Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

As a heads up, the producer for the game's English release has said that the PVP patch (1.20) is now live on the PSN so it'll be ready for launch.

I'm getting really excited for this, just F5ing the gently caress out of my tracking information. I spent a ton of time today messing around with the Japanese language demo (why did they not put that out overseas?) customizing my character and Accessory then seeing what I could do with the Thorn system. The only issue I have with the controls is the weird cover system, as the button to pop out of cover is square rather than aim button for some reason? Maybe that got fixed in the updates between Japanese pre-release and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RentACop posted:

They fixed those ranged, stunlocking dudes right?

One of the first patches they put out dealt with downgrading the difficulty of human enemies that can do that, the game's director was like "yo some of that poo poo is just you being bad but some of it is bullshit soooo" they put it in with one of their patch updates. It's really hard to find English language patch notes apparently, but if your browser has auto-translate then you can peruse them here.

Looking through it myself, having Lock-On for guns was a sorely needed addition. They've done a surprising amount of user-oriented updates and given a bunch of free content out too, kinda nice.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The demo has a fight where one of the Abductors is accompanied by a ton of tiny little floating robots that try to hurt you, they respawned after awhile too while I was rescuing the civilians.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh right, Panopticons. I guess I'll explain that for a moment.

Panopticons are the future cities in Freedom Wars, you can join one of over 50 different ones to fight for online. You can view this list here.

According to developer replies from that article, players are not restricted from playing co-op or PVP with players from other Panopticons. So if you're in Toronto then you can fight a Madrid player or co-op with someone from Mumbai. The main deal behind Panopticons is like an online ranking system, all the points you earn playing online are sent to the game servers which rank you and your Panopticon versus everyone else's, and players who "support their Panopticon well" can earn weekly rewards. Supposedly the more players a Panopticon has, the harder the players have to work to earn their bonus.

FYI: Tokyo, Japan in the NA/EU release is not Tokyo, Japan in the JPN release. Japanese prefectures are not ranked against worldwide cities, but SCEA has said players from NA/EU can play with JPN region players.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeHYPTMnveI

Launch trailer and article from PlayStation.

Sony extended the time window to get The Reclamation Pack from the PSN, you now have until Nov. 11th to buy it off the PSN if you want the goodies for free. If you pre-ordered from somewhere like Amazon or EB Games then you get a code anyway, just got mine in the mail from Amazon.

PVP patch out today, several weeks of DLC ranging from weapons to customization planned and some of it is free.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wow, holy poo poo, this game's PVP is nuts. Was about to quit playing for the day so I figured I'd give it a whirl and after 15 minutes of room hopping I finally got into a team deathmatch against a bunch of Taiwanese players, all of which were like "Rank 4" (our team of Day 1 NA/EUs at 1) and dressed up in insane colored costumes with glowing purple explosion-causing spears and shoulder-mounted rocket launchers stun locking us with a Thorn ability that was like a Rank 2 Binding that apparently fired instantly with no charge. I think I was the only one on our team who got a kill and it was against an Accessory, chainsawed that clown-faced bastard before getting point blank blown up by an RPG.

I guess I should just avoid any team from Asia for the time being, because good lord I don't think anyone playing this game's English release is well equipped enough to handle those guys and won't be for awhile.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So what's the deal with facial hair in this game? I played the demo and there was an option to give yourself like a goatee but I can't find it here in the English release, is it an Entitlement you have to unlock or something?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So is there any way to make module installation not random? Because it's a huge pain in the rear end to set up a weapon fusion that's like OK I want Power Up (M) and Arm-Component Damage Up (M) on a weapon with 2 free slots then wind up somehow not getting either module because the game decided to transfer a different module and somehow created a module out of thin air when I didn't put any resources in to module creation. It feels like playing old SMT games, I have to upload my save to PS+ then pull it down again when the facility gives me a poo poo result.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So can anyone explain what prestiging weapons does? Once they hit Level 5 you're allowed to "upgrade to an advanced model" but start again at Level 1, but I have no idea what they mean by "advanced model". I love that Katze full-auto rifle and lucked into making one with six module slots, but if it's going to turn it into a different type of rifle like the triple-burst one then I don't want that.

edit: Never mind, gave it a try on a weapon I was using just to upgrade a facility. Lets you upgrade to a new model of the same weapon with your choice of either a straight power ceiling upgrade or branch out into an elemental version of that upgraded weapon. Seems kinda neat.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 1, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Just finished giving the game a try on a pstv. I really prefer how it plays with a controller (using the sprinter layout) to a vita. Makes manually aiming thorns and guns a bit easier.

Also I seemed to have picked up a weird variant on the Katze model of assault rifle. Its white and blue and does like 540 damage and I do not know where the hell I picked it up. Does the game just spawn rare versions of models or is this thing a reward for something?

That's a special advanced Katze with an ice element. You normally get one by upgrading a Katze to Level 5 then choosing to advance it to a new class of Katze (stagger, fire, ice, electric, Will'O) but sometimes you can find advanced weapons as drops.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy poo poo, 6-5 just doesn't end does it? They weren't kidding when they say that there's no intel on the discretionary ops, because that drat thing took half an hour. The intel just says "Destroy Heat- and Cold-Resistant Bipeds" so I jump in and hey it's two Centaur abductors, that's weird, so I kill them after like 10 minutes and then this Electric biped shows up, kill that in like 5-6, still not over, then finally these two fully-loaded shielded bipeds show up on top of us and its another 13 minutes to get them both down. First 4 star ranking I've ever got.

I'm convinced that those head laser cannons are the worst part of an Abductor to try and carve off. The hit box for the Thorn is so small and locking onto it doesn't seem to help, I have to hit it just below the collarbone from either the front or the back but if I go too high then I end up just hanging off the head and too low I end up carving the pod. The drat cannon is like the most powerful weapon they have too, because of the insane 180 explosion move and the rapid fire beams.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

God drat the difficulty of the optional missions shot up tremendously for CODE 6.

Tells me 2 Abductors which is easy, and then it becomes 3, then 5.

And all but one of them had shield generators. :gonk:

SO MANY ABDUCTORS

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just hit Square to enter the map and you'll have the option to just pick a location and go there with X.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy poo poo gently caress Sinners with machine guns. This discretionary 6-6 mission would be a million times easier if I didn't have to worry about these assholes spawning in every minute with guns that mow my team mates down, and then they always choose to spawn at the furthest spawn point and run the longest way back through the spawn areas for the bad guys so they die en route to the giant spider like half the time.

On the plus side, I've learned how to fight the spiders without them flipping the gently caress out. Turns out you don't wanna cut their head off, because Jesus Christ do they not like that. Web shooters, missile legs, then head.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

MotU posted:

CODE 5 Spoilers: I have actually been using both Hal and Ann so having to choose is kinda lovely :(

Wow, that's certainly something. It's like at the end of Mass Effect 1 when I'd been using Ashley and Kaiden for the entire game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So is there a drop table yet? I'm willing to sit down and carve Abductors until my face goes blue for those late bloomer weapons but god drat gimme a break.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

DLC is now available in North America, check the PSN web store. It's not fully updated but so far I've found

Weapon Pack A ($1.49)
Citizen Pack D ($0.99)
Bonus Pack DLC (Free)
Combat Item Pack A (Free)
Combat Item Pack C (Free)
Female Hairstyle Pack A (Free)
Male Hairstyle Pack A (Free)
Warren Colors (Free)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Apparently the Japanese swear by the shotgun (Barbara's Easy Blaster), and after messing around with a somewhat upgraded Rarity 4 one I can definitely see its terrifying potential. Like I saw a video of a guy with a souped up one plus augments killing the final boss in 49 seconds the other day and my jaw kinda dropped.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I use a chainsaw sword because the idea of latching onto robot spiders and screaming as I carve their web spinners off is cool.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I lucked out on CODE 7 insanely hard when the bullshit part happened, I tried escaping through the narrow central corridor and the whole gang of enemies followed me inside so I turned around and lit them all up, killing them all in seconds.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I dunno sometimes severing makes enemies flip the gently caress out. I tried severing the head on the robot spider a bunch of times and that just makes it spaz out and start doing the super fast spins all the time, but if I left it on it'd be more inclined to do the really slow start up one where it straightens its legs or even does that dumb mecha-fang attack. Taking the head off just made it jump all over the place.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, so just to make sure I have this right.

If I want a super OP cool guy Barbara Easy Blaster and a Chainsaw sword I need to:
1) Manufacture or seize an Rarity 8 Level 1 version of these weapons and they both need to be very high if not as high as possible on the Late Bloomer scale.
2) Upgrade these weapons until I cap them out at Level 10
3) Advance them to the upgraded versions (preferably Stagger class)
4) Fuse a C1 Growth weapon that I get from the Alliance path with it to ensure the best growth
5) Upgrade the weapons to Level 10 so they reach maximum potential
6) Kill myself as I try to slap Power Up XL, Power Up X, <sword/gun related mods> onto the thing
7) Be a cool guy who kills things really fast yeah I'm cool look at me and my guns I'm so cool.

edit: Oh and I have to figure out how to use element upgrades for a full 25 spread.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The final boss rush is the game indirectly telling you to stop going solo. The first two missions were a breeze but I could barely get the final boss down to 1/4th health before the sheer rush of Chains and the AI's inability to get rid of said Chains (even when on Suppress Personnel) so I took to it online and the group I was with was on loving point with that poo poo. Done in 6 minutes. Got my Non-Failure Certificate and now I can go get good men's costumes because every piece of story mode clothing outside of Type 88 is just generic military poo poo.

Bussamove posted:

Are you able to take Code exams/rank up while playing Multiplayer? I've got the game but a friend of mine is on the fence because we usually play through hunting games as a duo, and if we can't progress without occasionally dropping out to do plot/exams then he doesn't want any part of it.

Yes. I just helped some chick beat the CODE 7 exam online.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So I think I might be misunderstanding something about super weapon manufacturing.

All I need to start with is a Rarity 8 Late Bloomer of any attack variance right? So if I pull the absolute worst Late Bloomer ATK for a Barbara, I can just fuse said Barbara with one of the C1 weapons that Simeon gave me and then it'll be a bonafide R8 G1 C1? Can I fuse it at any time or do I wait until I upgrade it to the advanced model Lv.1 THEN do it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Emalde posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do it at any time, but it's likely safer to wait until you remodel it first.

E: vvv There were reports of that, but then with my own personal experience it does not actually seem to change growth class upon remodel. I could just be getting lucky and rolling C1 upon remodel, though.

Thanks, this worked out. Had a Barbara about 3 points away from perfect, remodeled, slapped on a Simeon weapon and boom instant C1 growth (plus a holy fuckton of Mods I didn't want :gonk:)

Now begins the long and arduous process of becoming a Barbara Bunny. LET'S GO SHOTGUN!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So I randomly got one of the hoverboards as loot for an online Retribution mission, I completely forgot these things even existed. Has anyone messed around with them? Are they any useful?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, I gathered the materials for about 10 of my chainsaw and my shotgun each then got 20 civilians to skip the build time, uploaded the save to PS+, then I just cranked out weapons until I got the rarity 8 late bloomer model I wanted. I would just download the PS+ save if I didnt.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The real money for getting years off your sentence is playing online and doing Invasions or playing the CODE-8 style stuff. 5000 years or 10000 years for a single mission!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah there's a guy in Area 6's cell garden who can delete modules for 5000 points.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, the legs won't actually break off or anything like that. The shin guards will crackle and fray and catch fire.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Have you tried going solo? I often found that my AI partners would murder the Abductor before I could get the part I wanted out of it, so I just started fighting them solo. I believe there's even commands you can order that tell them to go fight something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Awesome! posted:

whats in the code 7 exam? i dont like when i cant take my accessory

A 1v1 me fgt duel that quickly becomes like a 7 on 1 battle, hope you can find good cover.

• Locked thread