Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
AD has always had really good internal consistency even after massive staff changes, so I'd count on it.

Still can't watch AD legally since the switch since the worthless TBS affiliate my cable provider gets doesn't show it, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

bull3964 posted:

You don't get cartoon network either?
No!!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Finally caught up with the TBS season just now and man, no one was underselling the badness of "American Fung". Absolutely no concept AD has ever tried has struck out so utterly. Nothing about it worked, it was just a hackneyed high concept flailing spraying flop sweat everywhere.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Futurama's return series produced a handful of the very best episodes of the entire series, that's a truly terrible simile.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I haven't seen any of the new season except 'The 200', but what a place to start. One of the best mass callbacks any animated show has ever assembled. I was gnawing my own teeth in anticipation of Ricky Spanish and it exceeded expectations in delivery

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I still haven't seen the first half of the new season but James Hetfield did a good job in his inexplicable guest performance and that was probably the most expensive sound licensing AD's had, likely proffered at a friendly discount

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the new episode was cool

I love that the b-story was based on a Weird Al song
lmao, what a drat shame.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Party Plane Jones posted:

Steve's singing is one of the best parts of American Dad's musical numbers. :psyduck:

Really I'd only put Scott Grimes as second to the MacFarlanes in vocal talent.
What? Grimes is way, way better with his R&B range than MacFarlane's wannabe crooner schtick. His sister is closer to a talent match though, haha

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

'Joint Custody' still reigns, but there's a wonderful 30 deep list of all-timers by now.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The Nastier Nate posted:

The best American Dad song and its not even close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbzHrhRJBHo
V-V-V-V-VICTORRRR

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"...You don't have a husband."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

AD is a joke-driven show, and there's like 6 skeletal A-plots they hang episodes on. Stan & Francine need to spice up their marriage / Stan needs to stop taking Francine for granted during a crazy hobby / Stan tries some crazy CIA device / Steve wants to touch boobs or become a man / Haley and or Jeff Tries to do something / Roger has a Huge Rube Goldberg Scheme

All the great animated shows boil down to this when they pass the S6 mark. The biggest offender is actually The Simpsons due to sheer quantity, but they're seriously up to 8th generation cannibalizations of classic episode stories.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I'd definitely slot most of those into the class of "Experimental Fantasy Episodes" wherein something insane happens using the characters and it's above and beyond the canon of AD's standard disregard for continuity, like 'Tearjerker', 'Hot Water', 'Blood Crieth Unto Heaven', the B-story of 'Ricky Spanish' (Tungee), etc.

The Halloween/Christmas episodes are like this but in their own festive category!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

AD's Years-apart 4th wall callbacks are some of the most perfect moments in the show's arsenal and I can't even fathom an individual joyless enough to claim they're somehow "obnoxious". That doesn't even make sense, rofl

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 10, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This entire episode was fantastic. Was this a never aired Christmas episode or was that all just a joke?
It was an incredible 4th wall seed about how they never get to air their Xmas episodes on time so they didn't even try to this season.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's a show called Teenage Newlyweds that's airing at the moment, and if they ever need to make a live action episode one of the guys is definitely a contender for Steve.

Also next week appears to be the season finale, so hopefully will be insane.
the "fyi" channel? holy poo poo, lmao

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I was disappointed that the brief 'Goodfellas' narration gag was in the hands of an inexperienced writer ill-equipped to make a sweet self-deprecating 4th wall joke about it, because any longtime Dadder would know it was the entire framing device of S3's "Meter Made"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Great that AD is back. I want to shout out its continued consistency in production, even with the channel changeover there's been no perceptible loss of quality in animation or sound. The scene where Francine takes a reluctant Stan to the vegan restaurant and he reacts with the disingenuous "Yaaaaaye" is one of the funniest nuanced face gags I've ever seen in an animated comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

If you ever check the credits closely you'll notice that AD has an very high success rate with recruiting all its celebrity cameo voicework. And not even just when people are "playing themselves" the standard non-Smith core cast episode averages like 2-3 special guests of note who throw in a few lines