Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Earwicker posted:

There is kind of a big difference between someone just being naked, and someone taking a poo poo when you are trying to use a small enclosed space like a bathroom. The difference being, specifically, the fact that poo poo smells disgusting. Also, if your partner asks you not to intrude on them like that, and you do it anyway (which is the example that was brought up here), that's pretty hosed up.

I think it varies by couple. My wife is a nurse who deals with piss and poo poo all day so if I want to take a poo poo while she's in the shower, it doesn't bother her. If the situation is reversed, it doesn't bother me because sometimes you really just need to take a poo poo and I'd rather deal with a bad smell than have my wife stand around in pain while I finish showering.

Honestly, "it varies by couple" would be my answer to every question in this thread. All couples are different, and it's just a matter of talking out (or lucking into) a situation that you're comfortable with. Just be patient, be ready to compromise, and remember that if you fight, it's not the end of the world - you're both human and humans are hosed up and make mistakes sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Koivunen posted:

I am a nurse and have to deal with piss and poo poo all day. I don't want to be smelling it at home after smelling it all day at work. Showering is supposed to make you feel clean, and bathing in poo poo smell is disgusting. People deserve a little personal space every now and then regardless of how long you've been together, and the bathroom should be an alone-zone.

Thus the, "it varies by couple." If you're not comfortable with that, then you need to work that out with your partner in a mature manner and reach a compromise. That's how healthy relationships work.

Or did you just skip over that part in your righteous quest to lay some truth on the shower-making GBS threads infidels?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Koivunen posted:

Or you could just say "don't poo poo while I'm showering" or "I don't care if you poo poo while I'm showering." It only needs to be said once, this isn't a sit-down conversation topic. Lol at "working it out."

In most long-term relationships where you're moving in together, stuff like that does actually need to be discussed. You're invading each other's privacy. Some people are more comfortable with (literal and figurative) poo poo than others, and talking out issues like that is what mature people who love and respect each other do.

quote:

I'm glad you're so passionate about pooping in the same space as your spouse, though. Really shows true, mature love. But why, knowing that your wife smells poo poo all day long, would you choose to fill her nostrils with your butt stink voluntarily? Give her a break.

The shower-making GBS threads is mutual, actually. We're both comfortable with it. If one of us wasn't comfortable with it, we would talk it out and work out a compromise - like, say, if one of us has to go, then the other should hurry up and finish their shower.

If you've never dealt with issues like that - let alone assuming that laying down ultimatums would be in any way productive - then you obviously haven't had a live-in SO who could put up with you for very long.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 25, 2014

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Smoothrich posted:

Talking about a relationship is so embarrassing for everyone involved. My advice is to respect the boundaries of implied relationship confidentiality and don't go telling strangers sick and hilarious on the spectrum autistic behavior between you and your partner and the years of conditioning yourself to think it's normal.

The point wasn't to talk about pooping habits, but rather as an example to stress the fact that you need to communicate with your partner. Working off of "implied relationship confidentiality" is great and all until you realize that, surprise, you and your partner assumed completely different things and never communicated about them and now you're furious at each other for completely stupid poo poo.

Koivunen posted:

I've been living with my boyfriend for four years come February. We don't invade each other's privacy because it's disrespectful and literally an invasion of privacy. Giving someone the space they deserve is more mature than making someone hurry up with their shower because you can't hold in your poop for five more minutes. How often have you been pooping with your wife in the bathroom that you needed to have a discussion and make a compromise about it?

Why are you so angry about this? It's really weird to be attacking strangers on the internet because they disagree with your opinions on making GBS threads in front of other people.

Why are you so angry about this to the point where you're projecting your fear of offending your precious senses on to my spouse?

E: And to clarify, "talking" doesn't mean, "hey honey, we need to sit down and talk about pooping." It means that, if your spouse is in pain from holding in his/her poo poo and you're in the shower, there needs to be communication and discussion more than, "don't poop when I'm in the shower bitch, what, you really have to go? I dunno go poo poo in the woods or something." Again, this is just an example. Remember: When you assume, you make an "rear end" out of you and me.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread