Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I wouldn't get too hung up on the deadly sins thing. They're too simplistic to try and say "this is the theme of the game". And don't worry about the ending just yet, we've got a long way to go before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
:blush: Sorry.

Good LP by the way

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Dante Logos posted:

Wrath seems about right. They react poorly when illegals are around and automatically scapegoat them for the spread. Easy targets for indignation. But it is just a guess.

Those drat illegals that don't get chipped so the government can track their every move, so good, non-zombie people can avoid them like the plague carriers they are. :argh:

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

Or is it Sputnik posted:

That fits well with how the looters would charge you an arm and a leg for Zombrex, too!

That's funny, I tried giving them an arm and a leg... they told me to come back with money.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:NEW UPDATE:siren:

Video 03 - Implausible Vehicles [YouTube]

New mechanics! (unintentional pun!) New characters! Unexpected twists!

thetrueoskar posted:

That's funny, I tried giving them an arm and a leg... they told me to come back with money.

This is a very good post and I'm sorry I didn't respond to it earlier.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 6, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Nick. Nick. You have killed someone before. Remember when you drove that Japanese guy to suicide because you wouldn't leave him alone?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I noticed the fireman zombies didn't stay on fire or die when you hit them with the flames, that's a pretty neat thing to code into the game.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Voted 5, Go Hawg Wild!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I think one of those things I don't mind in Capcom's writing in their zombie games is the fact that the playable protagonists never get infected unless the plot says otherwise, which meant that they never got bitten or otherwise harmed. Back in DR1, you could get mauled by several zombies over the course of the game, but the infection didn't actually become relevant until Overtime. Chuck in 2 never got infected even though the gas zombies were the meanest motherfuckers that weren't a Psychopath. Here, Nick's screwed and it hasn't even been a day in his story.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

paragon1 posted:

Nick. Nick. You have killed someone before. Remember when you drove that Japanese guy to suicide because you wouldn't leave him alone?

Nick didn't kill him, he cut off his own head.

Isn't that :killdozer:motorcycle from one of the trailers?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

citybeatnik posted:

Nick didn't kill him, he cut off his own head.

Did you not even read the whole post that you quoted?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

seaborgium posted:

I noticed the fireman zombies didn't stay on fire or die when you hit them with the flames, that's a pretty neat thing to code into the game.

Yeah the special type zombies all have their own little gimmick. The cops fire their guns and the firemen are resistant to fire. There's one more awesome one I can think of off the top of my head.

citybeatnik posted:

Probably, it's awesome. There was a contest/giveaway thing at launch where you could get a downloadable Mountain Dew version of the Roller Hawg. Sadly, I don't have it. :smith:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

paragon1 posted:

Did you not even read the whole post that you quoted?

It wasn't done by his hand. :colbert:

Now I'm actually trying to remember the total number of psychos in the various games where the PC is directly responsible for their death in the cut-scene that follows.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I might have to do my own LP of this eventually, there's so much stuff I want to say while watching.

The first cutscene of the game I ever watched was the one where Nick makes the combo vehicle for the first time. When Rhonda turned to him and said "BOY HOWDY I BET YOU COULD MAKE MORE OF THESE DURING LITERAL ZOMBIE ATTACKS BECAUSE YER SUCH A GENIUS" I immediately set down my controller and went back to writing code for the rest of the day.

I also love how after you beat the gang leader and save Rhonda, Dick just sort of slides into view in the cutscene. Like, "Hey, yeah, I was always here, whatup."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man I hope Nick turns into less of a wuss in cutscenes, if only so its less jarring going from him cowering from two no-name mooks to beating down a rollerhawg in gameplay. Not everybody can be Chuck Greene but a bit of spine would be nice.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Nick doesn't really seem to have an issue with the zombies (all the times he ran in cutscenes he was massively outnumbered in a small area), but I guess he just doesn't like the concept of "kill this guy who isn't a zombie." Not sure how he glossed over the deaths of the other bikers, but it was probably an adrenaline thing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Man I hope Nick turns into less of a wuss in cutscenes, if only so its less jarring going from him cowering from two no-name mooks to beating down a rollerhawg in gameplay. Not everybody can be Chuck Greene but a bit of spine would be nice.

Yeah, a game where you are messily gibbing zombies by the thousands (sometimes in really silly ways) probably isn't the place for a "Why do things have to be this way?" protagonist.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, a game where you are messily gibbing zombies by the thousands (sometimes in really silly ways) probably isn't the place for a "Why do things have to be this way?" protagonist.

I think that may be intended to be the joke. That in a genre that's usually a power fantasy, the hero is a completely spineless wuss.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Night10194 posted:

I think that may be intended to be the joke. That in a genre that's usually a power fantasy, the hero is a completely spineless wuss.

Note also how the instant Nick got infected, everyone found an excuse to get far, far away from him. I get the feeling that a consistent theme in this game is going to be the universe taking a giant dump on this poor guy.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Night10194 posted:

Also known as the "Shinji get in the loving robot" syndrome.

Hopefully we'll see a bit more use of the halberd in the future, the moveset looks really fun.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol at what point do we fight the blonde lady with huge cleavage, because Capcom apparently can't make a game without one.

And nice to see some story/gameplay integration here, in that you don't have to hurry story missions right?

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nalesh posted:

[/b]

Also known as the "Shinji get in the loving robot" syndrome.

Hopefully we'll see a bit more use of the halberd in the future, the moveset looks really fun.

The difference is Nick improving is something that's will probably happen during the story.

gently caress Shinji.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

A Bystander posted:

Not sure how he glossed over the deaths of the other bikers, but it was probably an adrenaline thing.

Well, that's all part and parcel, isn't it? He didn't exactly have time to reflect on snuffing out ten human lives in an explosion of smoke and flame before another impending casualty came screaming towards him.

Also I kind of doubt Nick is going to have to pilot a giant robot powered by the fundamental isolation of the human psyche and also his dead mum so there aren't any real story reasons against him being Trembly McMilksop in stark opposition to the flippy spinny ninja moves he was pulling off earlier.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I kinda like that Nick is not a bad-rear end like Frank "I've covered wars" West or Chuck "I drive chainsaw motorcycles through hoops on fire" Greene. He's just a regular dude that is good at fixing vehicles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, Frank and Chuck were never gung-ho about killing the Psychopaths either. They usually tried to talk them down, fought in self defense (or defense of others), and then some ironic twist finished the psychopath off afterwards.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Glazius posted:

Well, that's all part and parcel, isn't it? He didn't exactly have time to reflect on snuffing out ten human lives in an explosion of smoke and flame before another impending casualty came screaming towards him.

Also I kind of doubt Nick is going to have to pilot a giant robot powered by the fundamental isolation of the human psyche and also his dead mum so there aren't any real story reasons against him being Trembly McMilksop in stark opposition to the flippy spinny ninja moves he was pulling off earlier.

Kal-L posted:

I kinda like that Nick is not a bad-rear end like Frank "I've covered wars" West or Chuck "I drive chainsaw motorcycles through hoops on fire" Greene. He's just a regular dude that is good at fixing vehicles.

It's too early to know if he stay the same or not.

This better not be the last game in the series because gently caress the S ending

Sramaker fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 8, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Glazius posted:

Get in the loving zombie, Nick.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Lol at what point do we fight the blonde lady with huge cleavage, because Capcom apparently can't make a game without one.

And nice to see some story/gameplay integration here, in that you don't have to hurry story missions right?

If only they could all be like BB.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Glazius posted:

Also I kind of doubt Nick is going to have to pilot a giant robot powered by the fundamental isolation of the human psyche and also his dead mum

Hey the OP specifically says no spoilers.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The two vehicles shown in the video are a good start, but they aren't true :killdozer:.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The bomb is to be dropped to destroy all organic life? As opposed to what, all non-organic life?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Samovar posted:

The bomb is to be dropped to destroy all organic life? As opposed to what, all non-organic life?

Probably sounds better than saying "We're going to destroy everything, buildings, cars, dogs, burger shops", and besides, it's not like this is the first city to go up in smoke in post zombie America.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Blastinus posted:

Note also how the instant Nick got infected, everyone found an excuse to get far, far away from him. I get the feeling that a consistent theme in this game is going to be the universe taking a giant dump on this poor guy.

Nick, we really need you to fix this plane so we can get out of here, you're the only one that can do it. Now, go find some Zombrex on your own, we have to go stare at the plane.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well... that actually DOES make a bit of sense, if you think about it. If you go with a person who might turn at any second, there's a risk of more than just one person getting infected, as opposed to Nick just going on his own.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

"" posted:

Nick's a big wuss!

It's worth noting that Nick is pretty young, I think he's like 19 or so. Frank and Chuck were both fairly grizzled adults who'd been through some poo poo before.

Polsy posted:

Nick, we really need you to fix this plane so we can get out of here, you're the only one that can do it. Now, go find some Zombrex on your own, we have to go stare at the plane.

Actually Rhonda is going to be fixing the plane, she's not just eye candy ya know.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Actually Rhonda is going to be fixing the plane, she's not just eye candy ya know.

Rhonda probably taught Nick everything he knows, but Nick is better at applying duct tape to combine improbable things.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
That's a very non regulation uniform miss police/military woman at the press conference. Do we need a 'TOTALLY NOT EVIL' flashing neon sign above the 'general'?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do love Japanese developers not understanding how our government works.

A former general (who is now SecDef) wouldn't be wearing his full military garb for a press conference. I don't even know what to say about his assistant's weird anime military suit.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Fairly certain the actual devs for DR2/3 are Canadian and just mimicking the DR1 style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Drakenel posted:

That's a very non regulation uniform miss police/military woman at the press conference. Do we need a 'TOTALLY NOT EVIL' flashing neon sign above the 'general'?

Her outfit is hilarious and the fact that her hat actually has a skull and crossbones on it always reminds me of this skit:

http://youtu.be/OpZ8EkK3eWY

• Locked thread