Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
God is Gwen hot! I mean, oh, my God!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, even if you don't like him you can't possibly argue Steve episodes strike out as much as Meg episodes.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Nichael posted:

That subplot was classic American Dad. Roger's wordless shock at the episode being deleted was great, and then I loved that the only bit of dialogue from Bones we heard was "And I am Dr. Brennan, the guardian of all bones everywhere."

Yet another grisly death on the show. In a lot of shows, I don't really find graphic violence that funny, but American Dad always does it well. I even laughed at the incredibly grotesque skinless Jeff in the bathtub from a few years back.

I can take all of it but acid burned Francine.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Nichael posted:

That was pretty awful, but I think the only thing I couldn't tolerate on this show was Stan's Frankenstein of a dog after it was smashed by the pirate cats.

Okay, yeah that too. I skip past that episode in rewatch after laughing my rear end off at the pirate cats.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

It's totally gonna be Roger.

He's just the secretary.

(Associate)

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

How to Use You're and Your

Mistaking "you're" for "your" - or vice versa - is a common writing error most people have made at least once. It is also a grammatical mistake that can be disproportionately irritating and confusing for the reader. Fortunately, once you know how to differentiate the two, you'll hardly ever mix them up ever again.

1. Understand the proper usage of the word you need. The best way to do that is to sound it out. There is a replacement test that will tell you for certain which word will fit. Read the sentence with you are in place of where the your/you're is intended. If it makes sense, then you're would be right. If not, then your would fit. You could also replace your with my in the sentence. If it fits, then use your.

2. Create a mnemonic to help you distinguish between the words. A mnemonic is a device that helps you remember something. You may find a mnemonic helpful when remembering the difference between you're and your. Elements such as parallelism and vivid imagery are usually effective mnemonic tools.

Consider the sentence "If you're writing it you're, you're writing it right." You are doing something when you write, and thus the contraction you're is correct.
You could also try something like the sentence "Your Outraged Unicorns Race," where the first letter of each word spells out the correct usage. Because the unicorns belong to you, they're your unicorns.

3. Write you're as a contraction or a combination of the words you and are. Other examples of contractions include doesn't for does not, they're for they are, and can't for cannot.

"You're a good friend" means "You are a good friend."
"I don't know what you're talking about" means "I do not know what you are talking about."

4. Remember that you're is actually a combination of two words. It thus fulfills two very important roles in a sentence or clause. Because it includes both a pronoun and a verb, you're will always be the subject and at least part of the verb of any clause in which it appears.

5. Write your as the possessive form of you. The possessive form refers to something that a person has, something that belongs to the person in question, or the person you are talking to. Your reflects ownership, as in "yours, mine, and ours".

"Is your stomach growling?"
"Your book is on the table."

6. Remember that the word your will usually not be followed by an adjective. In most cases, your will not be followed by an adjective (a word that describes something) when that adjective is describing the person that you are talking to.

In other words, saying "Your very kind" will almost never be correct. "Your very kind" would only be correct if someone were describing a noun, as in "Your nice son brought me my coat." Here, your nice is correct because nice is describing the person's son.

7. Take a look at some examples. Each of the following examples shows an incorrect use of your/you're, and why it is incorrect.

"I can't read you're handwriting."
Incorrect, because the contraction for you are is being used in place of the possessive form of you. "I can't read you are handwriting"' doesn't make sense. It should be replaced with your.

"If your hungry, then you should probably eat something."
Incorrect because there is no possession in question. You can be hungry, but in English you don't possess hunger. This passes the replacement test. Rewriting it with you are fits. Your should be replaced here with you're, or you are.

"I think your very smart."
Again, incorrect. The "very smart" does not belong to the person that you are talking to — this doesn't make any sense. Replace your with you're, or you are.

"I'm smarter than you're"
Correct, because the contraction for you are has been used in place of the possessive form of you. However, this unconventional usage is likely to confuse people, so avoid ending a sentence with you're even if it's grammatically correct.

Wow, now he's gonna need this:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

The episode where Trump would show up whenever somebody said "You're fired" was the most FG-ish.

What episode is that?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, it's irritating because when you have a character like Roger you can usually fit a lot of square pegs into round holes...but not this time.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The last of Futurama was like fan fiction. Mostly bad, sometimes surprisingly good, but never quite right. I'm worried American Dad is trending in the same direction.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Nice of Fox to still be cross promoting American Dad!

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

It wasn't a bad episode of American Dad, though it could have blown me away a little more after such a long break. Loved the layers of Roger involvement in the asphalt industry up to being the mother of two twin boys, one of whom is Roger.

(Roger/Jeannie Gold: Stan, these are my sons, Alex and Ron. They're in Columbia Film School.
Stan: How is that possible?
Roger/Jeannie Gold: I know. I look too young to have kids in college.
Stan: No, that you have children when your persona is completely fabricated...
Roger/Jeannie Gold: We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.
Stan: That is an unsatisfying answer.)

They really, really need to kill the cold opens though. There is no way to make it not feel awkwardly Family Guy to try and do a quick punchline like that.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 26, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

More PETA propaganda from MacFarlane, heh.

I love when Klaus and Haley both get a lot of time in an episode, the chemistry there tends to be good and it's hard to otherwise find good spots for Klaus.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Thinking John From Cincinnati is the best HBO show is way worse than supporting the Axis.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Oh good, I'm just his secretary.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

This was pretty much perfect. There have been more episodes of American Dad than any other show where I think, "If this was the series finale, I would be satisfied with it."

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Roger's stunned silence turning into a job at the café was fantastic.

I thought they couldn't make the cold opens work, I was wrong.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, I was gonna be pissed if they didn't do the flood somehow. Never been happier to see something is a two parter. This whole episode was excellent.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah continuity is almost nonexistent in American Dad these days, which I'll admit is one of the things I really don't like about most "Adult" animation these days, less about callbacks to older episodes(although those are nice) and more cause it leads them to repeatedly reusing plots till they become unbearable to watch be used again

To give an example of this, they've done the "Steve tries to date/have sex with a girl but blows it in the end" plot almost 40 times now(a guy on /co/ made a chart about it, I'll see if I can find it), and it's gotten really stale by now cause we know how it's going to end(and good joke writing only goes so far, and American Dad has been overall more miss than hit in that area for a long time now)

Yeah, I agree it's the most annoying thing about this genre. I wouldn't want it to suddenly change for AD or anything, but I would love to see animated sitcoms in the future that actually age characters. You don't have to do it year by year, but like eventually for the sake of shaking up the stories.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Most of the other times they do it are fine, that specific time just came off as the writers being smartasses and not in a funny way

Glad to see someone else agrees, and honestly American Dad would be improved by a time skip, cause most of the plots they use Steve for these days would work better if he was 18 or older(same with Chris on Family Guy on the rare occasion they actually give him plot relevance anymore), and him being a High School student at all only has relevance still at this point cause the writers love Principal Louis

Honestly it just shows that for most Adult Animation shows, characters under the age of 18 cause more problems for the writing than they solve(Bob's Burgers and South Park are exceptions to this)

I think Bob's is going to run into the same problems eventually. It's just still too fresh for it to matter. South Park did advance the kids a grade once at least!

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, free Klaus. They essentially had to free Roger from the original idea too and he became (imo) the best part of the show.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

This entire episode was fantastic. Was this a never aired Christmas episode or was that all just a joke?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Have you seen the last two seasons of south park?

Still in 4th grade though.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Still being able to add stuff that is strong enough to reoccur is a good sign for the long term health of the show. When was the last time The Simpsons did that? TBS is the greatest network ever. I love TBS.

What else do I need to do to convince TBS to support this show forever? I will do it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Nope, he was Hillary.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

It's not like it's a huge tragedy. Family Guy is really funny IMO, but it wasn't a cultural touchstone like The Simpsons. The Simpsons fell much further from it's heights so it's a lot more frustrating what it became.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I hope they do more Roger/Jeff shenanigans. Untapped comedic resource right there.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

BETTER LAWYER UP, PELICANS!

Klaus comes out on top for once, nice.

Quality episode.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I think I missed something because I have no idea what you are talking about. I was alt-tabbed for a bit. If Roger set up the winner to be screwed this episode is even better.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Im watching the episode where Stan is addicted to crack and when he is talking during the intervention he mentions that "It's super fun to walk around high in a wig" and Roger's look of genuine pride made me laugh extremely outloud and was definitely the highest point of my day.

It's not just that it's hilarious, but that it makes you feel like the writers love this show just as much as you do. Family Guy just feels churned out in comparison.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 8, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I found the clip to be shallow and pedantic.

Me upon hearing the news of two more seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgqLpMy6pj8&t=33s

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 13, 2018

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

And then you have Camp Refoogee to open season 2 and the potential of Roger's personas is fully unleashed. The show does actually find it's stride a lot sooner than people usually seem to think.

Most of season 1 is not nearly as bad as people say either. A lot of things that make the show great are already there pretty soon after the pilot, it's just Roger who isn't yet.

Even then there are some classic Roger episodes: http://americandad.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek

^ episode 8.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 1, 2018

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Zero One posted:

Loved the guy who may or may not have been Roger.

Yeah, this episode was hit or miss but that was incredible.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I loved the pasta sauce plot, felt like it was mocking food commercials that oversell the authenticity and greatness of the product while at the same time tossing in some fun mafia movie spoof stuff. Could have used a little more payoff than Steve's "What the hell is in that sauce?" but overall I loved it. Lost it when the Italian flag was on the flag pole.

The egg plot was classic Steve and Roger zany buddy comedy stuff. Not quite on like Wheels and the Legman tier but overall hilarious. This is an episode I will look forward to in my endless streaming marathons, if TBS ever lets the later seasons be a part of them.

They really are getting a much better handle on the cold opens. Loved Rogers, "Birds, Steve," after the Russian satellite blimp disaster.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Also loved the NewEdgierAmericanDad® "You rear end in a top hat!" as everyone and everything is going over the edge.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yup, there is no way that could not be good.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Holy poo poo that mural ep was great. Francine's blasé scenes in the car and basement killed me.

And in the hospital.

"Mrs. Smith, if you don't mind, I need to recatherize your daughter's penis."

"Sure, sure, whatever."

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

More seasons finally coming to Hulu. Great news.

https://www.reddit.com/r/americandad/comments/84ohff/screen_shot_from_hulu_app_for_american_dad/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The thing is, when they DON'T run long, something like an NFL game is one of the best lead ins there is. The slot can be a ratings benefit.