Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Been messing around with the weapons and such. No idea how modifying actually works, but I think Im getting stuff out of it. The Drill spear is amazing and I love the running attack for it, and for guns I've been leaning towards this sniper rifle I have.

I really wish this game would ease up on the running around and talking parts. I don't mind the story so far but these conversations really drag out, and the "stealth" sections are incredibly easy and I don't even really get why they are there. I just want to drill giant robot monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

DrManiac posted:

I actually don't mind those since the story in these types of games tend to be negligible at best (sans soul sacrifice I guess). It's clumsy but at least they're trying something.

Any general combat advice? I just got to code 3 and still feel like I'm doing bad in missions. I generally try to pull the abductor down by the leg and wail on it's arms. my machine gun doesn't seem to do enough damage to let me pick apart limbs at a distance.

With guns my first target is always weapons. so if they have rocket launchers, machine guns, laser cannons, I aim for those first, mainly for parts but also to get rid of their most dangerous stuff. My sniper has about 1.2k damage on it (I'm also Code 5 at this point) so I can just take pot shots at it, but with a machine gun I assume it takes longer. I recommend rushing upgrades on stuff you like, I haven't personally farmed for stuff yet but I would say do it if you feel your stuff isn't up to par.

with my polearm I tend to lock on to the shoulders and neck, and if they have the shield piece that is instantly my first target. My basic set up is grapple, air attack, grapple, repeat till out of thorn meter, but that is most likely not the best way to do it. I also tend to use the light attack charge where I throw it like a javelin, that sometimes staggers them, but its best when they fall over and you can just skewer them from head to toe literally, as it hits multiple times as it goes through them.

If you use the binding thorn (the red one) the 2nd level charge is really good when you need something to just stop moving, just note that all thorn charges lv.2 have a cooldown timer.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Lavastine posted:

Anyone up for some Co Op, me and a couple goons are running a room. Join us in irc or add and message me in PSN: Lavastine.

Don't think I'll be able to join you right now, but I would love to join up with other goons or whenever for some co-op. PSN: Jazz_Jeager, maybe we should make a master post of "People who don't mind sharing their PSN"?

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 30, 2014

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I kinda wish there was a dub, because GEB's dub was hilarious.

:byodood: Get out of my line of fire! :byodood:
Don't expect me to say 'thank you' :c00lbert:

That voice has to be my favorite voice in GEB ever. God that dub was so bad and yet amazing at the same time.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I managed to get one from a supply box in-mission, thing's loving GREAT. It allows me to be terrible with polearms but still sever easily! Great!

Just noticed this item today when I noticed I could sever with my pole arm. Does anyone know if they get used up or degrade? From what I can tell I dont think they do.

Oh, I also found that you can pole vault with the pole arm. Just dash and hit Triangle while dashing to pole vault. It gets you some decent height and it is stylish as hell.

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 30, 2014

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Well I got to that Code 5 optional mission with the spider and tiger thing, let me tell ya I'm just getting my rear end handed to me hard. Also if you give up and your Accessory is stuck in a abductor, it considers it a capture and you still have to go save it. gently caress.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Thanks for the advise, I'll be sure to try that out.

In the mean time, anyone know where I can find a decent source for drop tables and such? Assuming of course that they exist yet.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
So I can't believe that scatter strategy worked, thanks again for that tip. Jesus Christ these option missions can be insanely bullshit sometimes, or at the very least feel like it.

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 1, 2014

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Eponymous posted:

Can anyone confirm that you eventually get the ability to remove modules? I read that somewhere.

I actually just found the NPC that let's you, so yes, you can. I'm currently CODE 6, so I assume you have to be that to get that option.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Policenaut posted:

So can anyone explain what prestiging weapons does? Once they hit Level 5 you're allowed to "upgrade to an advanced model" but start again at Level 1, but I have no idea what they mean by "advanced model". I love that Katze full-auto rifle and lucked into making one with six module slots, but if it's going to turn it into a different type of rifle like the triple-burst one then I don't want that.

edit: Never mind, gave it a try on a weapon I was using just to upgrade a facility. Lets you upgrade to a new model of the same weapon with your choice of either a straight power ceiling upgrade or branch out into an elemental version of that upgraded weapon. Seems kinda neat.

The only thing I noticed about the basic advanced model is that you go back a bit of damage and by level 3 you should surpass the basic level 5 damage, and you also get Impact Percent Damage, which if you used a big weapon is great because impact determines how quickly you knock over Abductors when you smack them in the legs. If it does anything else I don't know. The other options seem to be elemental upgrade paths, and I have never seen the function of my weapons change by going to the advanced model.

On an unrelated note, the Code 7 exam has to be the hardest and most hype moments for me in this game. This game nails presentation really well.

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 1, 2014

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Awesome! posted:

there was one section around code 2/3 that was like an hour+ block of storyline bullshit and cell garden sneaking and i wanted to kill myself but I'm in code 4 now and the storyline sections are much shorter so hopefully they stay that way

Yeah the early part of the game is running around and talking for way too long. Thankfully when that ends it ends, and the game moves nicely afterwords.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

ChazTurbo posted:

Anyone want to free some wars when they have free time? My psn is Presidentor.

I wouldn't mind liberating some wars. I'll send you a friend request, my PSN is Jazz_Jeager.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

beergod posted:

So is goon consensus to pick this up or not? Generally like anime, never played Monster Hunter.

My personal tastes in MH has been up and down a ton, I can't speak for all goons, but the general opinion seems to be "flawed but extremely fun". Feel free to correct me folks.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Static Rook posted:

When facing the spider abductor, if you take out its head it can't do that spin move anymore. Made things much easier. And if you take out the small launchers on the top of its legs it won't shoot all those small webs. Not sure if there's a way to make it stop jumping, that move killed me the most so far.

EDIT

The head only took 2 clips from my Level 5 assault rifle to take out so it's not that strong

Strange, I always shoot the head off but it will spin for days for me. Also are those pods resistant to piercing damage? Because I use a sniper and a polearm and never have I ever broken those missile pods.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
You know this game does a great job of reminding you that your Accessory is this really loving creepy robot that is stalking you 100% of the time just to make sure you aren't breaking rules; effectively being another set of eyes for the higher ups. Ergo I have come to really not enjoy my accessory's presence around me, but god drat if I am not super determined to save them when they get stolen. It may be a creepy robot, but it's my creepy robot dammit!

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
I think I am either missing something, or the game is missing a codex or something, because jesus christ I cannot tell what missions have the exact mk version of what I need, and I have no idea what piece or requirement will get me pieces of materials that I need for upgrading and it is infuriating. Anyone know how I can tell what missions will give me the exact stuff I need?

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Emalde posted:

Press Select when highlighting the mission. If you've completed it, it lists all possible enemies and resources you can gather.

Thanks a ton! That really helps me out.

Twibbit posted:

kinda wish they got rid of all the in game references to customizing your accessory's voice since they removed that from NA, heck even the menu descriptions still make reference to the text to voice feature.

I was wondering why I could not find that feature at all. Which was really confusing because I was not only told about it in game but also saw it a few times via promo videos.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
I guess this is a thing we are doing now, I'm ok with this.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah. The translation side of things is great, characterisation and whatnot is fine, but the rest of the localisation is kinda iffy. They didn't bother to edit any textures, so the UI still says "IBARA" instead of "THORN", tutorials still have Japanese screenshots etc, they cut the Accessory voice-synth stuff despite the developers talking about how it would work fine for English (and with a lack of dub probably would have helped rather than having to look down at the subtitles all the time during combat), the PA announcements are on obvious sticking point, and there's been a couple of outright string mistakes, one dialogue option I had was ##ERROR## and I've seen the "rewards from this mission" screen go out off the right screen boundary.

It shits me, because I'd expect that kinda crap from NISA not Sony, but the rest of the game is so fun that I can look past it.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that these flaws exist, but this is easily the most fun I have had with a hunting game. Hopefully this does well enough here that if some sort of sequel or whatever is made, they do a better job about localizing it. Hopefully.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
So I'm at code 7, and my stuff is doing...ok damage I think. My Spear has an attack of 800-ish and my sniper has about 1.3k. Am I set to keep moving forward through to code 8, or should I get some upgrades?

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 3, 2014

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Really Pants posted:

:stare:

That's about twice as strong as the weapons that got me through CODE 7, so you should be able to squeak by.

Oh, ok then cool, good to know. Not having any prespective on weapon damage makes it hard to tell if I am doing any good numbers wise.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you haven't tried severing the turret on top of the artillery abductors when it does the spinning attack then I suggest you do that now.

I do that all the time and it is still hilarious. Thank you Freedom Wars, it's the little things that get you through tough missions.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

RentACop posted:

gently caress that code 7 exam. It only took two tries but it was the single most unpleasant time I've had in the game so far. A gaggle of stunlocking adds that she runs around reviving if you go down. If there's an evil ending to this game I'm picking it now (I know there isn't)

I actually barely manage to beat that Exam myself on my first try. I was literally on my last life and I almost hosed up. I also had to exploit her AI to win but as bullshit as that exam gets, I personally still kinda enjoyed it. Guess I'm a masochist.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Mithaldu posted:

gently caress. That solo mission at the start of Code 6 is the worst thing out of many games I have played recently. Three attempts and the randomly spawning enemies combine with the hilariously lovely corridor shooter mechanics of this game to nothing but failure.

Edit: Haha, wow, gently caress the person who designed this level, and every subsequent person who did not slap the first one in the face for this atrocity. After muddling through by way of dying near the exit, and having all the enemies decide to run away, the end result is zero plot advancement, only a "come later" message.

Yeah I feel like the plot had to get shafted for the sake of the budget, which is a drat shame because the premise had a ton of potential. Hopefully if there is ever a sequel they can afford to flesh it out a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Luminaflare posted:

So is there a specific panopticon everyone's using or should I just choose whatever.

I'm on Toronto, can't say the same for everyone else.

Also does anyone know if I can remove negative attributes on weapons? Or just in general? I finally got a rarity 8 late bloomer weapon and it has "Elemental Damage Down (s)" or something like that.

• Locked thread