Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Cheekio posted:

Who likes an OP full of quotes from another thread?

I don't like either acupuncture or herbal medicine, which is why it annoys me that there's evidence that they're medicinally beneficial that stands up to modern scientific rigor. This was brought up as a derail in another thread, so here we are. My argument is that the Acupuncture and herbal medicine have medicinal benefits that are backed by double blind clinical trials, the gold standard of what's 'real'. Where we left off:

You shouldn't be surprised that some herbs and some treatments have measurable effects. Sugar pills have measurable benefits in treating diseases, because the placebo effect is a thing.

All modern medicine does is isolate the parts that working and put a measurable dose and result on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Sergg posted:

My uncle died a horrible death from sinus cancer because he tried homeopathic and naturopathic 'medicine' for an entire year instead of actual medicine. By the time he got chemo it was too late. These quacks do real harm.

Isn't that how Steve Jobs died?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Tim Raines IRL posted:

My criteria for seeking medical care is "fever over 101 that lasts for more than 48 hours" or "severe or unusual pain". The most recent time that I was given an antibiotic was after experiencing severe ear pain which felt for all the world like an inner ear infection (the likes of which I haven't had since I was ~10). This turned out to be a TMJ problem and not an infection of any kind, but I was still given paper for ABs despite having an ear that looked completely normal through a scope.

Some folks prescribe AB's to shut people up because they want a pill and you can't give people literal placebos.

It's not a good thing but it's a byproduct of a for-profit medical system.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Tim Raines IRL posted:

That's not what my insurance company said when they authorized and paid for it.

Insurance companies pay for a lot of poo poo that may not work, and often refuse to pay for things that will.

It's not a great metric to go by.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You can't find any masseuse anywhere that will pop your back and other joints, though, so you've got to go with the place that makes you feel good. Until the crazy Uzbek massage parlour finally moves into town, it's the chiropractor for me!

Well yeah if you are going to disregard medicine entirely just go for what feels good to you.

Also: A good argument for legalized prostitution.

• Locked thread