Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's a Warcraft 3 mod.

I know that. I said I played it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I think a lot of mobas are overall bad and/or have a lot of unfun stuff in them, but I don't think that's inherent to mobas. Aside from the monetization and hero unlock scheme in Heroes of the Storm I think Blizzard is doing a lot right with the removal of last hitting, people on the same team not having uneven levels, the relative ease of coming back from being the underdog throughout the whole game, and other things I don't feel like listing at the moment.

There's also some that (sadly) never really took off like Stellar Impact which did mobas but not the same formula as lol or dota. It was basically space naval battleships + moba.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The worst part of dota is it made it impossible to find any other custom games and there were a lot of good custom WC3 maps.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I don't remember if they caught on as much with Warcraft 3 but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for those StarCraft UMS maps where you played as the characters from DBZ. Evolve maps were also insanely my poo poo.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Kylra posted:

I think a lot of mobas are overall bad and/or have a lot of unfun stuff in them, but I don't think that's inherent to mobas. Aside from the monetization and hero unlock scheme in Heroes of the Storm I think Blizzard is doing a lot right with the removal of last hitting, people on the same team not having uneven levels, the relative ease of coming back from being the underdog throughout the whole game, and other things I don't feel like listing at the moment.

I was actually liking the early alpha in HotS a lot, like the map gimmicks were neat and the games seldom going past 20 mins was nice.

Then they hosed around with how poo poo is unlocked and you have to level up with each hero to unlock all their talent things and yeah gently caress that poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

way to project

lol if you don't think mobas are just as big of a life surrogate as mmos

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The only Blizzard beta I have ever gotten into (not counting Hearthstone because everyone got into that) is the Heroes of the Storm one and I still have yet to play it at all.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Coolguye posted:

lol if you don't think mobas are just as big of a life surrogate as mmos

:ssh: that's projection too

It's also stupid as poo poo. The argument for MMOs being "life surrogates" is based around the fact there exist people that use them as their only form of social interaction. I can guarantee to you that there is not a single loving person that plays mobas in order to interact with the other people in them.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Then they hosed around with how poo poo is unlocked and you have to level up with each hero to unlock all their talent things and yeah gently caress that poo poo.
To get past talent gating relatively painlessly, just do practice mode in the background of something else and attack move in it every few minutes so you aren't afk kicked.

With real vs games it still only takes 4-5 of them.

It's annoying, but I like the game enough to just get through it. I have most of the heroes I have unlocked at 5 already for the gold, and I did about 90% of that with mostly afk practice rounds. Hopefully they'll remove the talent gating or speed it up a lot again (like maybe 1 practice game to unlock everything) before opening it up completely.

Silver Striker posted:

The only Blizzard beta I have ever gotten into (not counting Hearthstone because everyone got into that) is the Heroes of the Storm one and I still have yet to play it at all.
It's fun. If you want to add me on bnet I am Suzera#1834. Maybe we can play some rounds later. The basic strategies are pretty simple and it generally doesn't have a lot of finicky bits (last hitting) like other mobas.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 25, 2014

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The only Blizzard beta I got into was for Mists of Pandaria. I got to this part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DAFpwpLb1k and quit

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

:ssh: that's projection too

It's also stupid as poo poo. The argument for MMOs being "life surrogates" is based around the fact there exist people that use them as their only form of social interaction. I can guarantee to you that there is not a single loving person that plays mobas in order to interact with the other people in them.

1) i don't play any mmos or mobas, tried multiple times got bored as gently caress and don't play, so projection is kinda impossible
2) that isn't the argument at all, it's that people become 'good' at mmos and mobas instead of becoming good at something that is actually useful, be it, math, science, writing, music, whatever. the mentality becomes naw dawg u good @ dota, whatchu need to be good at that MATH poo poo for
3) you're trying to go all people playing do this poo poo which nobody anywhere has said ever. that said the entire reason the communities of mobas and mmos are known terrible by everyone everywhere ever is precisely because too many loving people try to do this bullshit while remaining the toxic manchildren they actually are

so basically you're wrong on all points but tell yourself whatever you need to get yourself to sleep at night duder. in summation taint reaper is a nurd

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Coolguye posted:

1) i don't play any mmos or mobas, tried multiple times got bored as gently caress and don't play, so projection is kinda impossible
2) that isn't the argument at all, it's that people become 'good' at mmos and mobas instead of becoming good at something that is actually useful, be it, math, science, writing, music, whatever. the mentality becomes naw dawg u good @ dota, whatchu need to be good at that MATH poo poo for
3) you're trying to go all people playing do this poo poo which nobody anywhere has said ever. that said the entire reason the communities of mobas and mmos are known terrible by everyone everywhere ever is precisely because too many loving people try to do this bullshit while remaining the toxic manchildren they actually are

so basically you're wrong on all points but tell yourself whatever you need to get yourself to sleep at night duder. in summation taint reaper is a nurd

1. The projection comes from you playing games in order to feel like you're accomplishing something, thus you assume everybody else does the same. Not from you playing those specific games.

2. Find somebody that says that. Even professional players do other poo poo and talk about what jobs they plan to do when that poo poo falls through.

You're making the assumption that other people think that, because it lets you disregard them entirely. You're projecting your own inadequacies of "I need to feel better than these people because x" on another group and using that projection as proof that you are correct.

3. That has nothing to do with what I said. You're talking about the "communities" as a whole, which implies everybody playing the game. You never mentioned anything about specific elements or some people, you keep saying "communites." So you basically said "I never said everybody playing this is terrible," then followed up with "This entire community is terrible."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

1. The projection comes from you playing games in order to feel like you're accomplishing something, thus you assume everybody else does the same. Not from you playing those specific games.

2. Find somebody that says that. Even professional players do other poo poo and talk about what jobs they plan to do when that poo poo falls through.

You're making the assumption that other people think that, because it lets you disregard them entirely. You're projecting your own inadequacies of "I need to feel better than these people because x" on another group and using that projection as proof that you are correct.

3. That has nothing to do with what I said. You're talking about the "communities" as a whole, which implies everybody playing the game. You never mentioned anything about specific elements or some people, you keep saying "communites." So you basically said "I never said everybody playing this is terrible," then followed up with "This entire community is terrible."

lol so basically your argument is 'WELL THAT'S ALL GAMING NURD'

mods this man is disrespecting gaming

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Coolguye posted:

No, my argument is that your argument is stupid bullshit. And you just proved that I'm correct.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

You're hosed in the head.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
SWTOR is better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

No, my argument is that your argument is stupid bullshit. And you just proved that I'm correct.

your argument has shifted in scope like 3 times as you've taken this more and more seriously (like you just did again) so your argument is actually nothing at all

Silver Striker posted:

You're hosed in the head.
tell your raid group all about it i'm sure they give a poo poo

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

your argument has shifted in scope like 3 times as you've taken this more and more seriously (like you just did again) so your argument is actually nothing at all

Return to Games, you fit in there.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Coolguye posted:

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Coolguye posted:

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Coolguye posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ForeverSmug posted:

Mobas are loving lovely, mmos are loving lovely, bitching about how people make fun of you for doing the video game equivalent of playing yugio at the back of the bus is extremely lovely

In a word, you're gay
Yu-Gi-Oh! is really good.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Coolguye posted:

"I don't care so I win lol"

you're a dipshit and this is a loving stupid slapfight

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Well I guess the ship with kind and friendly MOBA players has sunk.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well I guess the ship with kind and friendly MOBA players has sunk.

Nah, there's chill people that play them. They just don't talk in game.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh! is really good.

Actually yeah it's p.cool

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Me reading this thread

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Wow is good and this thread is dog poo poo

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Play Final Fantasy Fourteen: A Realm Reborn.

P sure I still have free gametime in that game for buying it at launch when it was a huge pile of poo poo, so bad even the company admitted it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Turtle Sandbox posted:

P sure I still have free gametime in that game for buying it at launch when it was a huge pile of poo poo, so bad even the company admitted it.

Some people think that the initial release is better than the current version.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

Some people think that the initial release is better than the current version.

Some people also feel that Hitler did nothing wrong.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Some people also feel that Hitler did nothing wrong.

We're describing the same people.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ff14 is really good but it could be better if it wasn't held back by having to run on ps3s. i hate how fragmented the game world feels. the consolized fail aids claim another.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

ff14 is really good but it could be better if it wasn't held back by having to run on ps3s. i hate how fragmented the game world feels. the consolized fail aids claim another.

If you want to see a game that suffered from an even more extreme version of console AIDS, check out FF11. They're still supporting the PS2 in Japan.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

With the game being out for like 12 years I wonder how much of the ps2 harddrive it takes up with all the expansions, it's gotta be up there at this point.

speaking of, it makes me kind of sad I never got to play it during its prime, my friends used to talk about it all the time back in the tail end of middle school/highschool but I was stuck on dial up so I couldn't play it, RIP. It sounded insanely cool. but the kind of game you can't really play these days, poo poo like losing xp/levels on death and stuff sounds insufferable.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

With the game being out for like 12 years I wonder how much of the ps2 harddrive it takes up with all the expansions, it's gotta be up there at this point.

speaking of, it makes me kind of sad I never got to play it during its prime, my friends used to talk about it all the time back in the tail end of middle school/highschool but I was stuck on dial up so I couldn't play it, RIP. It sounded insanely cool. but the kind of game you can't really play these days, poo poo like losing xp/levels on death and stuff sounds insufferable.

At it's prime it was an experience. Like you said it had a lot of awful poo poo but I remember feeling legitimately proud of my accomplishments and engrossed in the world in a way I haven't really felt since then.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ff14 is bad

wow is bad

all games that try to copy the core play of a bad game from over 10 years ago (everquest) are bad

this thread is bad

though ironically pso: blue burst was pretty good until you ran out of missions even though it was maximum console. the boss fights basically ruled all around and one of the primary reasons psu blew rear end was because there were like 10% as many boss fights

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hey guys what.... what if.... there were MMOs... but you didn't have to go through a bunch of bullshit to actually do the fun stuff with a bunch of people?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Extra posted:

Hey guys what.... what if.... there were MMOs... but you didn't have to go through a bunch of bullshit to actually do the fun stuff with a bunch of people?
One day...one day...

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i play wow but i can understand if someone is not into it. i got into it more once i stopped worrying about the endgame, and focused on setting goals for myself. mostly those goals are about getting certain mounts or title or cosmetic armor. blizzard did a good thing by making it easier to solo old content, letting you get the cool armor and weapons from those fights. plus you can see content you didn't get to do. i solo'd ulduar, which is like four years old but i never saw it and it was really cool. i would probably have nothing to do in the game if it weren't for transmogging, tbh.

while i like wow, i seriously think that blizzard should make a third person action game which is basically a single player wow. i think it would be cool to start out in northshire abbey or valley of trials and go through all the content, dungeons and raids tuned for a single person and with a combat system that isn't constrained by mmo standards or pvp nonsense. like dmc or bayonetta or something.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mr. Pumroy posted:

like dmc or bayonetta or something.

or starcraft: ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

beta tested lvl 100 shamanhere

• Locked thread