Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That's not all that much profit considering how much labor it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Morglon posted:

That's not all that much profit considering how much labor it takes.

At 360 labor, it translates out to roughly 28g per 100 labor if 100g profit is assumed, which is really, really high given the potential consistency and the definite safety. Unless you are netting 30k fish regularly, never getting hit by pirates and have a fishing ship, it's tough to beat that ratio. Given the investment cost of a fishing ship, it becomes even more difficult.

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

ARRGH YOU'RE THE ONE THAT IS DOOMED TO SINK
My new crest on my new boat.

http://i.imgur.com/7QsTriW.jpg

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Bait and Swatch posted:

At 360 labor, it translates out to roughly 28g per 100 labor if 100g profit is assumed, which is really, really high given the potential consistency and the definite safety. Unless you are netting 30k fish regularly, never getting hit by pirates and have a fishing ship, it's tough to beat that ratio. Given the investment cost of a fishing ship, it becomes even more difficult.

That is if you believe the 100g profit margin, I've had trouble selling heroic desert 44 plate and am thus having trouble with the quoted number.

Edit: add to that that if you end up with lake or sunset nobody will buy it. There are maybe two or three people in the entire game who play classes that use int plate.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 29, 2014

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

Yeah but it's not something you can do constantly. There's just not that much arcane conquerors gear on the AH, and when there is it's not always a good deal.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
To all East goons who own a farm cart, what is your favorite route to take? I've been using arcum iris to villanelle with mild success but I feel like there's probably a better route out there to take

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

effectual posted:

What should I do at level 20 if I have 20g?

Seems like I can't do anything fun til 50, except quest, which is fine, but not tremendously fast to level.

Unfortunately questing is one of the fastest ways to level and you even make some gold doing it. Make sure you Overachieve on every quest you can, you can get to level 50 while still doing the mid-late 30s quests.

The very fastest way to level costs money. Wait until you have max labor, pop a vocation tonic, buy some moonlight archeum dust, a bunch of wedges, evenstones, and iron, cloth or leather. Craft a bunch of iron, leather or cloth sleeves. Break them down to the the archaeum back. Craft them again. Repeat until you run out of labor or lose your mind. It works, but then you'll be a penniless level 50 wearing level 20 gear, so it's not perfect.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Angela Christine posted:

The very fastest way to level costs money. Wait until you have max labor, pop a vocation tonic, buy some moonlight archeum dust, a bunch of wedges, evenstones, and iron, cloth or leather. Craft a bunch of iron, leather or cloth sleeves. Break them down to the the archaeum back. Craft them again. Repeat until you run out of labor or lose your mind. It works, but then you'll be a penniless level 50 wearing level 20 gear, so it's not perfect.

There's another way to level quickly that makes money. Going off the coast of Cinderstone and mining Starshards has worked really well for me. It can be kind of hit or miss, because if Cinderstone is at peace the place will be swamped but otherwise people can kill you. I usually go when there's low Danger. Glider out there, scope it out before you pop your Dahuta's Bubble potion and Vocation Tonic. Usually there'll be some 50s around, but I found as long as you don't directly compete with them for nodes they won't go out of their way to kill you. If someone does show up to PK you, there's plenty of crafting benches in town so you can fall back on the crafting plan.

Then next time you max out on labor, you can turn all the Starshard Chips you'll have into Starshard Ingots and sell them on the AH. It's not a ton of money, but it offsets the cost of the Vocation and Worker's Comp potions.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

Widestancer posted:

Of course! If you or anyone else ever has anything they want added to the OP just lemme know :3:

Your new av is mesmerizing. :stare:

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Arcade posted:

Yeah but it's not something you can do constantly. There's just not that much arcane conquerors gear on the AH, and when there is it's not always a good deal.

I agree it's definitely risky, and I've only been able to make a good profit due to luck and people being stupid on the AH. I've crafted 10 pieces of Illustrious gear - 4 desert, 2 lightning, 2 squall and 2 typhoon.

Morglon posted:

That is if you believe the 100g profit margin, I've had trouble selling heroic desert 44 plate and am thus having trouble with the quoted number.

Edit: add to that that if you end up with lake or sunset nobody will buy it. There are maybe two or three people in the entire game who play classes that use int plate.

I only sell leather, and the market for that is definitely bigger, what with all the primevals and darkrunners around.

Also, some of the world bosses require healers wearing plate (at least the Grimghast one does), so there might be a small market for Int plate. But all in all, Lake/Sunset plate is probably not gonna net you a lot of money.

For me, the biggest benefit is being able to make money more or less passively. I can put something up on the AH for 24 hours and then go off and do arenas or GHA, and don't have to spend time watching a donkey or a fishing rod. If it sells then I get to upgrade a piece of gear, if it doesn't I relist it and carry on with my random murder of mans.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 29, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well fair enough but for both plate and cloth there are combinations so simply don't want. Since they moved healing to Spirit anything with int is one of them. Won't do poo poo for you except it's cheap and gives you a little extra mana but there are only like two or three viable combinations that use int plate like the Skull Knight and barely anybody plays those. Honestly I'd still play a Templar if the items had the stats for it but besides random drops spirit plate just isn't a thing.

v I'm sorry the thread has gotten too mature for you.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 29, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morglon posted:

Well fair enough but for both plate and cloth there are combinations so simply don't want. Since they moved healing to Spirit anything with int is one of them. Won't do poo poo for you except it's cheap and gives you a little extra mana but there are only like two or three viable combinations that use int plate like the Skull Knight and barely anybody plays those. Honestly I'd still play a Templar if the items had the stats for it but besides random drops spirit plate just isn't a thing.

what is this bullshit? Having a light argument by calmly presenting facts and opinions?
This is not the thread I love :reddit:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Fun things you can do in 1v1 arena against poopsockers with thousands of gold worth of gear equipped:

Go AFK for a few minutes after your first death.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Morglon posted:

2 out of 4 Illustrious Plate types are pretty crap, I grant you that.

But the 4 Illustrious Cloth types all look decent. Each has a combination of Stam/Int/Spirit which I can see every cloth wearer wanting to have to some degree. I mean, its not like there's a Desert cloth set.

Man, just by looking at the possible combinations of stats on crafted plate gear, Plate wearers get shafted something fierce. Is there supposed to be some sort of Plate-wearing caster class in the game I don't know about? Or is it a result of the +healing stat nerf/fix that happened?

Fauxtool posted:

what is this bullshit? Having a light argument by calmly presenting facts and opinions?
This is not the thread I love :reddit:

I'm sorry. Maybe you should come back next week, when someone else decides to melt down.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 29, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well there is stone cloth with strength and stamina. You can use it as a cloth tank set for normal tanks on the third boss in GHA but that's really about it.

There are a bunch of hybrid plate casters and if you go offensive like the Skull Knight it works fine. Sort of. The arguably best tank is the Templar though which is pretty much a plate healing tank. Great during alpha when heal was on int, now it's sort of hosed because you're barely doing any damage and can't get the gear to make your heals count so the class is sort of stuck in a limbo unless they're guild pushed and have a really really really good club at which point it becomes awesome again.

You could always play any other caster class in plate but you'd be giving up on the full cloth set bonus you kind of need to make playing a caster viable.

Edit: Actually I was wrong, no crafted set cloth has any non caster stats on it just the weird random poo poo I picked up for cloth tanking that one boss. Yeah, looks like plate is the only armor class that has any attempted hybrid gear in it and thus gets shafted.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 29, 2014

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Morglon posted:

Well there is stone cloth with strength and stamina. You can use it as a cloth tank set for normal tanks on the third boss in GHA but that's really about it.

There are a bunch of hybrid plate casters and if you go offensive like the Skull Knight it works fine. Sort of. The arguably best tank is the Templar though which is pretty much a plate healing tank. Great during alpha when heal was on int, now it's sort of hosed because you're barely doing any damage and can't get the gear to make your heals count so the class is sort of stuck in a limbo unless they're guild pushed and have a really really really good club at which point it becomes awesome again.

You could always play any other caster class in plate but you'd be giving up on the full cloth set bonus you kind of need to make playing a caster viable.

Edit: Actually I was wrong, no crafted set cloth has any non caster stats on it just the weird random poo poo I picked up for cloth tanking that one boss. Yeah, looks like plate is the only armor class that has any attempted hybrid gear in it and thus gets shafted.

As a 70k metalworker it is really a fools errand to craft plate armor right now.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I'm just as far in as you are, trust me, I noticed. At least it was sort of easy to level I guess.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why does common staff mana recovery break stealth

AL -> Stealth -> Common Staff Mana Recovery Activates -> DoT still ticking -> guards aggro -> dead

e: and just spent 200g trying to regrade an L44 piece of green armor to blue

I'm not sure if the XLGames strategy is to poo poo on the player repeatedly until they develop stockholm syndrome or what

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 29, 2014

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Extra posted:

spent 200g trying to regrade an L44 piece of green armor to blue

For every non-blue lvl 40 setpiece I had I just crafted it back from lvl 20 and then hoped for a crit along the way, so all my lvl 40 gear would be at least blue when I would continue to lvl 44 and higher.

I managed to sell all those green lvl 40 pieces on the AH at cost or just below easily.

I heard someone mention it was even more efficient to regrade your lvl 20/24 gear to even higher quality and only then start increasing the level, but I have not looked into that yet.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

This game looks horrible but I have decided to download and play it anyway. See you all online soon.

Any good tips you wished you knew before starting?

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Deadclown posted:

This game looks horrible but I have decided to download and play it anyway. See you all online soon.

Don't spend real money. Seriously.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Extra posted:

Why does common staff mana recovery break stealth

AL -> Stealth -> Common Staff Mana Recovery Activates -> DoT still ticking -> guards aggro -> dead

e: and just spent 200g trying to regrade an L44 piece of green armor to blue

I'm not sure if the XLGames strategy is to poo poo on the player repeatedly until they develop stockholm syndrome or what

It is stupid expensive to regrade anything below Arcane, mainly because you have to use expensive regrade charms for grand/rare, it's really dumb. Most of my Arcane->Heroic took one or two attempts with cheap charms. I tried to regrade Rare to Arcane and spent 200g and failed, got Arcane pants to drop the next day and got heroic on the first try.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Deadclown posted:

Don't vendor anything except the gear your character started in.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Keep track on how many quest items you have in your bag, and try to complete the related quests. Otherwise you'll find all your bagspace to be hostaged by those worthless quest items.

Don't play alone. You can quest/level alone, but a small group of friends (which you set to family) works much better as a communist cooperative.

Spread the vocations each one is crafting for smartly. Especially regarding the dust/shard color component. Have one armorcrafter (leather/cloth/plate), one for weapons and one for handicrafting and share your blue/red/green shards accordingly

Buying patron status for the first month, to set up your farms and start raking in gold, is not a crime.
Spending more money than the first month's subscription is a crime. If you play smartly you can -easily- make the gold an APEX costs in a day or two (just do a few traderuns) so you can and save up the rest of the month for the other stuff.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Don't plan on finding land on the majority of servers.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Don't do handicrafting ever at all. Leveling at all is a pain mostly because there's no point to it. Level 44 divine quality gear only has twice the stats of level 20 greens which you can buy for around 80 silver. Seriously, I've seen some poor bastard trying to sell his divine for three weeks before giving up; higher level/quality stuff barely sells because the stat increase is marginal at best.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Should you rather "dischenchant" them like in other MMo's, or keep them for something else?

ragnoxiii posted:

Don't spend real money. Seriously.

I'm used to paying for mmo's, so I normally spend the worth of a months subscription regardless to make my life easier in "free to play" mmo's.

The Patron status looks like it could be usefull?

Thanks for all the other suggestions so far. I've downloaded 2gb/8gb so far. Might still be some patches after that I imagine.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Deadclown posted:

Should you rather "dischenchant" them like in other MMo's, or keep them for something else?

Yeah, you buy evenstones off blacksmiths and break the items for dust. Which if you plan to do any item crafting is super important, or you can just sell it.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Since the reds do not come to Halconya, we brought Halconya to them.

Through Sanddeep..

The Ocean..

Wild rivers..

All the way to the promised land.

Goonscour

There where no attacks on us during the long journey, which reinforces my believes that the flag is in fact a furry repellant.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deadclown posted:

Do not spend Gilda on your starting character. Rushing to 58-60 Gilda on an alt is extremely easy, so anything around that many Gilda is cheap. Anything beyond that takes a lot of dailies to save up for, so is really expensive. Do your Gilda quests, save them for something really expensive and do a Gilda rush alt if you want something below that price.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
You probably will want that alt, though. Harpoon clippers are nice, and you can get the blueprint just from the Gilda you get from the storyline.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Actually, the civilian gear you start with is tradable, and for some reason civilian clothing sells for tens of silver on the AH. :iiam:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Angela Christine posted:

Actually, the civilian gear you start with is tradable, and for some reason civilian clothing sells for tens of silver on the AH. :iiam:

There's a huge difference between "people list it for that much" and "it actually moves".

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Anyone know if the High Power Engine (used in Farm Wagons) is still going to require a Delphinad ingot? The only information I can find about those ingots is they required Nui Tears, so I figure they've been replaced by something else. I'm trying to get all of the non-Auroria mats together prior to Tuesday so I can hopefully get my wagon built next week.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Today in As The ArcheAge Turns: fishing goons get mad about people saying hurtful things in guild chat, and pirating their fishing spots.

More at 11.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think this is a better game than we all thought. Perhaps the devs designed this game to generate purestrain angst & drama.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Morglon posted:

There's a huge difference between "people list it for that much" and "it actually moves".

People have it listed for over a gold. Search "civilian" on the AH. I do a gilda run every few days, and have personally sold civilian pieces for over 30 silver each. I assume it's probably poorly programed bots. :shrug:

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

Today in As The ArcheAge Turns: fishing goons get mad about people saying hurtful things in guild chat, and pirating their fishing spots.

More at 11.

For someone that thinks trolling is funny you are pretty bad at not getting trolled.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Kimsemus posted:

More at 11.

Reaching fishing agreements is inherently anti-free market and the socialist reign of terror is already starting to show strain. Too many fishing ships at a single location causes insane lag and I really doubt the profitability of fishing. Unless you are filling a ship yourself, you are going to be limited to 2-3 fish that all need to be 30 or 37k and take 30-45+ minutes round trip if you include time searching for spawns.

In reality, hunting fishing fleets is likely the best way to make money until they stop being such easy targets. You can kill and steal enough large fish for the pirates in 1/2 the time and if you have a fishing boat, fill it up with your ill gotten gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Oil! posted:

Reaching fishing agreements is inherently anti-free market and the socialist reign of terror is already starting to show strain. Too many fishing ships at a single location causes insane lag and I really doubt the profitability of fishing. Unless you are filling a ship yourself, you are going to be limited to 2-3 fish that all need to be 30 or 37k and take 30-45+ minutes round trip if you include time searching for spawns.

In reality, hunting fishing fleets is likely the best way to make money until they stop being such easy targets. You can kill and steal enough large fish for the pirates in 1/2 the time and if you have a fishing boat, fill it up with your ill gotten gains.

That's what I keep saying, but people feel like their precious fishing would be interrupted by PVP in a PVP centric game.

• Locked thread