Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Effectronica posted:

It's the Old World of Darkness. Katanas, trenchcoats lined with kevlar, and other proto-Matrix stuff are for sale at the local convenience stores

Specifically, at the Red Spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

could a WoD mage take on werewolves and poo poo?

If they're experienced and prepared, easily. That's why you always ambush a wizard because if they know you're coming, they'll just make traps or whatever.

Basically it's like this

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One of the things I really like about Bloodlines is that its like one of the few very WRPGs that doesn't constantly fellate you. You're a lowly green vampire and even though you can shake things up you're still just a pawn in other people's plans. I also like that the Antediluvian was fake because a bunch of vampires freaking out that the sky if falling is funny. I was actually kind of disappointed that them being still alive is true.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The best part about Bloodlines is Gehenna takes place a couple weeks or months after the events of the game iirc so no matter who you side with you're all hosed anyways. RIP I liked all the pre-gehenna stuff on the news too.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Accordion Man posted:

One of the things I really like about Bloodlines is that its like one of the few very WRPGs that doesn't constantly fellate you. You're a lowly green vampire and even though you can shake things up you're still just a pawn in other people's plans. I also like that the Antediluvian was fake because a bunch of vampires freaking out that the sky if falling is funny. I was actually kind of disappointed that them being still alive is true.

The best apocalyptic scenario for the World of Darkness was one where God returned, saw what Caine had done after being cursed, and responded by turning off the part of the world that let vampires exist. The PCs end up in a church with a couple other refugees, the guy/gal who vamped one of them, and an ancient vampire. They have 40 days and 40 nights to make good with God, and if they succeed, they become normal humans again, and if not, they turn into dust.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah what's cool is that VTM is all about not being in control and trying to wrangle what little you can: you're being pulled around by your elders they're being pulled around by theirs and they're being pulled around by the antideluvians and everybody's being pulled around by the beast and you just gotta stab enough backs to get a LITTLE bit more

That's why the sourcebooks always have stuff you explicitly can't do like kill Caine: they're integral mechanics

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

The best apocalyptic scenario for the World of Darkness was one where God returned, saw what Caine had done after being cursed, and responded by turning off the part of the world that let vampires exist. The PCs end up in a church with a couple other refugees, the guy/gal who vamped one of them, and an ancient vampire. They have 40 days and 40 nights to make good with God, and if they succeed, they become normal humans again, and if not, they turn into dust.

i still say the best one was the "Ancients Rise" scenario were all the antediluvians wake up, overthrow human society, carve the world into fiefdoms and battle it out through the final nights. some gangrel methuselah uses epic protean to raise tenochtitlan from beneath mexico city, nosferatu rides around in the guts of a ghouled allosaurus hunting down other ancients with an army of monsters, the malkavian mind-virus goes pandemic. it's all good fun till the tzimisce flesh-virus goes global.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

zeal posted:

i still say the best one was the "Ancients Rise" scenario were all the antediluvians wake up, overthrow human society, carve the world into fiefdoms and battle it out through the final nights. some gangrel methuselah uses epic protean to raise tenochtitlan from beneath mexico city, nosferatu rides around in the guts of a ghouled allosaurus hunting down other ancients with an army of monsters, the malkavian mind-virus goes pandemic. it's all good fun till the tzimisce flesh-virus goes global.

Isn't there one.with like a salubri solar laser or something?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
to each their own but i gotta agree with effectronica. god telling a bunch of vamps that think they're hot poo poo, that no, actually, you can all get hosed is pretty funny.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ForeverSmug posted:

Isn't there one.with like a salubri solar laser or something?

I thought it was a Technocracy laser.

Also I know nothing about Mage, honestly, so I'm gonna ask a stupid question: Can a Mage throw fireballs and other obvious poo poo as much as he wants if no Sleepers are around to see it?

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

The sourcebook tells you they're all for specific game styles, which is real cool. So.if you wanna fight a huge war then you do one, I think one gives all vampires superpowers or something so if yo want.to do the matrix you do that one, and the God one is if you want a quiet story-driven end.

I think that ones canon though because in.the mage novels some.of.the mages are like "hey where the vamps at" and they're like "they just kinda disappeared" and nobody really notices which is pretty somber

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Also I know nothing about Mage, honestly, so I'm gonna ask a stupid question: Can a Mage throw fireballs and other obvious poo poo as much as he wants if no Sleepers are around to see it?

Oh yeah. That's what kills Tzimisce I think.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm pretty sure that you can, or at least accumulate Paradox at a miniscule rate comparatively.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ForeverSmug posted:

The sourcebook tells you they're all for specific game styles, which is real cool. So.if you wanna fight a huge war then you do one, I think one gives all vampires superpowers or something so if yo want.to do the matrix you do that one, and the God one is if you want a quiet story-driven end.

I think that ones canon though because in.the mage novels some.of.the mages are like "hey where the vamps at" and they're like "they just kinda disappeared" and nobody really notices which is pretty somber

All of the Time of Judgement stuff is non-canonical with the 20th anniversary editions. Probably the Sixth Great Maelstrom is also non-canonical too

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

could a WoD mage take on werewolves and poo poo?

Well duh considering their level 100 they can take on most things.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

All of the Time of Judgement stuff is non-canonical with the 20th anniversary editions. Probably the Sixth Great Maelstrom is also non-canonical too

What about the Week of Nightmares? Ravnos devouring his childer and fighting a days' long duel with three kuei-jin bodhisattvas in the heart of a typhoon? And they all get wrecked by a Technocracy spirit nuke?

e: Well, Ravnos dies and his childer devour each other in suicide frenzy, but the net effect is a lot fewer vamp-gypsies flouncing about.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 26, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

zeal posted:

What about the Week of Nightmares? Ravnos devouring his childer and fighting a days' long duel with three kuei-jin bodhisattvas in the heart of a typhoon? And they all get wrecked by a Technocracy spirit nuke?

e: Well, Ravnos dies and his childer devour each other in suicide frenzy, but the net effect is a lot fewer vamp-gypsies flouncing about.

I don't have Vampire20th but I think that's still in there.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

this is indeed the best scenario, i ran a Transylvania Chronicles game right through into this and it was baller - Nosferatu and all his poo poo caused 1 player death before getting chomped on by Gangrel-as-natural-disaster it was all pretty metal

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

My general rule of thumb is "if it's cool or good, white wolf will remove it"

Requiem can suck my dick

You know how I was talking earlier about how being a toady mobster was built into the core game mechanics? Well in Requiem, all vampires have to sleep longer the stronger they are, which essentially takes them back down to level 1. So you can hunt down a supervamp and kill him in his sleep no problem. It was done under the premise of "balance" for PCs, but in reality it just makes things that used to be a huge deal trivial and it's loving bullshit.

Like, masquerade is kinda a misnomer because the masquerade isn't really the number one most important thing in the game, but you can't really call a game jihad because :lol:

I mean I guess the enforcement of the masquerade is what entrenches the controlling powers but w/e

On the subject of Masquerade though, I never liked how the sabbat got elevated to player status later on; they were really good villains but trying to make them seem "justified" later on made them sorta poo poo and felt really forced. I mean I know people wanted an excuse to play lasombra and steamroll everything but that's like getting to play a mind flayer or.aomething in D&D

Really the whole thing about vampire is that it works best when you're given limitations. I guess that's why it makes such a good video game

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

And ooooh yeah it was ravnos that was killed by the laser I think

Somebody gets killed with a laser

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Week_of_Nightmares

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grim posted:

this is indeed the best scenario, i ran a Transylvania Chronicles game right through into this and it was baller - Nosferatu and all his poo poo caused 1 player death before getting chomped on by Gangrel-as-natural-disaster it was all pretty metal

Doesn't that scenario end with a last stand in Salt Lake City with Saulot? Did your group get that far?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
indeed it does, Tremere (in the body of Goratrix) tracked the party down and gets their rear end to Salt Lake then uses a copy of the Human Genome Project data + Mormon genealogy records to perform a ritual only it gets hijacked by Tzimisce, players fight through some horrible monsters and then Saulot (who my players know to be a loving evil poo poo oval office and they have been a thorn in his side for a while) comes along and in the books is like "i'm a happy helpful hippy lets pray this problem away!" but in my game was like "gently caress, i'm too late to stop that idiot Tremere and once again my failure is your fault! that's it i'm gonna summon some evil poo poo" and then because an actual fight with an actual Antediluvian would be stupid we narrated out a bit of stuff and the fact that there were barely any humans left in the world (having been driven irreparably mad by Malkav or physically transformed into mutants by Tzimisce) and Saulot is summoning heinous poo poo and the earth is hosed God finally turns around (literally the Red Star turns around and it's just a big eye) and is like "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention, what's th- wait what the gently caress? nope, try again" and so God wipes the slate clean(ish) leaving the players as the only Vampires left and the world in shambles

so with the final session of that game drawing to a close the Gangrel player turns to me and says he wants to try and Diablerize the rest of the party and that's where we left it

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ForeverSmug posted:

My general rule of thumb is "if it's cool or good, white wolf will remove it"

Requiem can suck my dick

You know how I was talking earlier about how being a toady mobster was built into the core game mechanics? Well in Requiem, all vampires have to sleep longer the stronger they are, which essentially takes them back down to level 1. So you can hunt down a supervamp and kill him in his sleep no problem. It was done under the premise of "balance" for PCs, but in reality it just makes things that used to be a huge deal trivial and it's loving bullshit.

Like, masquerade is kinda a misnomer because the masquerade isn't really the number one most important thing in the game, but you can't really call a game jihad because :lol:

I mean I guess the enforcement of the masquerade is what entrenches the controlling powers but w/e

On the subject of Masquerade though, I never liked how the sabbat got elevated to player status later on; they were really good villains but trying to make them seem "justified" later on made them sorta poo poo and felt really forced. I mean I know people wanted an excuse to play lasombra and steamroll everything but that's like getting to play a mind flayer or.aomething in D&D

Really the whole thing about vampire is that it works best when you're given limitations. I guess that's why it makes such a good video game

No, it wasn't. It was done to move things away from Masquerade and the Jyhad by eliminating the ability of ancient vampires to control society or use grand alliances of vampires as their pawns. This is also why high Blood Potency means you have to drink from other vampires- elder vampires are dependent on younger ones as more than just pawns, either as willing food supply or as guards to protect you while you nap to thin out your blood. All of the nWOD lines significantly shifted how the characters interact with the world in this way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ForeverSmug posted:

You know how I was talking earlier about how being a toady mobster was built into the core game mechanics?
It's not, though. Being Louis from the Anne Rice books was built into the game mechanics, and playing vampire mobsters is what people actually did. So when they made Requiem they made it a vampire mobster game.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
i like the owod lore a lot but i havent read a lot of it.i have the vampir ethe masquerade core rulebook and the players guide and the clan novel toreador

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

bonzibuddy64 posted:

i like the owod lore a lot but i havent read a lot of it.i have the vampir ethe masquerade core rulebook and the players guide and the clan novel toreador

Get the compiled novels instead. All the clan novel toreador poo poo is boring and gay and it's real hard to push through. That character.gets way cooler later though so it balances out.

Also all the hesha stuff later gets loving annoying.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

oWoD is real bad. i've only really got experience of oMage vs. nMage but the former is epic SCIENCE men and 'natives with magic drums' as far as the eye can see.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
damsel was hot as heck

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

oWoD is real bad. i've only really got experience of oMage vs. nMage but the former is epic SCIENCE men and 'natives with magic drums' as far as the eye can see.

eat poo poo human being

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

ForeverSmug posted:

eat poo poo human being

im going to unmake you with fate 5

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ForeverSmug posted:

eat poo poo human being

Samuel Haight, motherfucker

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Samuel Haight, motherfucker

The worlds most dangerous ashtray

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Dont be haightin

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i hope they have a cool ashtray as a stretch goal for the Wraith20 kickstarter

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ForeverSmug posted:

It makes a good video game because there's so much lore to draw on, and b/c they can't just make you stand around watching elders blah blah blah. Only the Japanese would make a CRPG like that, and they don't have to stick to the tabletop rules either.

The stuff you do in the game actually kind of makes sense with the tabletop rules if you assume you are a neonate with Generation 5 because an elder embraced you for stupid reasons. Which is what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Grim posted:

i hope they have a cool ashtray as a stretch goal for the Wraith20 kickstarter

Put a little chip in it that emits a low, barely-noticeable moan every day or so

• Locked thread