Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grimwit posted:

It may be me but isn't this the first time we hear Cash talk?
It sounds weird to me.

On that note, who does Cash's voice? It sounds kind of familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

malkav11 posted:

Man, you use guns way more than I can recall doing this early in the game. In fact, it felt like a real shift when guns got foregrounded with a subsequent gang (the next one? Can't remember.). ...that was also about the point where I stopped playing and never came back to the game.

Yeah there's an early-on gang where guns kind of become "a thing", maybe just to get you used to the idea. But you can use guns pretty freely on any chapter where they appear as long as you're smart about it, like only using guns on the last guy/two guys or taking a one-hit-kill pot shot and then running to the shadows.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

CzarChasm posted:

On that note, who does Cash's voice? It sounds kind of familiar.

Imdb lists Steven Wilfong as the voice of Cash, he has no other credits listed on the site. On the other hand, Cash has the least amount of dialogue in the game, I think there is only one other scene where he talks and I doubt he even breaks ten lines total.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I wonder how many bribes are getting paid out to keep this all quiet. I guess they're using largely dilapidated and unused areas, but somebody's got to suspect something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Glazius posted:

Man, I wonder how many bribes are getting paid out to keep this all quiet. I guess they're using largely dilapidated and unused areas, but somebody's got to suspect something.

It's funny that there are huge sections of the city where people have just strung up bodies all over the place, right out in the open. I guess part of our suspension of disbelief is that we're led to assume that if any cop were to investigate they'd disappear under mysterious circumstances.

Although, Cash seems to be doing a good job of single-handedly wiping out entire gangs. I don't know that any cop short of John McClane would've been able to do as well.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

King Vidiot posted:

It's funny that there are huge sections of the city where people have just strung up bodies all over the place, right out in the open. I guess part of our suspension of disbelief is that we're led to assume that if any cop were to investigate they'd disappear under mysterious circumstances.
The Carcer City police is entirely under Starkweather's control, is the answer.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
This game is technically in the Grand Theft Auto universe, so everybody is used to things like a city-wide blood sport slalom race just happening occasionally. This is a world where the police let mass murderers go free after taking their weapons and charging a small fine. Make you wonder what cash did to get the death penalty.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

This game is technically in the Grand Theft Auto universe, so everybody is used to things like a city-wide blood sport slalom race just happening occasionally. This is a world where the police let mass murderers go free after taking their weapons and charging a small fine. Make you wonder what cash did to get the death penalty.

Unpaid parking tickets

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Cash is the reason why there aren't any children in the GTA games, So really this game is him getting his just deserves.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 21, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Glazius posted:

The intro of the game looks like there's some reporter exposing what's been going on, so...

David D. Davidson posted:

Cash is the reason why there aren't any children in the GTA game . So really this game is him getting his just deserves.

Hey now, Bully takes place in the GTA universe, so we already know that all the kids get sent to boarding school.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Deathwind posted:

Unpaid parking tickets

MONSTER!!!! :argh:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

azren posted:

MONSTER!!!! :argh:

Could be worse. Could have been an overdue book at the library. Last time that happened the whole city block was leveled, the soil was salted and everyone who went there at any point in their lives was exterminated.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mr Tastee posted:

Hey now, Bully takes place in the GTA universe, so we already know that all the kids get sent to boarding school.

Some sick part of me wanted to believe that James Earl Cash was actually Jimmy Hopkins grown up, and Bully was a prequel to Manhunt. Jimmy... James... and all the Rockstar games "take place in the same universe" so there you go.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

View Of Innocence

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
The most violent belated Christmas present, yay!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

KennyMan666 posted:

The Carcer City police is entirely under Starkweather's control, is the answer.

Yeah, there's actually a radio thing in GTA3 to the effect of "The Mayor of Carcer City has been cleared of corruption charges. Let's hope those missing witnesses turn up safe and sound."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Man, the Innocentz, what a weird gang. I have absolutely no idea what their unifying "theme" is supposed to be apart from being creepy and having gross quasi-pedophile guys in baby masks.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

A lot of people hated the shift to gunplay in this scene but I actually liked it; this scene came at the exact point I was getting tired of the more sneaky executions. It may not be as fun as the core stealth gameplay, but in terms of pacing it does a great job of breaking things up. I could have done without the back and forth fetch quest and some of the enemy placement, especially the guys in the windows, are a bit of a dick move, but I still enjoyed the level.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

We just needed another confirmation that Starkweather is a grade S rear end in a top hat.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Oh hey, it's Manhunt! The only video game I ever played that I had to put down for a couple of days because playing it was making me feel dirty! I love this game so much. It's a really well-crafted experience... even if I'm not at all certain that I want to play it again.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Manhunt's kinda like Drakengard in a way: you want to experience it, but you probably don't want to play it for too long.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Manhunt's kinda like Drakengard in a way: you want to experience it, but you probably don't want to play it for too long.

They are both soul-crushing, yet compelling, games to play for different reasons. That seems like an apt comparison.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The last half of Manhunt is much more cathartic than Drakengard, in my experience.

My introduction to this game was the Zoo level with the family, so I originally thought the whole game was about trying to save other victims of Starkweather and his goons. That made this episode with the TV seem much more personal, I guess, because I felt like everything Cash had meant and been killing for was taken out from under him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really liked the shift to gunplay too. After a bunch of slow stalking, it was nice to just be able to headshot guys from across the room.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I liked the mix you get later. The gunplay gets fast and hilarious in some later sections, but also maddeningly challenging for a first time player in other parts.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Exactly what is the director going for this. Is it his way to ensure that Cash is dependent on him? I don't the really see the line of logic there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

He's still making a film, and he wanted to play with his protagonist's motivations. He started with simple survival, kicked it up with rescuing family, and is now shooting for revenge: I'm sure he hopes Cash's righteous wrath will make good viewing, and he's lined up the Innocentz as the object thereof.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lotish posted:

He's still making a film, and he wanted to play with his protagonist's motivations. He started with simple survival, kicked it up with rescuing family, and is now shooting for revenge: I'm sure he hopes Cash's righteous wrath will make good viewing, and he's lined up the Innocentz as the object thereof.

Pretty sure the dude killing Cash's family isn't one of the Innocentz, actually; he's part of a gang we haven't seen yet.

...I think. I could be wrong.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Also, I'm pretty sure Cash was supposed to be dead long before this point. Starkweather is changing things up because he is forced to do so.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The shift to gunplay in this level was where the game lost me. Don't get me wrong, I fully intended to go back to it later, and the guns aren't -bad-, exactly, they're just not Manhunt's strength. But then I lost my save file and I couldn't be arsed to replay to this point.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
In my case it was a pretty welcome change of pace. Manhunt's normal gameplay is so repetitive - lure enemy, hide in shadow, wait, kill enemy, repeat - that the change to gunplay came just as I was getting tired of it and wondering how much more there was going to be.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

Drunk Driving

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow. Level 3 execution with the sickle is surprisingly (in comparison to almost all other level 3 executions) tame.

Edit: OH GOD LEVEL 2 IS SO MUCH WORSE

Samovar fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 4, 2015

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Samovar posted:

Wow. Level 3 execution with the sickle is surprisingly (in comparison to almost all other level 3 executions) tame.

Edit: OH GOD LEVEL 2 IS SO MUCH WORSE

These were my thoughts exactly.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I've always kinda wondered what the cut content for this game looked like. This peek makes me even more curious. Will we be seeing more cut content?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Veyrall posted:

I've always kinda wondered what the cut content for this game looked like. This peek makes me even more curious. Will we be seeing more cut content?

Yes, I'll be going through the concept art and discussing what was cut and other curiosities at regular intervals for the rest of the LP.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Oh hey, Ca-UAGH

Level 2 sickle is still my favorite kill in the whole series and MH2 has some funny stuff, but they're too long for their own good.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Out of absolutely everything in the first game, the 2nd Sickle execution is the one that made me cringe the hardest. Even more so than the Quick Crowbar execution, and that one is already hard to look at.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Ooft, a sickle straight to the grundle. It's hard to think of anything worse. I'm just kind of glad the graphics are quite dated and overlaid with the 99th-generation VHS copy effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

TomViolence posted:

Ooft, a sickle straight to the grundle. It's hard to think of anything worse. I'm just kind of glad the graphics are quite dated and overlaid with the 99th-generation VHS copy effect.

It's funny that in Manhunt 2 the method they used to censor a lot of the kills was a VHS filter effect that made it so snowy and dark that it was nearly impossible to see what was happening.

• Locked thread