Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

It's funny that in Manhunt 2 the method they used to censor a lot of the kills was a VHS filter effect that made it so snowy and dark that it was nearly impossible to see what was happening.

But Manhunt 2 didn't have the excuse of the player being filmed, they only did it because the first one did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Manhunt 2 didn't make a great deal of sense any angle you looked at it from.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
I'm pretty sure Manhunt 2 just tinted the screen red and made everything really blurry as its method of censorship. Even the uncensored version just removed the blur effect, I don't recall any VHS static at all unless I'm just forgetting something huge.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
It's actually hard to find censored footage of Manhunt 2 now since who would bother uploading that garbage, but the primary method of censorship was to put a big opaque blood splotch over all the action of every single execution. Can't recall if there were any other filters or blurs on top of that, I was always too distracted by a third of the screen being completely red to notice.

EDIT: Okay, found some (terrible, low-res, mostly irrelevant) footage that contains the censored executions and there are indeed all kinds of crazy filters, probably meant to invoke the main character's break with reality but vaguely reminiscent of a ruined old VHS effect. See for yourself here (relevant footage begins at around 55 seconds).

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 8, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The Pickman Bridge is murder during rush hour, let me tell you.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Fiendly posted:

It's actually hard to find censored footage of Manhunt 2 now since who would bother uploading that garbage, but the primary method of censorship was to put a big opaque blood splotch over all the action of every single execution. Can't recall if there were any other filters or blurs on top of that, I was always too distracted by a third of the screen being completely red to notice.

EDIT: Okay, found some (terrible, low-res, mostly irrelevant) footage that contains the censored executions and there are indeed all kinds of crazy filters, probably meant to invoke the main character's break with reality but vaguely reminiscent of a ruined old VHS effect. See for yourself here (relevant footage begins at around 55 seconds).

The PC version of the game got even crazier and longer. Not only you could stop the shaky cam and the layers, it also got yourself these minigames too.

MH2, especially with the Jacob Ladder-esque (not complementing it here) story and the actually serviceable gunplay (Leo's path, anyone?) should've been called something else and just deviated a bit from the original MH formula which was simple stealth and mediocre gunplay.

That's just my opinion. Some might say it was the same thing but with with better controls and newer mechanics like the shadow focus and newer ways of killing people.

Pvt.Scott posted:

The Pickman Bridge is murder during rush hour, let me tell you.

Funny you should say that because that actually becomes a plot device in the sequel.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

Graveyard Shift

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I despise everything about this level. It starts with the mid to long range shotgun battles, with the randomness of the shotgun spread creating a very real possibility of running out of ammo mid firefight. The rafters with no cover forcing you to bum rush shotgun wielding enemies, and the final section of the level features enemies placed in the most dickish way possible. If you run out of revolver ammo before taking on the guys at the bottom of the stairs you may as well be screwed.

Everything about it just seems half baked. A few more pieces of cover here and there, a few less enemies, maybe an alternative to the shotgun, would go a long way to making this level a lot more tolerable.

On the plus side, rest of the game going forward is pretty great.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
This is the level which either makes or breaks the game for most people.

To this day, I refused to finish that level, but I might just go through this just so I can get the satisfaction of finishing this game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Every time I go back to playing Manhunt (it's one of those games you get an itch for every so often, though rarely for very long) I always forget that gun executions were only in the second game. I'm probably confusing it with The Punisher, which did the whole gunplay thing waaaay better.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Someone should LP The Punisher, since that was a drat great game in general.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, this and the next gunplay levelI remember a subway gun battle with cops? I believe are the ones that make me hate the gun levels in the game. We haven't quite gotten to where I gave up on the game yet. Maybe someday I'll go back to this.

Yeah, probably not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rotinaj posted:

Yeah, this and the next gunplay levelI remember a subway gun battle with cops? I believe are the ones that make me hate the gun levels in the game. We haven't quite gotten to where I gave up on the game yet. Maybe someday I'll go back to this.

Yeah, probably not.

I didn't mind this level so much and really liked the game as a whole, but fuuuuuuuuuuck the one in your spoiler god drat.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

Mouth Of Madness

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Maybe my favorite level, that. The Smileys unnerved me more than any other gang.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...
One interesting dynamic that I like about this game (that I don't think you've shown us yet) is that if you fail a scene while carrying around a severed head, when you reload, the head is in a plastic bag.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Maybe my favorite level, that. The Smileys unnerved me more than any other gang.

Yeah the whole Smileyz sequence is my highlight of the game, particularly Fug. Fug is the greatest :D

hexedangel posted:

One interesting dynamic that I like about this game (that I don't think you've shown us yet) is that if you fail a scene while carrying around a severed head, when you reload, the head is in a plastic bag.

Yeah that's weird, I don't know if there's something to read into that or if it's just a memory limitation. Probably the latter, the game likely just has no way of "recalling" which hunter's head you had on you when you died.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 18, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I like to imagine they really did call caterers for the asylum. Starkweather probably didn't know anything about it and the food showed up at the gates, driver all confused.

Seems like something that would happen in the GTA universe.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You know, I just thought of something that I wish they added to the Smileyz AI. It's sort of disappointing that the Smileyz pretty much follow the same rules as the other hunters, as in they methodically search areas where you make a noise but not many other places. I think the Smileyz should've had an AI routine where they hear noises or see things where there aren't any there. Like you're about to execute one and then he just flips out and runs screaming over to a random shadow as if he spotted you, or if one just randomly starts searching around even if you didn't do anything.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
It's funny, because while the Smileys are definitely my favourite gang, I got where the Innocentz got their name without any assistance.

Okay, the two themes are the dead, and babies, right? There's only two things that are truly "innocent": Babies (Who don't know things) and the dead (Who are way past the point of sin). Hence... Innocents.

King Vidiot does have a point, however, beyond a couple of scripted moments (The Fug and the door guy), they really don't appear to be crazy beyond their soundbites.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Honestly, when I hear them speak, all I can think of is Caboose from Red Vs. Blue.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Are we going to end this all out in the prison where it began?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Glazius posted:

Huh. Are we going to end this all out in the prison where it began?

That's actually a good question. The Manhunt wiki says Darkwoods is where Cash was administered his fake death sentence, but I'm not so sure. The intro cutscene explicitly says executions are performed by electric chair, and we passed what looked like a gas chamber, but there's no mention of lethal injection. Also, the place looks like it's been gang-infested and dilapidated for some time, not at all the kind of place that would have been up and running earlier that night. It's clearly a Starkweather base, so he could have set it up just for the execution show, but at that point where you're doing it has no purpose whatsoever. So I dunno, I don't think it's anywhere Cash has been before myself, but you never know...

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Fiendly posted:

That's actually a good question. The Manhunt wiki says Darkwoods is where Cash was administered his fake death sentence, but I'm not so sure. The intro cutscene explicitly says executions are performed by electric chair, and we passed what looked like a gas chamber, but there's no mention of lethal injection. Also, the place looks like it's been gang-infested and dilapidated for some time, not at all the kind of place that would have been up and running earlier that night. It's clearly a Starkweather base, so he could have set it up just for the execution show, but at that point where you're doing it has no purpose whatsoever. So I dunno, I don't think it's anywhere Cash has been before myself, but you never know...

Is it ever explicitly stated what Cash did to earn the lethal injection? I've always wondered if maybe Starkweather had Cash framed and set up to be executed so that he could use him in his snuff films. Maybe it's just video game logic, but why Cash? There's got to be other killers on death row who'd probably enjoy being the star of a snuff film more than Cash.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dariusknight posted:

Is it ever explicitly stated what Cash did to earn the lethal injection? I've always wondered if maybe Starkweather had Cash framed and set up to be executed so that he could use him in his snuff films. Maybe it's just video game logic, but why Cash? There's got to be other killers on death row who'd probably enjoy being the star of a snuff film more than Cash.

No, they just say he was sentenced to death, not even so much as a hint as to what it might be, if he was framed, if he deserved it, etc. Which, considering the intro is framed as a news report, always struck me as sloppy, since they never fail to mention the crime at some point.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

No, they just say he was sentenced to death, not even so much as a hint as to what it might be, if he was framed, if he deserved it, etc. Which, considering the intro is framed as a news report, always struck me as sloppy, since they never fail to mention the crime at some point.

Well given how brutal the executions are cash is clearly no stranger to murder. I think it's safe to say that Cash is guilty, but that's just my interpretation.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Although we'll never know all of Cash's history, I have information that will elucidate the nature of this issue somewhat. For a future video, of course.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Dariusknight posted:

Given how readily Cash takes to the killing and the few instances of dialogue we get from him, I can't see Cash being, in any way, innocent. We never really get any information about what he did to land in prison in the first place or why Starkweather chose him, but I always thought it was pretty clear from the get go that Cash was a killer long before the game started. It's one of the things I love about the game, it makes no concessions about its subject matter.

On the subject of the level itself, this is where the game starts to really shine. After so many levels of nothing but sneaky executions and levels of fast gunplay, now we get to have both. Yet there are things about this scene that just don't sit right with me. The first person you see is wearing a 1960s straight-jacket, strapped to an ECT device in a room that looks more like an execution chamber than any kind of treatment room. It strikes me as a strange attempt at conjuring up images of pre reform asylums, just because this is the level with the Smileys. The Smileys themselves, as mentioned, are functionally identical to any other gang, only now they have non stop "crazy" dialogue, it feels like such a missed opportunity.

I still think the game from this point on is fantastic but some things just bug me about this scene.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Finally got a chance to catch up on this thread after a couple months of RL crap, and admittedly kinda glad I got to zip through the Innocentz levels, because that non-stop gunfighting just didn't look that entertaining at all.

So, on the same subject about hunter AI, I think a couple of the different gangs so far should've been different from the standard script. I agree with King Vidiot's idea about the Smileyz being a lot more jumpy and freaking out about stuff that doesn't exist, definitely, but let's look at the Wardogs. Given their supposed military training background as a gang, it would've been neat to see them not immediately jump at every sound lure, or have them do actual methodical search patrols in groups where it's actually a far safer bet to avoid them entirely rather than do the usual pick them off one at a time. I know, video game logic and all that, but it would've been a neat AI quirk that would've made you have to actually think your way through them instead of them just being the next gang on the list.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The Wardogs thing is a fine idea, but I think somebody pointed out that they're meant to be like "LARPers" or those guys who are just really into paintball on the weekends. They're survivalists with no real military training, I think Starkweather even makes a comment to the effect that they've never seen a real war.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
"Weekend warriors" was one of the things Starkweather said about them, yeah. I think Ramirez might be the only legitimate military member of the bunch, but it'd probably be more off-putting if he wasn't either.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah. I figured that the most military training the War Dogs had was video games and when Buck "XxX360NoSCOPEZXxX" Colson was in the Air Force Reserve for a year. He even fired a gun!

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Adding to the ideas for gang backgrounds, the Innocentz are just the Latino Satanists and the Lenny-esque baby men are people who were rejected from the Smileys and were lumped in with the Innocentz because Starkweather couldn't really think of anything else to do with them. Additionally the Smileys who talk about catering really are just caterers hired by Starkweather who have only a vague idea of what's going on beyond "put on this mask and if you see a guy with a shaved head dressed in blue, try to murder him".

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

King Vidiot posted:

The Wardogs thing is a fine idea, but I think somebody pointed out that they're meant to be like "LARPers" or those guys who are just really into paintball on the weekends. They're survivalists with no real military training, I think Starkweather even makes a comment to the effect that they've never seen a real war.

The line was something to the effect of "None of these guys ever went to 'Nam, but you're sure bringing them a war", but not enough to suggest they weren't legit soldiers period. That said, he did call them dickless losers to start, so who knows. I guess it'd make sense if they were just wannabes, but it seems like an odd thing to not quite hint at while making them come across as a soldier gang.

Then again, the USS looking motherfuckers who keep throwing Cash out of vans clearly ARE soldiers of at least the mercenary persuasion, so I can see the difference they'd be going for in personalities.

Also, just to point this out for anyone who's been skipping the updated OP recently, but I like how the "catalog" is actually listing off stage names as the films.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 20, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if Cash will get to kill those soldiers that drag him everywhere.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Iron Chitlin posted:

On the subject of the level itself, this is where the game starts to really shine. After so many levels of nothing but sneaky executions and levels of fast gunplay, now we get to have both. Yet there are things about this scene that just don't sit right with me. The first person you see is wearing a 1960s straight-jacket, strapped to an ECT device in a room that looks more like an execution chamber than any kind of treatment room. It strikes me as a strange attempt at conjuring up images of pre reform asylums, just because this is the level with the Smileys.

Starkweather has prefabricated set pieces for Cash to stumble through before, so the stereotypical electroshock room might be there for the same reason

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

commieB posted:

Starkweather has prefabricated set pieces for Cash to stumble through before, so the stereotypical electroshock room might be there for the same reason

I figured it was there as part of another movie he was shooting. That, or Fug was extra good this week!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

Doing Time

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

How close to the end of the game are you? Seems like it has been going on for some time, but the story doesn't really provide a context for a middle/end part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
One minor nitpick on the Warriors stuff at the end: I didn't know about the Gacy reference but Chatterbox (the Hi-Hats warchief) gets his art gallery ruined, then he dies in an amusement park when he tries to invade Coney Island for revenge.

Otherwise I'm liking the LP and I'm learning things about games I've got a lot of experience with! :v:

• Locked thread