Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
From this link elsewhere on that website:

quote:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
#
# row.cgi - v2.2
# 970611
# Tim Szeliga
#
# There are two parts to this script:
# Part1: Access RDB perl scripts
# Part2: CGI_handlers.pl
#
#
$CGIDIR='/cwis/www/faculty/jjoyce/cgi-bin';
$SRCDIR='/cwis/www/faculty/jjoyce/';
push(@INC,$SRCDIR);
push(@INC,$CGIDIR);
# require 'cgi_handlers.pl';
# require 'cgi_handlers.pl';
# require 'rdb.pl';
$type = "P";
$TYPE_str = "";

&get_request;
&html_header("Line References ");
&html_body("TEXT=\"#000000\" BGCOLOR=\"#aFbFDF\" VLINK=\"#0000FD\" LINK=\"#551A8A\" ALINK=\"#FE0000\"");

drat, this IS hard. I really appreciate Joyce's usage of HTML before the concept was even developed. His prose was far ahead of its time.

On a more serious note: I do not consider this in any way to be a novel, or even a thing worthy of reading. It is, in essence, a nonsensical litany of letters and (more rarely) words strung together. I appreciate novels which are written in a subversive or intriguing manner (see: House of Leaves for a less literary example) but I really think this is absolutely a fruitless read. Try Dubliners instead. There's even a centennial edition floating around which has a gorgeous cover and would look wonderful on a bookshelf, if you're into that sort of thing.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

CestMoi posted:

Also, yeah, my impression from reading people writing about Finnegan's Wake is that it's not in the least random, it is an insanely calculated book where every word has about 10 different reasons to be where it is, some of which you won't get unless you understand Russian puns on the etymology of Latin phrases.

Oh I'm sure it's not random. Joyce is a wonderful writer. I just have to wonder whether Joyce himself would've laughed at everyone writing theses and guides about this thing. I bet he would've.

• Locked thread