Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Oh yeah, I like how Carlito apparently had the ability to just make people immune to zombification? Like, it took Isabella using Frank's naturally resistant blood to discover how to make the weaker version of Zombrex but apparently Carlito was able to just whip up 100% immunity out of thin air at the very beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Garrand posted:

Oh yeah, I like how Carlito apparently had the ability to just make people immune to zombification? Like, it took Isabella using Frank's naturally resistant blood to discover how to make the weaker version of Zombrex but apparently Carlito was able to just whip up 100% immunity out of thin air at the very beginning?
Eh, I was expecting the reveal to be that Isabella was his mom or something.

And I mean, it makes thematic sense for the man who 'creates' the plague to be able to cure it too, even if logically it doesn't.

If you're going to go about thinking about the series logically, you aren't going to get very far really,

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Eh, I was expecting the reveal to be that Isabella was his mom or something.

And I mean, it makes thematic sense for the man who 'creates' the plague to be able to cure it too, even if logically it doesn't.

If you're going to go about thinking about the series logically, you aren't going to get very far really,

It's been a while since I've seen DR1, but I don't think Carlito was ever actually involved with the creation of the zombie bees; he was just part of the village that had been massacred to cover up the US's fuckup. So he decided to take those same bees and created the breakout that was the Willamette incident. I really don't remember what Carlito's and Isabella's backstories are apart from that though.

It's not that I'm expecting a particularly logical explanation. I just feel that this one is particularly half-assed and leaves a bad taste in my mouth and that this is just a dumb way to try and make Carlito seem a little less monstrous. I honestly would have preferred a 'this particular orphan just HAPPENED to be immune to zombification' than what the actual one is. Sometimes no explanation is better than a bad one.

edit: I guess according to the wiki Isabela had created a suppressant before and that's what Carlito had used on the orphans after infecting them. Still doesn't explain immunity, but whatever. It's all dumb.

Looking forward to the next update!

Garrand fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 11, 2015

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Ahahahaha you cut the video right before the good part.

I actually totally spoiled this whole sequence because pretty much the first thing I did when I played the game was use the dev tools to warp to all the boss fights.

Also, if you need an extra commentator for a wrap up video or something...

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Maaaan, if anyone familiar with this series didn't know what was going on with Annie then they definitely do after Frenzy's comments in this video. Can't wait for the next one!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I was expecting Gary to double-crossed you, but didn't expect that resolution to it. It's actually nice you can do that for a turn-coat character... But then they do it with Red, which kinda plays into the whole cliché of being betrayed in games, unfortunately.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Garrand posted:

Carlito likely had time to plan and resources to stabilize the compound which explains why Nick is immune. Isabella McGuyvered up a Zombrex from ketchup and vinegar that would keep Frank on his feet for a while in DR1. After DR1, Phenotrans comes in and goes "You know what would be great? If people had to pay out the rear end EVERY DAY for this."

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Carlito likely had time to plan and resources to stabilize the compound which explains why Nick is immune. Isabella McGuyvered up a Zombrex from ketchup and vinegar that would keep Frank on his feet for a while in DR1. After DR1, Phenotrans comes in and goes "You know what would be great? If people had to pay out the rear end EVERY DAY for this."

Yeah, but although Phenotrans were happy to sell the weak stuff to normal people, this game says that they actually weren't able to discover the proper cure themselves, despite the CEO wanting it for herself. Since she's had twenty years, uncountable dollars in profit to fund the research with, and Isabela herself as a researcher for much of the time, it's unlikely that Phenotrans wouldn't have the same breakthrough Carlito had.

I figured it was more accidental than that. Maybe Carlito dosed them all up, tattooed them, then did a final check to see how the little time bombs were maturing and saw that Nick's ones had all died off. He didn't want to actually kill an innocent kid himself, so Nick got to live. The way DR3 does it is way dumber.

It does get bonus points for Rhonda's psychic flamethrower arm, though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Samovar posted:

I was expecting Gary to double-crossed you, but didn't expect that resolution to it. It's actually nice you can do that for a turn-coat character... But then they do it with Red, which kinda plays into the whole cliché of being betrayed in games, unfortunately.

I didn't expect Red or Gary to go the way they did. Part of that is the videos coming out over the course of months though.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Procrastinator posted:

Ahahahaha you cut the video right before the good part.

I actually totally spoiled this whole sequence because pretty much the first thing I did when I played the game was use the dev tools to warp to all the boss fights.

Also, if you need an extra commentator for a wrap up video or something...

You bet I did. It'll make the next video much better. Although I'm kind of a jerk because I'm going on vacation tomorrow and it might be two weeks before you get that next video.

Also, it'd actually be really cool to get you in on a video but all I really have left is "poo poo I missed", "loving with bosses and cutscenes", and then the final DLC. Feel free to send me an email at my username at gmail, but again, vacation.

quote:

Carlito

You know, it never really crossed my mind how ridiculous it is that he had a cure and nobody else could figure it out even given decades.

Golden Bee posted:

I didn't expect Red or Gary to go the way they did. Part of that is the videos coming out over the course of months though.

This is a fair point. I've somehow managed to take a year to tell a story that's 7 days long.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

To be perfectly honest, I saw Red betraying them a mile away. Gary and Rhonda getting a happy ending is great though, I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Annie being like 17 is kind of weird, they could have just made her a bit older and it wouldn't be nearly as awkward. Why even make her that young in the first place anyway?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SaffronKit posted:

To be perfectly honest, I saw Red betraying them a mile away. Gary and Rhonda getting a happy ending is great though, I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Annie being like 17 is kind of weird, they could have just made her a bit older and it wouldn't be nearly as awkward. Why even make her that young in the first place anyway?

There's a reason for that. That's all I'm going to say.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He asked for an extra day and it's a Dead Rising game. I'm sure we're going into Overtime now. The game pretty obviously isn't actually over.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

SaffronKit posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say the same reason that Japan puts out a shitload of anime with unrealistically young female characters.

Or was DR3 made by a North American studio? If so, then I'm not sure, but it is probably equally as creepy.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

You know, it never really crossed my mind how ridiculous it is that he had a cure and nobody else could figure it out even given decades..

It's not necessarily ridiculous! After all, the cure for scurvy was discovered and lost several times in the span of a couple centuries.

http://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Coffeehitler posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say the same reason that Japan puts out a shitload of anime with unrealistically young female characters.

Or was DR3 made by a North American studio? If so, then I'm not sure, but it is probably equally as creepy.

Dead Rising 2 and 3 were made Capcom Vancouver, formerly Blue Castle Games, and again, there is a reason she is so young, and it's not for anime girl reasons either, you'll have to keep watching to find out.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Edminster posted:

After all, the cure for scurvy was discovered and lost several times in the span of a couple centuries.

How do you lose 'lemons and limes in our drinks' multiple times over the span of centuries?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Jade Star posted:

How do you lose 'lemons and limes in our drinks' multiple times over the span of centuries?

Read the link

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I guess I look forward to what terrible reason they came up with to make Annie that young.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Oh, also Family Reunions are cute and I'm glad those two were able to find each other again. :3:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

SaffronKit posted:

I guess I look forward to what terrible reason they came up with to make Annie that young.

I'm assuming Annie is Katey from DR2; she's 5-6 years old then, and DR3 is about 10-15 years after DR2, so the age gap is about right. It would explain why she can so casually drop a shipping container on a psycho (she learned from the best), although I would have expected Katey to be a pro at weapon combos by this point and Annie hasn't shown any sign of that.

If so, they should've just set the game a year later so that she could be eighteen.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

WFGuy posted:

I'm assuming Annie is Katey from DR2;
I'm voting for Annie being a clone of Nick made a few years later and thanks to the zombie cure introduced into the embryo, the clone became a girl.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fire Storm posted:

I'm voting for Annie being a clone of Nick made a few years later and thanks to the zombie cure introduced into the embryo, the clone became a girl.

It's almost as plausible as Jill turning blonde because Wesker's experimenting changed her natural hair color.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

It's almost as plausible as Jill turning blonde because Wesker's experimenting changed her natural hair color.

HEY BUDDY

This ain't no Reeses cup here, don't mix your Resident Evil in my Dead Rising please. Thank you.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Video 40 - Daddy Issues [YouTube]

This is the actual end of the game. I have a note at the start of the credits but in case you wouldn't see it, there is an extra scene after the credits at 35:33.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I saw that twist coming, but I do have to admit that the last minute reveal of the surprise character brings a kind of gravity to the story that it didn't have previously. Sure the end-all, be-all is that it's a goofy zombie killing game, but that character's experience and background (and tragedy) makes it a bit more "serious" if that makes sense. It was also just satisfying to see them.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Oh, also Family Reunions are cute and I'm glad those two were able to find each other again. :3:

To say something more than the exact same thing again, I had my suspicions about Annie from the very beginning but the moment we learned that someone was looking for her and saw how blatantly they were trying to hide his identity my first thought was "Oh she's Katey and Chuck is looking for her."

Also it's neat to get Chuck back but really what I want is an even older, even more Dan Aykroyd-looking Frank West

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 23, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

With all the characters from past games showing up, I half expected Frank West to come walking in to complete the set, but alas, maybe someday we'll get Dead Rising 3: Off the Record.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Eh, I'd say it happens far too out of the blue for me to like it. But still, fitting re. Silliness of D.R. games

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Pretty sweet mortal kombat fatality there on the bad guy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

More Chuck Greene is always a good thing.

Nick may have started out as a complete wuss but he earned that one liner by the end.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
The biggest disappointment for me is that Katey should have been so much cooler, She had a loving TIGER as a kid (well if you played it right anyway). The fact that she wasn't the main character of DR3 was a huge missed opportunity in my opinion.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, uh, maybe I'm just dense, but is that a wrap? Nothing else in the game? You said this was the end of the game in the vid, but unless i missed it(Possible!), you didn't say "We're done with this game entirely" or anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rotinaj posted:

So, uh, maybe I'm just dense, but is that a wrap? Nothing else in the game? You said this was the end of the game in the vid, but unless i missed it(Possible!), you didn't say "We're done with this game entirely" or anything.

There's still a DLC chapter to go.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Interestingly, Dead Rising 2's Overtime mode apparently isn't canon, which is a bit odd.

I'm glad that they kept Chuck's huge chin on his new character model. It's a good 90% of his characterisation.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 27, 2015

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It must be good to be The Co-op Player. Get to survive without having anything really happen to you because they can't afford to give you any characterization.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Just to be a bit of a tool, but you guys were getting the analogy to unbreakable wrong.

Tags just in case no one's seen it.

The plot of Unbreakable, was Samuel L. Jackson's character "Mr. Glass" was a man born with brittle bone disease, but also an almost allergic repulsion to water. He indulged himself into comics since they were a world he could forget about his weaknesses. He Learned through them that there's always a cosmic balance to things. So he thought "there must be someone out there like me, but opposite." So he goes about causing massive disasters looking for the "Hero to his Villain" who was Bruce Willis' character. A man virtually unbreakable but also weak to water.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Interestingly, Dead Rising 2's Overtime mode apparently isn't canon, which is a bit odd.

I'm glad that they kept Chuck's huge chin on his new character model. It's a good 90% of his characterisation.

Yeah, Case West takes place after the A Ending, which is what you get if you don't give TK any Zombrex.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Video 41 - Alternate Endings [YouTube]

Just a couple of the other endings you can get. There aren't as many as in the other Dead Rising games.

JossiRossi posted:

The biggest disappointment for me is that Katey should have been so much cooler, She had a loving TIGER as a kid (well if you played it right anyway). The fact that she wasn't the main character of DR3 was a huge missed opportunity in my opinion.

Katey/Annie as the main character would have been cool. Check out this trailer and compare Annie in it to the Annie in the game. She ends up as way more of a damsel in distress which kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Isabella looks at Dick in one of endings, so I guess he's not a figment of Nick's imagination after all.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Katey/Annie as the main character would have been cool. Check out this trailer and compare Annie in it to the Annie in the game. She ends up as way more of a damsel in distress which kinda sucks.

Nick is way too much of a smug jackass in that trailer. I like his character arc in the game, where he starts out as a freaked out guy, really out of his depth, but by the end, he's the confident hero..

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 28, 2015

• Locked thread