Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm working on a new OP since Karn seems to be MIA.

Take a look over this, I've cleaned up a lot of old information. What else should I list? Is there anything blatantly wrong in here?

Also, what's the last we heard of the functionality of Mercenaries?

quote:

Hex is now officially out of beta! You can sign up and start playing here: https://hextcg.com/client-download/

Post 2: Guild information
Post 3: Introduction for Magic the Gathering players

What is Hex? Hex is what is being called an MMOTCG. That is, it is a digital game that combine elements of MMOs and collectible card games (CCGs). It is made by Hex Entertainment (HXE, which is part of Cryptozoic Entertainment, notably the makers of the WoWTCG, which was probably the second most successful adult-focused TCG after Magic: The Gathering for quite some time. They make other games, like some licensed stuff that niche/hobby gamers usually don't care about, and a couple fun ones that they do like Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre and Gravwell. They’re also been putting out more deck builders lately

So how is it an MMO? Good question! HXE is dividing gameplay into PvP and PvE play. In PvE, you’ll go on mission chains with divergent paths, build you champions, and level your hero. Eventually, there will be Guild support, multi-person raids, and much more! There are a ton of features around these elements, and many will be discussed below.

I don’t care about the PvE stuff, is this game still for me? What’s wrong with you?! Well, the PvP is pretty comparable to Magic the Gathering, so if you want to play a game like Magic that is cheaper and takes better advantage of the digital space, you might find Hex to your liking.

Aren't TCG's really expensive? They can be. Hex has a couple things going for it on this front. First, PvE is free-to-play. While you'll be able to buy PvE cards and equipment from the auction house for gold (earned in PvE, or purchased with platinum) or platinum (purchased with cash), the game is being designed so that you can progress through play, building up your deck and equipment as you go. As to PvP play, you will need to spend some money. Hex booster packs are going to retail at $2, and it's reasonable to assume that you'll be able to buy them from the auction house for <$2. If you want to be super competitive Hex WILL cost you more cash than an LCG like Netrunner. It will also be cheaper than keeping up with Magic.

If I decide to cash out, can I sell my cards for real dollars on the AH? No. This is a legal nightmare and HXE doesn't want to mess with it. They've essentially said that they do not plan on regulating the secondary market, so they aren't going to clamp down on you for selling your cards. I would expect to see retailers like MTGO Traders crop up. You'll probably also see some Cardshark type site to facilitate selling to other users. Selling Platinum (the premium currency) for cash is frowned upon as well.

I heard the game is being sued/shut down by Hasbro (Wizards of the Coast). There was a (mostly frivolous) lawsuit, but the parties settled out of court with very few changes to the game. The future is safe for Hex.

So how does the game play? Hex uses many traditional CCG and LCG mechanics but innovates by doing things that can only be done in a digital space (modifying cards in your deck, creating new cards and shuffling them into your opponent’s deck). If you’re familiar with Magic the Gathering, you should skip down to the second post and see the information for players moving over from Magic. In a game of Hex, your starting life depends on which champion you pick (see below), with a fairly large range. You’ll play resource cards called “shards” to cast spells and summon troops. You’ll use these to attempt to reduce your opponent’s life to 0 and win the game. You can also win if your opponent needs to draw a card and there are none left in their deck. Finally, several cards have their own unique win conditions.

Hex is also notable for having champions, special characters that represent you in a game. Each champion has a charge ability that they can use to affect the game, along with a different starting life total. Playing resources and certain other cards will build up charges over the course of each game. Champion abilities range wildly and help support your deck design. You’ll have access to all PvP champions as soon as you start playing. You’ll also be able to build up your own PvE champion who cannot be used in PvP.

What is PvP? PvP is divided among free play games where you can be matched against random opponents or challenge specific people. There is currently no match-making system. You can also play a competitive match for prizes (there is a platinum entry fee). This will be a series of games either swiss (play 3 games no matter what) or single elimination. Larger tournaments are generally held by community sites, but Hex recently finished the qualifiers of its $100,000 tournament.

You can play sealed as well. In this format you will open 6 packs and make a 40 card (minimum) deck out of them. You’ll then play the other people in your sealed pool for prizes. Currently sealed queue rarely go off. Expect this to change once the release cycle gets going and sets get pre-release/release queues.

For those with less available time, the Gauntlet is an asynchronous tournament, where you can play a game and still progress in the tournament. Your Gauntlet is finished when you either win 5 times, or lose 3. This is available in both Sealed and Constructed flavors.

You can play the computer too, but the AI is not yet as high a quality opponent as a human, but you can test how your deck runs against a decent opponent in the Proving Grounds.

What is PvE? PvE is the Free to Play portion of Hex. All PvP cards are allowed in PvE, but PvE cards are not allowed in PvP. Though, don't worry if you don't have a big collection. Many cards are gated by level, so the longer-term players can't just steamroll everything.

Ultimately, PvE has a whole host of exciting features, with more on the way. You’ll clear dungeons with branching paths earning cards and equipment (discussed below), and eventually crafting materials as well.

Significantly, PvE will be divorced from PvP content. The cards you earn in PvE can only be used in PvE (though you can use any PvP cards in PvE). The champions you’re building up will only be used in PvE. All of this is designed with the intent that HXE can put wacky game bending cards into PvE without damaging the viability of competitive constructed play. There may be some friendly PvE vs mode in the future where you’ll be able to play your crazy, busted-rear end deck against other crazy, busted-rear end decks. You can tell PvE cards from PvP cards by the large golden detailing on the upper left of the card, which PvP cards lack.

The PvE currency is gold, which is earned by playing the PvE content. You’ll want gold to roll chests, craft, and do other things. Many people will convert gold to platinum or vice versa in the game's trade channels. You can sell your gold for plat, or buy stardust (used to Full-Art your cards), PvP/E cards, and equipment with it. Anything sold for platinum can also be bought with gold, so cunning market players may be able to make a profit playing the Gold/Plat markets.

Upcoming PvE elements are:

RAIDS: Clearing the dungeon will open up a 3 man raid where you and a pair of friends and/or goons can build specialty decks to take on a crazy raid boss. Want to see what raids are like? Here’s a HXE piece on one of the upcoming raid bosses (http://hextcg.com/dragon-slaying/).

MERCENARIES: Mercenaries will act as party members, giving you support from the back. [SOMEONE REMIND ME WHAT WE LAST HEARD ABOUT MERCS, TIA]

What cool features differentiate Hex? Oh man, this is the super exciting part. Hex is embracing being a digital card game like none before it and they’re leveraging being digital only into some cool features.

Socketing – Bling out your cards! Some cards have sockets. You can put gems into these sockets to modify the abilities of your cards. Gems come in two flavors (major and minor). You have access to all the gems, though a single deck can only play 4 of a specific gem. Gems require you to have thresholds of their associated color to turn on – so no putting Sapphire flying gems in your mono-Ruby agro deck. It sounds like we may get new gems from time to time, and it’s unclear if they’ll add to or replace the current gems, but this is what we have for now.

Gear up with equipment! In PvE you can earn equipment for your champion to wear. Like cards, equipment has varying rarities, and some will only drop from specific raid bosses or dungeons. You can use equipment to modify specific cards. You have limited slots for your equipment, so you’ll need to decide if you want to go in deep on a specific card or if you want to tweak several with single pieces.

Economy: Hex has a functioning Auction House that sells nearly everything available in game for both Platinum (the premium currency, $1=100p) and gold (earned via PvE)

Features still coming:
Double Backs – flip that poo poo! Since the cards in Hex are virtual objects, they can have multiple “backs.” Flipping the card once will show its back, but you can flip it again to see the Double Back. Double Backs track card stats (tournament wins, damage dealt, etc.). Cards will level up with use and ultimately transform into full art versions (Foiling may or may not happen, it depends on whether they come up with a version that looks good digitally).

Guild: Hexagoon related info will go here. Again, [Karnegal] will reserve the name as soon as they let me (I think being a Grand King let's me get in earlier than lower tiers). This will grow to include more info as guilds are implemented

Getting Started:
When you start, you'll get a card pool of 200 untradable cards. Do not buy the starter decks that HXE offers, you can get them for cheaper by buying the parts, or asking goons for some commons. Go ahead and run the tutorial or start the campaign to start getting gold!

Need Cards? : Join the Guild and/or Ask goons! See Post 2
What should I buy/sell at?: This site will give you all the data you need to make informed auction house decisions http://hexsales.net/search

Links: Goon streamers, useful sites, etc. (Ask to be added here if you stream or have a site)
http://www.hexprice.com/ - Pulls the market data from Cryptozoic and gives it to you in a not terrible fashion! Updates once a day.
http://www.hexpromos.com/ - A list of all the Alternate Arts and other fancy card information
http://doc-x.net/hex/show_orange_posts.rb - Unofficial Dev Tracker for the Official Forums
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101 - Official Forums (Don't use this, they're terrible)
https://twitter.com/HexTCG - Official Hex Twitter
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai6sxA02g4p-dFpJTm9IQ2F6ckhlRXc3b25kV1dOUFE&usp=sharing#gid=0 Goons that play Hex and will be your friend!

Goon Slack
https://goonfeet.slack.com/messages/hextcg_steaks_of_fate/details/
Slack is basically super IRC. Talk to goons about Hex! (PM afgad or Blazing Zero your email for access! If you don't have PMs, email sigberct stuff at gmail (remove the spaces))

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So is there a less pain-in-the-rear end way to find prices of cards/gear other than loading into the Auction House and searching for what I want to sell? I'm starting to have stacks and stacks of poo poo I have too many copies of to use and would like to liquidate it but my god the AH UI is awful.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The part about starter decks is outdated. New players will now start with a 200 (untradeable) card collection, and PVE characters use pre-built decks from that collection.

Also, it might be better to refer to HXE (HexEntertainment) instead of Cryptozoic.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Epsilon Plus posted:

So is there a less pain-in-the-rear end way to find prices of cards/gear other than loading into the Auction House and searching for what I want to sell? I'm starting to have stacks and stacks of poo poo I have too many copies of to use and would like to liquidate it but my god the AH UI is awful.

Hexprice.com and Shard Shopper are probably your best bets.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Come join the slack chat if you want free poo poo and you're just starting out, I'm feeling generous.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Thoom posted:

The part about starter decks is outdated. New players will now start with a 200 (untradeable) card collection, and PVE characters use pre-built decks from that collection.

Also, it might be better to refer to HXE (HexEntertainment) instead of Cryptozoic.

Good points. Updated the post.

Are Starter Trials still a thing?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm currently tending some sparks so I can send a smoke signal of my e-mail address for a slack invite.
Anyway thanks for the info etc.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Hauki posted:

I'm currently tending some sparks so I can send a smoke signal of my e-mail address for a slack invite.
Anyway thanks for the info etc.

smoke signal received~

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
Go RV! that looks pretty good. Thanks for putting the effort in.

Can you put in the OP what Slack is and how to get an invite to it? (PM or email Blazing Zero or me)

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Go RV! posted:

Good points. Updated the post.

Are Starter Trials still a thing?

Nope. The starter trial rewards have been integrated into the campaign.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Afgad posted:

Can you put in the OP what Slack is and how to get an invite to it? (PM or email Blazing Zero or me)

yeah you can throw my email address in there too just please spell it out a bit so robots dont spam me thanks

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Getting back into this game I am excited to see:

A) I can now open chests while on the deckbuilding screen

And I am disappointed to see:

A) Drafting still has a bunch of graphics issues, I had cards displaying wrong so I managed to pick an off-color card that was supposed to be a Skewer
B) People are still joining draft queues to raredraft and then not build decks (seriously gently caress these people)
C) You still can't open multiple chests at once so these hundreds of loving common chests are likely never going to get open
D) They still haven't increased the trigger volume for dragging onto the fountain to open things to a reasonable size

E) This draft format still sucks, 111 was the best draft experience they've had handily.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Afgad posted:

I added that to my word file, but apparently it didn't make it to the post. Added.

Thoom posted:

Nope. The starter trial rewards have been integrated into the campaign.

Removed that stuff.

Blazing Zero posted:

yeah you can throw my email address in there too just please spell it out a bit so robots dont spam me thanks
gotcha

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Getting back into this game I am excited to see:

A) I can now open chests while on the deckbuilding screen

And I am disappointed to see:

A) Drafting still has a bunch of graphics issues, I had cards displaying wrong so I managed to pick an off-color card that was supposed to be a Skewer
B) People are still joining draft queues to raredraft and then not build decks (seriously gently caress these people)
C) You still can't open multiple chests at once so these hundreds of loving common chests are likely never going to get open
D) They still haven't increased the trigger volume for dragging onto the fountain to open things to a reasonable size

E) This draft format still sucks, 111 was the best draft experience they've had handily.

at least the community hasn't changed. My opponent has lethal on the board, passes turn instead, then gets salty that he didn't trigger any of his spiders in the whole game, of which there were 3 in game 1 in my deck, and 3 in game 2 until the final turn where there were 6. Meanwhile he literally throws the game away by keeping his dudes back instead of swinging lethal while I'm tapped out.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

It's me. I'm the rare drafter. :negative:

If I'm pressed for time and don't have hours to play through, it's either rare draft or waste my draft for the week.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

If this was earlier in the week then there are some people who have been having a visual bug where they simply can't pick cards (except for the first one) and so get 100% random picks instead - I didn't see anything in the patchnotes about fixing that and tournaments were locked when I was playing last night so I couldn't check

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Valatar posted:

It's me. I'm the rare drafter. :negative:

If I'm pressed for time and don't have hours to play through, it's either rare draft or waste my draft for the week.

I'm fine with rare drafting. Just drop before round 1, don't DC halfway through the pack 3 picks and then make everyone wait 20 minutes for deckbuilding to time out on you, then 10 minutes for you to lose your match to someone.

Between waiting for the queue to pop and the fucko who just afk'd the build stage this draft I'm unfortunately going to 3-0 is going to make me late for beers so I'm grumpy :(

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So Abominate works on the 1/1 that gives you a 1/1 phantom when it dies, so you can go 1/1 spirit guide or whatever, turn 2 make him a 4/4 flier.

That is loving horseshit. Lost game 1 to it, won game 2 just barely by hitting the 5 drop gem guy that can hit them for 5 with a gem followed up by fiery invocation to kill his flier while I was at 5, and then game 3 he lead with a blood resource and apparently was hosed for diamond while I went Bashir, Bashir, Duplicitous Duke (I am also horseshit, I had an amazing monoruby deck with fiery invocations in teh board because I only wanted 3 in the main)

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

...don't DC halfway through the pack 3 picks and then make everyone wait 20 minutes for deckbuilding to time out on you, then 10 minutes for you to lose your match to someone.

No, I'd never do that, that's an insanely douche move. Especially given how rapidly the picks go for the last half of a pack. Anyone who's gonna bail on a tournament needs to hit the forfeit button up at the top of the screen during the deckbuilding step instead of just closing the client so the game knows you've bailed. Anyone who doesn't is a fuckface who deserves death.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
Anyone face the Flaming Goliath Zombie thing in the Rose Castle yet?

No idea how to beat it (rolled Orc Warrior).

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Pieces posted:

Anyone face the Flaming Goliath Zombie thing in the Rose Castle yet?

No idea how to beat it (rolled Orc Warrior).

Don't damage him at all while he's chained, just build up a one turn kill or close to it with burn in hand. Once he's unchained you just kind of have to hope he doesn't draw well if you can't kill him in the same turn.

edit: I think Orc aggro should have the easiest matchup. I'm not sure someone playing Vennen could even do it without actual perfect draws via something like Divine Altar and Brood Barons.

last one!!: When I say don't damage him at all while he's chained, I mean don't damage him until he's at 28 life and there's a chance he'll unchain himself next turn.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 28, 2016

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, thats basically what I'm trying (I'm 0/6 so far), its tough to try and draw your 1 gorefeast before he hits 25 though. Plus having only 6 cards in hand means I'm lucky to have 4 shards by the time he gets unchained.

Trying out some tunnelers now (scraptech brawler in particular)!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Pieces posted:

Yeah, thats basically what I'm trying (I'm 0/6 so far), its tough to try and draw your 1 gorefeast before he hits 25 though. Plus having only 6 cards in hand means I'm lucky to have 4 shards by the time he gets unchained.

Trying out some tunnelers now (scraptech brawler in particular)!

I think you should be able to include a second Gorefeast as long as you're level 4+. It makes it slightly less painful. There's just a lot of RNG involved though because if he hits himself for 3 every turn he's going to unchain too fast.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
I'm at level 6 right now and my restrictions are 3/3/1/1 for C/U/R/L. Should it be different?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Pieces posted:

I'm at level 6 right now and my restrictions are 3/3/1/1 for C/U/R/L. Should it be different?

I just checked and apparently not. I thought all races would have the same rarity restrictions based on level. That makes that fight a lot worse!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Go RV! posted:

I'm working on a new OP since Karn seems to be MIA.

Take a look over this, I've cleaned up a lot of old information. What else should I list? Is there anything blatantly wrong in here?

Also, what's the last we heard of the functionality of Mercenaries?

Sent you a message before I saw this post, but for the thread's reference. I'm swamped with work during the week, and since you already put work in, I'm not going to Bogart the OP just cause I made this one.

EDIT: I just realized that this is mostly my OP re-purposed. I may be really tired. But at any rate, if you want to run the OP and you're excited about keeping it updated, you have my blessing to go for it. I'll be around when I get a chance.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Sigma-X posted:

So Abominate works on the 1/1 that gives you a 1/1 phantom when it dies, so you can go 1/1 spirit guide or whatever, turn 2 make him a 4/4 flier.

That's certainly not how it used to work. Sounds like a bug. You used to have to target the creature to sacrifice, then target the creature to buff, then the card actually took effect and the sacrifice happens, triggering the Spiritbound Spy to become a Spirit.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I finally got a deck I together I want to test and PvE hit and now no one is doing the random opponent queue.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Zurai posted:

That's certainly not how it used to work. Sounds like a bug. You used to have to target the creature to sacrifice, then target the creature to buff, then the card actually took effect and the sacrifice happens, triggering the Spiritbound Spy to become a Spirit.

It works because Spiritbound Spy doesn't create a spirit when it dies, it turns into one. So you choose Spy as the sacrifice, then itself as the target, it dies, reenters play as a spirit, and then gets buffed.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

Phoix posted:

I just checked and apparently not. I thought all races would have the same rarity restrictions based on level. That makes that fight a lot worse!

I got through the Zombie Goliath, now I am getting wrecked by Wiktor. Would be nice to be able to make adjustments to your deck at the boss themselves, especially in some of the longer dungeons!

Its certainly no walk in the park (which is refreshing yet frustrating at times)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sacrificial Toast posted:

It works because Spiritbound Spy doesn't create a spirit when it dies, it turns into one. So you choose Spy as the sacrifice, then itself as the target, it dies, reenters play as a spirit, and then gets buffed.

Yea it's worked like this since the start, the first time I saw it I was like "Clever girl" and then the first time I pulled it off it did a lot of work for me but I just never end up with both cards anyway R/W or S/B are always way open (or I get a bug and just have to put a random pick deck together)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Pieces posted:

I got through the Zombie Goliath, now I am getting wrecked by Wiktor. Would be nice to be able to make adjustments to your deck at the boss themselves, especially in some of the longer dungeons!

Its certainly no walk in the park (which is refreshing yet frustrating at times)

Once we get mercenaries we'll be able to use those for the task.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I'm really, really liking Shin'hare Warrior.

With their race/class combo talent being a cheaper Battle, it starts at 4 and an early talent can push that down to 3--which with Warrior Affinity you'll easily get 2-3x that in the first few turns. Easy removal to anything with 2 or less defense, up to 4 with the right talents.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Anyone hit by the error where the loading bar reaches full after login, then just does not continue?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Weissritter posted:

Anyone hit by the error where the loading bar reaches full after login, then just does not continue?

That always happens to me if I hit the logout button then try to log in. Restarting the client fixes it for me.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Coyotle cleric's been working fairly great for me; the racial power and class power complement each other really well. Also planning on giving elf fighter a run, that looks fairly badass.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mage has been pretty underwhelming so far but that's probably because tier 1 one has one extra spell.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

DrManiac posted:

Mage has been pretty underwhelming so far but that's probably because tier 1 one has one extra spell.

Dwarf mage is actually kind of fun. I just random artifact my own crappy minions in hopes of getting something good. The 1 armor also really helps.

Vennen mage however... feels so weak, I really want to make it work, but it's so terribly hit and miss (mostly miss). The low HP is also no help.

So far my Coyotle Cleric has progressed the fastest, but all of them are stuck with the worms. I guess I'm just bad at the game, or missing something important with deck building.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Anyone try beating that node using the free comet strike? There was another mission with a side objective and pretty sure I got an extra card I don't remember getting the first time. I can't tell since those rewards are still missing. I'll spoiler just in case.

Hag fight, if you revert the princess I think you get an extra card.

Also pretty sure Adaptatron is the best PVE rare card to come out of this.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Nazhk Lookout, especially with its equipment, is probably the single insanest card I've played with so far.

By default, it's a 2/2 for 2, and mills your opponent whenever a card is played by either player (including shards).

With gloves, whenever your opponent plays a card, there's a 10% chance for you to get a random vennen into play for free.

• Locked thread