Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

duodenum posted:

I don't have anything to cite because I heard this in conversation a long time ago, but it was said that the benefits that people report from things like acupuncture and chiropractic back manipulation are only about what one would see from receiving a massage treatment. That's it's more likely about what benefits (psychological and physical) we receive from mutual grooming behaviors than from anything like what quack practitioners claim.

Does that sound right or reasonable as a shorthand to explain whatever benefits people stand by to defend quacks?
I have definitely read something to this effect.

Something like that is the only thing that makes sense because chi and chakras and crystals and water memory are all extremely obviously bullshit and can't possibly be an explanation for any positive effects of these methods, if there are any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alternative Medicine that works is called 'medicine'.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ch...ch....che....chemicals!

I hate the alternative medicine movement. Between obvious bias ('They said something I like, so they must be experts in their field a'la Food Babe') and woo filled quackery, its a nightmare.

Not to mention their tie ins with the Anti-Vaccine movement and Anti-GMO movement and their pseudoscience poo poo fest.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I had a cousin try to convince me that Homeopathy was a legitimate medical pursuit. And I quote:

Cousin: "The thing you've got to realize is that the water remembers."
Me :stare:

Oh the holidays are just a hoot with him around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

Clever girl....

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

duodenum posted:

I don't have anything to cite because I heard this in conversation a long time ago, but it was said that the benefits that people report from things like acupuncture and chiropractic back manipulation are only about what one would see from receiving a massage treatment. That's it's more likely about what benefits (psychological and physical) we receive from mutual grooming behaviors than from anything like what quack practitioners claim.

Does that sound right or reasonable as a shorthand to explain whatever benefits people stand by to defend quacks?

Mostly. One thing to remember is that there is only limited evidence that sticking needles in people randomly has some benefits vs conventional treatment. That is to say, "acupuncture" does not actually work, because acupuncture isn't random placement. Instead it says the positions of the needles matter, but this has never been shown to be significant. The other issue is that the evidence sham acupuncture works is tenuous, among other things there are a lot of issues when the 'placebo' is very different from the test group-- in that you aren't just giving both groups a pill that they can't distinguish between. It would be very obvious that you were in the control group of an acupuncture study if you aren't getting stabbed with needles.

The takehome message is that as they have done more and more sophisticated (better) clinical trials on acupuncture efficacy the % improvement from the control group is less and less, which should definitely give you pause to whether or not there's actually true significance.

OP posted:

I don't like either acupuncture or herbal medicine, which is why it annoys me that there's evidence that they're medicinally beneficial that stands up to modern scientific rigor. This was brought up as a derail in another thread, so here we are. My argument is that the Acupuncture and herbal medicine have medicinal benefits that are backed by double blind clinical trials, the gold standard of what's 'real'. Where we left off:

Pretty much every clinical trial claims to have a placebo controlled double blind setup but many of them don't really adequately do so. Very lovely studies getting published is unfortunately very common in the field, even in top journals.

tsa fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 27, 2014

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
There's a lot of what I feel is misplaced vitriol and hostility in this thread, especially towards the patients who believe in this sort of stuff. What a lot of people seem to be missing is that these are usually people who have had some very unfortunate experiences with mainstream medicine, and will go through a lot of mental gymnastics to let themselves believe that the "alternative" treatments are ultimately the right path. Combine this with the human tendency to group themselves and others into movement and countermovement, and suddenly you have people singing the praises of Bleeblop Root Extract and harboring belief in a global conspiracy of doctors to keep 'em coming back by loving their poo poo up.

Picture someone who has been through pain and malpractice in sickly lit clinics that smell of peroxide and death, who goes in to the doctor telling them their prescription isn't helping, only to have them rubberstamp a script for double the dosage and send them out the door, who feels scared and alone, uncertain of what is going on with their body because the best a doctor can give them is a "well your results look fine" and a smirk that oozes feigned pity.

So this person decides they're fed up, and as a last-ditch attempt to be healthy they decide to visit the Alternative Medicine Yuppie Witch Doctor that Sheila from Work was telling them about. The practice is lovely, with lots of plants, mellow lighting, with a faint hint of lavender and cardamom in the air, and maybe even some soothing music in the waiting room. Having waited just five minutes with their rear end resting on the generously stuffed cushion of a hand-carved wooden chair, they are called in to the Healing Room, where the Healer Person asks detailed questions about them, their condition, eating habits, pets, love life, all that stuff. Then they are asked to strip down to their undergarments (the room is well above stiff-nipple temperature) and lay on the Healing Table. The Healing Session probably then consists of some firm but overall pleasant touching, some "do you feel like that when i go like this?" questioning (the answer is always "uh-huh"), maybe some light small talk in between, undoubtedly touching on the horror stories of medicine past. The patient leaves the practice 65 bucks lighter and having had an almost entirely positive experience.

Stories similar to this are commonplace across the globe, and usually lead to some degree of belief in the core methods being applied. I really find it hard to fault people for rejecting rigorously proven medicine in favor of excellent bedside manner. The unfortunate reality is that lots of people are put off by the cold clinical vibes and lovely attitudes they experience any time they have to visit the doctor, leaving with a bad taste in their mouth, and doubting that what they received was adequate care.

A lot of people forget that the care experience is about more than just the direct treatment of an illness; bedside manner, a welcoming atmosphere, transparency, and adequate face time with doctors and nurses are all factors affecting not only the mental wellbeing of a patient, but also the outcome of their treatment. These are things that "alternative" medicine often does better than the mainstream, and that's something that needs to be acknowledged.

XMNN posted:

Something like that is the only thing that makes sense because chi and chakras and crystals and water memory are all extremely obviously bullshit and can't possibly be an explanation for any positive effects of these methods, if there are any.

Water memory is pretty much certainly bullshit, but stuff like chi, chakras, "energy", whatever are IMO only partially so. As far as I can tell, they are for the most part words used to describe concepts built around highly subjective perceptions of one's own body that have otherwise not effectively been put into words. That highly subjective nature, combined with the immense potential for miscommunication and misunderstanding is the reason these things are such hairy topics to discuss. Some people would like to believe that the "energy" they perceive exists very directly in the physical realm and can be influenced by magnets or crystals or needles or whatever, and from what I have seen, this is where much of the superstition and bullshit arises from (looking at you, Reiki). From what I have experienced though, I think most of the stuff described can be thought of as neurological abstractions of complex interactions between various parts of the nervous system, and to some extent things like yoga and meditation can have a pronounced effect on these phenomena. Given that, I think it is absolutely worth taking a good scientific look into the nature of these perceptions. Bits and pieces of some of these so-called alternative medicine concepts do occasionally manage to creep into mainstream treatment (meditation, fecal transplants, some herbal medicines), so while it's very important to view these things critically, it's also a lovely idea to write it all off wholesale without at least being inquisitive and picking the ideas apart looking for the core of their benefits.

snorch fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 27, 2014

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Homeopathy is obvious horseshit, but I've never experienced severe iatrogenic problems as a result of a reckless homeopath. Psychiatrists, on the other hand...

Meditation is often derided as "alternative medicine" places like SBM, but in fact meditation was how I got off of benzos/ADs/other drugs that caused me far more problems than they solved.

Basically, I have no love of quackery, but nor do I have much love for much of what passes for mainstream American medicine at this point. If I had a nickel for every time I've been scripted antibiotics for a viral infection, I'd have at least a dollar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

snorch posted:

There's a lot of what I feel is misplaced vitriol and hostility in this thread, especially towards the patients who believe in this sort of stuff. What a lot of people seem to be missing is that these are usually people who have had some very unfortunate experiences with mainstream medicine, and will go through a lot of mental gymnastics to let themselves believe that the "alternative" treatments are ultimately the right path. Combine this with the human tendency to group themselves and others into movement and countermovement, and suddenly you have people singing the praises of Bleeblop Root Extract and harboring belief in a global conspiracy of doctors to keep 'em coming back by loving their poo poo up.

Picture someone who has been through pain and malpractice in sickly lit clinics that smell of peroxide and death, who goes in to the doctor telling them their prescription isn't helping, only to have them rubberstamp a script for double the dosage and send them out the door, who feels scared and alone, uncertain of what is going on with their body because the best a doctor can give them is a "well your results look fine" and a smirk that oozes feigned pity.

So this person decides they're fed up, and as a last-ditch attempt to be healthy they decide to visit the Alternative Medicine Yuppie Witch Doctor that Sheila from Work was telling them about. The practice is lovely, with lots of plants, mellow lighting, with a faint hint of lavender and cardamom in the air, and maybe even some soothing music in the waiting room. Having waited just five minutes with their rear end resting on the generously stuffed cushion of a hand-carved wooden chair, they are called in to the Healing Room, where the Healer Person asks detailed questions about them, their condition, eating habits, pets, love life, all that stuff. Then they are asked to strip down to their undergarments (the room is well above stiff-nipple temperature) and lay on the Healing Table. The Healing Session probably then consists of some firm but overall pleasant touching, some "do you feel like that when i go like this?" questioning (the answer is always "uh-huh"), maybe some light small talk in between, undoubtedly touching on the horror stories of medicine past. The patient leaves the practice 65 bucks lighter and having had an almost entirely positive experience.

Stories similar to this are commonplace across the globe, and usually lead to some degree of belief in the core methods being applied. I really find it hard to fault people for rejecting rigorously proven medicine in favor of excellent bedside manner. The unfortunate reality is that lots of people are put off by the cold clinical vibes and lovely attitudes they experience any time they have to visit the doctor, leaving with a bad taste in their mouth, and doubting that what they received was adequate care.

A lot of people forget that the care experience is about more than just the direct treatment of an illness; bedside manner, a welcoming atmosphere, transparency, and adequate face time with doctors and nurses are all factors affecting not only the mental wellbeing of a patient, but also the outcome of their treatment. These are things that "alternative" medicine often does better than the mainstream, and that's something that needs to be acknowledged.

Water memory is pretty much certainly bullshit, but stuff like chi, chakras, "energy", whatever are IMO only partially so. As far as I can tell, they are for the most part words used to describe concepts built around highly subjective perceptions of one's own body that have otherwise not effectively been put into words. That highly subjective nature, combined with the immense potential for miscommunication and misunderstanding is the reason these things are such hairy topics to discuss. Some people would like to believe that the "energy" they perceive exists very directly in the physical realm and can be influenced by magnets or crystals or needles or whatever, and from what I have seen, this is where much of the superstition and bullshit arises from (looking at you, Reiki). From what I have experienced though, I think most of the stuff described can be thought of as neurological abstractions of complex interactions between various parts of the nervous system, and to some extent things like yoga and meditation can have a pronounced effect on these phenomena. Given that, I think it is absolutely worth taking a good scientific look into the nature of these perceptions. Bits and pieces of some of these so-called alternative medicine concepts do occasionally manage to creep into mainstream treatment (meditation, fecal transplants, some herbal medicines), so while it's very important to view these things critically, it's also a lovely idea to write it all off wholesale without at least being inquisitive and picking the ideas apart looking for the core of their benefits.

Nobody is hostile to the patients for seeking this.

We're hostile to the practitioners.

It doesn't matter if they have better bedside manner or offer a glimmer of forlorn hope to these patients, or if they believe in their practices themselves: Its hoccum. Its woo. Its bullshit. And in the end, it usually does more harm than any good it can produce.

Fecal transplants stood up to science and were found worthy, testing held up their hypothesis. But that does not suddenly validate other woo filled pseudoscience.

You are trying too hard to equate the overall nice experience of visiting an alternative medicine practitioner to a successful treament. That is a very bad fallacy.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
This is an interesting thread because a close family member of mine is an acupuncturist as well as an MD (yes, board certified). His father was also an acupuncturist. Neither of them are Asian or believe in chi so there was no cultural tradition whatsoever, nor did either of them ever claim that acupuncture could cure cancer or other horseshit. However, another relative has spent a lot of time getting acupuncture specifically to relieve pain from chronic migraines and swears by it after normal painkillers clearly failed. I personally got a course of ten treatments to reduce a specific nervous tremor when I was a teenager; it definitely gave me a phobia of needles (lol) but I believe it also measurably reduced/eliminated the tremor as well, though how much of that is because of enforced learning to stay still, well, who the gently caress knows.

I am one of the most skeptical people you will ever meet on every other subject but have to admit that acupuncture throws me for a loop. The traditional explanations certainly don't make any sense but it's difficult for me to believe that it is completely worthless in the sense that homeopathy is. If it is simply a placebo effect, chronic pain patients should not be as susceptible to it, and even if they are, the conclusion I'm forced to draw is that no one should ever expose it since chronic pain treatment in particular can be ineffective or dangerous with modern tools.

On the other hand, people claiming that solutions of lavender cure cancer should die in a fire.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

You are trying too hard to equate the overall nice experience of visiting an alternative medicine practitioner to a successful treament. That is a very bad fallacy.

That's not the message I'm trying to convey, but rather that patients often come to value the experience more than the treatment, and in turn attempt to justify the "alternative" as the best decision in their minds, because the way it's portrayed on both sides is that you can choose either one or the other, but not both; doctors are can't stand the mention of the hocum quackery, and the quacks can't stand those uppity doctors.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

It's worth calling out that "acupuncture without chi or meridians" is basically dry needling, which is increasingly being offered as a service by regular physical therapists.

Dry needling has definitely been helpful to me for injury and stress related muscle tension problems.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
We aren't hostile to the patients, we're hostile to the practitioners. We are also perfectly capable of imagining a patient who's had to go through a healthcare system that seems uncaring and ineffective, and what we feel for them is not hatred, but pity that they are grabbed at such a vulnerable point in their lives and cheated out of a not insignificant amount of money.

What you set up in your last paragraph is a straw man. Obviously it's important to view these things critically. And if you're a scientist, then good for you, you may choose to work on these things and prove/disprove them. From the perspective of a patient however, fecal transplants in an age where fecal transplants haven't yet been proven to have any use are a waste of money, and potentially actually dangerous to health, and any doctor offering such treatment is just as irresponsible as a doctor offering homeopathy. Every time we say something has no medical value, we aren't necessarily implying that it is inconceivable that it will have medical value in the future (though we certainly are making that statement for some alt-med practices like, say, homeopathy which is pure water). There are and have been way too many maverick doctors/business-men out there with some "brilliant" discovery, that ended up being useless.

Finally we also acknowledge that alt-med practitioners have the time and resources (and sometimes even more training) to allow them to seem more caring. That's not an argument for encouraging people to go to alt-med practitioners, that's an argument for supplying more resources to legitimate healthcare providers so they may fulfill those objectives equally well.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 28, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

snorch posted:

That's not the message I'm trying to convey, but rather that patients often come to value the experience more than the treatment, and in turn attempt to justify the "alternative" as the best decision in their minds, because the way it's portrayed on both sides is that you can choose either one or the other, but not both; doctors are can't stand the mention of the hocum quackery, and the quacks can't stand those uppity doctors.

Doctors--good doctors--are very well practiced in dealing with patients who put faith in hocum quackery, as well as those who cribbed health info off the internet, etc. They don't like scream and throw scalpels when they hear about those folk therapies. As long as the alt meds are not actively harmful and the patient is also compliant with real medicine, they're fine with them. When it's a chiropractor doing forceful adjustments, the doctor would be acting unethically if he didn't try to get the patient to stop going. Or if the patient isn't compliant with the real medicine because they prefer homeopathy, the doctor obviously has a duty to explain why the alt med is bullshit.

So no, it's not set up as if you can have one or the other, not both. You can have both real medicine and fake medicine, as long as the fake medicine isn't hurting you your doctor is unlikely to care that much. Also, a lot of the conmen types who do alt-med don't shittalk doctors, they just say "They're fine for what they do but I do something they can't." Others, sure, know that the doctors can expose them as frauds (or are delusional and think that their bullshit actually works and Western medicine is poison blah blah) and aggressively try to get their customers to avoid real medical care, but again, the reasonable ones are fine with their customers seeing a doctor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The problem is too that for every harmless homeopath, you have at least ten that do real harm. Go talk to an oncologist and ask them about patients that spend valuable and critical periods of their newly diagnosed disease trying all manner of quackery only to end up coming in when the disease has progressed to a point yhat all the oncologist can do is sigh and tell them just how much longer they have to live.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Adar posted:

This is an interesting thread because a close family member of mine is an acupuncturist as well as an MD (yes, board certified). His father was also an acupuncturist. Neither of them are Asian or believe in chi so there was no cultural tradition whatsoever, nor did either of them ever claim that acupuncture could cure cancer or other horseshit. However, another relative has spent a lot of time getting acupuncture specifically to relieve pain from chronic migraines and swears by it after normal painkillers clearly failed. I personally got a course of ten treatments to reduce a specific nervous tremor when I was a teenager; it definitely gave me a phobia of needles (lol) but I believe it also measurably reduced/eliminated the tremor as well, though how much of that is because of enforced learning to stay still, well, who the gently caress knows.

I am one of the most skeptical people you will ever meet on every other subject but have to admit that acupuncture throws me for a loop. The traditional explanations certainly don't make any sense but it's difficult for me to believe that it is completely worthless in the sense that homeopathy is. If it is simply a placebo effect, chronic pain patients should not be as susceptible to it, and even if they are, the conclusion I'm forced to draw is that no one should ever expose it since chronic pain treatment in particular can be ineffective or dangerous with modern tools.

On the other hand, people claiming that solutions of lavender cure cancer should die in a fire.

As a couple other people mentioned, acupuncture has the same effect as placebo acupuncture; that is, it doesn't matter where they place the needles, but the placing of needles still has an effect.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

My uncle died a horrible death from sinus cancer because he tried homeopathic and naturopathic 'medicine' for an entire year instead of actual medicine. By the time he got chemo it was too late. These quacks do real harm.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Sergg posted:

My uncle died a horrible death from sinus cancer because he tried homeopathic and naturopathic 'medicine' for an entire year instead of actual medicine. By the time he got chemo it was too late. These quacks do real harm.

Isn't that how Steve Jobs died?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

My uncle's homeopaths and naturopaths actually told him that a cancerous lesion that began on the roof of his mouth was "an infection" and eventually it opened a hole in the roof of his mouth, a bunch of "gunk" came pouring out, and it healed over. He thought it was done, but the lesion came back. It wasn't until he saw a dentist that someone said "Hey buddy, we should check this weird tissue for signs of malignancy." About a year later, after many worthless elixirs, potions, tinctures, and vitamins, the cancer had metastasized in his lungs, brain, bones, etc. In his final weeks he looked like Sloth from "The Goonies"

Zeitgueist posted:

Isn't that how Steve Jobs died?

Pretty much. Steve Jobs had one of the few types of pancreatic cancer that has a decent prognosis. He proceeded to go on some bullshit regimen of herbs and juicing for many months until the cancer was untreatable.

E: From Wikipedia: According to Jobs's biographer, Walter Isaacson, "for nine months he refused to undergo surgery for his pancreatic cancer – a decision he later regretted as his health declined."[216] "Instead, he tried a vegan diet, acupuncture, herbal remedies, and other treatments he found online, and even consulted a psychic. He was also influenced by a doctor who ran a clinic that advised juice fasts, bowel cleansings and other unproven approaches, before finally having surgery in July 2004."

It's also how Bob Marley died. Ignored his doctor's advice to amputate his toe that had skin cancer, tried alternative medicine instead, cancer spreads and he died.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 28, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Victims/craven.html

quote:

Lucille consulted a physician in another city, a physiatrist, with whom she had an acquaintance. This physician urged her to obtain a second opinion, which she did. The second opinion was the same, but Lucille was determined to obtain nontraditional treatment. She prevailed upon her physician acquaintance to find an individual to provide such a treatment. Together they visited a naturopath who claimed to cure cancer. However, at their meeting he requested an advance payment in full of many thousands of dollars as well as agreements signed by all family members excusing him from any liability.

Lucille determined to find another person to treat her illness. She began to read books with titles like "The Cure for All Cancers" and "The Cancer Encyclopedia." One such book was by a chiropractor in a nearby state. Lucille sought treatment at his clinic. After their first meeting, she believed he could cure her cancer. She began to visit his clinic on a regular basis, although it was almost 150 miles away. She wrote him frequently to keep him updated with the progress of her disease. During her visits, he extracted blood and examined it in a dark-field microscope, showing her the field of view. At some point, he recommended that she use 714X, an injectable medicine promoted by a Canadian doctor. So she sent for it and began giving it to herself.

Meanwhile she continued to consult her physician acquaintance who examined her periodically, sold her homeopathic remedies, and provided blood irradiation services (a technique of extracting blood into a quartz vessel illuminated by ultraviolet light).

She continued to conceal both her disease and the true purpose of her homeopathic treatment from all in her family. She described her behavior as a search for a healthy lifestyle. I witnessed a gradual buildup of dozens of homeopathic remedies and the conversion of our family to organic-only food; and finally I discovered her self-injection treatments. She knew I disapproved strongly of these and of her visits to the chiropractor. I began to print and leave around articles which I found at the CDC website on the dangers of nonlicensed medicine. In hindsight, this was far too little, too late. However, being married for 33 years to this woman who was wonderful in other ways made me too tolerant.

Eventually her untreated cancer broke through to the surface of her breast. Her physician acquaintance explained that the cauliflower-like nodules were "carbuncles" caused by an excess of lymph. Her self-treatment became even more extreme and she purchased a device with two headlights on wands at a cost of many thousands of dollars. The instructions with these show a diagram of the human lymphatic system and they were intended to "promote lymphatic flow."

By this time, two years had passed since the initial diagnosis. The chiropractor stated that he couldn't help her any more and suggested she go to Germany to be treated there. Lucille discovered through a casual remark by his staff that his other patients were receiving chemotherapy. Lucille felt misled by him because he had caused her to believe that chemotherapy was harmful and not desirable.

The growing tumor had metastasized and Lucille's left arm developed extreme lymphedema (swelling caused by blockage of drainage of the lymphatic system). This was not concealable, and I began to question her. Eventually she disclosed her condition and within a few days I convinced her to see another physician both of us had worked with and whom she also trusted. He arranged for immediate admission to his hospital and for the case to be taken over by an excellent oncologist. We obtained her cooperation to this 'conventional' treatment. Her oncologist did not criticize her homeopathic, naturopathic health providers even as he gave us a prognosis of months. She was released from the hospital on a fearsome regimen of chemotherapy. A surgeon consultant and radiation therapist consultant found her untreatable; and she died approximately 4 months later -- a few days short of her 55th birthday.

http://www.ncahf.org/nl/1990/7-8.html#atikian

quote:

The Victim

Dead from malnutrition and pneumonia is Lorie Atikian. Eight months before her death on September 25, 1987, Lorie was a perfectly healthy baby. When she died she was nearly bald, covered with deep red rashes, and so emaciated that the paramedics thought they were being tricked by being given a doll to treat.

The Parents

Lorie's parents Sonia, 38, and Khochadour, 54, are emigres from Lebanon and Syria. In addition to Lorie, the couple has two teenaged children. Like many people these days the Atikian's were concerned about modern food additives, pesticide residues, and drugs. Their cultural background may have made them a bit more vulnerable, but like most people they held positive attitudes toward "natural" food and medicine. Sonia became enamored with Gerhard Hanswille, an "herbologist."

The "Herbologist"

Gerhard Hanswille, 55, says that he learned herbology in Germany through self-study and books (Germany has a tradition of folk medicine that includes a great deal of Medieval herbalism). In 1972, Hanswille obtained a mail order doctoral degree in naturopathy from "Bernadean University" (BU) located at that time in Las Vegas, Nevada. BU, which was never approved or accredited to offer any courses, was closed down by the Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education in 1976. It then moved to California where it operated for several years before eventually becoming "authorized" under the State's liberal rules (Aronson, 1983). California has tried to close BU but has been blocked by its claim to being a religious school of the Church of Universology (Emshwiller, 1987).

Hanswille owns two "House of Herbs" stores, writes and gives seminars at which he expounds his theories, which include making wax and clay effigies sealed with drops of blood and sperm (notions founded in Monism and Vitalism which are the basis of most primitive folk medicine). Hanswille's book describes how to heal diabetes, epilepsy, TB, tumors and paralysis by "touchless massage." Hanswille likens the technique to dowsing for water, something that "not everyone can do." Sonia paid $450 to take Hanswille's course.

The Promise

Hanswille's compelling vision of natural health made a convert of Sonia. When she became pregnant with Lorie in 1985 Hanswille convinced her to remain "pure" for the sake of the child. She testified that Hanswille promised to make Lorie a super baby. "That baby is going to be very different. Its going to develop without chemicals. Its going to be strong and pure...it going to be very special." Hanswille convinced Sonia that vaccinations would "poison" her child, and that ultrasound examination would damage an unborn baby's brain. He had Sonia tell her pediatrician that she would not be bringing Lorie in any more because the family was moving to California. Hanswille was described as ". . .like a doctor. . .surrounded by medicine and books. . . sure of what he was saying. He always had an answer."

The Regimen

Hanswille advocated an organic, vegetarian diet. He sold the Atikians a special juicer for $400 alleging that their own juicer "burned the nutrition" out of fruits. Among the special products the Atikians purchased from Hanswille were a bottle of baby oil that cost $16, a bar of soap costing $7.40, and a 3 kg box of laundry detergent that cost $35.99.

When Lorie became ill she was treated with royal jelly, "cell salts" (homeopathy), and an herbal concoction brewed by Hanswille. He also treated Lorie with an electromagnetic "vitalizing" machine that "stimulates the blood" and has attachments such as an electrified comb that "livens up the hair." Sonia Atikian testified that they became very concerned about Lorie's condition but that Hanswille assured them that it was normal for clumps of her baby's hair to fall out and not to worry if Lorie didn't gain weight. Hanswille told Sonia that taking Lorie to a hospital would be like "holding a loaded gun to Lorie's head and pulling the trigger."

The Legal Charges

The Atikians were charged with failing to provide the necessities of life for their baby daughter (child neglect). Up until now Hanswille has not been charged with anything. He has angrily complained that he feels like "the accused" but denies that he did anything wrong. He says that he "cannot tell people what to do," that it is up to the parents to make decisions for their children. The judge instructed the jury that it was all right for them to "vent your spleen" over the activities of Hanswille "and his ilk," but neither he nor herbalism were on trial in the death of little Lorie.

The Verdict

On June 12 the Atikians were found guilty of child neglect. Sentencing is scheduled for July 6.

Lets talk about the 'non-harm' of the 'friendly Homeopaths'

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Well, if we're going to go in that direction, here's a site specializing in that:
http://whatstheharm.net/

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Melthir posted:

Does anyone have anything that shows why you think chiropractors are horeshit. Because I tell you what, I feel like a million bucks after I get my back adjusted. If it is poo poo I would like to know why and what about getting my back adjusted is feeling good.

Go see a physiotherapist (physical therapist). They're trained to perform manipulation but are also legitimate honest to god medical professionals who know how to do it without loving you up:

http://www.apta.org/uploadedFiles/APTAorg/Advocacy/State/Issues/Manipulation/ManipulationSafetyandPTPractice.pdf

seriously look at that loving graph

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Meditation is often derided as "alternative medicine" places like SBM, but in fact meditation was how I got off of benzos/ADs/other drugs that caused me far more problems than they solved.

Give medicine more credit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I actually don't think cannabis qualifies as herbal medicine in the sense that it ought to give you shits because it's fundamental bullshit non-medicine that hippies insist unclogs your chakras or whatever with some incidental medicinal benefits. Cannabis is just medicine at this point. There are plenty of medicines that are perfectly legitimate (ie. not alternative medicines, just loving medicines) that are derived from plant matter. That shouldn't be an annoying fact. The plant kingdom produces a lot of various chemicals, some of which we've discovered quite legitimately are good at healing illnesses or alleviated symptoms. That ain't bad.

The real bullshit of 'herbal medicine' is the kind sold by snake-oil salesmen to gullible shitheads who are told their child doesn't need antibiotics for that pneumonia don't you know that's just big pharma trying to steal your money no no here just buy this tiny jar of powdered lavender root for a fuckload more than it's worth and have her huff a steam-bath with this poo poo three times a day. That kind of nonsense is dangerous. Cannabis is just good medicine for a lot of people. Don't hate on poo poo that works.

The argument for herbal medicine I always heard from my very new age-y mother who owned a health food store in the 70s is actually decent, because it can be tested and falsified on a case-by-case basis. Her argument has been that plants contain mixtures of chemicals that moderate or improve (by potency and/or by offsetting negative side effects) the effects of the primary active ingredient alone.

Her version is too strong, since it doesn't account for case by case variance, or for the possibility of observed cases where the net effect of a herb's properties are negative despite potential medicinal value (ie, tobacco, which has medically useful psychoactive effects, but which is both more toxic and more addictive in smoked form than it is as pure nicotine). It is easy enough, meanwhile, to find cases in which it is true or likely, such as the effects of caffeine-related chemicals such as theanine in coffee).

She also believes a great deal of.bullshit; for a relevant example, she frequently cites Dr. Mercola, who is a fraud, and doesn't recognize the evidential gap between herbal and homeopathic medicine. A lot of her medicinal ideas are based on a false dichotomy between Western medicine under capitalism and alternative medicine; capitalism, however, loves alternative medicine as well.

As a rule, I consider this, as a whole, to be less dangerous in practice than the equivalent from the athletic supplement industry despite it being less likely to advocate for outright bullshit. That is because of the practical dangers of many extremely effective herbal athletic supplements, especially strong stimulants such as ephedrine (from Ma Huang), which is similar to amphetamine but favours the peripheral rather than central effects typical of that family of chemicals to a degree which has a strong probability of being dangerous in an athletic context.

My mother is an oddity in that she is smart but inclined to explicitly metaphysical thinking. So I got to grow up going to literal sweat lodges and pow-wows ran by and mostly for the indigenous communities they were in, and went to Sikh temples more often than churches. (In the latter case it is relevant to BC goons that for awhile in my childhood, I lived in Surrey, which at the time was not yet a shithole and we were on a lot with two acres if forest that is now the suburb that we were evicted to build). She also likes Kabbalism and gnosticism, and understands them well enough to be interesting to discuss them with.

Cross-posting with e/n itt.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Melthir posted:

Does anyone have anything that shows why you think chiropractors are horeshit. Because I tell you what, I feel like a million bucks after I get my back adjusted. If it is poo poo I would like to know why and what about getting my back adjusted is feeling good.

"Chiropractors" are a weird field, because its more or less therapeutic massage, which has a lot of well established benefits, and its been hijacked by quacks who claim they can "re-align" bones and perform other physically impossible things that they then claim cure a wide variety of diseases.

Oh, and your "back adjustment" is just regular stretching. No bones are repositioned in any way and if the chiropractor is telling you he's adjusting your spine never go back there because you might end up with nerve damage from him damaging your body.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I've been scripted antibiotics for a viral infection, I'd have at least a dollar.

Why do you keep visiting the doctor with a common cold then? Like, why even bother seeking treatment for something you know or are at least pretty sure is a virus unless it's in danger of killing you?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Talmonis posted:

I had a cousin try to convince me that Homeopathy was a legitimate medical pursuit. And I quote:

Oh the holidays are just a hoot with him around.

What I don't understand is why water has the memory of long since diluted out of existence medicine but does not contain the memory of duck poo poo from the dam.

Because I'm pretty sure theres a lot of duck poo poo in fresh water.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

pentyne posted:

"Chiropractors" are a weird field, because its more or less therapeutic massage, which has a lot of well established benefits, and its been hijacked by quacks who claim they can "re-align" bones and perform other physically impossible things that they then claim cure a wide variety of diseases.

Oh, and your "back adjustment" is just regular stretching. No bones are repositioned in any way and if the chiropractor is telling you he's adjusting your spine never go back there because you might end up with nerve damage from him damaging your body.

Chiropractic 'medicine' started off as a sham field , it was never hijacked.

There have been legitimate attempts at trying to systemize the effects of the theraputic massage into something useful.

But I have my doubts that a Thai Massage from someone with a working knowledge of Grays Anattomy would do any worse.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

duck monster posted:

What I don't understand is why water has the memory of long since diluted out of existence medicine but does not contain the memory of duck poo poo from the dam.

Because I'm pretty sure theres a lot of duck poo poo in fresh water.

Leave it to you to think of duck poo poo.

Marginally more seriously, it's because of the magical shaking process that "aligned" the molecules prior to dilution, if I remember (one of) the bullshit explanation correctly.

duck monster posted:

Chiropractic 'medicine' started off as a sham field , it was never hijacked.

Didn't the inventor basically hijack his ideas from osteopathy, and claim he'd been given them by an angel or something?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Didn't the inventor basically hijack his ideas from osteopathy, and claim he'd been given them by an angel or something?

Palmer was like a fishmonger or something who received all of his ideas via seance, as I recall. So basically.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I think there's a big difference between using alternative therapies as a first-line defense against serious conditions like cancer, and coming to them after exhausting all the conventional treatments for more ambiguous problems like chronic anxiety or fibromyalgia. I don't know anyone who's gotten better from cancer through juice fasts; I know several people who feel that their psychological problems or fibro is managed better with diet/lifestyle changes, trigger point massage, dry needling, etc than it is with SSRIs/benzodiazepines or tramadol.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why do you keep visiting the doctor with a common cold then? Like, why even bother seeking treatment for something you know or are at least pretty sure is a virus unless it's in danger of killing you?

My criteria for seeking medical care is "fever over 101 that lasts for more than 48 hours" or "severe or unusual pain". The most recent time that I was given an antibiotic was after experiencing severe ear pain which felt for all the world like an inner ear infection (the likes of which I haven't had since I was ~10). This turned out to be a TMJ problem and not an infection of any kind, but I was still given paper for ABs despite having an ear that looked completely normal through a scope.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think there's a big difference between using alternative therapies as a first-line defense against serious conditions like cancer, and coming to them after exhausting all the conventional treatments for more ambiguous problems like chronic anxiety or fibromyalgia. I don't know anyone who's gotten better from cancer through juice fasts; I know several people who feel that their psychological problems or fibro is managed better with diet/lifestyle changes, trigger point massage, dry needling, etc than it is with SSRIs/benzodiazepines or tramadol.

You are missing the point though: A lot of the people that provide these treatments tend to push their treatments as solutions to more threatening and dangerous medical maladies, and that is why homeopathy is kind of an issue.

As in such a big issues that crunchy moms kill their infants because they took the advice of their guru or chiropractor as far as lifestyle and diet changes.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think there's a big difference between using alternative therapies as a first-line defense against serious conditions like cancer, and coming to them after exhausting all the conventional treatments for more ambiguous problems like chronic anxiety or fibromyalgia.

I'm right here with ya. It sounds like some hippy dippy bologna, but I think "the power of positive thinking" is a real thing. I worked in a psychiatric hospital, and the nature of the medicine was that it did not always work as advertized. The importance of keeping a positive mental attitude is paramount when you're dealing with the couple weeks that it takes some of those meds to take effect.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Tim Raines IRL posted:

My criteria for seeking medical care is "fever over 101 that lasts for more than 48 hours" or "severe or unusual pain". The most recent time that I was given an antibiotic was after experiencing severe ear pain which felt for all the world like an inner ear infection (the likes of which I haven't had since I was ~10). This turned out to be a TMJ problem and not an infection of any kind, but I was still given paper for ABs despite having an ear that looked completely normal through a scope.

Some folks prescribe AB's to shut people up because they want a pill and you can't give people literal placebos.

It's not a good thing but it's a byproduct of a for-profit medical system.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

You are missing the point though: A lot of the people that provide these treatments tend to push their treatments as solutions to more threatening and dangerous medical maladies, and that is why homeopathy is kind of an issue.

I see that as reason to investigate everything on a case-by-case basis (and deal sternly with anyone who's so far out of line that it's legally actionable). Likewise it's increasingly easy to find anecdotes online of people who feel they were severely damaged after being inappropriately given strong psych drugs for very ordinary run-of-the-mill life stresses. Does the mere existence of some number of psychiatrists who push undocumented poly-drug cocktails on people inappropriately mean that the entire field is an issue?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I see that as reason to investigate everything on a case-by-case basis (and deal sternly with anyone who's so far out of line that it's legally actionable). Likewise it's increasingly easy to find anecdotes online of people who feel they were severely damaged after being inappropriately given strong psych drugs for very ordinary run-of-the-mill life stresses. Does the mere existence of some number of psychiatrists who push undocumented poly-drug cocktails on people inappropriately mean that the entire field is an issue?

What do you mean by 'undocumented'?

And the difference, obviously is that there are zero times when homeopathy is actually doing anything. The field is an 'issue' because it's complete bullshit, not just because the people doing it are pushy about the bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Unfortunately, the very people you praise made this impossible to do by making them impossible to regulate.

The entire field is an issue. Homeopathy has been well studied. It doesn't work. No amount of special pleading is going to change that.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 28, 2014

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Obdicut posted:

What do you mean by 'undocumented'?

medications which are known or hypothesized to interact for which there exists little to no large sample long term study as to their interaction; often one or more drug in the mix being for an off label use. That sort of thing.

CommieGIR posted:

The entire field is an issue. Homeopathy has been well studied. It doesn't work. No amount of special pleading is going to change that.
Placebos work and are very safe; why shouldn't their sale and advocacy be just as allowable as things which are active and potentially much more dangerous?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"Tim Raines IRL" posted:

Placebos work and are very safe; why shouldn't their sale and advocacy be just as allowable as things which are active and potentially much more dangerous?

Because they are not selling placebos, at least as far as they are concerned and the patients are concerned. They are selling 'miracle cures' and 'treatments'

I'm just going to point you back up to the 'What Harm Could It Cause' website linked above.

Botton line? A lot of harm

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If they sold them as placebos instead of alternative medicine, explained what the placebo effect was, and were regulated to ensure that a situation like the zinc poisoning mentioned earlier couldn't happen, then that would be a more reasonable argument.

Just giving placebos as a treatment without stating that they're placebos, though, is medically unethical, because it's misinforming the patient about the nature of the treatment they're receiving.

• Locked thread