Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sammus posted:

Me too, that was a great, unexpected moment. Does anyone else find their newfound ability to use "poo poo" a little jarring? Its just weird after 9 years to hear them start saying it.

Also heard a "Goddamn" from Francine this episode. I do prefer the bleeps on TV, but love the uncensored DVDs, even in the earlier seasons. "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON?!"

smashpro1 posted:

Isn't there still an insane backlog of episodes?

As far as I know, the only remaining backlog episodes were the three shown on FOX at the beginning of this season, which is why they aired on FOX. Contractual obligation or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yeah, or any episode with Wheels & the Legman or With Friends Like Steve's (unmedicated Barry is an evil mastermind voiced by Craig Ferguson) or Boyz 12 or Bar Mitzvah Hustle or Escape from Pearl Bailey (awesome The Warriors homage) or Bully for Steve (STELIO KONTOS) or Why Can't We Be Friends? where Steve and Snot air guitar to Joe Satriani or... I could keep going.

The point is look how wrong Irish Joe is.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I like how TBS is all hype like "Hey! You miss American Dad on Fox and think they did the wrong thing by canceling it?! Well it's back on TBS, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!" ad nauseam every commercial break at beginning of the current television season.

Then show like three episodes so far.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Well, that certainly was... something, wasn't it?

... What the hell was that exactly?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The_Doctor posted:

That was Peter in the FG episode 'Baby Not on Board'.

You gotta love Roger as Roy Rogers McFreely doing a monologue/impersonation of Clarice Starling's speech to Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs, though.

"You see a lot, Doctor, but are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at yourself? What about it? Why don't you? Why don't you look at yourself and write down what you see? Or maybe you're afraid to."

*motion-sensor light goes out*

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Everyone always mentions My Morning Straightjacket as being the worst episode ever, but I thought it was alright. Had a pretty solid plot, awesome visuals when Stan dreams, Zach Galifianakis as Norman, an Almost Famous parody, a glimpse into Francine's past, and was just well-rounded. Yeah, it's a weird vehicle to whore a band out to since one of the writers wanted it, but it's not as bad as the Internet says it is. "Spider say BURP!"

Then again, I also think Blood Crieth Unto Heaven was just unnecessarily dumb and boring while the Internet raves about it. Oh, goody, a straightforward homage (parody?) to August: Osage County presented at a local community theater level. How exciting :geno:

But yes, American Fung was loving dumb and terrible as all hell.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's amazing how they turned a naturally funny guy like Craig Ferguson into the worst character on the worst episode, but yup.

And then he did one of the best voice acting gigs on American Dad as Evil Barry in "With Friends Like Steve's."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvFf5oPL1g0

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncldm_ZM3oY

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I loved :airquote:James Hetfield:airquote: not being :airquote:James Hetfield:airquote:. Dude was pretty great at the voice acting.

I just love how AD always has these guest stars that play ordinary characters instead of themselves. It's part of the charm of the show.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Any episode with Detective Turlington is gold, and it goes right back to what I said earlier about celebrities playing ordinary people; in this case, it's Forest Whitaker.

"Mama? If you can hear me, Mama? It's Daniel. I WANT THAT SANDWICH!"

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 6, 2016

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I feel sorry for the goons who said they're done with the show for the premiere (which indeed sucked), because these past two episodes could have been part of a classic season without anyone knowing or asking.

Great episode.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was that whole sequence in the car at the end a reference to something? I felt like I was missing part of the joke.

It was just a callback to the earlier sequence of them in the car full of optimism and eagerness for Roger to meet Dylan.

Then Roger met Dylan :unsmigghh:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

American Dad's always had some great art shifts when the time or reason calls for it. Dungeons and Wagons had a pretty cool one for the b-plot with Steve and Jeff and MMORPGs way back in the early seasons.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was watching some old TV opening credits on Youtube and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgulXRSMjqk

Had to look this one up because I do not remember it at all (and I watched a ton of now forgotten TV originally in the 80s):

quote:

Together We Stand, also known as Nothing Is Easy, is an American television series that aired on the CBS network from 1986 to 1987. It was written by Stephen Sustarsic and directed by Andrew D. Weyman.

Together We Stand is about a married couple, David (Elliott Gould) and Lori Randall (Dee Wallace), and their array of adopted children from all walks of life. According to producer Sherwood Schwartz, the plot for this show was originally written as a spin-off from The Brady Bunch called Kelly's Kids. In the January 4, 1974 episode of The Brady Bunch (also titled "Kelly's Kids"; Season 5, Episode 13), which served as a backdoor pilot, the Bradys' neighbors plan on adopting one child but end up adopting three boys, all of different ethnicities.

The series was pulled by CBS after six episodes. The show returned three months later with a new title (Nothing Is Easy), new opening credits, a new theme song, and a new cast member (Julia Migenes as bitter, divorced neighbor Marion Simmons). Elliott Gould did not appear in the revamped series; his character was killed off in an automobile accident, and Dee Wallace-Stone continued on as the family's single mother. The revamp lasted only a couple more episodes.

And I've gotta say it: Although I think this episode was pretty great (both A and B plot), I really hope this is the end of Scott Grimes singing R&B music for no reason at all :can: It's cute and fun in short non-sequitur bursts, but it's one of those things that the Internet latched on to like Principal Lewis being a psychopath, and the writers went with it and gave him full reign to appear whenever and wherever to slap someone and say "[NOUN], BITCHES!!" without any reason for him to be there in the first place. I feel the same way about Steve's singing.

It worked in the hot tub and Krampus episodes because those were musicals, and I liked the time he said "I'm gonna see if they got any R&B on the jukebox in this bitch." and then is seen later singing LSG's "My Body" to a group of women, but by the rubbernecking episode (which was also a musical that didn't need to be a musical), it was wearing a little thin. I hope they put it to rest for a while.

Then I think back to Steve's rendition of The Star Spangled Banner in "In Country Club," and I giggle a little. "That's my..... neighbor's son."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Gonz posted:

My favorite line of his will always be:

I like this one (forgive the lovely audio):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzQ2BUKDq5Q

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't recognize a single one of those bands. I guess that's the point.

Makin' me feel old :corsair: Although I didn't listen to too much alternative music in high school, I had friends that did and I recognize all of those bands. Must've been MTV, too (you know, when they actually dealt with music). They even got Dan Wilson of Semisonic to step into the recording booth to say "Hey, man, we're trying to play Closing Time" before his head exploded.

I think the '90s band B-plot was a tie-in to the A-plot since there was a lot of witch-related media in the '90s (Sabrina, Charmed, Practical Magic, Blair Witch, Hocus Pocus, etc.) and The Craft, which is what the majority of the plot was based on. Really loved this episode. Felt like a classic episode, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Nastier Nate posted:

My Morning Straight Jacket is my least favorite.

It's like one of the writer's wanted an excuse to jerk off about his favorite band for 22 minutes. Alot of AD plots feel forced but they make it up for it by being funny, not this one.

Some positives about this episode: Jim James was a really good voice actor, and Zach Galifianakis as one-shot character Norman.

"I'm crouched down in the shower, so uh... the farts are kinda slipping out."

But yeah, this is a weird episode that really didn't need to be made.