Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
gal civ 2 owns because you have a race that uses only slavery and they gave everyone race specific buildings so you just get giant pits of slaves until they have been there so long you have slaves mining out more slaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
You think they would grow like population would since slaves gently caress also.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

drilldo squirt posted:

You think they would grow like population would since slaves gently caress also.

Only MoO2 had that but even then you had to be genetically pure otherwise you would just get your base race.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Masters of orion 2 is the best game I ever played and I wish they would make a new one.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Masters of orion 2 is the best game I ever played and I wish they would make a new one.

yeah

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I cant wait to play this game in 4 hours and 20 minutes when its finally released.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The military techs in that game had descriptions like "the second laser tier" and a few other techs had placeholder descriptions. The unit builder made combat pretty broken iirc. The AI and how planets worked were pretty cool and that's all I remember about that game.

it wasnt really the descriptions that were good, but all techs had a nice little description of them once you actually aquired them

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Skeleton King posted:

gal civ ii was full of humor, interesting tech descriptions, and the races had all very well defined personalities and major gameplay changes between them- from how and when they would settle other planets, to what kind of weapons they would build- to how they would do diplomacy, to the kind of tech they wanted everything was p detailed and fun (combat was a little too easy at a certain point though for sure)

check youself

it was completely mediocre, ugly and got boring really fast.

BE so far looks like civ5 reskin. the tech web, factions, and affinities, which all were supposed to be big selling points are superficial as gently caress.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The military techs in that game had descriptions like "the second laser tier" and a few other techs had placeholder descriptions. The unit builder made combat pretty broken iirc. The AI and how planets worked were pretty cool and that's all I remember about that game.

Yeah there was like 50 Laser Techs and each one gave like +1% to lasers, +2%, +3% ... +50%. Cut and repeat for like, Armor Techs and other crap.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Eh, I guess in that lens, Beyond the Sword made things "worse." But the game absolutely got better after that expansion was released.

Civ 3 sucked.

I like the Civs that were introduced and I like some of the new options that BTS brought in, but on the whole the features that BTS brought along were pretty poor. Like the space race now requires you to wait like 10-20 turns after you launch your space ship to win the game. This isn't necessary at all and I have never seen it actually play as a factor - the first one to launch has always been the first one to win from what I've seen.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Yolomancer is right and too many people easily conflate the type of balance that a patch brought with the expansion that was available at that time. Yes, Civ got more balanced with time, but stuff like espionage, corps, and AP threw the balance out of whack.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Thread lies, it's completely unplayable and will remain so at least until a few patches are released.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also other than the pretty difficult to attain (but nearly impossible to stop) early AP victory, what was so bad about it if you turned that victory condition off?

Corporations are powerful as gently caress, and Sid's Sushi is hilarious, but what was wrong with Espionage?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The other thread is like concentrated sunk-cost fallacy.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Also other than the pretty difficult to attain (but nearly impossible to stop) early AP victory, what was so bad about it if you turned that victory condition off?

Corporations are powerful as gently caress, and Sid's Sushi is hilarious, but what was wrong with Espionage?

The AI has no idea how to manage it, and with their production bonuses they just poo poo out a billion spies. You end up playing whack a mole with your tile improvements being destroyed or water poisoned. Back in civ3 they had a pollution mechanic, where at a certain point in the modern age, cities would "pollute" surrounding tiles and they would give no yield until a worker cleaned it up. This was based on random chance and was never fun, so they removed it from the game. That whack a mole type feeling comes back with the randomness of the AI espionage.

It's also broken from the human perspective, where bonus modifiers like jails and security bureau's actually make it a pretty profitable form of economy, where you can build up espionage points really fast and just steal techs from the AI constantly.

In multiplayer it's stupidly broken, since the spy unit can scout out enemy territory and make attacks either impossible (scout out enemy unit composition well ahead of the attack) or unstoppable (send city into a riot which invalidates all cultural defensive bonuses, and walls/castle defensive bonuses, also sabotage production, or scouting out enemy unit composition). The intelligence gathering during warfare becomes WAY too simple, especially with how cheap the unit is, and that you can build an infinite amount of them, and removing them is down to random chance.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

i think that this game is fun and i am enjoying playing it :)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Those are fair points. I can totally understand how dumb that is, especially with the lack of active counter-espionage. I wonder if making spies national units would help? Basically you can field 4 of them at a time, or something like that and they cost espionage points to build. Great Spies would still be 'free'.

And yea it was dumb that even if you were running counter espionage, and were hugely out-producing the AI on espionage points and had spies all over your empire, they would still be able to sabotage tile improvements every 2-3 turns. Pretty unfun mechanic imo.

The city revolt thing is a good example of how espionage should work though. Make it expensive to do, but the defense nullification is terrific and powerful and worth doing, just needed to be balanced vs other espionage tradeoffs a bit better.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Impermanent posted:

The other thread is like concentrated sunk-cost fallacy.

Oh word?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Those are fair points. I can totally understand how dumb that is, especially with the lack of active counter-espionage. I wonder if making spies national units would help? Basically you can field 4 of them at a time, or something like that and they cost espionage points to build. Great Spies would still be 'free'.

And yea it was dumb that even if you were running counter espionage, and were hugely out-producing the AI on espionage points and had spies all over your empire, they would still be able to sabotage tile improvements every 2-3 turns. Pretty unfun mechanic imo.

The city revolt thing is a good example of how espionage should work though. Make it expensive to do, but the defense nullification is terrific and powerful and worth doing, just needed to be balanced vs other espionage tradeoffs a bit better.

In vanilla civ you had to research Communism, build a national wonder, and then you were limited to 3 spies. The spy missions cost gold at that time, iirc. It was a pretty decent mechanics.

While we're talking about the 'expensive' costs of espionage actions, it was definitely WAY too cheap to bump people into different civics/religions using spies. Late game multiplayer became all about bumping people into poo poo civics or religions over and over lol. Also I remember stuff like poison water supply being ridiculously broken on Epic and Marathon speeds (the length of time they would last didn't scale with the length of the game, so they ended up lasting way longer than they should've lol).

Basically BTS is what you get when someone just adds a bunch of 'cool' crap to a game without thinking about how it plays with everything else. It plays more like a well polished mod, than anything else. COINCIDENTALLY Jon Shafer was the lead designer for BTS. He was hired because he made a bunch of really lovely mods for Civ3. He was also the lead designer for Civ5. Lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jon Shafer should have his stupid head hit with a brick.

Civ 5 is a bad game because it is very poorly balanced and most of all it's basically a singleplayer only game because of the bad multiplayer, which is only made worse by the lack of an actual multiplayer community in the first place. who the gently caress think this game is fun against a braindead ai?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

Jon Shafer should have his stupid head hit with a brick.

Civ 5 is a bad game because it is very poorly balanced and most of all it's basically a singleplayer only game because of the bad multiplayer, which is only made worse by the lack of an actual multiplayer community in the first place. who the gently caress think this game is fun against a braindead ai?

Before Civ5 got released, there was a Civ4 community on somethingawful, and nearly every single loving person was playing on noble or lower. People today just want to come home from their lovely loving job and win, just stomp all over whatever they're playing.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Hello. I play on Emperor. Thank you.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I play on Monarch, because I'm bad.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I play on Monarch, because I'm bad.

monarch isn't bad. hell, i have respect for prince players, because they're at least taking the AI on at a difficulty level where it fights back.

In my mind anyone that knows about basic strategy (ie, how to place cities, what tiles to work, how to use workers, how to chop, and how to whip) should definitely beat Monarch. Imo Monarch/Emperor is probably the base difficulty. Diety and Immortal are way easier than in vanilla civ (in that, they are actually beatable) but its still at the point where you need to strictly follow certain strategies, whereas Emperor gives you a lot more freedom.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I played like a step above Settler in Civ 4 like 8 years ago or w/e, but it's not my kind of game so much so I didn't pursue becoming a master at it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I usually played Prince or Monarch in Civ4. Except for one game where I abused the gently caress out of everything including save-scumming, and was able to win with a Churchill conquest victory before industrialization on deity.

Protective Charismatic CR3 Redcoats are extremely my poo poo.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Playing Sumeria and rushing to Vultures is probably the easiest way to win on small maps.

I play on Emperor :cool: (Deity in V because holy poo poo the AI is bad)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bump, this game has been out for 9 days and been playable for 0 and i dont think anyone plays it anymore

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i play it borsche, come troll me

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sulla finally released his BNW review http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/bnwreview.html

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wow. I assumed he just shelved Civ 5 entirely after his review in early 2011 or whatever.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
His last Civ 4 vid was like 4 months ago but at least he's playing things other than League of Legends again.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

this is good poo poo

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sulla is so cool.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sulla is so cool.

He's epic.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sulla is so cool.

sulla was an optimate. screw his cursus honorum for aristocratic brats, i roll with marius

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

when i grow up i want to be just like sulla

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Civ5 suffers here from a mistaken attempt to balance "Tall" empires against "Wide" empires. This is something that the designers mentioned frequently in the buildup to the game's release, and the Civ5 community discusses this all the time as well. It's a baffling concept that makes absolutely no sense when discussing gameplay in the empire-building genre of games. Why in the world would you want to create a game where a "Tall" empire of four cities would be as strong as a "Wide" empire of twenty cities? If that's the case, then what's the point of expanding at all? It's much easier to sit on a handful of cities, after all. An empire-building game where small nations are just as good as large nations is an empire-building game where expansion becomes pointless. This is exactly what Brave New World has done: it has undercut the entire purpose of the genre! Let me make use of an analogy here: arguing that "Wide" and "Tall" empires should be balanced is like arguing that small armies in Starcraft should be able to compete on even terms with large armies. I mean, that sounds incredibly stupid, right? The purpose of Starcraft is to build an army to kill your opponent. Sure, there are units designed to counter mass spam of cheap units, but the basic principle remains that bigger armies are better. If you could defeat a 200 supply army with a 50 supply army, then what would be the point of building units at all? Such a mechanic would destroy the entire raison d'etre behind Starcraft. Brave New World does the same thing with respect to expansion. A handful of cities performs as well as a large empire, making expansion and warfare pointless. This mistaken attempt to balance "Wide" and "Tall" strikes a blow at the very heart of why people play the Civilization games in the first place.

This is a good review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

If you could kill 10 billion marines with 3 battle cruisers starcraft would have people still playing it, because it would be loving awesome.

• Locked thread