Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
play it, although you probably should not buy it from Steam because both Activision and Valve tag-teamed Troika Studios in its trusting virgin mouth and rear end and destroyed the company, so giving them both money seems kind of like you're enabling their past bullshit. Also you should totally get an unofficial patch for it because the game is nigh unplayable because it was rushed out the rear end thanks to Valve/Activision.

But anyway it's a very fun experience and it feels like Deus Ex but with cool vampires voiced by that one dude who voiced Bender in Futurama, the dad from Dexter's Lab, and that one girl from Avatar the Last Airbender and I wanna talk about it with other imps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
yeah, it's cool. shame about the awful sewer level though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

Sewer levels are always bad because they usually feature stupid bullshit like pipe puzzles, poisonous enemies or hazards, and wading through dookie.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Sewer levels are always bad because they usually feature stupid bullshit like pipe puzzles, poisonous enemies or hazards, and wading through dookie.

:agreed:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sewer level is super easy depending on what type of vampire you pick.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Also, what type of mods you choose, as well. The mods are fun as hell.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I don't think the problem is that it's difficult or easy, it's just really long and boring and unexciting.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's like the first three hubs are super good and awesome, and then after Hollywood everything goes down the tubes and it gradually becomes more and more of a hack-and-slash.

Dec 30, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

play it, although you probably should not buy it from Steam because both Activision and Valve tag-teamed Troika Studios in its trusting virgin mouth and rear end and destroyed the company, so giving them both money seems kind of like you're enabling their past bullshit. Also you should totally get an unofficial patch for it because the game is nigh unplayable because it was rushed out the rear end thanks to Valve/Activision.

what did valve do other than say that the game couldn't be released before hl2?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Guest posted:

what did valve do other than say that the game couldn't be released before hl2?

I don't think they let Troika use any updated version of Source they made during HL2's development, although I might be wrong. Still gently caress Activision though forever.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
This game is good, but I got to a segment where I had to fight a powerful vampire in the sewer and my combat skills were next-to-nonexistent and there was no alternate route, and all my saves were inside the sewer which I couldn't exit. So I stopped playing.

The haunted house was pretty cool.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
I was playing this recently, and yeah that sewer is super bad. Love the rest of the game though. The way you level up your character with a pool of points you increase every now and then feels really great.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

no

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
i like bloodlines a lot.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
It's a bad game with good walking around and talking to people bits, like most RPGs I guess, however the non walking around and talking to people bits in this games are really unbearable. I doubt I'll ever finish it at this point.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

AHungryRobot posted:

This and also all the dungeons in the game.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Ragg posted:

It's a bad game with good walking around and talking to people bits, like most RPGs I guess, however the non walking around and talking to people bits in this games are really unbearable. I doubt I'll ever finish it at this point.

Yeah. I've never really understand why people liked it so much.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Its got good story,characters, writing, voice acting, character design, the rpg mechanics are lifted from the pen and paper game, and despite being rushed out the door and buggy as hell,its still really good, and fun.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

DICKHEAD posted:

Yeah. I've never really understand why people liked it so much.

Same reason people play most other story driven rpgs.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
:agreed:

The unofficial patch thing threw me when I first bought it, but it is definitely worth it. Making someones blood boil to the point of exploding is always a good thing.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

worst sewer level was the one in the first dark forces game. Those octopus things freaked me the gently caress out as a kid and with a limited flashlight... gently caress that level.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it is a good game, though i am a proponent of the unofficial patch to augment the final version.

tremere supremacy

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Tremere are broken as hell

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Its got good story,characters, writing, voice acting, character design, the rpg mechanics are lifted from the pen and paper game, and despite being rushed out the door and buggy as hell,its still really good, and fun.

Agreed.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I noclipped through the sewer part though and don't feel bad about it at all.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I noclipped through the sewer part though and don't feel bad about it at all.

I played through it legitimately once, because I'd feel like less of a gamer if I hadn't, but from then on it's been noclip.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SunAndSpring posted:

Tremere are broken as hell

oh yes

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I am disappointed that no more World of Darkness RPGs have been made since VTMB, although to be honest I doubt that there are many studios that would make a good game of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

I am disappointed that no more World of Darkness RPGs have been made since VTMB, although to be honest I doubt that there are many studios that would make a good game of it.
werent they trying to make an mmo for a bit, what happened to that

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Canceled, and it was being done by the EVE guys, so uh *joke about blood mining*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i liked this sewer level:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

Everyone who managed it was literally retarded and CCP would often just take employees off to make another stupid EVE Online expansion pack (aka new space rocks to add to your mining spreadsheets).

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

quote:

Most of the sources spoken to for this piece identified the same problematic CCP manager, who had little vision for what the finished game would look like.

“Not once could he answer any question about moment-to-moment gameplay or areas of focus,” says one source. “Instead, he preferred to deliver buzzword-laden rambles… It was not uncommon for him to communicate in onomatopoeia.

"I once saw him looking over the shoulder of a programmer at some bit of User Interface the poor guy had hacked together. He straightened up, put fingers to lips and said, ‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’ He hissed on his loving fingertips, like the air coming out of a bicycle tire, and then just walked away.”

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Ragg posted:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

What the hell is wrong with you.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
its a good game i liked it

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I played a Brujah and jacked Celerity all the way up. This let me enter hyper-speed mode, where I could stroll pleasantly around a hail of bullets, kill everyone who was shooting at me with a hedge trimmer, then grab the last guy and completely drain him of blood before the bodies hit the floor.

I quite literally ran rings around the final boss.

anyways this is a Good Game and you should play it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Its got good story,characters, writing, voice acting, character design

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

pretty much lol if you didn't type money 10000000 in the console

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The best thing about it imo is that you don't get xp for killing grunts so playing a stealth/conversation based character is viable. Also making people strangle themselves to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

redweird posted:

Also making people strangle themselves to death.

I never tried this. I failed.

• Locked thread