Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BEEAARR!!
Nov 9, 2004

Someone got hit
in the boingloins!

Hit in the boingloins!
Boingloins! Boingloins!
Someone got hit in them!
I'm just..gonna leave this recruitment code here: 9HFQ44GQ

I keep getting screwed with this recruitment system. The friends I got to join that want to stick around came before they added it and the ones I got to join after that all flaked out before their 3rd month payment. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Iron Tusk posted:

That particular raid boss spoils the entire story of HW.

Yeah. The trial has a description that lays out the entire arc of the plot in broad strokes. I clicked on it, saw about five words, and closed it before I could read much more.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

rip perfect dodge
I think I actually like it better because now the duration is reasonable and it sounds like it works on magic damage?

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone datamined yet how far into HW we have to get to unlock the new jobs? I'm beginning to think I'm gonna go straight to DRK instead of doing the MSQ as a DRG because I am hopelessly indecisive. :(

According to the patch notes, immediately.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

Just be careful about not repeating the name here, then, I suppose.

Has anyone datamined yet how far into HW we have to get to unlock the new jobs? I'm beginning to think I'm gonna go straight to DRK instead of doing the MSQ as a DRG because I am hopelessly indecisive. :(

iirc the patch notes said you only need to have the 2.55 quests done to unlock them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well that's super. As much as I want to dive straight in to HW, maybe doing DRK first will have the advantage of letting people get information on dungeons, quests, etc for me. I'm not much of an explorer :v:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Like it's probably 1-2 quests at most to get inside the city of Ishgard and once there you're free to just go find a new job NPC and gently caress off for a bit getting to 50 again before you go back to the story.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Yeah, the only listed quest requirement for the new jobs is Before The Dawn.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I was going to do SCH first, but since I have a friend who wants to go hard DRK it makes sense to level AST along with him to see how badly DRK/AST/MCH/MCH dungeons go when the dps don't know their combos at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Axle_Stukov posted:

Manawall got the same nerf, seems like they decided "100% ignore a physical based boss mechanic" was too good.

I'm crying

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I forgot perfect dodge existed

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Klades posted:

I think I actually like it better because now the duration is reasonable and it sounds like it works on magic damage?

:agreed: but also because I suck at timing dodge and get the buff after getting smacked latency issues. I like it more just out of being a general survivability buff instead of a 'get out of one big (physical) aoe free' card.

Athray
Jul 2, 2010
Where's my cursed haubergeon set glamour so I can be a transplanted edgelord from XI.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Belzac posted:

Paging Jotaro, my cute little newbie I RAFed. How much time do you currently have subbed?

Mine hopped off after a single month! I offered to make him gear and run him through dungeons any time. At least I got the circlet.

RIP Sabre Denton (2014-2014)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

fadam posted:

Dang, people on GAF and Reddit are getting upset because someone spoiled a raid boss. I've never seen people get tight about MMO content spoilers before.

I mean, it's a MMO, but it's also a full-scale JRPG. We haven't really had a MMO with a story worth caring about before, aside from Final Fantasy XI - WoW certainly doesn't count at this point, if it ever did.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I wonder what happened to my RAF also. I got the chocobo which was awesome. Hopefully he's still playing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Mine hopped off after a single month! I offered to make him gear and run him through dungeons any time. At least I got the circlet.

RIP Sabre Denton (2014-2014)

{Same} :sigh:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You guys are all under arrest for datamining and sharing data mined info when Yoshi-P asked you nicely.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Captain Oblivious posted:

It isn't. The 3.0 patch notes refer to Balmung as one of the weapons added to Aelina's inventory. It's the DRK Primal Focus weapon.

This. It looks great though so I'm stoked to see the AST/MCH counterparts.

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 18, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm sorry for not reading the last few pages, but when do the servers go down for the update, and when are they expected back up for us non-preorder plebs (or is there still time for me to pre-order to get early access?)

I fell so short of all my pre-HW goals...don't have my Ironworks weapon, haven't finished T9 (forget about T10-13)...

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I'm sorry for not reading the last few pages, but when do the servers go down for the update, and when are they expected back up for us non-preorder plebs (or is there still time for me to pre-order to get early access?)

I fell so short of all my pre-HW goals...don't have my Ironworks weapon, haven't finished T9 (forget about T10-13)...

Servers are already down, they come up again at 2 AM PST.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
They've been down for a while, and back up in 12 hours.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Good because all that poo poo will be a lot easier and take half the time now and also be obsolete

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Servers are supposed to be back up around 2am pst/5am est. Though they have a record of being up earlier then scheduled so I know i'm getting up at 4 AM. Also Yoshi said in today's live letter if you can get a preorder code and punch it in you should be able to join the early access.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I've been trying out the free trial for a few days now and so far the game has been enjoyable. Although this is probably the worst time to get started with the new expansion coming up.

The arcanist is fun, I get a cute fat celestial squirrel pet but I completed the lv 10 quest and its letting me unlock all the other classes. Out of curiosity how are you supposed to level those classes? You already finished your quests and you start off at level 1.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Velveteen posted:

I've been trying out the free trial for a few days now and so far the game has been enjoyable. Although this is probably the worst time to get started with the new expansion coming up.

The arcanist is fun, I get a cute fat celestial squirrel pet but I completed the lv 10 quest and its letting me unlock all the other classes. Out of curiosity how are you supposed to level those classes? You already finished your quests and you start off at level 1.

You get a +50% XP bonus for any classes that are below the level of your highest level class, (It'll be changing to 100% when the servers come back up), so it's pretty much "Do your level one quest, do your Hunting Log to level 5, do your level 5 quest, and then maybe a FATE or two and you'll be caught up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Velveteen posted:

Guildleves, your hunting log, FATEs, and dungeon runs

Plus there's a 50% (soon to be 100%) XP bonus for leveling any class that is lower than your highest level one

e;fb

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Velveteen posted:

actually the time is great because they're going to shower you in newbie catchup mechanics.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Velveteen posted:

Dungeons, hests, hunting log, leves, FATEs.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Does anyone who is rocking a PS3 copy of the game know what the size of the game is? I'm thinking about swapping drive for a ssd but I'm not looking to get a crazy size for it, just something that would decent for FFXIV.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 18, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Anybody else having an issue with their preorder code being invalid? I bought the xpac from the Square store, and got one code which, when redeemed, took me here:

The code THAT page gave me is supposed to be entered on the Mogstation, but this happens when I do:

I know I'm inputting the codes in the right spots, I triple checked, and all google gives me is people buying the xpac from Greenman and it loving up.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Velveteen posted:

Leves start at lvl 1 but for combat classes you can get by on hunting log xp until lvl 5. And if you have a class at a higher level class you get double xp until you hit 50. Leveling new classes usually goes way faster than your original one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FrancoFish posted:

Anybody else having an issue with their preorder code being invalid? I bought the xpac from the Square store, and got one code which, when redeemed, took me here:

The code THAT page gave me is supposed to be entered on the Mogstation, but this happens when I do:

I know I'm inputting the codes in the right spots, I triple checked, and all google gives me is people buying the xpac from Greenman and it loving up.

What is the name of the page that you're entering it on, specifically? You should be entering the preorder code into the page where the title is something like "Enter Early Access Code." The actual Heavensward CD key is entered in on a different page.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vermain posted:

What is the name of the page that you're entering it on, specifically? You should be entering the preorder code into the page where the title is something like "Enter Early Access Code." The actual Heavensward CD key is entered in on a different page.

"preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com/na" is the site for the code that I got in my email on purchase, which provided me another code to be redeemed on the mogstation. I provided screenshots to be sure it was clear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velveteen posted:

FF14 shares a lot in common with WoW, but one thing it doesn't share is that it doesn't fully follow the paradigm of "do quests forever for leveling". For other classes, you're expected to level through FATEs, leves, and dungeons.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

FrancoFish posted:

"preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com/na" is the site for the code that I got in my email on purchase, which provided me another code to be redeemed on the mogstation. I provided screenshots to be sure it was clear.

Yeah but are you entering your pre-order code into the Heavensward key page on mogstation, or the pre-order/early access page on mogstation?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Flagrama posted:

Yeah but are you entering your pre-order code into the Heavensward key page on mogstation, or the pre-order/early access page on mogstation?

I'm entering it on the page that I end up on when I press the big "REDEEM CODE FOR THE EXPANSION HERE" button.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I see now there is a smaller button to the side for pre order early access codes specifically. Why the gently caress is that not the big red button on the top? Square's account services system is loving terrible.

Thanks for the insight goons.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Velveteen posted:

Expanding on what others have said there's duty roulettes which throws you into a random dungeon you've completed or a guildhest you've unlocked and completing it gives additional bonus EXP for doing so. This bonus EXP scales to your level and for dungeons the level of that dungeon against your current level (so even the low level dungeons still give you decent EXP compared to the higher level ones because the bonus makes up what you didn't get through killing mobs / the boss). Doing these roulettes once a day gives a pile of EXP but you need to be level 16 to use the sub-level 50 ones.

e2: To be clear, the guildhests roulette unlocks at level 10 or 15 (guildhests unlock at 10, and every 5 levels after until 40). The low level dungeon roulette unlocks at 16 once you can do the first two dungeons of the game (lv15 & 16 content, and there's a third right after at 17)
/e2

Once you hit level 15 there's also the challenge log which is just a weekly things to do list and doing so gets you % of EXP to the current class' next level. For example one weekly challenge is to complete three dungeons through a dungeon roulette. The third dungeon you complete gives the dungeon EXP, roulette bonus EXP, and then the challenge log EXP(30% of total EXP to next level or so?). You can only do each challenge once until it resets on Tuesday but it can help a ton.

e: Each class can also get a first time completion bonus on all guildhests. It isn't significant but if you're a tank or healer with fast queues it's usually worth doing them.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, levels 1-10 can be done very rapidly through kill chain bonuses. Get a friend with you in a party and get ridiculous chain bonuses and just watch your bar fill up. A group of 2 people with or without chocobros can just murder things 2-3 levels above them and it rains experience on you at that level if you're quick about it.

• Locked thread