Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

there are no bad castlevania games

lords of shadow is extremely bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

romanowski posted:

lords of shadow is extremely bad

Gaijincraft games don't count

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

thuly posted:

Dracula X on PC engine is the best not sotn castlevania

I will accept this.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The original castlevania owns and you can gently caress off if you disagree

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

bonzibuddy64 posted:

like.. air control isnt something they forgot to program.. its a pretty deliberate design decision and makes games like super ghouls and ghosts what they are

i have never had fun because i tried to avoid something impossible to avoid because the game devs were too human being dumb to put in responsive controls. Jesus, Listen. Just loving listen to yourself, okay? This is what you're saying. *EXTREMELY JEWISH VOICE* "I don't think trickjumps are cool. I don't think crazy platforming challenge is cool. I think it's cool for games to suck, and for their controls to handle poorly. I enjoy games whose flaws I can write off as deliberate decisions to make the game worse. I enjoy eating trash and playing trash and rubbing trash into my body, and I am a human being." Now you look pretty lame, hmm?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
each and every Game'rs fantasy of the queer vampyre games is a Lie. Every Castlevania sucks. Illuminatus.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

bonus gif, not really thread related

lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cobweb Heart posted:

each and every Game'rs fantasy of the queer vampyre games is a Lie. Every Castlevania sucks. Illuminatus.

Ban this fuckhead

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Three is cool since you can make friends with a wizard, a pirate, or a vampire

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I really should try to beat the NES games. I've always wanted to do that but I've never succeeded. I will probably play the romhack of 2 that makes it good, as I have not played that before.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

The original castlevania owns and you can gently caress off if you disagree

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

i have never had fun because i tried to avoid something impossible to avoid because the game devs were too human being dumb to put in responsive controls. Jesus, Listen. Just loving listen to yourself, okay? This is what you're saying. *EXTREMELY JEWISH VOICE* "I don't think trickjumps are cool. I don't think crazy platforming challenge is cool. I think it's cool for games to suck, and for their controls to handle poorly. I enjoy games whose flaws I can write off as deliberate decisions to make the game worse. I enjoy eating trash and playing trash and rubbing trash into my body, and I am a human being." Now you look pretty lame, hmm?

I changed my opinion on account of not wanting to be on the same side as this guy

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Everyone needs to accept Castlevania into their lives. Except the second one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

would play castlevania ii: blackulas curse, the curse is that the police come out at night and treat simon belmont as if he was black even though he's white

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

StoryTime posted:

Everyone needs to accept Castlevania into their lives. Except the second one.

c'mon it deserves love. didn't that game feature bloody tears for the first time?

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I thought meant Second Life which made sense to me

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
castlevania 4 is loving stupid, sub weapons are useless and the whip is like half the screen in size, goes in every direction and doesn't have the same vulnerable start-up that other games had

combine that with all the silly tech demo WHOAH LOOK AT THIS MODE SEVEN WE CAN DO ON THE SUPER NINTENDO where you sit on hooks and watch neat stuff happen in the background and it's basically a 2D god of war

rondo of blood (which has a regular PC version with english translation that works perfectly on modern OS) is better in every single way possible. It takes all the kinda janky but cool controls/movement from the original game and instead of throwing them into the dumpster improves them while still keeping the specific pacing/decision making that made the original game stand out.

also for you babbies that can't deal with castlevania platforming it lets you play as a little anime girl who can double jump, making it the direct inspiration for that mode in the new ninja gaidens where you have to wear a big girly ribbon in order to get weaker enemies

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 25, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

would play castlevania ii: blackulas curse, the curse is that the police come out at night and treat simon belmont as if he was black even though he's white

what about a blaxploitation castlevania where blackula has revived in 1970's harlem and it's up to the pimp dolemite belmont to stop him and The Man that revived him

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

darealkooky posted:

castlevania 4 is loving stupid, sub weapons are useless and the whip is like half the screen in size, goes in every direction and doesn't have the same vulnerable start-up that other games had

combine that with all the silly tech demo WHOAH LOOK AT THIS MODE SEVEN WE CAN DO ON THE SUPER NINTENDO where you sit on hooks and watch neat stuff happen in the background and it's basically a 2D god of war

rondo of blood (which has a regular PC version with english translation that works perfectly on modern OS) is better in every single way possible. It takes all the kinda janky but cool controls/movement from the original game and instead of throwing them into the dumpster improves them while still keeping the specific pacing/decision making that made the original game stand out.

also for you babbies that can't deal with castlevania platforming it lets you play as a little anime girl who can double jump, making it the direct inspiration for that mode in the new ninja gaidens where you have to wear a big girly ribbon in order to get weaker enemies

Jesus Christ.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Jesus Christ.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

darealkooky posted:

gently caress you

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I'm sorry I need to be the bearer of bad news, but that game you liked is actually total bullshit only idiot morons enjoy

it happens to everyone

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

darealkooky posted:

Oh, word?

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

quote:

Holy loving poo poo!!! What a human being!!!

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Jesus Christ.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mP_ISMuFw

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Jesus Christ.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

L-Look, gamers, we can all agree: Castlevania rules. Go Shiggy, haha, right? My personal fave in the series is the one for psx. Song of the Night. I'm your typical "caslteroid" queer fanlet. Who doesn't know or respect ANYTHING about games and gaming. Jesus Christ, you people/.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

L-Look, gamers, we can all agree: Castlevania rules. Go Shiggy, haha, right? My personal fave in the series is the one for psx. Song of the Night. I'm your typical "caslteroid" queer fanlet. Who doesn't know or respect ANYTHING about games and gaming. Jesus Christ, you people/.

2/10

You can do better

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ForeverSmug posted:

2/10

You can do better

I don't think he can.

Super Castlevania IV is a fun romp, but it's not really a satisfying challenge. That's something it shares with Symphony of the Night. Both are fine games, but I wouldn't put them up as uncontested champions of the series.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

StoryTime posted:

I don't think he can.

Super Castlevania IV is a fun romp, but it's not really a satisfying challenge. That's something it shares with Symphony of the Night. Both are fine games, but I wouldn't put them up as uncontested champions of the series.

true enough but i don't think it's enough for a game to be challenging either. MM1 is easily one of the hardest mega man games ever but it's kinda meh compared to other games in the series. i'm hardly a castlevania connoisseur but cotm has a nice balance of good controls and challenging gameplay.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

darealkooky posted:

All of this is true, to be completely honest and fair. Castlevania IV is bad.

I think I'd like the game more if one simple change was implemented: Pull the camera out about 50% more. Hugemondo Belmondo And His Endless Whip taking up 80% of the screen was kind of lame, and the biggest flaw in level design is things that you can't see coming, including several leaps-of-faith.

E: Oh and make whip-swinging more than a useless feature that never factors into an actual platforming segment

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

are all the 3d castlevanias bad games?

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

muddream posted:

are all the 3d castlevanias bad games?

Lament of Innocence is 3d harmony of dissonance and curse of.darkness also.rules

they are real gun. Buy them

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

darealkooky posted:

almost all of your posts are about things you don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

ForeverSmug posted:

Lament of Innocence is 3d harmony of dissonance and curse of.darkness also.rules

they are real gun. Buy them

thanks friend. my ps2 broke years ago, but i will keep that in mind should konami release the catlevania hd collection in 2018 (includes metal gear solid 6 demo)

• Locked thread