Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Grimwit posted:

There is an H, and two Os, which is the chemical formula for water.

That's the darndest thing though. Water is not HO2. It's H2O. HO2 is not even a stable molecule, but a highly reactive radical called hydroperoxyl. Is that a clue somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That's the darndest thing though. Water is not HO2. It's H2O. HO2 is not even a stable molecule, but a highly reactive radical called hydroperoxyl. Is that a clue somehow?

:stare: Holy crap, you're right.

I wrote that.
I wrote it and proof read it and read it with my voice then edited the audio file and put picture to it.
Never once did I think about it! HO2 is not water!

But it is "H and two O's" which I guess is meant to make you think H2O, cuz nothing else fits. Everything else is fish related.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, I always read it as "Aitch Two Ohs" which would indeed make "H2O", Water. That was, quite literally, the only clue I got on my own because I am no good at this, so please, please let me at least have this one thing so I can feel a little intelligent. :v:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Guys, it's not a chemical formula, it's a rebus, like practically everything else in this maze. This is definitely referring to water, not HO2. H + OO = H + Two O = H2O.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
No comment that the map of the basement looks like a key?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

i81icu812 posted:

No comment that the map of the basement looks like a key?

I haven't watched the video yet, but didn't Grimwit draw that map?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Wasn't there also a hint about how you could still get out of the basement by turning around and leaving the way you came? That one only came in the description, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tevery Best posted:

Wasn't there also a hint about how you could still get out of the basement by turning around and leaving the way you came? That one only came in the description, though.

That wasn't in a basement room, it was in a room with three doors where the only one that didn't put you in the basement was the one you came in.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Grimwit, I have to request that at the end of videos, when you ask people for further clues, you finish with "You have roughly 24 hours."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Grimwit, I have to request that at the end of videos, when you ask people for further clues, you finish with "You have roughly 24 hours."

Until... what? :tinfoil:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

KillHour posted:

Until... what? :tinfoil:

Solve the Maze to find out.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Time to see what all this surreal puzzles are about.

A new Solution Video.

Oddly, this isn't the longest video, even tho it covers the most amount of rooms.:psyduck:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

So, here's a thing I've been thinking about. This video (and earlier hints) imply there are "correct ways to go" on the ground floor. But... we've already found a 16-step path, and it doesn't even touch the ground floor outside of room 1. Could we have the wrong path? I'm still not seeing any other paths that are short enough. Are we missing a secret exit, like door 17? Or is there a second path in the maze with some other meaning altogether? What does "the right door" mean in rooms that don't seem to be part of the shortest path..?

(Following Grimwit's "right doors" takes us on the roundtrip around the ground floor; 21 -> 44 -> 18 -> 13 -> 25 -> 34 -> 10 -> 41 -> 1. Nine steps. Is there something hidden there?

By the way, I'm enjoying that the puzzles occasionally require 60s-Batman level logic to figure out. Makes me feel better about not getting them, ahem.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 1, 2014

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
For room 41, the Chutes and Ladders room: Of 1, 10, 35, and 38, only square 1 is the start of a ladder, so maybe that's how the clue's supposed to work? On the other hand, none of of the other squares are the start of a chute, and indeed 38 is the end of the ladder from 1, so it might just be a coincidence.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This video (and earlier hints) imply there are "correct ways to go" on the ground floor. But... we've already found a 16-step path, and it doesn't even touch the ground floor outside of room 1.

Each room you guy walk into, there seems to be either a correct choice to take you through the path or, failing that, to the shortest route back to room 1. The only exception is the Basement where there is no correct path.

S'why I though the arrow in Room 40 didn't point TO door 38, but AWAY FROM door 11.

And yeah, Christopher Manson is actually the Riddler.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So, here's a thing I've been thinking about. This video (and earlier hints) imply there are "correct ways to go" on the ground floor. But... we've already found a 16-step path, and it doesn't even touch the ground floor outside of room 1. Could we have the wrong path? I'm still not seeing any other paths that are short enough. Are we missing a secret exit, like door 17? Or is there a second path in the maze with some other meaning altogether? What does "the right door" mean in rooms that don't seem to be part of the shortest path..?

(Following Grimwit's "right doors" takes us on the roundtrip around the ground floor; 21 -> 44 -> 18 -> 13 -> 25 -> 34 -> 10 -> 41 -> 1. Nine steps. Is there something hidden there?

By the way, I'm enjoying that the puzzles occasionally require 60s-Batman level logic to figure out. Makes me feel better about not getting them, ahem.

The "correct doors" on the ground floor get you back to room 1 as quickly as possible so you can start on the correct path as opposed to wandering around in circles or going into the basement.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

To get back to the whole letters thing we saw crop up twice on previous pages... I'm still thinking that, given the Atlas clue, we want "shoulders" somehow. Appropriately enough, that's nine letters, same as the number of steps. Room 8 has an S, room 12 has DU, room 39 has an R, room 20 has another S and that... extra S. The maze in room 4 hides an "L", like established, and I thought "SDURLSS" was pretty close to an anagram of "shoulders", but it's missing an H, an E, and an O. Ineffable made a good case for some additional letters... well, what if he's half right? Room 15 has hat/heart/hare/heroes/house, so that could give us the H we need. In room 37, the net casts a shadow of an "O" on the floor. In room 8, the weird table is in the shape of an "E". All in all, that's enough to form an anagram of "shoulders" (plus the extra S) on the back path.

Still... there is one thing that bothers me. Way back at the start, Grimwit mentioned "the riddle of the room" and "the riddle of the path" as two separate things. Are they meant to be two riddles with one answer, or two riddles each with a separate answer?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The ground floor is referred to a lot on sites I've read as the "loop" as it just meanders around in circles not actually getting anywhere. No doors in the loop lead into the correct path, while rooms
on the path lead out of the path to the loop or the trap.

So the "correct" doors in the loop just get you out of the loop back to the start of the path and don't take you deeper into the loop or down to the trap.

That one apple is probably by the correct door because apples are associated with enlightenment, think about the apple that fell on Issac Newton.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Completely nonsensical:
slaughterhouse is a 'house none will live in'.

And you play with anagrams, shoulders daughter = DDR Slaughterhouse, which is of course a Kurt Vonnegut reference. Maybe the guide is Billy Pilgrim.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
It's really fun to watch people speculate over the solutions, and watching the video which sums these up.

I do wonder though how many of the clues are clues, and how many are just seeing faces in the cloud, Jesus's face in a pancake or that states with an R in their name always vote Republican in decades beginning with an odd number, etc. What with the pictures and text we have so much information that we could make a case for any of the doors in any room.

I always think that an ideal puzzle should be somehow analogous an NP problems in computer science; it should be really difficult from the information given to get to the solution, but to verify the solution should be easy. For instance, to work out "Which [London] tube station has no letters from the word 'Badger'" is hard - there are 270-odd tube stations, and you need to systematically exclude each. To verify that 'Pimlico' is a valid solution is easy - just look at it.

The puzzles here though are not like that at all. Most of the time we know the solution, and actually working out what the puzzle is, and what the clues are is the difficult bit. Ultimately I think it's somewhat unsatisfying - there isn't that "Oh Yeah!" moment of revelation.

NeoAnjou fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 1, 2014

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

NeoAnjou posted:

Ultimately I think it's somewhat unsatisfying - there isn't that "Oh Yeah!" moment of revelation.

Yeah, you've stumbled on the greatest failing of the book.

I'll be honest, I knew about 1/3rd of these solutions before I found a website dedicated to the Maze. Most of my answers were about the Room and the Path, with only a few ideas about which door to take. I had a map a long time ago that wasn't nearly as well organized, too.

Some of the answers I've read from other people, however, make me go "Uh...What? How do you see that?" Like the Chutes and Ladders puzzle in Room 41. I was more interested in what the mushrooms meant. I still don't know.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I do agree that some of it seems that way - I had found myself looking around in some of the 'solved' rooms - especially ones where we had already explored the incorrect ones - and trying to figure out what the clues were when I knew the answer.

But I think it's pretty forgivable because aside from the riddle and the 17 door you can meander your way to door 45 without actually solving much of anything. Our method of removing all main and basement floor rooms before tackling the top floor really secured this too. Once you have all the trap rooms and failure states down there's really not much to hold you back.

In another type of puzzle format you can more easily bar the player until they solve your room clues. I suppose he could have made more doors like 17 though.

What music did you use for the second solution video? I liked the first and second track in particular

Also, what is going with room 13? Maybe it is just unlucky as the video mentioned, but those are some mean diversions.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 1, 2014

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Grimwit posted:

Some of the answers I've read from other people, however, make me go "Uh...What? How do you see that?" Like the Chutes and Ladders puzzle in Room 41. I was more interested in what the mushrooms meant. I still don't know.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Sometimes a happy fun slide is just a deathtrap that you can't possibly escape from alive.

There seem to be a lot of umbrellas. So The Guide is averse to sunlight, rain, and is a bit overconfident in himself. He didn't expect the group to turn around in that one room to avoid a casual stroll into The Basement, started panicking when one of the guests started piecing together the glyphs on the wall spelling out that it was a trap, and generally is quite narcissistic in how he acts around the guests. Always treating them like children, like lesser things. Never really explaining how or what The Maze is in clear terms, but with cryptic, usually deceptive quips. He seems like he is beyond a doubt sure that no one will ever accomplish whatever they were actually supposed to do, and is always leading them in one way or another to the room of infinite darkness, now filled with every single party that went in with him, up to this point.

If The Guide is "the lesson", what is actually learned?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Also, what is going with room 13? Maybe it is just unlucky as the video mentioned, but those are some mean diversions.

Musical credits at the end. Songs are listed in the order they appeared. I used four songs, but I considur "Double Drift" by Kevin MacLeod my personal theme song. That man's is gently caress'n awesome.

It's 8:00pm here and that means I'm due to post the next video. This is Solution Page 3 of 5.

Enjoy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The times table... all of them are square, except "1 x 1 = 2", which is just wrong. Still not sure what that means though.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Room 4:

"A small black cat ran out of the door to my run, sniffed at us, and ran out of the hallway"

"Out of the hallway" tends to go towards the end of the hall, or it would be phrased as "ran into another room", connecting the bad luck with the seemingly innocuous room 11 as well.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The times table... all of them are square, except "1 x 1 = 2", which is just wrong. Still not sure what that means though.

1 and 2. 12. wrong again. far as I can tell anyway.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Faust IX posted:

If The Guide is "the lesson", what is actually learned?

Don't trust guides in mazes that have no exits?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
I haven't watched the upstairs movie yet, but... so far I'm rather disappointed. None of these rooms really have a clear-cut solution - just vague indications, impossible to confirm. Some of the explanations seem like a tremendous stretch, and I can't help but be reminded of those numerologists who are always adding words up to get 666 or whatever.

Not that I'm complaint about your work, Grimwit! You've done a fine job presenting the maze. It's... more of a knock against the book's author. Or perhaps this kind of open-ended mystery isn't really to my tastes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Arcana posted:

I haven't watched the upstairs movie yet, but... so far I'm rather disappointed. None of these rooms really have a clear-cut solution - just vague indications, impossible to confirm. Some of the explanations seem like a tremendous stretch, and I can't help but be reminded of those numerologists who are always adding words up to get 666 or whatever.

Not that I'm complaint about your work, Grimwit! You've done a fine job presenting the maze. It's... more of a knock against the book's author. Or perhaps this kind of open-ended mystery isn't really to my tastes.

I wouldn't even call it an open-ended mystery, at least in terms of determining the correct room. It's more like some crazy old guy holding out a piece of bread, saying "Solve my riddle!" and doing nothing else while he gleefully mocks you in the safety of his head. I really hope the ultimate solution to the maze's riddle isn't as obtuse.

Still, great job presenting this strange thing to us. It was a fascinating ride regardless of what I think of it at the end.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Alien Arcana posted:

Since the book can't bite your fingers if you cheat, the author avoided making it overly difficult to navigate the maze by brute force. I mean, a reasonable player will always find the center by their 3rd try. The true puzzle of the book is the riddles of the room and the path.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Room 4 is interesting because the door to room 24 isn't more suspicious than the others like it usually is. In other places in the maze, Door 24 has a rather sinister 'air' to it, such as the darkened shrubs next to it in one of the rooms on the first floor.

Some of these rooms seem especially interesting, in a way that they seem to have no significance, which leads me to believe that they have deeper clues within, such as

35, which is a one-way room, I believe the only one in the entire maze, (Forgot 6) and

17, which has multiple routes, despite the obvious goal being directly ahead. It has the obvious clue which apparently is part of the path, but seems to lack the usual kind of clues in the other areas. (Edit: Just noticed there's four jars on the left and five on the right, making 45. Welp.)

35 I think is going to be important in solving who the guide is, since that coat seems rather strange in contrast to the rest of the dirty, un-maintained area, and the only person I can think of of importance in the maze who might wear a coat is the guide.
(Maybe there's a deeper mystery we could solve if we could figure out why the heck that horrifying stick monstrosity is in the room too, and what in the world it actually is)

17 has a few strange points: The area seems to be half-buried in sand, and is full of the type of pottery you'd expect to see in a desert. Door 33 is flanked by suns, and door 6 is a crawlspace. Six leads straight to the basement, so it's possible that the low height of the door is supposed to bring thoughts of depth to mind. 33 leads into the pit room, deep in the loop on the first floor. I have no idea how we're supposed to link this with suns, maybe there's lava down there and that's hot like the sun?

Edit: On an unrelated note, now that we have the full maze, I wonder if it's possible to determine where the blank doors in various rooms go through contextual clues? I'll have to think about that.

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 2, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Grilox posted:

Edit: On an unrelated note, now that we have the full maze, I wonder if it's possible to determine where the blank doors in various rooms go through contextual clues? I'll have to think about that.

We've seen several blank doors that are one-way exits from other rooms. It would not be surprising if all of them are. Unless you're speculating already knowing about that, and there are ones that don't match up (this could be the case as some doors are blank, but others have an apparent number that can't be seen).

To Grimwit:
Another clue now that you've pointed out the text in Room 2, is the fresco of what is presumably the throne of God. God's right hand is the proverbial favored one, so from the point of view of the image, the right-hand door (our left) is correct. (Except that it doesn't quite play fair: the person (most likely Christ) is raising the left hand in benediction, even though it's the right hand that is normal, suggesting a mirror image.)

Kangra fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 2, 2014

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Alien Arcana posted:

None of these rooms really have a clear-cut solution - just vague indications, impossible to confirm. Some of the explanations seem like a tremendous stretch, and I can't help but be reminded of those numerologists who are always adding words up to get 666 or whatever.

This is a fair complaint about an unfair game. Most of the Maze's "puzzles" are so open to interpretation that there can be multiple answers to the same puzzle that are equally valid. Best example is Room 13.

Jesus, Room 13. Everything in the room tells you to go the wrong way.

In the book's defense, if the solutions were clear cut or... how to put it... straight forward and not so up to interpretation, I don't think it would be as interesting as it is. Like Alice in Wonderland, you can read into it as deep as you like. It can either be a contemplation about the need for God in the modern world (Which is a real interpretations I've read about) or just the well sketched ramblings of a hobo, like ViggyNash said.

I'm a sucker for these kinds of things, I guess.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Onto the next part; The riddle of the Room.

None of this should come as a surprise.

Tomorrow, we finish this LP once and for all.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Could it be that the author wasn't as aware as some others of what Atlas really bore? Should we assume he went with the old presumption of 'the weight of the world'? Is that really it? Is the ceiling that shows the firmament in room 4 meant to be read as the archaic 'World-All', to mean 'world'? 'Like Atlas, you carry the world on your shoulders'? Is that what it's all about? :psyduck:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grimwit posted:

Heh, yeah. You really did screw us with that statement.

I like this riddle a whole lot more, especially because of the hints. I wish they'd had a similar design for every room, except maybe only one hint per room instead of the 6 for 45. It makes me more excited for the riddle of the path a lot more.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Grimwit posted:

I'm not quite sure how you determined that we "rushed right by it": Several people guessed and discussed the very specific right answer correctly, and have been doing so for pages now.

Admittedly, those people also happened to put it down and move on to more interesting and complicated answers, because it seems a lot of the thread prefers the Maze at its most philosophical.

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
The answer being "world", I would be really interested to see the next video for how it gets to that point and if we moon-logic'd the gently caress out of things to get our ideas regarding Atlas. If it uses the incorrect idea that Atlas carried the world on his shoulders I would find that pretty underwhelming, to be honest :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Ariamaki posted:

I'm not quite sure how you determined that we "rushed right by it": Several people guessed and discussed the very specific right answer correctly, and have been doing so for pages now.

An imperfect rendering, then. In fact, now that I think on it, you guys did sort of figure it out anyway. But the "World" was discarded somewhere when talking about the Riddle of the Path.

By the by, I love the Maze at it's most philosophical.

• Locked thread