Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Silver Striker posted:

COTM is too dark because of an issue with the original GBA devkits having different brightness from the actual retail GBAs.

I did not know that and that's kinda neat! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Imagine me doing a double take reading this and a whole bowl of popcorn spilled everywhere

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh come the gently caress on i could have shoved those cheetos into my cavernous maw

what a waste

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

oh come the gently caress on i could have shoved those cheetos into my cavernous maw

what a waste

I loving love me some flaming hot cheetos.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
bonus gif, not really thread related

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Expected that Time magazine cover that's the mirror, pretty disappointed in you OP

That dude is p-loving dumb for that castlevania IV comment though. Also I liked the DS games more than the GBA

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

hoo dat

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

hahaha, from the wizard thread.

I lolled for real, saved.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm going to go out on the limb and say only two of the Castlevania GBA games are good.

Castlevania Double Pack and Circle of the Moon

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Castlevania 2 and its cousin Zelda 2 had a lot of really good ideas that nobody has figured out how to make a great game with yet

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
had castlevania 1 as kid and it was a good game but i'd definitely rather play SOTN or COTM over it any day of the week.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Castlevania 2 might be one of the worst sequels to a good game ever. The original was amazing, and 2 had aspirations to be even better...but flopped big time. Grinding, complete lack of direction, abysmal translation, backtracking...

Zelda 2, however, is even better than the original Zelda.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Also every GBA and DS Castlevania is Really Good™ and Symphony of the Night needs no explanation for its praise. But then there's the N64 games, and the Lords of Shadow series, and Castlevania IV... So many garbage games.

These are all things we know already so here's something you might not: Kid Dracula (Famicom) is loving amazing and you should go play it right loving now.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
We're seriously calling caslevania IV garbage? Why?

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Holy poo poo!!! What a loving human being!!

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Cyra posted:

he's not wrong, the gba games are better than the nes games, which are not fun to play. castlevania 4 is though

Eh, they're better, but the first 3 are a completely diff genre so they're barely comparable. I'd like to see Castlevania 4 style remakes of 2 and 3 though.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

Castlevania 2 and its cousin Zelda 2 had a lot of really good ideas that nobody has figured out how to make a great game with yet

It's called SOTN

I have been playing Circle of the Moon recently and holy poo poo I can see why people don't like it.

I guess if I'd played it before Lament and Aria I'd like it a lot better, but it really is a huge step back.

ForeverSmug fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 25, 2014

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Cyra posted:

We're seriously calling caslevania IV garbage? Why?

I am, anyway, but hating it is apparently an unpopular opinion. I think that game is some of the most overrated poo poo I've ever played. It's got good moments though, and I do regret lumping it in with such abominations as Lords of Shadow and Simon's Quest.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Mach2 posted:

I am, anyway, but hating it is apparently an unpopular opinion. I think that game is some of the most overrated poo poo I've ever played. It's got good moments though, and I do regret lumping it in with such abominations as Lords of Shadow and Simon's Quest.

Actually it's good. It's just the rallying point for everybody who wanted Castlevania no not go the symphony route

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
SCIV is an easy-as-gently caress tech demo for the SNES but I still enjoy the ride and it's music loving owns.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I never got why people bitch about c4 being easy when all it does is take the jank out of the nes games. Most of the difficulty is just through dumbass design issues that are only there because they didn't know any better at the time.

"Castlevania doesn't have air control because it wants you to consider your jumps because it makes it more horror like..."

No, that's not "why" it doesn't have air control any more than starcraft only letting you pick 12 dudes is to encourage Koreans to develop their wrist strength.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

zen death robot posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

i'll throw it on the pile of games to play

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
can you describe the 'jank' with the nes games. are they too "Clunky"

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
like.. air control isnt something they forgot to program.. its a pretty deliberate design decision and makes games like super ghouls and ghosts what they are

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

bonzibuddy64 posted:

can you describe the 'jank' with the nes games. are they too "Clunky"

i stop reading anytime someone mentions jank

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

C4 makes the sub weapons kinda pointless because the whip can do everything better and you can kinda barrel through it which is the opposite of 1 and 3 (the best old games).

its still fun but it kinda forgets what castlevania is and feels more generic. luckily the graphics were super badass when it came out so nobody cared.

Dec 26, 2012

ForeverSmug posted:

I never got why people bitch about c4 being easy when all it does is take the jank out of the nes games. Most of the difficulty is just through dumbass design issues that are only there because they didn't know any better at the time.

"Castlevania doesn't have air control because it wants you to consider your jumps because it makes it more horror like..."

No, that's not "why" it doesn't have air control any more than starcraft only letting you pick 12 dudes is to encourage Koreans to develop their wrist strength.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Dracula X on PC engine is the best not sotn castlevania

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

C4 had that cylindrical background spinning a few levels in, gave me mad motion sickness

3/10

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

thuly posted:

Dracula X on PC engine is the best not sotn castlevania

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

"I've seen what you posted," said the black man. "And now you're gonna get whats coming to you."

Alright, let's do this: Impzone forum project: we're going to find and gang rape user TheHoosier. This is win!

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

bonzibuddy64 posted:

like.. air control isnt something they forgot to program.. its a pretty deliberate design decision and makes games like super ghouls and ghosts what they are

Look dude in this crazy hosed up world sometimes things are bad on accident. Sometimes we learn to adapt and that's okay but that doesn't retroactively make it good. People make mistakes.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Ban him

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can imagine

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

there are no bad castlevania games

lords of shadow is extremely bad