Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
:siren: HOW TO JOIN PLEASE BE CAREFUL/DRAGONGOD KNIGHTKINGS :siren:

Try the FREE TRIAL or RECRUIT A FRIEND

Last updated April 3

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN
Available for PC, PS3 and PS4 Also available on Steam, soon available for OS X
Official site: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/
Account management: http://sqex.to/Msp
Goon off-site: http://ffgoons.com
IRC: #ffgoons on SynIRC

After a year and a half and five major content updates, we're currently in the intermission before the first expansion, Heavensward, but the community is still healthy and growing. As a new player, now's the best time to join and complete all the prerequisites so you can jump straight into Heavensward on day 1.

If you're still on the fence about joining, why not try the 14-day free trial?

The Armoury System is FFXIV's character progression system. In this game, your class is determined by your equipped weapon, and you can change your weapon anywhere in the overworld; this includes crafting and gathering, which are their own classes, have their own abilities and gear, and even have special class-defining equipment at maximum level. You can level up every class to maximum level, and a selection of the skills you earn as you level up a class can be used on other classes ("cross-class skills"). See the ARMOURY SYSTEM section on the official website for more information on how this works.

When a combat class reaches level 30, it has access to soul crystals, which turn your class into a job; they remove access to most cross-class skills, but in return grant five job-exclusive skills that are well-suited to group content. Your job level is tied to the associated class's level; for example, Paladin is the job associated with Gladiator, so if your Gladiator level is 37, your Paladin level is also 37.

The Armoury Bonus grants a 50% bonus to many sources of EXP for classes lower in level than your highest-level class. This makes up for the relative lack of quests for classes after your first.

For more information on the specifics of each class and job, see the Skill Tree on XIVDB.

Gladiators (GLA) use powerful sword and shield techniques to keep the attention of their enemies and survive blows that would devastate lesser beings. Gladiators act as tanks and disruptors, blinding, stunning, and disabling enemies while holding their attention with sword combos. Gladiators start in Ul'dah.

Marauders (MRD) use axes to cleave a path through the enemy's front line and protect the more fragile members of the party. Marauders tank primarily by smashing their foes' faces in and bathing in their blood. By doing so, they restore their own HP. Instead of preventing a large amount of damage like gladiators, marauders react to incoming damage by refilling their large HP pools via weapon skills and abilities. Marauders start in Limsa Lominsa.

Lancers (LNC) use all manner of two-handed pole arms to deal critical blows to their enemies. Lancers is a straightforward damage class, sacrificing defense for attack power to deal heavy damage, and fighting while moving around the target in order to gain access to combo bonuses. Lancers start in Gridania.

Rather than traditional combos, Pugilists (PGL) utilize stance changes that give them flexibility in their combo chains. Pugilists abilities grant them increasing amounts of Greased Lightning, a buff that is the result of some of their weapon skills. Greased Lightning increases attack speed and damage while lowering the global cooldown, allowing Pugilists to unleash attacks faster than most classes. Pugilists start in Ul'dah.

Archers (ARC) fire off arrows from afar, hindering their enemies and dealing damage from a safe distance. Archers have access to debuffing Weapon Skills and utility skills, like a group movement speed increase and a backstepping attack. Archers do not use melee-class combos, and instead rely on procs that enhance their shots. Archers start in Gridania.

Rogues (ROG) use acrobatics, misdirection and potent poisons on their dual blades to efficiently take down enemies, as well as force them to cough up extra loot. Rogue can be unlocked in Limsa Lominsa. (Players must first complete the level 10 class quest for one of the initial battle classes to unlock Rogue.)

Conjurers (CNJ) invoke elemental spirits to damage their enemies and protect their allies. Wind and earth are used mainly for offense, while the water element is used for defensive maneuvers and healing. Conjurers also have access to the Sleep status effect for crowd control. As a primary healer they are obviously a welcome addition to any party, but a great Conjurer knows how to find the perfect balance of nuking, crowd control, and healing. Conjurers begin in Gridania.

Arcanists (ACN) summon their pet Carbuncle to aid them in combat. They boast a versatile toolkit, with DoTs, debuffs, and supporting spells. Arcanist is an extremely versatile class, and depending on your party makeup they can fulfill a number of roles. Arcanist is currently also the only class with two jobs. Arcanists start in Limsa Lominsa.

Thaumaturges (THM) (thaw-maw-turj-ez) deal in death, controlling the elements of fire, lightning, and ice in order to wipe out enemy parties. To maximize their output, they need to balance their Astral Fire (increased damage and MP cost of spells) with Umbral Ice (increased MP regen, decreased damage). Thaumaturges also have great crowd control with the ability to inflict AoE sleep. Thaumaturges begin in Ul'dah.

Paladin (PLD) requires Gladiator 30 and Conjurer 15. The paladin job is focused on tanking, and gains access to abilities that enhance mitigation and threat.
Warrior (WAR) requires Marauder 30 and Gladiator 15. The warrior job is focused on tanking, and gets a "Wrath" mechanic; they can charge up a stack of charges that can be held to increase their critical hit rate, or spent to use powerful job abilities.
Dragoon (DRG) requires Lancer 30 and Marauder 15. The dragoon job is focused on damage dealing; all of their job abilities are Jumps with various additional effects.
Monk (MNK) requires Pugilist 30 and Lancer 15. The monk job is focused on dealing damage. Monks gain three new Weapon Skills, expanding their combo options, as well as a powerful damage dealing stance and range closer.
Bard (BRD) requires Archer 30 and Pugilist 15. The bard job is focused on support. Bard remains a very potent damage dealer, but its powerful songs and debuff are the real reason to want one in a party. A good bard will spend most of their time pumping out damage, while moving to restore their party's TP and MP as needed and using debuffs at critical times.
Ninja (NIN) requires Rogue 30 and Pugilist 15. Ninja builds on rogue with a ninjutsu system that combines chains of mudra to create powerful magical effects.

White Mage (WHM) requires Conjurer 30 and Arcanist 15. White mage is a job focused on healing. It's a fairly straightforward extension of conjurer, but single-target regen and Holy are good additions to its arsenal.
Black Mage (BLM) requires Thaumaturge 30 and Archer 15. Black mage is a job focused on area of effect skills, and its job skills reflect that.
Scholar (SCH) requires Arcanist 30 and Conjurer 15. The scholar job is focused on healing and support. While using the scholar soul crystal, Summon I and Summon II are modified to call fairies that provide buffs and heals.
Summoner (SMN) requires Arcanist 30 and Thaumaturge 15. The summoner job is focused on damage dealing and enhancing its pet. While using the summoner soul crystal, Summon I and Summon II are modified to call different egi, aspects of the primals.

The Disciplines of the Hand are the crafters of Eorzea:
  • Alchemists (ALC), makers of various potions, ethers and other consumables, as well as Arcanist and Conjuror weapons
  • Armorers (ARM), makers of heavy metal armor
  • Blacksmiths (BSM), makers of metal weapons and tools
  • Carpenters (CRP), makers of all things wooden
  • Culinarians (CUL), makers of food and drink that provide long-lasting buffs
  • Goldsmiths (GSM), makers of fine jewelery from precious gems and rare metals, including Thaumaturge weapons
  • Leatherworkers (LTW), who turn beast hides and sinews into medium armor
  • Weavers (WVR), makers of fabric, thread and light armor

The Disciplines of the Land are the gathering classes:
  • Botanists (BTN) gather wood, fiber and plants.
  • Miners (MIN) gather rock, ore and raw gems.
  • Fishers (FSH) gather sea creatures.

In no particular order:
  • FATEs are a Public Quest system: earn EXP, gil and seals for your Grand Company by participating in open events that appear all over the world.
  • Guildleves are repeatable quests available in the main cities and at adventuring camps, useful for supplementing the EXP you earn from other sources. You earn guildleve allowances over time and can bank up to 100.
  • The Duty Finder is an automatic party matching system that brings together players from multiple servers to complete dungeons and duties.
  • Daily Roulettes give you big bonuses for participating in a randomly-chosen duty.
  • Treasure Maps are gathered by Disciples of the Land, and point the way towards caches of rare crafting materials guarded by powerful monsters.
  • The Hunt sends you out to scout for notorious monsters, the most powerful of which require multiple cooperating alliances to take down.
  • Chocobo companions help you out with overworld combat, and can be customized both visually and with a talent tree.
  • Frontlines is city vs. city vs. city territory control PVP. The Wolves' Den is 4v4 arena PVP.
  • Housing is available for Free Companies (guilds) and individuals (both rooms inside your Free Company's house, and individual player houses).
  • Glamour prisms and dyeing let you customize your gear to appear however you wish.
  • Crystal Tower is a series of 24-man raids tuned for casual players, rewarding gear based on past Final Fantasy titles. The Binding Coil of Bahamut is a series of 8-man endgame raids that reward the most powerful gear available.
  • Challenge and Hunting Logs is a bonus for doing all the above you would anyway, FATES, Dungeons and everything else, if it can earn you XP, calibrating your behavior a little bit can change into big rewards.
  • Sightseeing Logs Enjoy the Beauty of Eorzea, by seeing the world at specific times and weather conditions
  • The Manderville Golden Saucer, featuring Triple Triad and chocobo racing, as well as other minigames and attractions

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

THE MAIN GOON GUILD

DATA CENTER PRIMAL
Excalibur Please Be Careful / Dragongod Knightkings / Third Party Tools (Webpage)
If you wish to be invited to PBC/DGKK/TPT, please register for FFgoons and follow the instructions that you can see once you're authorized. Registration for accounts less than 3 months old or with less than 10 posts may be declined; if you feel you're an exception or were incorrectly restricted, contact me.

Excalibur Goons On Trial - a linkshell for new players on the free trial. See here for information on who to contact.

(as of the most recent update)

SQUARE-ENIX posted:

During periods of high congestion, we may institute a temporary restriction on the creation of new characters.
This information will be updated at the following intervals:
4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT)

OTHER GROUPS

DATA CENTER AETHER
Cactuar Scratching Post: contact any member or apply at Mist 1st Ward #8 (outside Limsa Lominsa)
Cactuar Can't Hug Every Cat (linkshell): contact a member
Midgardsormr Konaku: apply at The Goblet 1st Ward #7 (outside Ul'dah)
Midgardsormr Stranded Goons (linkshell): contact a member

DATA CENTER PRIMAL
Exodus Principality of Zeon: apply at The Goblet 1st Ward #13 (outside Ul'dah)
Hyperion Hyperigoon (linkshell): contact a member
Leviathan Aggression: contact a Recruiter or apply at Mist 2nd Ward #15 (outside Limsa Lominsa)

If you're in a group on another server that's looking for members, PM The Chairman

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 8, 2015

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

GENERAL QUESTIONS
  • Is this game a sequel of FFXI? No. Besides elements of the setting and the Armoury system, the two games are very dissimilar; combat is much faster, travel is less onerous, there is a much higher emphasis on solo content in FFXIV, and EXP camps are no longer a viable way to level, much less the sole way. If you played FFXI and liked the setting and story but ended up frustrated with how much time you spent killing crabs, try FFXIV.

• What restrictions does the trial version have?
    • The trial is only open to new players who have not previously played the trial, participated in any beta test or already purchased the game.
    • The trial client is only available on Windows, not PS3 or PS4.
    • You may create one character per server on up to 8 servers.
    • The trial lasts 14 days. Trial characters are deleted after 90 days of inactivity
    • The level cap is Lv.20 on all classes.
    • You can carry up to 20,000 gil, and can't use the Market Boards, mail, or trade with other players.
    • You can't use zone-wide chat or send private messages to other players.
    • You can join existing linkshells (chat channels), but not Free Companies (guilds).
    • You cannot invite other players to parties, but can use the Duty Finder (automatic party matching).
    • You can't log into the community sites like The Lodestone or the official forums.
    • All these restrictions are removed if you subscribe.

• I haven't played for a long period of time. What is new? For a summary of updated features, refer to this spreadsheet; more detailed information about each patch can be found at the Lodestone's Patch Log.

• Where can I find gear upgrades? Check this spreadsheet for information.

PURCHASING AND SUBSCRIBING
  • Where can I buy the game? FFXIV is available in physical form from your friendly local retailers, in digital form from Steam, Amazon, GreenManGaming, GameStop, Square-Enix Store and others, and on the PS3/PS4 PlayStation Store. Prices vary by retailer and region.
  • How much does it cost to play? FFXIV is a subscription game. Purchasing the game gives you one free month. The service fees for additional time are:
    • Entry Service (1 character per server, 8 servers max)
      • 30 days: $12.99 / £7.69 / 10.99 € / ¥1,344 per month
    • Standard Service (8 characters per server, 8 servers max)
      • 30 days: $14.99 / £8.99 / 12.99 € / ¥1,554 per month
      • 90 days: $13.99 / £8.39 / 11.99 € / ¥1,449 per month
      • 180 days: $12.99 / £7.69 / 10.99 € per month (180 days not available in Japan)
    • Legacy Campaign Service (8 characters per server, 8 servers max, for players who subscribed for 3 months in FFXIV 1.0)
      • 30 days: $9.99 / £6.89 / 9.99 € per month
      • 90 days: $8.99 per month
      • 180 days: $7.99 per month

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
  • Do Windows, Mac, PS3 and PS4 players play on the same servers? Yes.
  • Which data center do I pick? Find the server you want to play on in this list.
    • Elemental: Aegis / Atomos / Carbuncle / Garuda / Gungnir / Kujata / Ramuh / Tonberry / Typhon / Unicorn
    • Gaia: Alexander / Bahamut / Durandal / Fenrir / Ifrit / Ridill / Tiamat / Ultima / Valefor / Yojimbo / Zeromus
    • Mana: Anima / Asura / Belias / Chocobo / Hades / Ixion / Mandragora / Masamune / Pandaemonium / Titan
    • Aether: Adamantoise / Balmung / Cactuar / Coeurl / Faerie / Gilgamesh / Goblin / Mateus / Midgardsormr / Sargatanas / Siren / Zalera
    • Primal: Behemoth / Brynhildr / Diabolos / Excalibur / Exodus / Famfrit / Hyperion / Lamia / Leviathan / Malboro / Ultros
    • Chaos: Cerberus / Lich / Moogle / Odin / Phoenix / Ragnarok / Shiva
  • Do North American, European, Asian and Oceanic players play on the same servers? Yes. There are two hosting centers: Group JP, located in Japan, and Group NA/EU, located in Montreal, Canada. However, anybody can make a character on whichever server group they want. If you're a European player, you won't see any difference in latency between the (EU) servers and the others.

• If I buy a copy for one platform, can I play my character on a different one? You need to buy a key for the platform you're playing on. If you want to play both on PC and PS4, you need to buy keys for both platforms. However, once you do, your character can be played on both. You will also receive a free month for every additional platform you activate.
  • If I already bought a PS3 copy, can I play on PS4? As of April 1, 2015, you can no longer upgrade your PS3 key for free. You'll have to buy a PS4 key.
  • I bought the standard edition for my platform. Can I buy the collector's edition later to get the upgrade? No, but you have two options: either buy the collector's edition for a different platform, or buy the digital collector's upgrade directly from S-E for $20/£15/15 €/¥2,366 depending on region.

• Should I buy a copy on Steam if I'm already a PC player? No. You won't be able to register the key to your existing account. Steam accounts count as PC activations, and you can't activate two of the same platform on the same account.
  • I bought my FFXIV key from Steam. Can I buy the upgrade to Heavensward from another store? No. Steam FFXIV accounts can only be upgraded by Steam Heavensward keys.

• I want to add a key to my account. Do I add a platform, or add a service account? Add a platform. Adding a service account makes a separate second account.
  • I didn't read this post, and I added a service account instead of a platform. How do I fix it? Fill out this Square-Enix support form.

• Where can I get the PC client? http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/playersdownload/na/. However, you must have an active account to update it.

• Should I use an authenticator? Yes. You can buy a keyfob authenticator from S-E for $11, or you can install a software authenticator on your phone or tablet (available for iOS and Android). By adding an authenticator to your account, you will get to teleport to one location of your choice for free.

STARTING OUT
  • I want to play on Excalibur, but character creation is disabled. You have a couple options: you can wait for an off-peak time (mid-week and morning EST are the best times) to make a character, or you can make a character on a different server and transfer it to Excalibur for an $18 fee. Generally, waiting is the better option. The server availability is updated at the following times:

SQUARE-ENIX posted:

During periods of high congestion, we may institute a temporary restriction on the creation of new characters.
    This information will be updated at the following intervals:
    4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT)
  • Does it matter what race I pick? Mechanically, the difference in stats at Lv.50 for any given pair of races is less than 1%. The difference between races is almost completely cosmetic.
  • Does it matter what nameday/guardian I pick? Not currently. These are cosmetic at the moment, and might be used in later updates to provide you with small bonuses like nameday presents.
  • Does the question the merchant asks me in the first cutscene matter? Your answer determines the stats of a Lv.1 ring you receive:
    • "To gain power." Ring of Fortitude (Critical Hit Rating +1)
    • "To win glory." Ring of Fidelity (Vitality +1)
    • "To amass a fortune." Ring of Fortune (CP +5)
    • "..." Ring of Freedom (Determination +1)
    The best one to choose is probably the Ring of Fortune, since CP+ gear for crafters is the hardest to find at early levels.

• How do I choose what city I start in? Your choice of starting class determines what city you start in. Refer to the class list above.
  • How many classes can I level? You can level every class. There is no cap on how many classes you can level.
  • How do I unlock a new class? Go to the receptionist at the guild whose class you want to unlock. The guildmaster will hand you a weapon; equipping it will unlock the class.
  • I went to a guild and the receptionist wouldn't give me a quest. Complete your first class's Lv.10 quest first.
  • The class I want to unlock doesn't have a guild in my city. Complete the Lv.15 story quest for your airship pass, then travel to that city.

• Which quests should I be doing? The most important quests to do are the Main Scenario quests (the ones marked with a meteor icon), since feature unlocks are tied to your main scenario progress.

FURTHER GAMEPLAY
  • What do the stats do? Hover over the stat names in your Character window for information about what they modify.
  • Where should I allocate my points? Points are allocated per class. Every class will have 30 points to allocate at level 50.
    • GLA, MRD: Vitality
    • LNC, PGL: Strength
    • ARC: Dexterity
    • CNJ: Mind
    • THM: Intelligence
    • ACN: Mind (SCH focus) or Intelligence (SMN focus)
    • ROG: Dexterity

• Where is the "flank"? The sides. Anything that isn't "front" or "back" is the "flank". You can see on the ground target circle where back ends and flank begins where the line changes thickness:

• How do I tell how much aggro/hate/enmity I have? There are two indicators that display your current enmity level.

The party frames indicate everyone's relative enmity on the currently targeted enemy:

• The "A" on the gladiator's icon indicates that the currently targeted enemy is attacking him. The numbers indicate the second, third, and fourth highest enmity.
    • The length of the small bar indicates your hate level relative to the maximum.

The enemies list indicates your relative enmity for every enemy you've engaged:

• Green circle: less than 50% of maximum enmity
    • Yellow up triangle: between 50% and 75% of maximum enmity
    • Orange down triangle: between 75% and 99% of maximum enmity
    • Red square: maximum enmity
    The length of the bars indicates each enemy's remaining HP.

• Is there a quick way of switching between gear sets? Open the Gear Set menu, then drag the name of the gear set to an open slot on any hotbar. You can now use that hotbar button to switch to the corresponding gear set.

• What is spiritbond? Spiritbond is a measure of how much EXP has been earned while the gear is equipped. Once you've maxed out the spiritbond, the item can be converted into materia (if the item has the tag "Convertible").
  • How do I make materia out of an item? The main scenario quest gives you access to materia conversion around Lv.20. Once you've unlocked conversion, right-click a piece of convertible gear with full spiritbond and select Convert.
  • Why can't I meld materia onto an item? You have to have the corresponding Discipline of Hand class to meld materia; for example, to meld materia to a Lv.25 sword, you would need Blacksmith 25. You can request a meld from someone else by right-clicking them and choosing "Request Meld", and they will attach the materia to your item without the ingredients leaving your inventory.

• How do I "initiate a leve"? Open your quest journal, select the guildleve from the list, then click the "Initiate" button. It's best to be in the area marked on the map so that you're close to it when it starts.
  • I'm trying to do this FATE, but I can't attack anything. You're over-leveled for the FATE. Click the LEVEL SYNC button in the quest tracker to sync down to its level.
  • Is there a gear calculator I can use to figure out my optimal equipment? Yes.

UNLOCKS
  • When can I start doing dungeons? The first dungeon is Sastasha, available at level 15 and unlocked by doing the main scenario quests.

• When do I get a mount? Once you can join a city's Grand Company, which happens around Lv.20 in the main scenario quest, you can spend 2,000 Company Seals to purchase a chocobo from your GC's quartermaster.
  • How do I make my mount fight alongside me? Complete the Lv.30 quest "My Feisty Little Chocobo" from Camp Tranquil, Central Shroud.
  • Where do I purchase the Gysahl Greens to summon my mount for battle? Besides the vendor in Camp Tranquil, they can be purchased from Maisenta (New Gridania 11, 11), Bango Zango (Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks 9, 11), and Roarich (Ul'dah, Steps of Nald 10, 9).

• I see other people re-coloring their armor. How do I do that? On a Lv.15 or higher class, bring a bottle of orange juice to Vesper Bay in Western Thanalan. Buy the orange juice from the Potwatch in Ul'dah: Steps of Thal.
  • How do I put a Free Company seal on my armor? Go to the OIC Officer-of-Arms in the Grand Company associated with your FC. (For PBC, this is Ul'dah. For DGKK, Limsa Lominsa. Check the Free Company window for other FCs.)
  • How do I get additional storage space? When can I list things on the market boards? Complete the Lv.17 story quest. Once you've completed the first three story dungeons, you'll be given access to retainers. Go back to any city's shopping district and look for a "two heads" icon for the retainer desk, where you can unlock, name and customize the appearance of your retainers.

WHO IS THIS YOSHI P I KEEP HEARING ABOUT?

Yoshi P is Naoki Yoshida, the head producer and director of Final Fantasy XIV; the long and short of it is he's a pretty cool dude who likes western MMOs and is especially passionate about making FFXIV a good game. He took over the game after Hiromichi Tanaka, the former producer, was displaced from the position and Square Enix decided that the Final Fantasy name was too important to allow such a terrible game as 1.0 exist. He likes to have a personal interaction with the player base, and has a habit of showing off concept art and new content in unusual ways:

Counterpoint from the official forums: You should know that Yoshi P is a filthy liar and is ruining this game more with every passing day, his lies continue to compound an ever expanding testament to the failure of FF14!!! Bring back Tanaka!!!

IN CONCLUSION
  • I have a question about a more advanced topic, like crafting or the endgame. Your best bet is taking a look at the compilation of resources available on our offsite forum, FFgoons.
  • What is a yalm? Three fulms, or 36 ilms.
  • Should I be hasty and reckless? No. Please be careful.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 18, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Last updated 5/26/2015
FF14's first Expansion has been announced:

Release: June 23rd, 2015 Early Access June 19th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okypXypR80U

Heavensward features new zones, airships as only final fantasy can do them, dragons, dragon people, battling against gods and demons, politics between nations and an all powerful gun based empire waiting to strike and complete it's conquest of the world as we know it. It will raise the level cap from 50 to 60, introduce new crafting systems, fashion dress up for houses, raiding content for all play styles, dress up and more new content update schedule that continues to set an industry standard for over 2 years now.

I NEED THIS WHAT DO I BUY?
Each platform you want to play Heavensward (To be further abbreviated as HW from now on) requires a copy of ARR and HW to play. This means if you play on both PS3 and PC for example you need to buy the expansion for both. If you want to get the digital bonuses from digital deluxe or collectors edition, you only need to buy one copy of that. The reasoning for the needing multiple copies apparently has to deal with licensing issues. (Presumably this means that SE gives Sony some sort of fee for the platform).

* Please note that users that play FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn on Steam will need to purchase the Steam version of FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward.

As part of the HW launch, Final Fantasy 14 is also coming to Mac computers. Please look forward to it.

Prices are Standard for $39.99 Digital Deluxe for $59.99 and Collectors for $129.99 (someone pass me the EU/PAL numbers and I'll add them) The Mac version is a two pack bundle which will include both the original ARR game and the Heavensward expansion pack. It does not include early access so do not purchase it with that intent if you're already a player.

TELL ME THE LOOTS, I NEED DRESS UPS
Here is what you get for sacrificing currency to the altar of dragons and catgirls:
Collectors edition
  • Dragon Statue
  • Art book
  • Blu-ray Cinematics Disc
  • Digital Contents - see below
Digital Deluxe and Higher
  • Fantasia Potion
  • Dark Knight Cecil Helm
  • Wind up Kain Minion
  • Gryphon Flying Mount
Pre-Order Bonus - Begins March 16th

Confirmed systems and content new to Heavensward
New Playable Race Au Ra
New Beast Races (Vanu Vanu) (The Gnath)
Alexander (summoned by Goblins) is the new raid content in the spirit of Coil of Bahamut

Aerial Mounts (Dragon)
New FC crafting systems
New raid system -

Yoshida posted:

Alexander, will have two different modes, Normal and Hard. Normal will be for the people who want to take the time to enjoy the story-line. It will be slightly easier than the current endgame raid, The Binding Coil of Bahamut. It will be easier so that the more casual type player will be able to enjoy it. But at the same time we have the hard mode which is much harder. It’s planned to be even more challenging than the Binding Coil of Bahamut.

The Stuff you really care about - New Jobs

Astrologian (AST)

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2z06p9/famitsu_paxeast_interview/ posted:

Astrologian can switch between a heal stance or a barrier stance. It's actually a bit too strong so there'll be restrictions on how often you can switch stances, a delay of some kind. Spells remain the same, their affects just change depending on stance so it's not like you'll need to juggle 2x more skills than other classes.
Names might change, but currently they're Tsukiyomi (moon reader) and Hoshiyomi (star reader).
You draw cards to buff your team. You can choose to use the card immediately, or hold and use it together with the next card. Astrologian will probably be a very busy and involving job, requiring you to think fast on your feet.

Astrologist's LB3 will be Celestial Stasis (星天停止) like in FFT, but since this is an MMO, they can't actually stop time for real. It'll seem like time stopped and suddenly everyone is at full health. It's actually quite reckless the way it was implemented.
Astrologian (AST) Intro Video

Machinist(MCH)

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2z06p9/famitsu_paxeast_interview/ posted:

Machinists, when using attachments on their rifles will become something akin to a canon. There'll be a charging animation/effect, the longer it is, the more powerful the attack is. (something like Rockman's charge shot) Moving resets the charge.
Attaching attachments is instant. If you need to be constantly on the move, don't use attachments.
Gun actions require a stacking gunpowder(or ammo) buff. Learning when to reload will be an important skill.
Machinist Intro Video

Dark Knight(DRK)

Dark knight lives on MP. They considered using HP as resource, but thought it would be too dangerous for raids, and so went with MP instead. You'll use MP to cast a darkness buff that drapes you with a darkness aura. Playstyle will revolve around maintaing that aura, using it for defence or damage.
There is level above darkness that has stronger actions and skills. It's a new style of tanking that's probably never before been seen.
Dark Knight(DRK) Intro Video

CRAFTING CRAFTING CRAFTING - Company and New Player Systems

The concept of FFXIV's armoury system is so you can be and do everything with just one character. Along the way, crafting became a little too hardcore. First, it started requiring everything to be HQ or bust. Then you it started requiring you to max-meld every piece of gear, and eventually you needed to do it for all jobs. What started as 'can be anything' twisted into 'must do everything'. While it may have been enjoyable for the really hardcore who enjoy this kind of gameplay, it pushes away the people who just want to do a simple bit of crafting now and then. With the Meister and scripts system, we're trying to get back to our core philosophy.

Same problem with Gathering, everyone ended up gathering the same thing, creating an oversupply thus making it difficult to create useful craftables for battle. In order to give more meaning to craftable gear/items and implment the next materia system, we need to control the supply of items and create differentiation between each gatherer.
It's probably terrible balance-wise to have dungeon drops always be the strongest so we're trying to change that.
With the new system, once you're at 60, you can then become an apprentice to each respective guilds' guild master. You'll gain new skills and recipes by becoming a meister/specialist. You can have more than one trademeister but there will be a delay before you're allowed to switch.
The new crafter scripts, temporarily called red and blue chips. You collect them by polishing up and raising the quality, in terms other than NQ/HQ, of some items.
For gatherers, each region will have something like folktales, their own lore and stories. You won't be able to see the new nodes unless you've already heard of these tales. These are were scripts will come in. Besides that there are also talismans that you can use to reveal these nodes.
This will include new armor for specialists:

Yoshida posted:

Yoshida: At the release of Heavensward Free Company crafting will become available. Within your Free Company housing you’ll be able to set up a sort of work shop in your basement. You may have seen visual aspects of this shown at a Producer Letter live but you’ll build a workshop in your basement. There’ll be two large categories of stuff you’ll be able to build with your Free Company, first of them being an actual house. And the second one is an airship.

I’m sure you want more information about the airships so I’ll delve a bit more into the details about that. With the building of the airship you’re not going to be picking from a list of available designs but building it from different parts. There will be four major parts which go into your Free Company ship.

For example the engine, fuel tank, the body, and then the sail that propels you and each part will have different designs as well as different capabilities. If you pick a high capability engine that has good power and a fast speed when you send your Free Company out with that high capability engine to scout based on we’ve been calling a “sky map” it can go out quickly and return fast but it’s a gas guzzler. It takes up a lot fuel. So you then add on a very large fuel tank. But because it’s so huge you lose space to store your items. Considering those different parameters that come with different parts you’ll be discussing among your Free Company members to see which parts you would need to build your ideal airship.

So that’s the first part of Free Company crafting in terms of an airship. At the start of Heavensward you’re not only able to have just one ship but you can actually build up to four ships. And those airships will be ranked. And depending on what your rank level is there will be different parts you can and cannot equip. At the start of Heavensward once you build your airship you’ll be able to send it out to scout, no passengers, just the ship goes out to try and scout. And then in a following patch you’ll then be able to board that ship and explore and find uncharted areas. And even beyond there’ll be capabilities to add combat capability so you can have sort of a battleship. So it’s going to be very major content that will become available throughout the 3.x patch series.

Once you’re able to go out and explore and travel and find those different areas in the sky you may find that some of these areas may have Notorious hardcore monsters that you can’t beat and just end up defeated and having to have to come back. Or you may find that other Free Company have already visited and trashed it and made a mess of it. Or you may end up finding a land where you can find really rare gathering items, materials that you can harvest. So there will be a lot of very interesting things you can look forward to in the 3.x series.

Recent Relevant Interviews and Previews
  • New Primal Battles (Bismark) (Ravana)
  • New Beast Races (Vanu Vanu) (The Gnath)
  • Alexander (summoned by Goblins) is the new raid content in the spirit of Coil of Bahamut
  • http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/wiki/pax_2015_interview
  • http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2z06p9/famitsu_paxeast_interview/
  • Magile's interesting FF14 HW image gallery: http://puush.me/magile/Gallery includes some shots of heavensward zones and AF armors.

Someone has done a buttload of complication work I'm not about to repeat: A gigantic google doc
There is an enormous amount of stuff in that doc that gets into more Heavensward specifics, and it's mirrored Here on FF goons because it's too drat big.

Please send me pm or just post any cool stuff about Heavensward you come across so we can add it and make it easier for people to reference things.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 27, 2015

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This game's pretty good, you guys.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

2.4 is going to be great.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Is the Rogue/Ninja going to be an update or in the Heavensward expansion?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

{{2.4}}{{Can I have it?}}

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Ahh, a new place to talk about Fracture, Atma, and Titan in.

FAT.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TARDISman posted:

It's in patch 2.4. Which is being implemented right now. It will be available for play tomorrow morning.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

TARDISman posted:

In a few hours, everyone and their mother will be starting to play ninja.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

TARDISman posted:

I will update the expansion post as we know more things for sure about it.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

TARDISman posted:

I too hate reading OPs.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm going to be so tired for Shiva.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oneavi posted:

In a few hours, everyone and their mother will be starting to play ninja.

I will be using this to my full advantage to level CNJ. I'll have Stoneskin one day, promise. :unsmith:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ground floor.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013
Can't wait to do nothing but shitpost about fracture and atma in this thread.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
As soon as 2.4 hits I'm going to do Ultros as soon as possible and I won't stop playing until I get the wind-up Ultros minion. See you soon!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Woe be unto you who tries to level a DPS class through the Duty finder during the next month.

Also recruitment code if anyone is interested: DRFG9QUW

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Systematic System posted:

I too hate reading OPs.

I missed it, my bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I need my Hildibrand, Ultros, and Greg fix. :f5:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

don't get left behind

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hildibrand is hands down the most important thing to come out of 2.4.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'll only play NIN if they give it the instant suicide move they had in 11. :colbert:

I don't even give a crap about the new classes really, I just wanna log back in and keep acquiring outfits and setting monsters on fire. :f5:

e: and Hilibrand-ing

e:e: and ultros
aaaaa

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Also a thing to note: Please do not read the official forums (or at least stay out of General Discussion and the Dungeon subforums). They are full of really stupid people who want 1.0 back, or complain about how filthy casuals are ruining their game. I read them because I hate myself, and FFXIV Forum Safari is one of the things I like to do.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Chairman posted:

(as of the most recent update)

You might want to put a note before and after this image telling people the windows for when it opens (or not). It won't stop them from asking every few pages but it might help some people. :shobon:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Why has the first page of the new thread not already been flooded with catgirl/lalafell/highlander/roegadyn pics?

Dekar
Feb 17, 2011

Soon, I can realize my dream of being a Ninja. Now I can sneak around in stealth going "Nin nin!" and not look like a moron!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't tease the octopus, kids!

(I am so ready to be Hildibrand's sidekick again)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Vil posted:

Why has the first page of the new thread not already been flooded with catgirl/lalafell/highlander/roegadyn pics?

Oops, Here's a boring picture of me sitting on a bench somewhere.

I really need to take a lot more screenshots, the game is generally really fantastic looking.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

Woe be unto you who tries to level a DPS class through the Duty finder during the next month.

Unless you know someone who hasn't leveled both tanks already who can be bribed with booze or fabulous prizes.

Also someone should make a google doc for RAF codes at this point.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zero_Tactility posted:

Don't tease the octopus, kids!

(I am so ready to be Hildibrand's sidekick again)

He is the best part of the game.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

Vil posted:

Have some elf glare.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Kwyndig posted:

He is the best part of the game.

I've yet to watch a Hildibrand cutscene, or any other cutscene for that matter, but some day I'm gonna sit down in the inn room and watch 'em all.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I like the return of the sleeping lalafell in the op. Good choice.

Recruitment code for people who want some extra exp: VGMGF6HK

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ive got 3 masters level final tests tomorrow :negative:

Also my harddrive died so now I have to redownload the entire client. Which wouldn't be so bad if my authenticator hadn't glitched locking me out of the account and whose quick unlink password was on my dead hard drive.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Roegadames~

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Can't even play until after work tomorrow. This is the worst patch ever.

Cialis Railman
Apr 20, 2007

Well, I guess it's time to get back into this, huh?

Hell I bought 180 days, might as well use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

This game is really awesome and runs really well on PS4.

If you want to play this game use a recruitment code! You get an XP bonus and you make someone very happy

Fat Slampig- GJ9M9K9W
Griever- 8KS35Z8U
Gally- Z6MAM7X9
QQmore- 9QY25FPN
Daner T- J9XW9JTD
Sidesaddle Cavalry- S8UTZ7UE
Killsion- XFUKGS6K
Systematic System- HWWRV9K9
Gigantoad- JE3UFHEY
Argas- BJD8TAT8
FortMan- MEUSMCPM
DapperDuck- BGD7PKR3