Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So what's going to make this game more than a flash in the pan, if it even gets to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Control Volume posted:

So what's going to make this game more than a flash in the pan, if it even gets to that?

Well, I've been playing it for a year now (since the first wave of Alpha invites went out) and it's been consistently fun and engaging over that time. I did take a short break for a month or two near the end of Alpha but once drafting came in I've been consistently playing at least a draft a week and enjoying it. The card pool is deep and engaging and the gameplay is complex and innovative. There are a lot of surface similarities to M:TG but I honestly think Hex is a deeper, subtler, and more interesting game overall.

The only real thing I see that could make this a "flash in the pan" at this point is the lawsuit. (More on that here: http://www.quietspeculation.com/2014/05/understanding-the-wizards-v-hex-lawsuit-in-plain-english/ ). Personally I think Hex "should" win on the merits of the case but the sheer legal costs could prove crippling (I expect they've already stalled development somewhat).

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are a lot of surface similarities to M:TG but I honestly think Hex is a deeper, subtler, and more interesting game overall.

To me it seems like exactly the same game. Can you a go a little more in depth as to the differences that make you think it's deeper?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gross Dude posted:

To me it seems like exactly the same game. Can you a go a little more in depth as to the differences that make you think it's deeper?

I think it's designed to seem like the same game at first.

There are a few big differences (threshold system plays very differently from Magic's mana system, etc.) but main difference is deceptively simple: a "Card" in Magic is a physical object. A "Card" in Hex is a digital object. That means that Magic can only do so much to a card -- it can't except in very limited circumstances write on a card, for example, it can't make "hidden" changes to the card that the players don't see, it can't generate new copies of the card, it can't have cards that generate other cards that then do other things (MTG can generate tokens, but those are limited).

And all that makes a significant difference in gameplay. For example, Mill is a much stronger archetype because you can have cards like Sabotage or High Tomb Lord. "On enters play" and buff/debuff effects are much more powerful in Hex because they write onto the card for the rest of the game -- if you buff a troop with +2/+2 in Hex and then it dies or gets shuffled back into your deck, when you recast it, it'll still have that +2/+2. If it gets +2/+2 on entering play, it'll now be +4/+4.
For months one of my favorite decks was http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=6089 . It's based around "enters play" effects and unsummons, and it's a deck type that would be much much more awkward in MTG (imagine tracking the Inspire mechanic).

So on, so forth -- I'm just scratching the surface here; I have to crash for the night so I can't do a full writeup. Basically Hex seems a lot like MTG when you first play it but the longer you play it the more you realize how many subtle differences there are. It just has a bigger design space than MTG could, because MTG is limited to hocking physical cards.

I see Hex and MTG as very similar to Blizzard and Games Workshop. Just like Blizzard did with Warcraft, Hex is taking a tabletop collectibles game into a digital space and then innovating in ways that the physical tabletop game couldn't because the tabletop manufacturer is wedded to selling physical products in a way that the digital innovator isn't.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 29, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
well the digital only mechanics like putting cards into your opponents deck + shuffling more cards into your own deck + permanent buffs + etc set it apart from MTG, though I agree you get the same feel of the sequence of play / etc - if you play(ed) Magic then you will be pretty familiar with a lot of the stuff in this game already (though there are still differences that catch people out like Crush vs Trample / double-damage mechanics / etc)

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

So having completed the intro games but not spent any of the gold, I am now sitting on 5K. Would it be a terrible mistake to spend 3K of that on buying the other starters so I can give them a whirl?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Gross Dude posted:

Right now it isn't deeper than Magic, but that's mostly because Magic has about a billion more cards. Hex has the potential to be deeper because it can do everything Magic can and then stuff that Magic simply cannot ever do because it's tied to physical cards.

The simplest example is the gems. Think Diablo 2 socketing but with cards, and with new gems being released periodically which can be used in old cards. Currently most troops with sockets have a clear "best" socket, mostly because of the limited card base, but there are two clear standouts that show how awesomely versatile the system is.

First, we have Eldritch Dreamer. It's the Sapphire Major Socket troop (each shard only has one currently), and while the other major socket troops generally only have one or two good configurations, Eldritch Dreamer is excellent with all of the "when this troop deals damage..." major gems and also sees some use with the sapphire mill major gem and the spellshield wild minor gem.

Second, there's Effigy of Nulzann, which is an extremely versatile troop in Limited play. I've seen it used with the +1/+1 wild gem, the swiftstrike diamond gem, the intimidate ruby gem, the flight sapphire gem, and the permanent -1/-1 to blockers blood gem. In each case it takes an artifact gray ogre and turns it into a very useful and valuable troop, and there's a solid option in every shard so you'll always have choices depending on what you need in your deck.

EDIT: Oh, forgot the best part. You can change gems freely (up to 4 of the same gem per deck) during sideboarding, and I've made use of that in the past. For example, I drafted a deck with 4 Mistborn Wendigoes not too long ago. I defaulted them to the flight gem, but in the final match, after determining that my opponent had a few fliers which made attacking with them problematic but no sapphire or artifact troops to speak of, I switched it to the intimidate ruby gem.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 29, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

KazigluBey posted:

So having completed the intro games but not spent any of the gold, I am now sitting on 5K. Would it be a terrible mistake to spend 3K of that on buying the other starters so I can give them a whirl?

There are two currencies in Hex. One is gold which you got for completing the trials and the other is Platinum which is 100p=$1 if purchased directly from Cryptozoic.

Starter decks cost 1k platinum or around $10. You can use the gold you have to spin chests or buy cards listed for gold on the AH. It's also important to note that you should never buy the starter decks and maybe this is a note that should go in the first post. You can build the starter decks by purchasing the cards directly for way less than $10.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

katkillad2 posted:

There are two currencies in Hex. One is gold which you got for completing the trials and the other is Platinum which is 100p=$1 if purchased directly from Cryptozoic.

Starter decks cost 1k platinum or around $10. You can use the gold you have to spin chests or buy cards listed for gold on the AH. It's also important to note that you should never buy the starter decks and maybe this is a note that should go in the first post. You can build the starter decks by purchasing the cards directly for way less than $10.

I am aware of the double currencies but I think my eyes picked up on the golden "I" disks before noticing the number.

What a bummer, so Gold is only good for the auction house? Guess I'll put the game to the side until they implement PvE, not really keen on spending money when I've got games like Hearthstone or the Might and Magic one available.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Compared to MTGO one of advantages aside from the design space is that it's significantly cheaper. It's still a CCG, but way less than Magic.

katkillad2 posted:

Added a note about not buying starters in the "Getting Started Section"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KazigluBey posted:

What a bummer, so Gold is only good for the auction house? Guess I'll put the game to the side until they implement PvE, not really keen on spending money when I've got games like Hearthstone or the Might and Magic one available.

I'd suggest trying out a couple things before you shelve it.

1) Try a few games in the "training grounds" against other people with just your starter deck. You will probably get stomped but at least with a little luck you'll run into some neat decks and get an idea of what's possible out there in Hexland. Plus, this option is free, so no reason not to give it a try.

2) If you're willing to risk even a small amount of money on the game, try a swiss draft. Buy three packs on the AH and you're looking at a cost of around $5.50 for the draft, you'll get roughly four hours of gameplay and some neat cards, and you'll see what it's like to play the game against other people in a relatively "even" environment.

Karnegal posted:

Added a note about not buying starters in the "Getting Started Section"

Might want to tell people what the decklists are for the starters and/or alternate suggested cheap decklists they can buy instead for the same cost.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Might want to tell people what the decklists are for the starters and/or alternate suggested cheap decklists they can buy instead for the same cost.

Here is the card list for the starters, also I'm pretty sure you don't even need to buy them from the store in order to unlock the training mode - just have the right card in a deck to start it

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
KazigluBey, if you are interested I can toss you a few packs to defray the costs of the first draft.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Slifter posted:

KazigluBey, if you are interested I can toss you a few packs to defray the costs of the first draft.

Thank you very much for the kind offer, but I'll pass. Might not give up on the game /right/ away but I really don't need some kind of addiction to develop for a game-mode that is ~5.50 a pop. :)

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Fair enough, though it's worth pointing out that it's not actually 5.50 each. If you are willing to rare draft a little and can not lose the first round in a competitive draft it's not too hard to go infinite. Plus it's buggy enough that there is a decent chance that something will happen in the event that will cause you to send in a ticked and get a refund.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Slifter posted:

Fair enough, though it's worth pointing out that it's not actually 5.50 each. If you are willing to rare draft a little and can not lose the first round in a competitive draft it's not too hard to go infinite. Plus it's buggy enough that there is a decent chance that something will happen in the event that will cause you to send in a ticked and get a refund.

That's actually a fair point. There's a guy on reddit who claims he went 4-0 in a 128 man tournament without ever spending any cash at all on Hex (http://www.reddit.com/r/hextcg/comments/2jnfv5/hello_guys_so_i_am_completely_f2p_proof_that_it/) Basically what he says he did is sign up for events, get a few free tickets when the events bugged out, then make a deck that could win a constructed tourney with the resulting winnings from those free tickets.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Control Volume posted:

I've also been playing Hex since alpha. The game is very deep and extremely fun. My only regret is that I didn't invest even more money than I did.

I draft at least twice a week every week, and usually far more often than that. The reason I think this game has staying power is that Cryptozoic is the design team behind the game, and their card-game expertise is truly wonderful. This game is definitely a bunch of card game super-geeks making a video game, not a bunch of video-gamers making a card game.

This cuts both ways. First, the plus is that the cards are extremely well balanced. I am continually blown away by how well balanced the various shards are, and across formats! Every deck archetype is good in draft (though a few are a bit tougher to put together), and despite the meta having leveled out in constructed, there are still a lot of shards present there. The only shard that doesn't appear in tier 1 is wild, and it still has some decks that can give the top-tiers a run for their money.

Unfortunately, the coding is just now getting up to speed. Cory (the guy in charge) has taken the long view and is hiring highly talented people at a slow rate (as he finds them) rather than cram as many developers onto the team as fast as possible. I believe this is the primary reason why the game is taking far, far longer than expected. We just endured like six months of basically no patches and no new content while they basically rewrote the game from scratch to update it to the new version of Unity.

The new UI is pretty slick though, and they are punching out bugs very quickly. With the new version out I'm being cautiously optimistic.

In summary, they have the card-player brains and experience to design a great card game that stays good for years. They've also taken the long-view on programming and carefully hired on new talent. So there are no signs here that the game will start out good and then just die because they can't keep up with it or don't have the know-it-all to keep it fun.

Combine with this the fact that their player-support is absolutely stellar and I just can't see this one dying unless it is just creamed by the lawsuit.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 29, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The opinions I've heard about the lawsuit is that there is no way Wizards can get an injunction against CZE, the most likely outcome is either a settlement or some amount of damages - the earliest we'll hear anything really substantial will be in 2016 so I'm not super fussed because I get to draft in the meantime

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

My first impression is this game copies everything magic does including crippling color screw completely and it feels sluggish. After losing to the starting match up for additional cards three times because If I drew ruby I never drew sapphire and vice versa, Let alone they just had better creatures. I never did figure out why i could not play the flying robot that cost one less for each robot/dwarf. I had 5 mana it cost 5 and had no way to drop it on the field.

Back to Solforge i guess.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Afgad posted:

This cuts both ways. First, the plus is that the cards are extremely well balanced. I am continually blown away by how well balanced the various shards are, and across formats! Every deck archetype is good in draft (though a few are a bit tougher to put together), and despite the meta having leveled out in constructed, there are still a lot of shards present there. The only shard that doesn't appear in tier 1 is wild, and it still has some decks that can give the top-tiers a run for their money.
Two pact control is currently on the cusp of tier 1 and that's got quite a bit of wild, for what it's worth.

This isn't a F2P game, it will get there in the future, but for now it's an alternative to Magic: The Gathering Online with a better client experience and cheaper entrance fee - Hearthstone this is not. It is however, loving awesome.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gross Dude posted:

As it is right now, Hex is not significantly more complex than a similar number of magic card sets. However, it has a much larger design space, and the potential for a lot more interesting interactions and combinations down the road.

1) Hex can do everything that Magic the Gathering can. MTG does not have anything unique in it's design space that cannot be nearly approximated in Hex. I say nearly because you can't make a card that fetches a basic land - because the resource system is different. You can make cards that are functionally similar.

2) The game has perfect information and thus has object permanence. This means that you can write to cards, you can track the position of a card, etc, and you can do so while keeping the information hidden from both players if needed. There are a lot of cards that Hex has that play off of this, from the technically feasible in Magic (Countermagic), to the problematic (Time Ripple) to the downright-loving-impossible (Pack Raptor, Reginald Lancashire).

There are a lot of cards that play with objective permanence and the ability to insert or duplicate cards. Some of these are obvious, but a lot are more subtle - there's a Troop that gets +X/+X when it comes into play, where X is your Wild threshold. If this gets bounced, or dies and then gets returned, it gets added again, making it a very resilient troop to bounce. Similarly, all of the troop enhancements, which would be creature enchantment cards in MTG, are instead permanent, which has a ripple effect through the game - cards that return those cards from the graveyard become much stronger, etc.

3) The resource system. You have three resources used in Hex - Charges, Threshold, and Resource Points. You normally play a shard that gives you +1 Charge, +1 Resource a turn, and +1 Threshold to a Shard.

Charges are used to cast hero abilities. Lots of things can give you charges - some troops, artifacts, etc. There are special shards in the unreleased second set that give you double charges.

Resources are saved/spent each turn like mana in Magic. But they do not have any special affinity or color like in Magic, they're just a number that gets bigger or smaller as you add to it/spend it, and it refreshes at the beginning of your turn.

Threshold is what lets you cast spells. Threshold is decoupled from Resource cost - you can have a 1 Resource spell that requires 3 Wild threshold - this would mean it would be cheap to cast but you are unlikely to be able to cast it until turn 3, since you typically gain 1 Threshold a turn. This is really where the system gets opened up, as it allows a lot variety in cards that would be exceptionally difficult to template in MTG.

Threshold is also used to turn on abilities on cards. For example, Dandelion Sprite is a 1/2 that costs 2, but when you have 3 Wild Threshold, it gains flight and spellshield, making it much stronger. All of the gem socketing abilities use this to turn the gem on, as well.

4) Champion Abilities. Each player has a Champion, which grants them an ability that costs Charges and requires a certain Threshold before it can be used. This is basically a "free" spell every so often that you will use to augment your deck and build around.

5) Gems. Some cards have sockets, which you can add gems to, which make the card behave differently. At the common level (where you are getting most of your draft cards), there are a 2/2 for 3, a 4/1 for 4 in Blood, a 3/1 for 3 in Ruby, a 4/4 for 5 in Wild, a 2/4 for 4 in Sapphire, and a 1/2 for 2 in Diamond. Depending on your deck, this means that you might see that 2/2 for 3 and think of it as a 2/2 flight, or a 3/3, but your opponent might be thinking about making it a 2/2 that gets bigger whenever it attacks, or a 2/2 unblockable. This changes the card valuation based on what Shards (colors in MTG) you're in.

And then there's the whole MMO/PVE poo poo and other things that will someday happen, but the core PVP game is already differentiated from MTG. The more you play it the more the subtle changes actually become obvious in their ripple effects.

In the end, it's similar to MTG as Quake2 is similar to Doom2, but the third dimension changed a lot about the gameplay and made it deeper.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

In celebration of not-open open beta, I want to announce the

:siren:Hexagoon New Player Asynchronous Tournament:siren:

Purpose: To get Hexagoons talking to one another, on each other's friend's lists, and into the game!

How to enter: Post here or PM me with your Hex in-game name, SA name, and common playing times (please convert to UTC!) I will try to set you up with people in your timezone so, at least initially, nobody will be staying up until 3am to play. Once everyone has entered and I've set up brackets, I'll post who is to play whom, and it will be up to you to schedule your match with that person.

The deadline to enter is November 3rd! I'll grant extensions if people think this is unreasonable. I'm hoping the entire tournament can finish by the end of November, but I don't know how long these things usually take.

Rules

Single-elimination best of 3. (So each matchup plays three games before the winner proceeds to the next round.) Sideboards are OK but they still have to be within the decklists.

NO CARDS not obtainable through starter decks and starter trials! If you see someone play a card not in these deck lists, they lose! Screenshot it.

Starter deck lists and the cards available via starter trials.

If you see a card not on either of those lists, it is banned!

I can't control for tweaking. If you change your starter deck to have 4 pterobots instead of 3, well, fine. But don't bring in cards from another starter-deck. In other words, don't put a shield trainer with your pterobot. Stick to the deck lists. You may only use the starter-trial cards of that starter deck. So, again, don't put an evolve in your dwarf deck.

You may play any champ you wish, and use any gems you wish.

We need at least 8 entries for the tournament to "fire."

Submit screenshots as proof of victory! Take those screenies and post them to the thread, preferably along with awesome stories about your game. The burden is on the winner to do this. The loser need not do a thing. The screenie must have the winning move on it! Don't take a picture of the victory sword! I need to see the name of your opponent, and I need to know it is a different game! If your opponent writes on the forums that you won the round, that can take the place of a screenie. But I prefer screenshots so we can comment on your game! If your opponent doesn't post or refuses to post, you'll have to play again. Don't be a dick about this, guys. If you concede, tell your opponent before you do it so he can screenshot your chat box, or be ready to post on the forums.

Rewards

I'm going to offer the following rewards from my personal collection, and if other goons want to tack on their own prizes, I'll happily update it. The prizes may seem a bit lackluster, but this is the first tournament I've ever personally run and I don't want a bunch of tears in case something goes wrong. I will run more asynchronous tournaments in the future I promise!

1st place: A full set of uncommons (one of each) and a primal pack!
2nd place: A full playset of commons (four of each) and three boosters.
3rd and 4th place: A full set of commons (one of each) and a booster.
Door prize for first 32 entries: A booster pack! (You must play at least one match!)

A Pippit card sleeve to the two best/most interesting write-ups posted on the forums! Put some effort into your post and win a limited edition sleeve! Thanks Karnegal!

My hope is that these prizes will at least get people enough cards to kick them into the Rock League, which is an extremely cheap and fun way to play Hex!

FAQ

Why asynchronous? Because I live in Taiwan and I'm sick of time zones screwing me over. So I'm making an event where time zones won't screw you over (too much).

What if I disconnect or lag out or my match is ruined by a bug? Too bad. You lose that game (but maybe not the round). Your opponent is under no obligation to agree to a rematch. Denying one does not make one a jerk. Enjoy your doorprize though!

What if we absolutely cannot find a time when we can play each other? You both lose! Come on guys, you have literally weeks to find a time.

I forgot to take a screenie. What do I do? Ask your opponent to play again, or to write a post on the forums declaring your victory.

My opponent is being an rear end and refusing to post my victory after he suddenly conceded so I didn't get a screenshot. To the opponent in this case: please don't be that guy, making GBS threads on an otherwise friendly intra-guild tournament. I'll take these case-by-case if they come. My decision final.

I want to play but I already have 10 million cards so I don't need your stinking boosters. Then save the prize and donate it to the next tournament! I can hold on to them if you really don't want to deal with it.

Nice try Afgad, but your tournament is flawed because (reasons) Sure! I'm learning too. Just keep it constructive. This is why for my first tournament everyone gets a prize and the stakes are low. I want to learn how to handle running tournaments and leagues and you all will be my guinea pigs.

:qq:I just got shard screwed and I hate you and this game :qq: : :frogout:

Edit: Outside of huge timezone differences, I will randomly seed the brackets.
Added Sleeve codes as a prize!

Afgad fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 30, 2014

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'll toss two packs at the person in last place that plays all their games. Because we are in it for the fun, not the prizes, right? Right?

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Ugh still waiting on re-imbursement from support for the VIP tourney failure from Friday night, while they've already answered my issue from Sunday. I really wish they'd gone with someone other than gameforge.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Slifter posted:

I'll toss two packs at the person in last place that plays all their games. Because we are in it for the fun, not the prizes, right? Right?

It's single elimination so that could be multiple people!

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Neat write up from RPS about Hex in it's current state and going into the future, happy it's starting to pick up traction in coverage on bigger sites, regardless of my opinion of said sites. This article oddly enough implies that the next big thing coming is the Arena, not Set 2! So maybe we can expect the Arena before Open Beta launches for realsies, which is exciting.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Afgad posted:

NO CARDS not obtainable through starter decks and starter trials! If you see someone play a card not in these deck lists, they lose! Screenshot it.

I can't control for tweaking. If you change your starter deck to have 4 pterobots instead of 3, well, fine. But don't bring in cards from another starter-deck. In other words, don't put a shield trainer with your pterobot. Stick to the deck lists. You may only use the starter-trial cards of that starter deck. So, again, don't put an evolve in your dwarf deck.

You may play any champ you wish, and use any gems you wish.
Just for clarity's sake, does this mean you could tweak each starter by using more of card X, Y, or Z than would otherwise be available, so long as it's on the list for either the deck or its trial? Similarly, does each card on the list need to be represented, or can they be removed if one does not wish to use card Y, for example.

Either way, I'm totally in for this since it'll be a good way to start getting into more constructed Hex, even if it's limited in scope.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Afgad posted:

Cool idea, I've got 2 Pippit sleeve codes for you to give out as you see fit. I'll PM you later today with info on how to get them from me.

LightReaper posted:

Neat write up from RPS about Hex in it's current state and going into the future, happy it's starting to pick up traction in coverage on bigger sites, regardless of my opinion of said sites. This article oddly enough implies that the next big thing coming is the Arena, not Set 2! So maybe we can expect the Arena before Open Beta launches for realsies, which is exciting.

Yeah PvE is a bigger deal for open beta. new players won't care that we've had set open for a year, but they will care about FtP stuff. And I want to open chests and buy their gold to roll the hundreds of un-upgraded ones I have.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Afgad posted:

In other words, don't put a shield trainer with your pterobot. Stick to the deck lists.

Until I saw this I was plotting out this whole deck concept around combining Blood Aura with Droo's Colossal Walker :P

I'll probably sit this one out just because I have too many cards and not enough time already right now, but I'm interested to see how the format boils out. There won't be much (any?) mass removal so bunnies and dwarfs might be a lot more powerful than they typically are.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 29, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Mikujin posted:

Just for clarity's sake, does this mean you could tweak each starter by using more of card X, Y, or Z than would otherwise be available, so long as it's on the list for either the deck or its trial? Similarly, does each card on the list need to be represented, or can they be removed if one does not wish to use card Y, for example.

Either way, I'm totally in for this since it'll be a good way to start getting into more constructed Hex, even if it's limited in scope.

I have no way of controlling how many of a card you put into your deck, only which cards go in. So even if it would not be normally available, you can add up to 4 of it. I think this is OK, because most starter deck cards are mega cheap. You can probably beg them from general chat or buy them with the gold you earn from starter trials.

Karnegal posted:

Cool idea, I've got 2 Pippit sleeve codes for you to give out as you see fit. I'll PM you later today with info on how to get them from me.

How does, "award for the two best/most interesting accounts of a match written on the forums" sound? I'd love for people to put effort into their posts.

Until I saw this I was plotting out this whole deck concept around combining Blood Aura with Droo's Colossal Walker :P

Yeah sorry, it's for new players and many will just not have more than one starter deck. I want as equal footing as possible.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 29, 2014

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Afgad posted:

How to enter: Post here or PM me with your Hex in-game name, SA name, and common playing times (please convert to UTC!) I will try to set you up with people in your timezone so, at least initially, nobody will be staying up until 3am to play. Once everyone has entered and I've set up brackets, I'll post who is to play whom, and it will be up to you to schedule your match with that person.
sign me up, coach!

Hex in-game: Zeroh
SA name: Blazing Zero
Playing times: 9pm-1am UTC on weekdays; 7pm-3am UTC on weekends

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 29, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Inverse posted:

My first impression is this game copies everything magic does including crippling color screw completely and it feels sluggish. After losing to the starting match up for additional cards three times because If I drew ruby I never drew sapphire and vice versa, Let alone they just had better creatures. I never did figure out why i could not play the flying robot that cost one less for each robot/dwarf. I had 5 mana it cost 5 and had no way to drop it on the field.

Back to Solforge i guess.

Hex is actually way more color screw friendly than MTG with the threshold system. Some games you are gonna get shard screwed and some games you are going to get flooded, it's just something that happens. There's also ways to mitigate shard screw by using Shards of Fate or Adaptable Infusion Devices. If being shard screwed or flooded is something you can't tolerate, then yea I guess something like Solforge might be for you.

Control Volume posted:

I backed at Grand King+King tier and I'm probably one of the more skeptical/critical backers from the last thread. I love the game, but not currently convinced it's going to be anything more than a flash in the pan. Fortunately those kickstarter tiers were such a great deal that with a little effort I could cash out several hundred dollars ahead and won't lose that value anytime soon.

Absolute worst case scenario we will see a third set and some sort of PVE. What I'm really concerned about right now is player base. There's obviously a lot of people waiting for set 2, but how many just aren't going to come back since we've been stuck on one set for so long? If I remember correctly I think Cory said they don't have a marketing budget and are just going to be spreading the game around by word of mouth and interviews and whatnot.

When the kickstarter was going on they really sold it, I think they lost a lot of the momentum and hype for being stuck in set 1 for so long and not having PVE ready for the legion of "how do I earn cards for free" players that showed up when they sent out the beta invites.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

katkillad2 posted:

Hex is actually way more color screw friendly than MTG with the threshold system. Some games you are gonna get shard screwed and some games you are going to get flooded, it's just something that happens. There's also ways to mitigate shard screw by using Shards of Fate or Adaptable Infusion Devices. If being shard screwed or flooded is something you can't tolerate, then yea I guess something like Solforge might be for you.

Overall screw and flood work to the benefit of newer players. They're the game's random element; sometimes you're gonna get a bad hand. Over time, luck elements mean that players with less skill (just because they're new!) and less investment do better than the would've otherwise. Same reason a new player can sometimes win a hand against a champion poker player, but a new chess player is never, ever going to beat a grandmaster.

quote:

When the kickstarter was going on they really sold it, I think they lost a lot of the momentum and hype for being stuck in set 1 for so long and not having PVE ready for the legion of "how do I earn cards for free" players that showed up when they sent out the beta invites.

Yeah. I blame the lawsuit for diverting resources and killing momentum. We'll see what happens I guess. I like to think it's still recoverable. They're just having to rely more heavily on a smaller pool of people interested in a more "hardcore" MTG alternative TCG.

One good quip I saw pointed out recently is that you can earn 100 gold for each match in the proving grounds, and that's about what the average Common card costs on the Auction House right now. So you can build a basic deck "for free," it just won't have power rares in it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 29, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Afgad posted:

How does, "award for the two best/most interesting accounts of a match written on the forums" sound? I'd love for people to put effort into their posts.

Whatever you want, man. It's your tournament, you're doing the work, I'm just tossing you some prizes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So for this goon tournament, we can basically turbocharge one of the starter decks, but we can't cross the streams?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Sigma-X posted:

So for this goon tournament, we can basically turbocharge one of the starter decks, but we can't cross the streams?

Hope so, otherwise that means a new player has to buy into other starters to compete in this; a starter deck tourney.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Afgad posted:

Afgad posted:

I have no way of controlling how many of a card you put into your deck, only which cards go in. So even if it would not be normally available, you can add up to 4 of it. I think this is OK, because most starter deck cards are mega cheap. You can probably beg them from general chat or buy them with the gold you earn from starter trials.

I have many, many extras of most of the uncommons and even rares in most of those starter decks. Presuming it's ok with Afgad, anyone who wants to compete in this tourney just send me a PM before midnight EST tonight with what you need and I'll respond with a gift in order received (I'm "Surprise" in-game, but I probably won't respond to out-of-the-blue friend requests). Probably won't be able to give everyone everything they need but I should be able to give a fair number of people a significant boost.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh another tip for deck crafting:

I highly suggest running your new decks through the "deck analysis and draw test" thingy on http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/

The calculator isn't perfect -- it has some bugs like counting Burn to the Ground and Life Siphon as one-cost cards -- but it's a good way to do a rough initial check and make sure you have your shard balance right and so forth.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Afgad posted:

It's single elimination so that could be multiple people!

Hmm, That would make it tricky. I'll figure out some way to contribute something, worst case it would just be a door prize for people that get knocked out in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Is there any evidence of matchmaking coming soon? Not 'in the next year' but in a reasonable time? It is pretty silly to have the chance of fighting someone who can put down Jadiim on turn 4 in less than 24 hours of creating your account.

• Locked thread