Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperg
Jul 20, 2008

Theoretically, it is possible...
More Info: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/on-the-pitch/os-mls-players-avoid-strike-orlando-city-20150304-post.html

Players who are making less than $100,000 have a cap of a 125-percent increase of their salary, players making between $100,000-$200,000 have a cap of 120-percent and players making more than $200,000 have a cap of 115-percent.

In addition, the new CBA includes a minimum salary of $60,000, a substantial step up from the 2014 minimum of $36,500. The minimum will increase incrementally per year. The source said there was also an increase in the overall salary cap, though they could not immediately provide that number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

My prediction 6 months ago had the salary cap set to 5m with minimum salary 60k and 4 DPs. No mention of free agency.

I guess I was half right, but I still don't understand why this free agency is any different than getting passed in the Waiver Draft and going where you want.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Well, I just got an iPhone alert that the CBA has been agreed upon. Guess it's officially official.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

My prediction 6 months ago had the salary cap set to 5m with minimum salary 60k and 4 DPs. No mention of free agency.

I guess I was half right, but I still don't understand why this free agency is any different than getting passed in the Waiver Draft and going where you want.

I guess the big thing is that now you cant be drafted to go somewhere you don't want.

*Edit*

Durr thats exactly what you said I feel stupid now. I wonder if it will open a 4th DP slot, and yeah I think the cap should see about 30-50% increase.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 5, 2015

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
That's a really good deal. Now that free agency is established, they can improve it over time. But nearly doubling the league minimum is phenomenal and actually helps the average player live a decent quality life. $60K is a living wage in just about any market.

Seven teams voting against it is surprising; I wonder what more they wanted.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That's a really good deal. Now that free agency is established, they can improve it over time. But nearly doubling the league minimum is phenomenal and actually helps the average player live a decent quality life. $60K is a living wage in just about any market.

I would guess that NYC wanted a higher salary cap.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Colorado probably didn't want a higher salary cap as we are kinda allergic to spending money.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That was the vote by the players of each team, not the owners.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Can somebody explain the whole 28/8 thing? I don't sports good.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Robot Danger posted:

Can somebody explain the whole 28/8 thing? I don't sports good.

When a player is 28 or has been in the league 8 years, they'd be free to sign with any team instead of a team holding their rights indefinitely and having to go back through the waiver/allocation draft in the post season.

Given that we're talking MLS there's probably some other crazy rule around it, but that's how I'm assuming it'll work.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

shoplifter posted:

When a player is 28 or has been in the league 8 years, they'd be free to sign with any team instead of a team holding their rights indefinitely and having to go back through the waiver/allocation draft in the post season.

Given that we're talking MLS there's probably some other crazy rule around it, but that's how I'm assuming it'll work.

I'm pretty sure it is an AND, not an OR. So both 28 and 8 years in the league.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I'd have trouble buying that the players would sign that considering it could lock academy kids to a team for 10+ years, but it wouldn't shock me. The NHL rule is a "27yo OR 7years" situation, so I'd expect it's the same here, as starting ages are similar depending on the route they took to get into the league.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 5, 2015

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

shoplifter posted:

regardless if it's and/or, if you sign a 26 y/o to a 4 year contract, they can't walk at 28, correct? only when their current contract is up?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Well, when they were talking earlier about 32/10, only a single player qualified, which meant that was an and. I didn't hear anything different about 28/8, so presumably it's the same.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Correct, contracts are still valid. In the NHL a lot of guys try to structure their deals so they get UFA at their first opportunity, though there have been a lot of teams structuring more long-term deals that keep them out of UFA.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Azerban posted:

regardless if it's and/or, if you sign a 26 y/o to a 4 year contract, they can't walk at 28, correct? only when their current contract is up?

From what I understand, Jozy is safely locked into your roster until his contract is up, yes.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

shoplifter posted:

I'd have trouble buying that the players would sign that considering it could lock academy kids to a team for 10+ years, but it wouldn't shock me. The NHL rule is a "27yo OR 7years" situation, so I'd expect it's the same here, as starting ages are similar depending on the route they took to get into the league.

In a way, you WANT the academy kids locked in. You basically put em through high school. Might as well get the benefits of that. I'm also speaking as a supporter of a team with a very good academy, mind you. And now the Andy Najar / Bill Hamid (and one day Niedermayer) folks will be paid AND kept.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

From the owner perspective (and from the perspective of a supporter that wants your team to do well) you absolutely want that. I'm just surprised that the players would agree to it.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Well, 28 and 8 is a lot better than nothing and never. Still, that's probably why it sounds like the deal barely passed with the players.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hey thread long time no see. Will I see any of my TFC friends at the Duke of Gloucester for the away opener this Saturday?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Xylorjax posted:

Well, 28 and 8 is a lot better than nothing and never. Still, that's probably why it sounds like the deal barely passed with the players.

Yeah. My guess is the guys who voted yes, knew that getting that first step in the door would help a lot next time around. And keeping it at a 5 year deal instead of the 7 year deal originally offered was a really good idea.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Soccer is in one day.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

That generally only happened to really lovely players because the good ones got picked in those drafts. Now players who don't suck will be able to do it.

LionYeti posted:

Colorado probably didn't want a higher salary cap as we are kinda allergic to spending money.

It was the Rapids' players who voted against it, not the owner.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Soccer is in one day.

I'm not sure if it was complained about eariler, but why is the season kickoff on a Friday on a Spanish language channel that not everyone gets?

Oh ya, because MLS.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

^^^^ The answer will always be :10bux:

UZworm posted:

That generally only happened to really lovely players because the good ones got picked in those drafts. Now players who don't suck will be able to do it.

Not necessarily. You'd have guys on big money who were passed as well. And guys like Dan Gargan aren't lovely, they were just in lovely situations. Without Gargan, LA finishes in maybe 5th last year and doesn't make it out of the play-in game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tigren posted:

I'm not sure if it was complained about eariler, but why is the season kickoff on a Friday on a Spanish language channel that not everyone gets?

Oh ya, because MLS.

Actually it's English this year.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Hey thread long time no see. Will I see any of my TFC friends at the Duke of Gloucester for the away opener this Saturday?

it's my mother's birthday

so maybe

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Soccer is in one day.

i just realized this and i'm pretty happy about it

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Azerban posted:

it's my mother's birthday

so maybe

Bring her! I brought my mom to the duke once for a game, she had a blast.

Of course, I come from an irish family so....

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

quote:

Alexi Lalas
‏@AlexiLalas
I’m told part of new #MLSCBA is carve-out for certain players “outperforming” their contract. New FA capped $ increase rules wouldn’t apply.

quote:

I’m told players “outperforming” their @MLS contract (& 28/8 eligible) would possibly be ID’d by a panel w/ player representation. #MLSCBA

The gently caress does this mean?

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2015

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

ShutteredIn posted:

The gently caress does this mean?

Calvinball on :420:

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Probably, keep an eye out for the morbidly obese guy in an anime button-up, because that guy is me

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Probably, keep an eye out for the morbidly obese guy in an anime button-up, because that guy is me

Cool, I think I'm going to rock my season 2 kit with the BMO logo mostly peeled off. Say hi, but if you ask me about stairs I'm gonna tell Dempsey you touched me in the bathroom.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

quote:

Fox Sports names Alexi Lalas and John Strong as lead Major League Soccer broadcast team. Landon Donovan joining studio team.

Oh... oh boy.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Cool, I think I'm going to rock my season 2 kit with the BMO logo mostly peeled off. Say hi, but if you ask me about stairs I'm gonna tell Dempsey you touched me in the bathroom.

I have a Toronto season 1 authentic that a drunk guy traded me at Shoeless Joe's but it's hard to get into because it's a small and I look like Taylor Twellman when I put it on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

Oh... oh boy.

Wow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wait what does Fox Sports have the rights to? I thought it was all ESPN/Univision this year

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Landon Donovan has always been embarrassingly bad on TV.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

joshtothemaxx posted:

Landon Donovan has always been embarrassingly bad on TV.

He's good in commercials. they should just bring him out for a 30 second ice-burn 4x a match and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Wait what does Fox Sports have the rights to? I thought it was all ESPN/Univision this year

quote:

ESPN and Fox Sports will split English-language television rights for the 2015–2022 seasons, paying $75 million per year, while Univision will pay $15 million annually for the Spanish-language rights during the 2015-2022 period.[19] In addition to increased revenue, MLS also receives for the first time consistent days and times in national telecasts — Sundays from 5-7pm on ESPN2, and Sundays from 7-9pm on Fox Sports 1 — in the league's push to improve its TV ratings.[20]

• Locked thread