Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

duodenum posted:

I don't have anything to cite because I heard this in conversation a long time ago, but it was said that the benefits that people report from things like acupuncture and chiropractic back manipulation are only about what one would see from receiving a massage treatment. That's it's more likely about what benefits (psychological and physical) we receive from mutual grooming behaviors than from anything like what quack practitioners claim.

Does that sound right or reasonable as a shorthand to explain whatever benefits people stand by to defend quacks?

Mostly. One thing to remember is that there is only limited evidence that sticking needles in people randomly has some benefits vs conventional treatment. That is to say, "acupuncture" does not actually work, because acupuncture isn't random placement. Instead it says the positions of the needles matter, but this has never been shown to be significant. The other issue is that the evidence sham acupuncture works is tenuous, among other things there are a lot of issues when the 'placebo' is very different from the test group-- in that you aren't just giving both groups a pill that they can't distinguish between. It would be very obvious that you were in the control group of an acupuncture study if you aren't getting stabbed with needles.

The takehome message is that as they have done more and more sophisticated (better) clinical trials on acupuncture efficacy the % improvement from the control group is less and less, which should definitely give you pause to whether or not there's actually true significance.

OP posted:

I don't like either acupuncture or herbal medicine, which is why it annoys me that there's evidence that they're medicinally beneficial that stands up to modern scientific rigor. This was brought up as a derail in another thread, so here we are. My argument is that the Acupuncture and herbal medicine have medicinal benefits that are backed by double blind clinical trials, the gold standard of what's 'real'. Where we left off:

Pretty much every clinical trial claims to have a placebo controlled double blind setup but many of them don't really adequately do so. Very lovely studies getting published is unfortunately very common in the field, even in top journals.

tsa fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread