Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

What exactly about that ending do you think justifies a $54 priceta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

When Ambrose loses, he gets more pissed off and he's still over as gently caress.

in what way is ambrose "over as gently caress" though

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I cringe anytime I see someone unironically refer to "the IWC"

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

sticklefifer posted:

Look, I have problems with WWE. I'm not saying I don't. They have MAJOR flaws. But the constant gloom and doom because of what people THINK is going to happen is tiresome, as is the whining when what they THINK is going to happen doesn't. Plenty of people were fine with the villain escaping to live another day, but dissenters act like that's just wrong by default or is an opinion only held by apologists.

I think there's a lot of irony in your post bitching about dissenters who "think something is going to happen" when your entire argument is based upon your own belief of what is going to happen, that there will be a feud going into mania. Now I'm not going to pretend that I know how things will play out, but I can tell you this. A week ago Ambrose was one of the biggest prospects in the company all over the product. Last night he was on the screen for 3 minutes.

How on earth you can think this means that the latest twist in the tale has been anything remotely approaching a positive for Ambrose is beyond me.

I mean you just need to ask the guy who he hit in the head with a microphone repeatedly last night about how wwe booking can work out for can't miss prospects on the verge of being a big deal.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 28, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

for what its worth meltzer said on the most recent observer radio that the current mindset in the company is that with orton turning and roman reigns due back soon ambrose is now the #4 babyface in the company and they didn't want to put him over the #1 heel

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My acceptance of the ending doesn't hinge on my Wrestlemania prediction though, and neither does my enjoyment. I'm still fine with it if they do something else, so that's not ironic or hypocritical at all. Interestingly though, Bray's and Reigns's promos on Raw both actually support what I said, but ultimately I don't care if it does. The difference between me and the people I'm complaining about is that I don't use constant confirmation bias every single week to prove that X wrestler is being buried or that not getting immediate results = immediate proof of whatever gloom and doom pet theory is widely accepted this month. People didn't like Ambrose's ending and then immediately on Raw it's "SEE!? BURIED!" :supaburn:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 28, 2014

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Cardboard Box posted:

for what its worth meltzer said on the most recent observer radio that the current mindset in the company is that with orton turning and roman reigns due back soon ambrose is now the #4 babyface in the company and they didn't want to put him over the #1 heel

Oh it's totally obvious that Ambrose is more over than they would like, and that they would rather push his heat onto their pet projects. Honestly I would be shocked if they didn't turn him in the new year.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Whether that is actually the case in this instance or not, I have never understood that mentality. If somebody is already doing well with your audience as they are, why try to knock them down to put somebody else in the same spot? Save yourselves the bother, if someone is already on their way to the top spot you might as well just roll with it.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

pressedbunny posted:

Whether that is actually the case in this instance or not, I have never understood that mentality. If somebody is already doing well with your audience as they are, why try to knock them down to put somebody else in the same spot? Save yourselves the bother, if someone is already on their way to the top spot you might as well just roll with it.

Politics ect. Remember people get paid (not very well these days apparently) on their card position so no one whos above in the pecking order is going to go here you go dean ambrose have my spot.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Oh it's totally obvious that Ambrose is more over than they would like, and that they would rather push his heat onto their pet projects. Honestly I would be shocked if they didn't turn him in the new year.

i really don't think it's a case of him being more over than they'd like because realistically he's not that over. this isn't a daniel bryan-like situation where crowds go crazy for dean ambrose and chant for him all the time. they like him but they don't treat him like a major superstar. it's just that the company has more interest in other guys than they have in him at the moment.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
We're waiting and seeing if they'll make the same mistakes over and over again.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm not gonna say we should wait and see but I will say we should John and Cena.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Playing "wait and see" with WWE at this point is basically the same thing as trying to convince yourself that this next M. Night Shyamalan film will be the one that recaptures the magic of the Sixth Sense.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i liked the part where he was a ghost, much like bray wyatt

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

sportsgenius86 posted:

Playing "wait and see" with WWE at this point is basically the same thing as trying to convince yourself that this next M. Night Shyamalan film will be the one that recaptures the magic of Unbreakable.

:colbert:

Also I've been watching WWE for 7 months, the hope hasn't yet been beaten out of me

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Skinty McEdger posted:

...more over than they would like...

This is the thing that I just don't understand, conceptually. Isn't the end goal to get people over, so that you can then leverage their "over-ness", financially? If someone "accidentally" gets over, someone you weren't necessarily counting on, isn't that a good thing?

I get individual workers having their own self-concern in this regard, but as a company, isn't the goal have as many people as possible moving the needle viewer-wise, or merch-wise?

I guess if you're of the belief that different guys have different ceilings as far as all of this goes, you might lean that way, but it really seems counter-intuitive to me. Though I guess when little actions do actually get noticed (Bryan, Fandago to a lesser degree), instead of letting it grow organically, they have to put on their dad-jeans and show the kids how cool they actually are.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Cardboard Box posted:

i really don't think it's a case of him being more over than they'd like because realistically he's not that over. this isn't a daniel bryan-like situation where crowds go crazy for dean ambrose and chant for him all the time. they like him but they don't treat him like a major superstar. it's just that the company has more interest in other guys than they have in him at the moment.

They were treating him like a superstar a few weeks ago, but he lost his heat after getting some really bad segments and still never getting a legit major win.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FakePoet posted:

This is the thing that I just don't understand, conceptually. Isn't the end goal to get people over, so that you can then leverage their "over-ness", financially? If someone "accidentally" gets over, someone you weren't necessarily counting on, isn't that a good thing?

I get individual workers having their own self-concern in this regard, but as a company, isn't the goal have as many people as possible moving the needle viewer-wise, or merch-wise?

I guess if you're of the belief that different guys have different ceilings as far as all of this goes, you might lean that way, but it really seems counter-intuitive to me. Though I guess when little actions do actually get noticed (Bryan, Fandago to a lesser degree), instead of letting it grow organically, they have to put on their dad-jeans and show the kids how cool they actually are.

No. They literally know everything better than everyone else so if someone gets over independently, the fans are dumb for getting behind that person and the WWE's number one concern becomes how they can get the fans to not like that person and start liking the intended golden child.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The problem with the Dean Ambrose situation is that the WWE is clearly still banking on Reigns even though he is hurt, so instead of saying "Ok let's push Ambrose in the meantime" they are just treading water until the golden boy comes back.

Ambrose was always planned to be a distant 3rd/4th babyface, and damnit that's where he will stay! Even if the guy ahead of him in the pecking order is on the shelf.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

No. They literally know everything better than everyone else so if someone gets over independently, the fans are dumb for getting behind that person and the WWE's number one concern becomes how they can get the fans to not like that person and start liking the intended golden child.

Fans blindly accepting that Zack Ryder was a worthless piece of poo poo who never worked for a drat thing in his career because a company shill told them to is proof that "the fans are dumb" is at least partially based on reality.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

The problem with the Dean Ambrose situation is that the WWE is clearly still banking on Reigns even though he is hurt, so instead of saying "Ok let's push Ambrose in the meantime" they are just treading water until the golden boy comes back.

Ambrose was always planned to be a distant 3rd/4th babyface, and damnit that's where he will stay! Even if the guy ahead of him in the pecking order is on the shelf.

The best thing is going to be when Reigns comes back to a less than desired response so they have Cena lose to Lesnar at the Rumble, then come back and win the Rumble to overcome the odds and finally win the title at Mania.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Mukaikubo posted:

:colbert:

Also I've been watching WWE for 7 months, the hope hasn't yet been beaten out of me

Wait and see. You'll get there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

Fans blindly accepting that Zack Ryder was a worthless piece of poo poo who never worked for a drat thing in his career because a company shill told them to is proof that "the fans are dumb" is at least partially based on reality.

Zack Ryder is a mediocre wrestler who works hard. He should probably be in a better spot than he is but I can't think of who I'd get rid of to make room for him. Before you say 'Kane' he absolutely will never fill the role Kane does as a monster. He's not as good or funny or clever as Sandow either, so where does Zack Ryder fit? With whom would you have him swap spots?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

sportsgenius86 posted:

The best thing is going to be when Reigns comes back to a less than desired response so they have Cena lose to Lesnar at the Rumble, then come back and win the Rumble to overcome the odds and finally win the title at Mania.

For nothing else, the Raw after Wrestlemania would probably be so much worse than the Raw after 29 it would be instant must-see television.

But hey, remember when Cena got squashed by Lesnar 100% clean (apart from all the blood, urine, and vomit)? And how optimistic we were that it was a new beginning?

:smith:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Zack Ryder is a mediocre wrestler who works hard. He should probably be in a better spot than he is but I can't think of who I'd get rid of to make room for him. Before you say 'Kane' he absolutely will never fill the role Kane does as a monster. He's not as good or funny or clever as Sandow either, so where does Zack Ryder fit? With whom would you have him swap spots?

Zack Ryder fit as a midcarder people actually gave a poo poo about and had a title belt.

So just check off all the people on the current roster nobody gives a poo poo about, and there's your list of guys Zack Ryder pre-burial was better than.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hmm yes sorry Zack all the spots on the card are filled *books Dusts vs Usos XVII*

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The big issue with the Ryder thing for me was that it was coming at a time where WWE was really heavily pushing the "gotta make your own breaks" narrative and even having mandatory meetings discussing the use of social media to get yourself over and raise the company profile.

They called everyone into meetings to ask them to do the exact poo poo Zack Ryder then did and they spited the living gently caress out of him for it.

As for "where he goes on the card," it shouldn't really matter. His gimmick was NEVER going to last longterm at that level of popularity and even the most staunch Ryder supporters knew that. The point is he got himself over pretty loving big with literally zero help from WWE and instead of letting it play its course and making money off of it, they totally buried him for no other reason than because they could.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

Zack Ryder fit as a midcarder people actually gave a poo poo about and had a title belt.

So just check off all the people on the current roster nobody gives a poo poo about, and there's your list of guys Zack Ryder pre-burial was better than.

There's no one on the roster I personally would care about less than Ryder in that same spot. Put Ryder in Sheamus, Miz, Ryback, Big Show, Henry, the Usos, Gold/Stardust, Torito, Hornswoggle's spot and I'll care about him less. Who, specifically, are you talking about here?

Yes it was bad that they did what they did to Zack. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm not entertained by him and they fell rear end-backwards into making the right decision for my enjoyment of the product.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

The big issue with the Ryder thing for me was that it was coming at a time where WWE was really heavily pushing the "gotta make your own breaks" narrative and even having mandatory meetings discussing the use of social media to get yourself over and raise the company profile.

They called everyone into meetings to ask them to do the exact poo poo Zack Ryder then did and they spited the living gently caress out of him for it.

As for "where he goes on the card," it shouldn't really matter. His gimmick was NEVER going to last longterm at that level of popularity and even the most staunch Ryder supporters knew that. The point is he got himself over pretty loving big with literally zero help from WWE and instead of letting it play its course and making money off of it, they totally buried him for no other reason than because they could.

if wwe doesn't pick you, you're not gonna be a star. there are exceptions (bryan, rey, who actually they did push to a meaningful degree to attract the latino demo, but never as a tippy top guy) but for the most part they only really like to push their chosen ones. their "make yourself a star" narrative really means "make yourself a star to us" which means be tall and big and act like the rock

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hornswoggle's spot

You must not have been around for the Hornswoggle/Chavo feud that went on and on and on and on and on. No. gently caress Hornswoggle.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's no one on the roster I personally would care about less than Ryder in that same spot. Put Ryder in Sheamus, Miz, Ryback, Big Show, Henry, the Usos, Gold/Stardust, Torito, Hornswoggle's spot and I'll care about him less. Who, specifically, are you talking about here?

Yes it was bad that they did what they did to Zack. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm not entertained by him and they fell rear end-backwards into making the right decision for my enjoyment of the product.

If people care about the people involved, matches are better. I don't need to name a specific guy because if crowds care, everything is better. People cared about Zack Ryder. He got buried for loving Kane, who only existed to put over John Cena.

Imagine a world where WWE moved the hottest period of Cody Rhodes' career into him being more than a goofy midcarder. Or where Cesaro isn't a jobber. Sounds terrible, doesn't it? Good thing WWE told the fans to gently caress off like you justified. :allears:

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 28, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

If people care about the people involved, matches are better. I don't need to name a specific guy because if crowds care, everything is better. People cared about Zack Ryder. He got buried for loving Kane, who only existed to put over John Cena.

The reason why people don't care about the majority roster is because they're booked like poo poo and cut terrible promos, which is what happened to Ryder. It doesn't matter who the gently caress you put in there unless creative improves or you get the rare guy who can transcend it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

"Lots of people liked this guy but I didn't like this guy so gently caress everyone."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A shitload of WWE booking seems to be based on self-fulfilling prophecies

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

"Lots of people liked this guy but I didn't like this guy so gently caress everyone."

That's my line of thinking unironically. Sorry you loved Zack Ryder but I didn't and now I can watch Seth Rollins and Stardust and Sandow and loads of other guys instead. gently caress everyone!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

"Now explain to me why we're losing subscribers."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Sandow's a *really* bad example given they buried that guy to death before the crowd decided they loved in him spite of it. So now he'll probably feud with and lose to Miz.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vince: Hey doodz Cena and Orton again!!!

(network comes in significantly under expectations)

Vince::qq:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Sandow's a *really* bad example given they buried that guy to death before the crowd decided they loved in him spite of it. So now he'll probably feud with and lose to Miz.

Sandow is basically Heath Slater 2.0. There's no reasonable way to care about any of his matches for the result, so all you can do is embrace the silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Why did Sandow succeed where Ryder failed? Why didn't Ryder get over in spite of his burial?

• Locked thread