Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I change my opinion, this game is good if you liked civ 5. It's not 60 dollars good though, imo

i figured as much

i'll pick it up when it's on sane for like $20 or somethin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I change my opinion, this game is good if you liked civ 5. It's not 60 dollars good though, imo

wait wtf they're charging 60? for the steam release??

i'd just assumed there was no chance in hell it would break $40 price point since it looks so expansion-like, and even then it would be too much to be worth paying

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
i hear it is like civ 5 with all the dlc

so it would be the price of civ 5 with all the dlc plus a skin

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So yah

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/36075/

this plus 10 bucks for being in space

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I bought it already dude.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This game is Ninety United States Dollars on Steam.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Where the hell do you live that this game is 90 bucks?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

New Zealand, which is in the Australian Steam Region. I buy my games from Amazon, GMG and various other key sites.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
No Ned, just candy, ninety dollars

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

New Zealand, which is in the Australian Steam Region. I buy my games from Amazon, GMG and various other key sites.

If you ever wanted aomwthing off our store just let me know

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

If you ever wanted aomwthing off our store just let me know

I might do during the Christmas Sales.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dexters Secret posted:

two things turned me off of civ 5, that was how long games took even on the 'Quick' setting (like half a fuckin day unless you military rushed and then you don't get to see most of the game), and just how loving annoying managing workers was because putting them on automate turns them into retards

also it took the computer AIs a lot longer to 'think' as you got into the game, even with a very good rig

is any of this addressed at all

those are the two weirdest things to complain about, especially for a 4X. I never thought worker micro in any of the civ games got bad until the late game.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

one unit per tile is most definitely did not make civ5 better than 4, and the way civ5 implemented 1upt made it absolutely loving terrible

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If you paid money to 'preorder' this game please confirm that you are literally retarded or smash yourself on the frontal lobe with a pipe wrench thankssssss

nothing makes me feel more like the godlike master of an entire civilization than having one squad of medieval bowmen take up all the space between New York City and Baltimore, preventing me from moving a squad of spearmen through the same space

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Borsche69 posted:

one unit per tile is most definitely did not make civ5 better than 4, and the way civ5 implemented 1upt made it absolutely loving terrible

zerg rushing is for rts's, clearly you don't understand the superiour tactical alskdfjla;skdjf;laksdjf;laksdjf;lkajsd;flkajsd;lfkjas

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

drilldo squirt posted:

I want to know where people live that it's 60 United States Dollars.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Tujague posted:

If you paid money to 'preorder' this game please confirm that you are literally retarded or smash yourself on the frontal lobe with a pipe wrench thankssssss

nothing makes me feel more like the godlike master of an entire civilization than having one squad of medieval bowmen take up all the space between New York City and Baltimore, preventing me from moving a squad of spearmen through the same space

Good to know, GBS guy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tujague posted:

you should do the same thing if you have a pony av

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
You guys are going to preorder the next simcity too aren't ya

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i'm at turn 280 or something now and nothing's really happened which is kinda disappointing. aliens have killed like 2 of my 12 or so military units, all the guys next to me have been really chill, and nobody's declared war on the other continent either. all of my buildings are either things I don't want or wonders that take 40 turns to build, and I keep asking my ally to go to war with someone and he's just like "no thank you"

something, please. happen. this is on normal difficulty btw, im no civ scrub

e: thank you for the thread title change, it is better now

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
is this game good

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

my friend steam shared with me so i will playthis

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I played a game on normal and nearly won. Had a couple wars happen. Blew up some aliens. Moved some dudes around.

I'll have to wait to play a non-learning the ropes game later, but it wasn't awful at least.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This looks kinda neat but $60 for what looks like a standalone expansion for a four year old game?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

"Standalone expansion" doesn't seem like a good summary. It does quite a bit different. Here's the three major things I noticed:

The tech tree is replaced by a tech web. Instead of 3-4 choices along a length fairly linear path, you can easily have a dozen or two within a much flatter structure. However, you'll likely be leaning heavily towards pumping your chosen affinity to upgrade your units.

Speaking of which, units are not upgraded with specific technologies. They upgrade with your affinities which you can get from technologies, but there isn't a "pikeman" tech that upgrades your spearmen. You get your basic infantry upgraded at affinity 6 (to pick an arbitrary number) with any faction you go for, and they give different perks to the units permanently. And you get a choice between two perks in every affinity as well.

There is no culture victory, so virtues (the culture replacement) are more for fixing gaps or helping other victory conditions rather than a victory condition itself. IT feels like it has a lot more balance between shooting for the bottom of a single tree at a time and diversifying between trees due to the tier vs tree bonuses.

I think it's definitely different enough to not just be Civ5 rehashed with a space aesthetic, even though it is still pretty similar. I'll probably have a better review after the weekend.

klapman posted:

i'm at turn 280 or something now and nothing's really happened which is kinda disappointing. aliens have killed like 2 of my 12 or so military units, all the guys next to me have been really chill, and nobody's declared war on the other continent either. all of my buildings are either things I don't want or wonders that take 40 turns to build, and I keep asking my ally to go to war with someone and he's just like "no thank you"

something, please. happen. this is on normal difficulty btw, im no civ scrub

e: thank you for the thread title change, it is better now
One of the AI players in my game wiped out another AI and nearly a second. There was about to be a world war with everyone denouncing everyone else, but then everyone suddenly got into a race for their affinity specific victory conditions at the same time and the game ended before the apocalypse.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 24, 2014

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
its an ok civ5 mod

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Kylra posted:

"Standalone expansion" doesn't seem like a good summary. It does quite a bit different. Here's the three major things I noticed:

The tech tree is replaced by a tech web. Instead of 3-4 choices along a length fairly linear path, you can easily have a dozen or two within a much flatter structure. However, you'll likely be leaning heavily towards pumping your chosen affinity to upgrade your units.

Speaking of which, units are not upgraded with specific technologies. They upgrade with your affinities which you can get from technologies, but there isn't a "pikeman" tech that upgrades your spearmen. You get your basic infantry upgraded at affinity 6 (to pick an arbitrary number) with any faction you go for, and they give different perks to the units permanently. And you get a choice between two perks in every affinity as well.

There is no culture victory, so virtues (the culture replacement) are more for fixing gaps or helping other victory conditions rather than a victory condition itself. IT feels like it has a lot more balance between shooting for the bottom of a single tree at a time and diversifying between trees due to the tier vs tree bonuses.

I think it's definitely different enough to not just be Civ5 rehashed with a space aesthetic, even though it is still pretty similar. I'll probably have a better review after the weekend.

One of the AI players in my game wiped out another AI and nearly a second. There was about to be a world war with everyone denouncing everyone else, but then everyone suddenly got into a race for their affinity specific victory conditions at the same time and the game ended before the apocalypse.

Are there any differences in the mechanics that made civ 5 bad, like 1upt implementation and global happiness?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Are there any differences in the mechanics that made civ 5 bad, like 1upt implementation and global happiness?
1upt is still in, with the same military+civilian stacking allowance. Cities can have 1 water unit, 1 land unit, 1 worker and I don't know how many aircraft (carriers can carry more than 1 so I assume cities can as well). Trade caravans are special and stack infinitely with anything. I never really had any major problems with it in Civ5 though, and preferred it to doom stacks. So, I don't know what about 1upt made Civ5 bad other than as a preference or the AI having more problems with it than doomstacks (which I think it still does).

I think it's harder to maintain as large an army in BE though, so unit clogging may not be as noticeable. Still need to get more time in to say for sure though.

Happiness is replaced by Health, and is a lot less dramatic in effect. You can go up to -20 with a penalty of -10% science, production and culture. Even -20 and beyond is just -50% growth and your new settlements take twice as long to turn into usable cities. It's not too hard to keep positive past the early game, and if you do get enough positive you get the same bonuses to the same things basically. By the end of my first game I had something like +50 health and 8 cities with around 20 pop each. There didn't seem to be a per city health penalty, only population. Overall I like BE's health better than Civ5's happiness so far.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 24, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I change my opinion, this game is good if you liked civ 5.

And by that you mean it's poo poo for people with poo poo taste, I presume.

e: I have to disagree with the poster above - I don't think the game differs enough from Civ5 right now to warrant a purchase. Some of the mechanics are neat, but the old issues outweigh the new mechanics. The AI is still retarded and can't handle 1UPT or diplomacy and there are still long stretches of waiting around for that unit or wonder or tech. It's also really noticeable that they tried going for the SMAC feel but the quotes and such range from mediocre to "Jaden Smith level philosophy". The flat monotone narrator also doesn't help.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 24, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

e: I have to disagree with the poster above - I don't think the game differs enough from Civ5 right now to warrant a purchase. Some of the mechanics are neat, but the old issues outweigh the new mechanics. The AI is still retarded and can't handle 1UPT or diplomacy and there are still long stretches of waiting around for that unit or wonder or tech.
I won't necessarily disagree with this. If you're not into Civ style games (or maybe just Civ5 depending) it might be best to wait.

At least take what I've said with a grain of salt. I still only have some idea of how it plays out and I've only done one game. I'll probably go through a few more this weekend and have a better opinion then.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I more just wanted to get at that it's just not really an expansion for Civ5 and is more analagous to Civ4: Colonization vs Civ4, though not quite as different.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I also don't get why the game is so loving dark. It's as if it's always night on the planet, plus the dark blue UI. When I first saw footage I figured the streamer just had crappy video settings.

You can look at a Civ5 map and tell, say, desert and plains apart right away. I have trouble doing the same with BE.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

does this really start out with 40 turns of you alone on the planet before the AIs show up

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
*Leonard Nimoy voice* Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it... except for this reskin of Civ 5

90 bucks for a game that can't even manage to edge out Civ 4? Nope.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

conceitedguy posted:

does this really start out with 40 turns of you alone on the planet before the AIs show up
In my game they started showing up on turn 2. I don't get why there's a delay. When they dropped though, some had more than the default start's worth of stuff. Cities with 2-3 pop at least.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

conceitedguy posted:

It seems random, sometimes everyone is settled by turn 15 and sometimes it's spread out a lot.

Hella annoying too because they go and introduce themselves right after landing so you can't alt-tab out during the AIs turn.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

This game has everything you saw from Civ5+Expansions.

Spies, Trade Routes and Ruins.

Here are the gimmicks that make it not Civ5+Expansions.

Space Setting. (At map creation you select a plant so its all not just one planet).
Custom Civ style selection (You get a mess of choices on who sponsers you as well as pick your spaceship perk and a few other things instead of just picking the one civ)
Oribtal Objects (You can launch satellites that do special poo poo like clear misama and Laser cannon people on the ground)
Alien Barbaians (Aliens are all over the place and function like barbaians cept now you have to agitate them to get them to attack you)
Quests (Building a structure as well as finding someone or something triggers a quest with branch choices that change the function of infastructure buildings)
AI Civs give Favors (Now the motherfuckers give you a favor token if they beg for help so you got something to show and dickwave on them)
Web Tech Tree (Branches and leaves make for a less linar tech tree)
Narrowed down Victory Conditions (Evacuate Earth, Take over Earth, Become a psychic flower, kill everyone, contact ancient aliens and chill with them)
No loving Tourism or religion (gently caress that system)
Miasma (Areas on the map are infected with alien miasma that humans take damage from)(You can clear it or become one with it but its new)
City establishment (Settlers now establish an outpost and when the outpost has all the territory around it it becomes a city)
Each affinity gets a twist on the normal units and a few special ones(The Red Affinity{Full Human} path gets you a special space marine unit)
Don't gently caress with the Alien Siege Worm(Aliens are very numerous and all over the place, Some civs give you poo poo for loving with the aliens)
Spies can cause cool effects like setting off a dirty bomb(The improved spy system is cool beans)

I never played this Alpha Centari game but if you liked Civ5+Expansions then this is the same game with a pile of gimmicks and a spacey theme. Think how much Civ5 would not suck if you started off in the future and not with loving elephants in the age of the spearman. Game is a lot more narrowed down and most of the stupid bullshit from Civ5 is out. You can expect the uneventful turns and stupid looking hex roads you have come to love from the Civ5 game/engine.

So yeah it's literally CIV5+Expansions with gimmicks in space. Don't buy if you didn't like Civ5. I liked Civ5 so I like this game.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 24, 2014

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lmao do you AUs ever really pay that much for a videogame? come on.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Drinkfist posted:

You can expect the uneventful turns and stupid looking hex roads you have come to love from the Civ5 game/engine.
What are you talking about? Have you even seen how many trade convoys there are? Excitement.

I forgot to mention the orbital objects. Probably because I didn't really use any my first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Kylra posted:

1upt is still in, with the same military+civilian stacking allowance. Cities can have 1 water unit, 1 land unit, 1 worker and I don't know how many aircraft (carriers can carry more than 1 so I assume cities can as well). Trade caravans are special and stack infinitely with anything. I never really had any major problems with it in Civ5 though, and preferred it to doom stacks. So, I don't know what about 1upt made Civ5 bad other than as a preference or the AI having more problems with it than doomstacks (which I think it still does).

I think it's harder to maintain as large an army in BE though, so unit clogging may not be as noticeable. Still need to get more time in to say for sure though.

Happiness is replaced by Health, and is a lot less dramatic in effect. You can go up to -20 with a penalty of -10% science, production and culture. Even -20 and beyond is just -50% growth and your new settlements take twice as long to turn into usable cities. It's not too hard to keep positive past the early game, and if you do get enough positive you get the same bonuses to the same things basically. By the end of my first game I had something like +50 health and 8 cities with around 20 pop each. There didn't seem to be a per city health penalty, only population. Overall I like BE's health better than Civ5's happiness so far.

Yikes. I guess I didn't really expect them to deviate from the Civ 5 formula much but oh well.

• Locked thread