Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's winning this loving thing?
This poll is closed.
(W1) Seattle Sounders 31 22.63%
(W2) Los Angeles Galaxy 13 9.49%
(W3) Real Salt Lake 1 0.73%
(W4) FC Dallas 4 2.92%
(W5) Vancouver Whitecaps 4 2.92%
(E1) DC United 16 11.68%
(E2) New England Revolution 27 19.71%
(E3) Columbus Crew 11 8.03%
(E4) Red Bull New York 5 3.65%
(E5) Sporting Kansas City 0 0%
(C1) Calvinball 25 18.25%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It looked to me like he went above and beyond to avoid the possible handball -- very weird call to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tragic call

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Geiger is a poo poo ref but if that call means we don't have to play Vancouver again then I'm okay with it

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Well that was a lovely unsatisfying end

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Vancouver has been absolutely robbed by Mark Geiger. He strikes again. Unbelievable.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Fernandez with tears in his eyes =[

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dallas did not deserve to win that match but seeing Vancouver's players on TV after the match makes me want them to lose too.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Great win for FCD!

Very deserving - home field advantage was a huge swing in our favor.

Vancouver's dumb stuff at the end was unnecessary. I know you lost the game - but thank the ref and move on.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

ugh didn't the Caps get knocked out on a lovely PK the last time they made the playoffs too? Against the Galaxy.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
I voted for FC Dallas in the poll because they are my team, but realistically I don't think they'll win. Probably LA Galaxy again. Who knows.....

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

colonel_korn posted:

ugh didn't the Caps get knocked out on a lovely PK the last time they made the playoffs too? Against the Galaxy.

Yep, I seem to remember loving Landon Donovan diving his rear end off and being awarded the game-deciding PK late.

gently caress, that makes controversial PKs late in the game ending both of the Whitecaps' playoff experiences thus far.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Simon Borg is going to do his controversial calls thing for every game, right?

Beautiful.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I've watched the clip at least ten times and I'm still not sure what to think of it. Very conflicted on it. Basically,

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Mark Geiger is a lunatic like that. He'll call the most technically correct but practically horseshit calls I've ever seen.

but in a nicer way. Would love to sit in on the debrief and see what PRO thinks of it.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Looks like those clowns in Failcouver have done it again, what a bunch of clowns

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Even just seeing it once on replay, it's absolutely deliberate handling. He makes himself a foot wider by bringing his arms out on both sides, and gets unlucky. Geiger is 10 yards away and is looking at it full-on.

You have to be a big man to make that game-changing call in the dying minutes of a game. Good for him.

edit: I'd also like to point out my vote of Calvinball was prescient.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 30, 2014

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

It's harsh, but it's the right call. Speaking as a referee, I would make that call 10 times out of 10. You never want to involve yourself in the outcome of the game, but in this case, if he doesn't call it, that's how you fail assessments and lose your FIFA badge.

I'm sorry for Vancouver, but defenders know that any time your arms are away from your body in the penalty area, you run this kind of risk.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I don't think he had any option but to call it. The player immediately looked at the ref and looked guilty as hell too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KANS'rear end' CITY LOST THE WORLD SERIES AND THEYRE GONNA LOSE THE (chance of playing for the) MLS CUP TONIGHT

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Long time Kansas City sporting fan here. Mon the hoops

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This has been a shower of poo poo from both sides so far.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
red bulls are gonna find a way to lose this

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
That Olave miss, lol

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Can't believe Cahill missed that shot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Cahill miss was worse

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Only took 20 minutes for Vermes to say gently caress like 4 times on the field mic.
E: that might be a fan actually

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I was only half paying attention maybe it was Cahill? My bad, either way :lol:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They haven't shown a replay yet but it really looked like BWP was onside on that called off goal

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Skc just constantly fouling.

Edit: BWP can't put a wide open header on target. Your 2014 golden boot winner..

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Only took 20 minutes for Vermes to say gently caress like 4 times on the field mic.
E: that might be a fan actually

It was a fan.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeaTard posted:

It was a fan.

Cool fan

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

argh

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

skc is gonna get a cheap one and win

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Somehow NY is gonna get the first card of this match and also lose it, against this terrible KC team

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fat greasy puto posted:

skc is gonna get a cheap one and win

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

new york are bad, poor Henry

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Look at them all crying lol

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

im going to sleep i know how this one ends

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're gonna miss out on some sick Kansas City goals

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Titi's gonna start pouting soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

How has NY missed that many wide open shots?

• Locked thread