Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theologian
May 11, 2003

Gary Wintleson, I blow smoke upon you.
I'm posting in this forum as opposed to Inspect Your Gadgets because I feel like this might be a better fit here, but if it isn't, please move it over there if it's a problem.

I have a pretty decent surround sound system and keeping it plugged into my laptop via HDMI is getting a little annoying with the whole cord being attached and all coupled with the need to move with my laptop around my apartment. It sucks when I need to move away from the system with my laptop and I'm limited to 10 foot of tense cord. I'm trying to find a way around this. I've see some "wireless HDMI," peripherals like this one http://amzn.com/B009E6R89C but they're really pricey from what I'm seeing. That's pretty much what I need but I'm wondering if there are alternatives or simpler solutions. I don't really care about streaming the video portion, but that would definitely be a plus.

I'd ideally like to stream my laptop's audio to my surround sound system wirelessly. I was looking into Chromecast, but I don't think there's a way to output all of my computer's audio to that. What are my options for doing this without shelling out $200 and having something clunky attached to my laptop? I'd be willing to drop $100 or so on it though.

Thanks for any and all help!

theologian fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theologian
May 11, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I believe Apple TVs are capable of streaming lossless audio.

Are they capable of simply receiving all of my computer's audio output? From system sounds to whatever I have playing on whatever application? From what I'm reading it sounds like it's pretty heavily reliant on iTunes.

theologian
May 11, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

What's the exact model of the receiver, and does your laptop have Bluetooth? There are about a half dozen ways to go about this, many of them cheaper than a wireless HDMI transceiver. Also, are you willing to do a little DIY effort, like setting up a Raspberry Pi?

I'm not near my system at the moment so I don't know the exact model. I know it doesn't have bluetooth though. My laptop however, does have bluetooth. And yeah definitely into DIY stuff, Pi's have been something on my radar for a while, just never had any solid ideas for putting one to use to jump on one.

• Locked thread