Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cheekio posted:

I agree with this, and I think the problem with the discussion about Herbal Medicine is I don't know any way to accurately pin down the terminology to be clearly right or wrong. Echenecea apparently isn't more effective than placebos, but willow bark certainly is.

The majority of homeopathic medicines I've encountered are just herbal medicines with a label that says Homeopathy. That said, I've never seen anything suggesting Homeopathy had any medicinal benefit, so if anyone wants to refute homeopathy or crystals then I'd be all ears.

Actual "acupuncture" was proven to be as effective or worse in reported pain relief when compared to just poking people with toothpicks and telling them it was acpunture.

Traditional Medicine, Acupunture, etc. as fields are completely full of poo poo. Saying some plants work as medicine is a factually correct statement, but when that happens, the plant is studied and the active compound is isolated and then reproduced in large quantities by pharmaceutical companies for research and development.

Homeopathy is such a broad term its hard to simply use a blanket statement to disprove it other then "stupid bullshit". If you talk about the dilution method, i.e taking a small amount of something toxic, diluting the poo poo out of it with water, then ingesting the massively diluted material basic math can demonstrate that you are consuming quantities of material in the parts per trillion, orders of magnitude below the established threshold for toxicity.

For crystals, I don't really know what else to say besides a specific geometric configuration of certain elements isn't in any way chemically different then regular rocks. You don't see people going into their garden, grabbing pebbles and rubbing them all over themselves to absorb the "energy" present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cheekio posted:

I meant to say if anyone wants to support homeopathy they're welcome to, because I assumed no one here would defend homeopathy. I certainly won't, so there's probably not a lot of good debate to be had on the subject here.

I was just looking up more evidence for acidophilus and its effects on the brain, re: The Radiolab epidsode "Guts", and couldn't find anything. Which is sort of disappointing, because I also struck out on convincing evidence that Omega 3 has any effect on brain function, which is something I thought was well accepted.

Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are a type of compound that we still can't make artificially and the only source is a natural byproduct. Also, the study of the mechanisms of both are so closely entwined that they really aren't separately examined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_fatty_acid_interactions

That article isn't really clear for the layman, but if you really want to understand the importance of the omega fatty acids the explanation/proof is there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Melthir posted:

Does anyone have anything that shows why you think chiropractors are horeshit. Because I tell you what, I feel like a million bucks after I get my back adjusted. If it is poo poo I would like to know why and what about getting my back adjusted is feeling good.

"Chiropractors" are a weird field, because its more or less therapeutic massage, which has a lot of well established benefits, and its been hijacked by quacks who claim they can "re-align" bones and perform other physically impossible things that they then claim cure a wide variety of diseases.

Oh, and your "back adjustment" is just regular stretching. No bones are repositioned in any way and if the chiropractor is telling you he's adjusting your spine never go back there because you might end up with nerve damage from him damaging your body.

• Locked thread