Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's always been Wankershiv!

I know the game got a lot of rap for being a murder simulator - which it absolutely is, there's really no getting around it - but it's also one of the tensest games I've ever played, which is pretty loving impressive. There's one stage in particular later on that's a great mix of tense and frantic. Problem is, when I played it, it was also prone to loving up and failing to respond to level triggers. Kinda hope it happens to Fiendly, actually.

Also it bugged me that they say that Cash was sentenced to death, but they pointedly refuse to say what it was for. I know that's an attempt to set up some moral ambiguity there, but it would've been so much better if the 'tape' containing that part had just been corrupted, blanking it out.

Niggurath posted:

I'm pretty excited for this since my only interaction with the series was playing the first half of the second game, getting confused and aggravated, then putting it down and having people tell me that the first Manhunt was apparently far and away the better of the two.

The second game is absolute garbage, plain and simple. And Leo, your cheerleader in the sequel, is nowhere near as engaging as our faceless friend here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fiendly posted:

I almost expected this LP to be a waste of people's time since the game's so infamous I assumed everything had been spoiled for everyone already, so it brings an evil grin to my heart (yes, I want you to envision that)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

LordPants posted:

Looking forward to this, saw it on sale on steam and bought it and I played like five minutes then the game crashed. And steam emailed me and said "We made a mistake and We can't legally sell this game to you so how do you want your refund"

Fuckin' Straya, mate.

Sef! posted:

I love Manhunt. To this day, I don't think there has been a game that has effectively conveyed such an overwhelming sense of dread. From the visual design, to Brian Cox's amazing narration, to the incredibly tight gameplay loop, it just sort of mires you in this sense of filth. And it feels dangerous; not only in terms of content, but also gameplay. Enemies basically have the same amount of health that you do. You're fragile, outnumbered, and have to rely on some pretty heinous poo poo to get through the game. It's really incredible how laser-focused the tone of it is.

Manhunt takes heavy inspiration from movies like Driller Killer, Maniac (the original) and so on. The whole thing's basically a sick love letter to the Video Nasty panic that swept the UK (Manhunt was developed by Rockstar North, based in Scotland) in the early to mid-80s. That Wiki page is well worth a read if you want an understanding of the inspirations for the game and the direction the developers went, by the way. The Video Nasty moral panic basically dictated the direction of movie releases in Britain for close on two decades, thanks to the introduction of the Video Recordings Act 1984. As a result, the only way to see any of these movies was on Nth generation VHS copies, usually heavily degraded (which led to the kind of visual corruption you see in the executions). It wasn't until 1999-2000 that films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Exorcist were allowed to be released over here, even in a cut form. That the game itself eventually fell pray to several bursts of outrage (including one where it was allegedly implicated in a murder, an implication eventually proven to be false) probably gave the developers a small sense of satisfaction.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think it's fair to say that if the idea exists, someone at some point has tried it. So the odds of someone having more money than scruples arranging to have a movie filmed going by the very textbook definition of a snuff movie just so they can say they have one? Vegas wouldn't give you a bet on those odds.

Fiendly posted:

Charlie Sheen is definitely an idiot, but in his defense, he apparently only watched part of the movie before deciding it was possibly a real snuff film and reporting it. Since it was intentionally made to appear as much like a snuff film as possible, there's probably at least a chunk of it that could convincingly pass as one if the viewer immediately turned it off in disgust upon seeing it. The dumber part is that the FBI was already investigating it as a possible snuff film and had presumably at least watched it in its entirety, and if I recall correctly, there's a part where a severed hand continues to flex its fingers, just like in the lovely and obviously fake exploitation film called Snuff. That alone shoulda been indicative of its authenticity...

They look silly now, but the effects were surprisingly convincing for their day and watching it on a poorly-copied VHS tape would only sell the authenticity. The directors of the Guinea Pig movies (the larger series to which FoFaB is a part of) were investigated by the police numerous times, mostly to prove that, no, they hadn't actually murdered anyone. There was one occasion, however where one of them dumped a load of furniture drenched in fake blood by the side of a river after a shoot (I want to say it was for Mermaid in a Manhole, but I may be wrong). The blood eventually washed into the river, turning it red downstream, which, after it was discovered, naturally caused a commotion. He ended up getting hit with a fine for illegal dumping and was told if he ever offended public decency like that again, he'd go straight to jail.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The fact that they're first shown wasted as hell probably helps matters no end.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Last time I played this, the gunmen would see me, take a potshot, bolt back to the family member, then get stuck on the geometry and spaz out, giving me an easy kill. That may vary for other players, however.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Manhunt's kinda like Drakengard in a way: you want to experience it, but you probably don't want to play it for too long.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Every time I go back to playing Manhunt (it's one of those games you get an itch for every so often, though rarely for very long) I always forget that gun executions were only in the second game. I'm probably confusing it with The Punisher, which did the whole gunplay thing waaaay better.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Honestly, when I hear them speak, all I can think of is Caboose from Red Vs. Blue.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dariusknight posted:

Is it ever explicitly stated what Cash did to earn the lethal injection? I've always wondered if maybe Starkweather had Cash framed and set up to be executed so that he could use him in his snuff films. Maybe it's just video game logic, but why Cash? There's got to be other killers on death row who'd probably enjoy being the star of a snuff film more than Cash.

No, they just say he was sentenced to death, not even so much as a hint as to what it might be, if he was framed, if he deserved it, etc. Which, considering the intro is framed as a news report, always struck me as sloppy, since they never fail to mention the crime at some point.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

commieB posted:

Starkweather has prefabricated set pieces for Cash to stumble through before, so the stereotypical electroshock room might be there for the same reason

I figured it was there as part of another movie he was shooting. That, or Fug was extra good this week!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'll admit it: it took me a second to realise that when Starkweather said 'funky rear end', he meant as in 'bad smelling'. Pity, I was hoping for some executions involving a disco ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That reporter sounds familiar. Is that White Debbie from Sealab 2021?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I just figured "gently caress these guys, they're all in Starkweather's pocket" and murdered them with abandon, personally. I don't know what that says about me.

That you'd get along well with Shaefer, presumably. Either of them.

• Locked thread