Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'll read it when I'm done with some of the books I'm reading now, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Also, yeah, my impression from reading people writing about Finnegan's Wake is that it's not in the least random, it is an insanely calculated book where every word has about 10 different reasons to be where it is, some of which you won't get unless you understand Russian puns on the etymology of Latin phrases.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

The story with Joyce is that he wrote 10 words a day and agonized over how to arrange them.

There's a cool joke story about this and you mucked it up!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

Oh I'm sure it's not random. Joyce is a wonderful writer. I just have to wonder whether Joyce himself would've laughed at everyone writing theses and guides about this thing. I bet he would've.

I think he would've thought it's good and tehn got back to writing incestuous poop stories to his wife.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Not sure why I should bother reading the deranged ramblings of a dying man that people keep insisting is a book when in fact it is not.

It is a book and furthermore, video games are art.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

Most of the time yeah, but we are talking about Joyce. There are about 5 people in the world who would read him if they couldn't tell anyone they've read him.

This but every book I've ever posted about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I just got Finnegans Wake and Tristram Shandy in my delivery from amazon and I looked in FInnegans Wake and one of the first names mentioned is SIr Tristram so I feel I should read Tristram Shandy first just in case that is related and I can get this one reference at the start.

• Locked thread