Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

johntfs posted:

With Juliette I think it's mostly a boundary thing. When we meet her and Nick it's pretty clear that they're in a long-term, committed relationship and probably have been for some time. Even if they aren't married, Juliette is kind of a "cop's wife." Once she finally got clued into the whole Grimm/Wesen thing, she was able to look at it from that aspect - that Nick was essentially kind of a special sort of cop. In some ways the revelation of the Grimm stuff made her relationship with Nick even better. She's friends with Monroe and Rosalee. She can even sometimes help Nick with his cases by using her knowledge of science and veterinary medicine. Life was good.

The came the latter part of last season. Nick's mother brought Adalind Schade, the hexenbitch who turned most of the previous season into Juliette's personal coma/amnesia hell, into her and Nick home to stay with them without asking. That didn't last, but then Nick decided to bring Trubel, a pretty, troubled, somewhat murderous young woman to stay in their home also without asking. Then Adalind stole Juliette's form and used it to seduce Nick in their own bed. Finally, Nick's boss was shot in their house by a guy who was then beheaded, also in their home.

Just look at Juliette's face as she's walking through the house looking at the blood, bullet holes, messed up bed and her nightgown (which Adalind wore). Her anger and resentment have coalesced into a cold fury at Adalind as the author of these continual violation of the sanctity of her home. It's been made fairly clear that Juliette is a somewhat territorial person. Violating Juliette's personal or living space is a sure way to draw her anger as witness what she did to the ogre in season 1 and the abuser in season 3 (and for that matter her driving off an obsessed Renard with gunfire in Season 2).

What we saw over the previous episode was Juliette's resentment of these repeated violations go from a generalized anger toward the universe at large (and certain people in it) to a cold, practical determination that Adalind will be continuing threat unless and until she's put down like a sick animal. And who better to put down a sick animal than a veterinarian?

I'm fairly certain you put a lot more thought into this post than the writers put into Juliette's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

hangedman1984 posted:

Not that I don't think Wu absolutely deserves to be clued in, but Juliet is awesome*.

*as long as she doesn't have amnesia

Yeah, it took them long enough but she's finally a real character. I said it before, I'll say it again, they handled Wu like a bunch of assholes. Should've brought him into the fold then.

Now there's probably going to be some awful you let me thinking I was crazy arc or something

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I don't know why there would be any scorn toward Juliette right now. She didn't banish Nick to the couch for sleeping with her. In fact, she embraced Nick in hopes to move past it. That is, until Adalind comes back.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm kind of interested to see what would happen if Adalind DID come back, honestly. Juliette seems like she'd be kind of scary pissed off. Don't forget, she may only be a vet but that means she has sharp objects and sedatives at her disposal, and the knowledge to use them effectively....

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Astrofig posted:

I'm kind of interested to see what would happen if Adalind DID come back, honestly. Juliette seems like she'd be kind of scary pissed off. Don't forget, she may only be a vet but that means she has sharp objects and sedatives at her disposal, and the knowledge to use them effectively....

I could see Juliette drawing some blood from Trubel and spiking it with pentobarbital (which vets use to euthanize animals). That way she removes Adalind's powers and makes sure she won't survive to get them back again.

On another Juliette thing, I noticed she made a point of touching or stroking Trubel right before she was questioned by police. It seemed odd. Then I realized that was probably exactly the sort of thing that Juliette would do to calm a nervous animal.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

What bugs me most about the Adalind subplot is that it reminds me how irritated I am at the main cast for being all shocked kidnapping a woman's baby would make her freak out. When she showed up all distraught on their doorsteps and they're all calling each other going, "She's there!? I don't know! Get rid of her!"

I have a hard time thinking of her as a total villain when I think of her as a mother ready to do anything to get her baby back. I know she's done a lot of evil stuff to establish herself as a villain in the past, I just wish they'd have use some other catalyst to make her do all of the things she's done for this go around.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I can see Adalind's side of thing. I get that she wants to get her baby back and doesn't really care all that much about the larger Royals/Resistance situation. I sympathize with Adalind to a degree. However I also see Juliette's side of things. Adalind has seduced and tried to murder Hank. She put Juliette herself into a coma whose aftereffects almost destroyed her life with Nick. Finally, she stole Juliette's form, seduced Nick and robbed him of his abilities.

So, sympathy or no, I can see validity to Juliette's apparent attitude of "next time I see that bitch, I'm gonna put her in the ground." Because it's clear that Adalind isn't going to stop. She'll learn from the Royals that they don't have the baby. Obviously the best place to start looking for it is with Sean Renard and his "Grimmy gang." Which means that Adalind (and multiple royal thugs) will be heading to Portland to use trickery, threats and torture to learn the location of the baby. Which brings us back to however justified Adalind may feel her actions to be, Nick and company are correct to believe that she has to be stopped.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

johntfs posted:

I can see Adalind's side of thing. I get that she wants to get her baby back and doesn't really care all that much about the larger Royals/Resistance situation. I sympathize with Adalind to a degree. However I also see Juliette's side of things. Adalind has seduced and tried to murder Hank. She put Juliette herself into a coma whose aftereffects almost destroyed her life with Nick. Finally, she stole Juliette's form, seduced Nick and robbed him of his abilities.

So, sympathy or no, I can see validity to Juliette's apparent attitude of "next time I see that bitch, I'm gonna put her in the ground." Because it's clear that Adalind isn't going to stop. She'll learn from the Royals that they don't have the baby. Obviously the best place to start looking for it is with Sean Renard and his "Grimmy gang." Which means that Adalind (and multiple royal thugs) will be heading to Portland to use trickery, threats and torture to learn the location of the baby. Which brings us back to however justified Adalind may feel her actions to be, Nick and company are correct to believe that she has to be stopped.

I agree, Juliette has a right to be pissed off. Adalind, regardless of what's going on is a manipulative villain and will do what she's gonna do, gently caress who it hurts. That's why I wish they gave her a less sympathetic catalyst to motivate her. I don't want to feel for her and be irritated at the protagonists, especially as they aren't playing her as a sympathetic antagonist. You just know as a viewer, "Man, that was hosed up."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, right after Adalind's baby was taken away, they did make a point of showing Adalind going to everyone else asking for help first. She let go of whatever anger or spite she felt about her mother being murdered, and she went to Nick to beg him for help.

It's only after everyone else has turned her down and left her with no one to turn to that she calls Viktor. You really can see her point of view, but it's because of all her previous actions and manipulation that they didn't feel comfortable sending her and her baby off together.

Nick and Hank also guessed correctly that Adalind's de-powering of Nick wasn't strictly personal, but something that the Royals asked her to do.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
4x02 – “Octopus Head”
The memory-stealing Wesen continues to roam Portland, putting Trubel into harms way. Nick wonders if attemptting to regain his Grimm powers is worth the toll it takes on his relationship with Juliette. Adalind returns to Vienna, expecting Viktor to have her baby.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
drat it, just bring Wu into it already!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I missed the 1st 10 minutes but pretty enjoyable episode with quite a few moving parts. And dammit I hated Trubel at first but she's really grown on me and is just a very likeable rascal. I love how she was just like "welp" after being attacked by the octopus man and the octopus man is having a complete psychological break. What I'm wondering is if he didn't steal some of her bad memories from along time ago when she didn't know she was a Grimm. I just found it interested that when she woke up the next day she seemed very cheerful and commented that she slept like a rock.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Trubel is one of the better additions to the show, she definitely rounds out the cast a bit.

Did Wu ever get his sofa cushion eating habit fixed?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, Trubel is one of the better additions to the show, she definitely rounds out the cast a bit.

Yeah, that was season 2 stuff.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Trubel's parts were the only parts I actually liked this episode. I'm poleaxed with dismay at the prospect of dragging out another barely connected European plot, they just keep dangling Wu well past the point where it made sense to let him know what's up, the SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOT bullshit with Nick's powers looks to be spinning into high gear... and now Trubel's been abducted by FBI Royal Bird Police. :suicide: I guess I'll keep pushing forward with this.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Party Plane Jones posted:

That was one of the weirdest but enjoyable subplots.

I still for whatever reason loved Juliet coming home to the portal to hell.

Grimm please do weird,crazy, and creepy poo poo you are the type of show that can totally get away with it!

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm poleaxed with dismay at the prospect of dragging out another barely connected European plot, they just keep dangling Wu well past the point where it made sense to let him know what's up, the SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOT bullshit with Nick's powers looks to be spinning into high gear... and now Trubel's been abducted by FBI Royal Bird Police. :suicide: I guess I'll keep pushing forward with this.

Really? I thought this European plot was way more connected once they added the "oh by the way we sort of share minds" between Adalind and Nick. Pretty sure they're going to tell Wu, other stuff just keeps getting in the way.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

The thing I like the least about this powered-down Nick is that Adalind was the one who caused it. Hexenbiests seem too over-powered. They've been able to do pretty much anything that the writers want them to do (put someone into a deep, traumatic coma; resurrect a dead person; get their powers back completely; de-power a Grimm; etc.). Maybe some of that is potions and not actual Hexenbiest powers, but it seems a bit ridiculous that the writers turn to Adalind for a lot of the main Grimm-problems that we've seen.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
My big problem with the octpous guy is their insertion of wesen drat near anytime they can shoe-horn it: remember when nick walked through the prison yard? 75% of those people woged. The royal FBI pepole are a hundjager and a--that guy who hunted the blue people who could see 360 degrees wesen--and that is the loving FBI. You are telling me this octo guy sucked memories from hell-of-important people and we are supposed to believe they were all human? He just now encountered someones whose memories frighten him? Oh, she is a grimm?!?! How would you know what those wesen are if you've never seen them? How are they different fro nightmares? OH. You have seen them. Like other wesen have. Yet you act like it is a mental breakdown because you saw the people you sucked their brains from? No sense. Anyway, he was an ill-thought-out stupid wesen with an even stupider subplot.

Espionage? How Ian Flemming of you. However I am going to guess the royals paid for the secrets, so now the owl FBI girl is now mad she killed octo-double-agent, and this is going to get stupider and stupider. And whoever said Trubel is killing it is spot on. Let nick and juliette never see wesen again and go retire to anything-but-this-show and make it monroe, rosalee, trubel, and captain.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Good-Natured Filth posted:

... it seems a bit ridiculous that the writers turn to Adalind for a lot of the main Grimm-problems that we've seen.

Adalind is the Avatar of Lazy-Writing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The thing I like the least about this powered-down Nick is that Adalind was the one who caused it. Hexenbiests seem too over-powered. They've been able to do pretty much anything that the writers want them to do (put someone into a deep, traumatic coma; resurrect a dead person; get their powers back completely; de-power a Grimm; etc.). Maybe some of that is potions and not actual Hexenbiest powers, but it seems a bit ridiculous that the writers turn to Adalind for a lot of the main Grimm-problems that we've seen.

Well, she is one of the major villains. She's got to have clout or it's not believable that Nick would work with her on those occasions when they're both against the Royals. Also while hexenbiests have a lot of power, they also have to put in a lot of work to use it. The most powerful things we've seen them do have all required major preparation. The sheer amount of poo poo Adalind had to go through to get her mojo back pales in comparison to how easy it was for Nick to steal it.

JD, I think you're sniping for the sake of it. Octopus Head always looked a bit sick after stealing memories and it was implied that they became his own. What he stole from Trubel was all the memories at the top of her mind, not of wesen but of being constantly having to live in fear of wesen. When he absorbed those memories and they became part of his life, he inherited the fear and unlike Trubel he broke under it. Meanwhile, Trubel has now lost all those memories and can sleep at night again.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

JD, I think you're sniping for the sake of it. Octopus Head always looked a bit sick after stealing memories and it was implied that they became his own. What he stole from Trubel was all the memories at the top of her mind, not of wesen but of being constantly having to live in fear of wesen. When he absorbed those memories and they became part of his life, he inherited the fear and unlike Trubel he broke under it. Meanwhile, Trubel has now lost all those memories and can sleep at night again.

The way he was also terrified of the fact that he had just absorbed grimm memories made it seem like they were somehow "poisonous," by their very nature of coming from a grimm. At least that's how I interpreted it.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

I thought Octopus head was terrified because he had absorbed the memory of being terrified. It reminded me of how genuinely distraught he seemed when his previous victim's girlfriend came home early and he had to kill her.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Grimms are bad ju-ju for Wesen. If ingesting her blood would have nullified his Wesen-ness, what did absorbing her memories do?

I think Octopus Head failed a saving throw vs madness.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Accretionist posted:

If ingesting her blood would have nullified his Wesen-ness

I'm pretty sure that's just Hexenbiests...

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I'm just looking forward to the epic showdown between Juliet and Adalind. Adalind is sooooo gonna get her rear end kicked.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I think there is definitely something about attempting to steal a Grimm's memories rather than it just being traumatic memories - there's no way he can't have been stealing memories for all this time without some bad poo poo popping up. It's probably like the infinite blackness Wesen see when they woge in front of a Grimm, except like a million times more intense.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I'm kinda hoping somebody tells Juliet that maybe Nick should have his powers because she's sooorta being stupid and selfish. Hmm gee whiz you mean that dude that killed a bunch of our friends is totally defenseless now and won't see us coming at all? We'll just let him get on with life I guess. :downs:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

The scary part is that Adalind doesn't seem to be a very good Hexenbiest - or at least, that's how the writers seem to portray her - unintentional or not.

She bit Nick in Season 1, which ended up costing her powers (although that might have been an instinctive reaction.) She didn't know how to open her mother's spellbook. And the power-stealing spell has backfired on her which she was apparently not expecting.

MildShow posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just Hexenbiests...

And that's probably just because they seem to use blood as a source for their spells/potions. I think Viktor specifically said that because she had ingested the blood of a Grimm, that meant she could take Nick's powers away, with the implication being that was because of the specific circumstances, not something she could do to any random Grimm.

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm kinda hoping somebody tells Juliet that maybe Nick should have his powers because she's sooorta being stupid and selfish. Hmm gee whiz you mean that dude that killed a bunch of our friends is totally defenseless now and won't see us coming at all? We'll just let him get on with life I guess. :downs:

That's certainly going to come up - Viktor specifically said that he'd have to verify that Nick lost his powers. (The FBI lady is not working for Viktor, because if she was, she would know he was supposed to be a Grimm but isn't.)

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Adalind is the Avatar of Lazy-Writing.

Haha I love this!

I think this last episode really tried to get all of the characters involved (except the beaver) and there are so many characters that all of them seemed under served especially Monroe and Rosalee. They just are juggling too many at this point and Adalind in Europe again is just uuhhg

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I really think the show'd be twice as good is they tightened up the scope.

Constraining Wesen/Royal global geopolitics to a scale manageable by A Few Cops & Friends is where all the awkwardness comes from, by my estimation. If they leave it at Renard making some calls and using his pull to establish Portland as a neutral city, it'd make for a cool atmosphere.

It'd also establish Portland as a Casablanca kind of deal. The wesen and royal crowd seem pretty eurocentric so what's one port city in the American hinterlands? You'd have a bastard royal, two grimm lieutenants and some henchmen to manage things. You'd also have a reason for the bizarrely high concentration of wesen.

And if they went that direction, they could write forever about building an underground city-state.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Capn Beeb posted:

It's a little stupid and selfish, but it's an understandable stupid and selfish. Juliette sees an opportunity to be shut of the danger and weirdness that's come into their lives since Nick's Grimmness activate. Plus, she's careful to reassure Monroe and Rosalee that they'd still be friends. That all said, however disingenuous it might have been, Juliette is right to say that it's ultimately Nick's decision and that he shouldn't be pressured into taking the cure.

Of course, event seem to moving into a place where he'll need to take the cure or have something really bad happen (like switching bodies with Adalind or somesuch).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think a telling thing she said was just before she left the tea shop: "I need more time to think."

Not Nick, or "we", but "I".

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I do like that Monroe was like, "Let's keep looking anyway..." They weren't close to finding a cure, and if in two days Nick comes bursting in desperate for his powers back because X wesen is trying to eat Juliette they would have to restart their search and still be a day or two (or however long) away from discovering how to neutralize the spell. Better to just keep working just in case (plus there's no way Nick doesn't want to be cured soon what with Adalind switching eyes with him or whatever).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hollylolly posted:

I do like that Monroe was like, "Let's keep looking anyway..." They weren't close to finding a cure, and if in two days Nick comes bursting in desperate for his powers back because X wesen is trying to eat Juliette they would have to restart their search and still be a day or two (or however long) away from discovering how to neutralize the spell. Better to just keep working just in case (plus there's no way Nick doesn't want to be cured soon what with Adalind switching eyes with him or whatever).

I would wager that Nick and Adalind are going to do a full body swap for an episode or two. Long enough at least to get her out of her cell.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've been watching the first season again, and jeez, the show really does start off pretty grim (no pun intended). By the time the wesen organ dealer episode shows up you're looking at a body count of over a dozen and if you count all those organs, probably close to a hundred given the size of the set. They did a good job at making organ harvesting even more creepy.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
Theresa got captured twice in the same episode. The writers could probably up their game.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
When are they going to let Wu in on the whole thing?

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Overweight Shark posted:

The writers could probably up their game.

Understatement of the thread. Why would I look forward to next episode? Depowered Nick with short-sighted-stupid-selfish Juliette problems with him being a Grimm, again? Adalind in a cell with occasional telepathy with nick. Wu asking questions that should have been answered when he saw the Aswang thing. Monroe and rosalee being relegated to lab research. Trubel now being caught and that little escapade.

I guess it will be interesting to see what is up with Captain and Sexy Hexenbeist Mom. That is the only arc that seems remotely interesting, and that will be all of 4 minutes of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I guess it will be interesting to see what is up with Captain and Sexy Hexenbeist Mom. That is the only arc that seems remotely interesting, and that will be all of 4 minutes of the episode.

"She's had some work done." I laughed, not going to lie.

• Locked thread