Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Namtab posted:

This hand of mine glows with a mediocre power

Heheh.

"This hand of mine is lukewarm and dark! It's tepid fire tells me to... uh... monologue and hope you go away!"

I'm really looking forward to finding out what the hell the other gang are planning by kidnapping Hatoko, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm really looking forward to finding out what the hell the other gang are planning by kidnapping Hatoko, though.

Teach her to appreciate chuuni, I'm sure. Can't have a girl running around with a super power and not even attempt to be cool about it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

The_White_Crane posted:

Heheh.

"This hand of mine is lukewarm and dark! It's tepid fire tells me to... uh... monologue and hope you go away!"

They've also got superpowers and they're not finding any villains. The only other group of people they've found with powers probably won't knock over any banks, so if they want to have totally sweet superpower fights, then they need a good excuse.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Einander posted:

They've also got superpowers and they're not finding any villains. The only other group of people they've found with powers probably won't knock over any banks, so if they want to have totally sweet superpower fights, then they need a good excuse.

...Isn't having cool superpowers a good excuse to have totally sweet superpower fights? They did that in the very first episode!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah but then its not serious man.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

At the risk of further creating an echo chamber, goddamn that meltdown was magnificent. I messaged people who don't even watch the show to rave about how incredible it was. At the end I was expecting the shadowy figures to be the Lit Club coming with Andou to apologize and everything would be okay at the end. Nope, PLOT! That's awesome too. Glad I stuck with this show.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

More like the real dork flame master.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well that got weird. At least there's sort of an explanation to it all. A fairy did it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm hoping that episode it the only backstory explanation we get and the rest of the series is just SoL again. :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd definitely watch an anime about the other crew though.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
It's even better that there's a real secret conspiracy of people with superpowers and evil fairies and the most chuuni things imaginable that Andou never has any contact with at all.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm hoping that episode it the only backstory explanation we get and the rest of the series is just SoL again. :v:
Nah, I hope we see more of the other team in the background. The main characters can't get involved though.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Sakurazuka posted:

I really wasn't a fan of all the set up in the first part of the episode but if that's it and it is never mentioned again then that would be pretty great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Where did Mired go anyway? We haven't really seen her since ep 2 and I think an upgrade of her power could be cool. Maybe copying instead of stealing powers, and swapping them around between users?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm pretty happy with how things turned out, even if the interpersonal drama seemed to be "wrapped up" a little too quickly and cleanly (I mean it's not really, but y'know, for now)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

Where did Mired go anyway? We haven't really seen her since ep 2 and I think an upgrade of her power could be cool. Maybe copying instead of stealing powers, and swapping them around between users?

IIRC, someone on /a/ said that Mirei doesn't really appear until later on in the LNs so it was weird to introduce her so early on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Her introduction was the funniest thing so far and convinced me to keep watching the show so I can see why they decided to put it in the first three episodes.

Also this episode was fantastic.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo the punchlines for this episode are so great.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So, it's basically a magical cock-fighting ring then?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Rexides posted:

So, it's basically a magical cock-fighting ring then?

For your grammar edification: this is a case where you want to remove the hyphen. You've run into a "help my uncle Jack off a horse" versus "help my uncle jack off a horse" situation.

Unless that's what you meant, in which case no. No, that is not what is happening.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This is all over the place. What about the events of last episode? There are not many more left and this and the next episode seem to be completely unrelated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a show about everyday life, the stuff that happened last week is not everyday life so the show is not about that.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a show about everyday life, the stuff that happened last week is not everyday life so the show is not about that.
Basically. I mean the last episode was almost an explicit message of "the show is not about that" what with none of the conflict resolution on the main team's side having anything to do with all the fairy war bullshit. They were explicitly kept out of all poo poo, so they're still separate from it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think Hatoko is becoming my favorite character of this show. First that speech, and then her just straight up telling the other girl she likes Andou and trying to get some kind of answer out of her if there's going to be a conflict over him.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Twiddy posted:

Basically. I mean the last episode was almost an explicit message of "the show is not about that" what with none of the conflict resolution on the main team's side having anything to do with all the fairy war bullshit. They were explicitly kept out of all poo poo, so they're still separate from it.

After Sayumi's scene in the bathroom, I'm not actually so sure. That guy's talk of "being a reader" and wanting to see a more interesting story strikes a pretty different note after the revelation that fairies are using their world as a glorified TV station. And the club also has powers, which are fairy-granted.

Now, two points of data isn't a pattern, and both of those can be explained away... But I'm starting to suspect we got a double fake-out, where the main characters are involved in fairy reality TV, just not the battle kind of fairy reality TV.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Einander posted:

After Sayumi's scene in the bathroom, I'm not actually so sure. That guy's talk of "being a reader" and wanting to see a more interesting story strikes a pretty different note after the revelation that fairies are using their world as a glorified TV station. And the club also has powers, which are fairy-granted.

Now, two points of data isn't a pattern, and both of those can be explained away... But I'm starting to suspect we got a double fake-out, where the main characters are involved in fairy reality TV, just not the battle kind of fairy reality TV.

Final episode post credit reveal: We are the fairies. Except without cute wings.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Einander posted:

My inclination watching the last episode was that this was the battle. Battle of the harem. Someone on the other team's power is making them get all emotional.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

AfroSquirrel posted:

Final episode post credit reveal: We are the fairies. Except without cute wings.

Nah, I don't think they're going for that masturbatory bullshit here, they'll just reveal that another group was also watching the MCs the whole time. Our POV might be their camera, but we're not the fairies.

AnacondaHL posted:

My inclination watching the last episode was that this was the battle. Battle of the harem. Someone on the other team's power is making them get all emotional.

I think that if the MCs were in the normal fairy war, they'd have gotten a fairy to explain it to them, like Hajime's group has. Now, it's possible that someone else screwed up and picked targets that aren't actually involved, but if that was the case then I think someone would tell them to cut that poo poo out, especially since Hajime's sister is in that group (dude seems legit scary) and the fairy war is apparently designed to mimimize disruption in the world.

Nah, the timing just seems like circumstances. It's a big break after they've had a lot of time to adjust to their powers. Andou's basically group leader on what to do with the powers, and they mostly use them to hang out and have fun, so they're all a lot closer, and they're faced with just not seeing each other much for a few months.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
So...Andou's leveled up power? The only thing that would be more fail than a stupid little flame that doesn't do anything would be a ridiculous huge flame that only burned its controller. So that's what I'm going with.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
From the way the other kids were acting, I imagine its something genuinely uncontrollable and powerful, perhaps even enough for it to require all the other kids's powers to stop.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 3, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davinci posted:

From the way the other kids were acting, I imagine its something genuinely uncontrollable and powerful, perhaps even enough for it to require all the other kids's powers to stop.

That would be so lame.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I figure they're gonna go for a comedy option because that sorta seems the most likely. The power is probably something that's hella embarrassing. Like it burned off Andou's clothes or whatever.

Also Hatoko is still the best girl.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I figure they're gonna go for a comedy option because that sorta seems the most likely. The power is probably something that's hella embarrassing. Like it burned off Andou's clothes or whatever.

Shoot, maybe thats why they all like him so much.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Great Rumbler posted:

So...Andou's leveled up power? The only thing that would be more fail than a stupid little flame that doesn't do anything would be a ridiculous huge flame that only burned its controller. So that's what I'm going with.

Well, he wasn't obviously hurt, but everyone was desperate to stop him using it again.
I'm guessing it just set off the sprinklers.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

The_White_Crane posted:

Well, he wasn't obviously hurt, but everyone was desperate to stop him using it again.

He could have been burned near to death and Takanashi's power would still have been able to return him to perfect health, so that's not really a good indicator.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm guessing it just set off the sprinklers.

Seems likely, there's no way he's getting a legit power-up.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I was really hoping that this episode would reveal that Andou's awakened power was just another useless dark flame on his other hand so he could dual wield them.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Andou's scream at the end of the previous episode sounded pretty real though. Maybe there's actually a demon inside his right arm now? I could see it happening.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

KasaiAisu posted:

Andou's scream at the end of the previous episode sounded pretty real though. Maybe there's actually a demon inside his right arm now? I could see it happening.

But that would actually be cool, which would be lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

KasaiAisu posted:

It's Andou. He'd scream even if it didn't hurt at all.

• Locked thread