Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm legitimately amused that the stipulation in the Bellas feud is literally the plot of a Brady Bunch episode: "If you can't beat me in this physical contest you have to be my servant for a month". It'll all end in their stern but loving dad lecturing them about responsibility, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Lotta babbys crying over that PPV.

Rollins winning via interference means it's not over, and it shouldn't be. They're building a long-rear end epic feud that's been consistently entertaining. A real ending would derail all of that. Yeah the cell match owned but Ambrose going over clean is the endgame and there's no reason that needs to end now. Sidetrack Dean a bit while they reintroduce Bray so Rollins has fewer obstacles for cashing in, then rekindle it whenever Rollins cashes in so Dean can go for the title because there's still a score to settle. Dean gets darker via Bray, Reigns heals up and goes for Rollins, but Ambrose isn't done with him yet because he got away last time. Ex-Shield triple threat at Wrestlemania. Calling it right now. HIAC still looks better than it did going in, Dean still looks awesome, Seth still looks like an opportunistic shitheel, Bray has something to do, and there will be more where that came from instead of just blowing it off at one of the minor PPVs of the year that everyone hates anyway because it's a gimmick PPV instead of a blood feud stip.

That was a drat solid PPV and y'all are acting like WWE put Big Show in the main event again. Me and my friend mark are gonna cancel our subscriptions. :qq:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm still laughing at that stupid loving theme song.

WELCOME TO THE PANIC ROOM
IT'S MY DARK PLACE

HulkaMatt posted:

Obviously they can do something in storyline to rehab this - but as of right now it's loving frustrating to have paid for another show with a poo poo finish.
See, that's exactly the problem. I know it's annoying to hear "wait and see" but it's like nobody wants to do either of those things anymore. "Wait and see" used to mean "watch how the feud/angle plays out to completion" and now it means "wait at least wait one goddamn day to see how the Raw fallout covers it". I've been around the IWC long enough to know that people don't want to wait, and I do kinda get that, but it's gotten to the point where people don't want to SEE either. Instead they just want to poop and poop. Instead of wait and see it's immediate poopshitfartcry.

DeepDickPizza posted:

For gently caress's sake, we just got Cena vs. Orton #117 last night.
Yeah, and everyone loves that so much. The IWC by default hates if any combination of wrestlers fight each other more than twice a year and then posts their Cagematch stats to prove how many times they had Superstars matches they didn't even watch. When Ambrose/Rollins is thrown away on a random Raw in the future because their feud already finished, nobody cares. When they get to resume unfinished business, everybody cares. I have seen this happen dozens of times and people still complain regardless of the outcome, because we like to complain about wrestling.

Seth needed that shady win. Dean did not need that clean win. It was not a non-finish like the DQ we've seen, and it's legit under the stip rules anyway. I think this new direction is interesting, and I'm glad Ambrose/Rollins isn't over.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HulkaMatt posted:

When you see the same loving thing over and over again it becomes boring. People have a right to get irritated over the same content.
Good, now apply this exact statement to whiny posts from people who don't get exactly what they want 100% of the time, and you get it.

HulkaMatt posted:

The HIAC is - and I'm pretty sure we can all agree: the BLOWOFF MATCH OF ALL BLOWOFF MATCHES.
Haha seriously? HIAC is a transitional PPV and always has been. Before it was a gimmick PPV, it was the end-all gently caress-you stipulation, but it hasn't been like that in years and I wish every year that they'd get RID of it. Unless you think October is arbitrarily where every blood feud should be blown off. Ambrose/Rollins culminating in HIAC was completely incidental; in the storyline Ambrose earned the right to face Rollins there instead of Cena by getting a clipboard off a pole. He didn't challenge him to it whatsoever. TLC ending it would've been more appropriate given The Shield's debut.

Did Orton/Bryan 2013 end anything? Did Punk/Ryback 2012 end their feud? Did Alberto/Cena/Punk 2011 end the Cena/Alberto title feud or keep Punk out of the title scene? Even Punk/Heyman wasn't blown off until the following Raw. The last time it really ended a major grudge feud was Kane/Undertaker 2010, and only because Paul Bearer used a magic spotlight to blind Taker. The other HIAC on that card had zero reason to be in the Cell, and most others are the same way. So no, we can't all agree on that because it would be outright silly to.

quote:

Also: In what way did Rollins need that win? He has won every match in the feud and is about to face a guy who also lost on the show. He needed it so he could say "I won and you didn't?" Great stuff.

When a face wins, they typically have no more business to attend to. When Ambrose loses, he gets more pissed off and he's still over as gently caress. When Seth loses, he's no longer the whiny "lol I won" rear end in a top hat, and right now he's the top heel so he should stay the whiny "lol I won" rear end in a top hat, instead of losing heat by losing a decisive feud. When the Authority wins, people want to continue seeing someone topple them. When Seth won and Randy lost, it sparked Randy's whole angry followup on Raw where he was more interesting than he's been in years.

Look, I have problems with WWE. I'm not saying I don't. They have MAJOR flaws. But the constant gloom and doom because of what people THINK is going to happen is tiresome, as is the whining when what they THINK is going to happen doesn't. Plenty of people were fine with the villain escaping to live another day, but dissenters act like that's just wrong by default or is an opinion only held by apologists. A large portion of this PPV was entertaining and full of really solid matches, especially for the price if you have a Network subscription - and if you don't, why pay $50+/month if it's that easy to shake your enjoyment?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My acceptance of the ending doesn't hinge on my Wrestlemania prediction though, and neither does my enjoyment. I'm still fine with it if they do something else, so that's not ironic or hypocritical at all. Interestingly though, Bray's and Reigns's promos on Raw both actually support what I said, but ultimately I don't care if it does. The difference between me and the people I'm complaining about is that I don't use constant confirmation bias every single week to prove that X wrestler is being buried or that not getting immediate results = immediate proof of whatever gloom and doom pet theory is widely accepted this month. People didn't like Ambrose's ending and then immediately on Raw it's "SEE!? BURIED!" :supaburn:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 28, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

Zack Ryder is a mediocre wrestler who works hard. He should probably be in a better spot than he is but I can't think of who I'd get rid of to make room for him. Before you say 'Kane' he absolutely will never fill the role Kane does as a monster. He's not as good or funny or clever as Sandow either, so where does Zack Ryder fit? With whom would you have him swap spots?

There was a time when I thought Ryder would've been a perfect partner for Miz in a heel tag team based on being douchebags on reality shows. But since Miz went with the Johnny Cage gimmick he's surpassed the reality show persona. Really though, Ryder was at his best in the tag division and there's no reason they can't use him there, considering how thin the division is. Put him with R-Truth or someone else who isn't doing jack poo poo and they both might actually shine a little.

This is really their problem with turning Mark Henry (or turning just him and not Show too). The tag division really could've used a Jaded Monster Old Guys team. Instead we get a Show/Henry feud again, when neither should be in a singles feud. I would not have minded them as tag champions at all, since they're both relatively big names and both former singles champs.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Anywhere outside of that PPV, yes.

I had to laugh when they did it for Taker/HHH at Wrestlemania a couple years back. Way to prove your annual "welp let's put them in a cell because it's October" PPV means absolute dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

You aren't getting more heat than six months into the feud Hell in a Cell match.

What match would be the blow off if not this one? The Kennel From Hell?

I've been saying this for a while, but TLC. Hands down for me.

They can't do all the cell stuff they used to be able to do anymore, aside from the occasional falling spot - even this match was mostly a means of keeping Rollins in while Ambrose brought his own weapons. TLC has a wider range and it also has the distinction of being The Shield's debut match.

• Locked thread