Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any goon impressions yet? I was excited for this but heard middling things from people who imported the Japanese version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How is this compared to tokiden? with the $30 price point and instant amazon codes I'm thinking about jumping in since I have leftover trade in credits.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

animaCartographer posted:

Been messing around with the weapons and such. No idea how modifying actually works, but I think Im getting stuff out of it. The Drill spear is amazing and I love the running attack for it, and for guns I've been leaning towards this sniper rifle I have.

I really wish this game would ease up on the running around and talking parts. I don't mind the story so far but these conversations really drag out, and the "stealth" sections are incredibly easy and I don't even really get why they are there. I just want to drill giant robot monsters!

I actually don't mind those since the story in these types of games tend to be negligible at best (sans soul sacrifice I guess). It's clumsy but at least they're trying something.

Any general combat advice? I just got to code 3 and still feel like I'm doing bad in missions. I generally try to pull the abductor down by the leg and wail on it's arms. my machine gun doesn't seem to do enough damage to let me pick apart limbs at a distance.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think my problem was that I was just playing this too much like the sword and board hunting games I'm used to. Guns are actually pretty good at taking out weapons and you can actually latch on to a limb and directly damage it that way.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

speaking of crunchy, this is the best hunting game of the ones I played in terms of how fun it is to break parts. I love severing arms and breaking the enemies dumb giant missile launchers and plasma cannons into pieces. I wish hunting games in general would stop bullshitting and let you sever legs completely though.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 31, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

When should I bother with the weapon stuff outside of just upgrading? I'm code 4 and the stuff I can actually make is pretty much on par with what I can buy

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

beergod posted:

So is goon consensus to pick this up or not? Generally like anime, never played Monster Hunter.

Of the hunting games I played on my vita so far I think freedom wars is the best gameplay-wise imo. It's fast, the thorn mobility stuff is fun and the guns actually feel useful.

I'm not in the post game yet but so far it's about a 8/10. It's worth the $30, especially if you're starved for a better than mediocre non-port on the vita like me.

[e] What's the post-release content looking like? I know the English version came with a big patch, but are they still planning on adding stuff monthly like soul sacrifice?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Gravy train I guess.

I wanted to do roger smith and Dorothy but there's no dress :(

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man gently caress these you alone vs 20 dudes with guns missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow this last battle is obnoxious as gently caress the first two missions are reasonable but the last battle with the abductor that has chains that knocks everybody away can gently caress off

• Locked thread