Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ryoshi posted:

Hi everyone, I'm a dumb idiot baby who liked throwing on the big long anime story thing in SIGN during slow days of working from home. ....Except I can't remember diddly poo poo about the plot of SIGN after the arcade mode ending where the city gets destroyed, other than some random tidbits like Bedman killing a dog and Ky apparently being weirdly immortal. If I recall correctly even That Man showed up to blast something or someone with Sol's help or something?

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the state of affairs at the beginning of Revelator? I know this is pretty much a thread for figuring out where best to cancel to create insane combos and poo poo but as an absolute scrub-tier fighting game player that means nothing to poor old me.

darealkooky posted:

why do people hold mortal kombat as the industry standard for 'fighting game story' and not xrd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Disclaimer:
the point of this tutorial is to focus on victory by abusing sin's strengths
Don't expect compliments like
nice match let's play again
after every game as if it were a scene from a manga

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you are thinking...I don't wanna stay at long range! i just wanna attack him!
Sin will surely grant selfish wishes like this as well.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Revelator sooooo good but I dont think im in the spirit of the game because I hate dashing and just enjoy bopping people with s and hs as potemkin.

Pot is cool and all but you learn to love the dash pretty quickly if you play the other characters, movement feels neutered when you can't chase after people. Then you start learning combos with tricky spacing and micro dashing in them and the rabbit hole opens up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah I couldn't figure out any of that poo poo when I used to play marvel, but I'm determined this time and the tutorial is already helping in some spots. I used to do a dash happy Morrigan in that game but I could never reliably OTG or make big combos with anyone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm glad I spent 5 hours one Saturday and practiced the IAD motion so much that it's just burned into muscle memory now

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Probably old news to most people, but on top of the fact that this games graphics are fuckin nuuuuuuuts, I'm also really impressed that they had the restraint to keep the actual matches themselves as traditional as they did. I guess the dust launchers or whatever they're really called are the one thing I can think of that they could've left out imo but with poo poo that looks this good I'm sure a lot of other companies would have had the SLASH! spin move and stuff like that all over the place.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Street Fighter IV command grabs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I lost my poo poo the first time i saw the slow mo spin finish

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the "this isn't 2D anymore so we can do fancy camera tricks" stuff is real tasteful in this game, it exists entirely to give you a second to realize that you've hosed up which is why it's only on things like supers and the dust that you should've blocked.

a similar reason is why almost every throw in the game has a noticable pause between throw landing and throw actually hitting you, it slows the otherwise breakneck pace down so your brain can process your ownage

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

the "this isn't 2D anymore so we can do fancy camera tricks" stuff is real tasteful in this game, it exists entirely to give you a second to realize that you've hosed up which is why it's only on things like supers and the dust that you should've blocked.

a similar reason is why almost every throw in the game has a noticable pause between throw landing and throw actually hitting you, it slows the otherwise breakneck pace down so your brain can process your ownage

the last second round slowdown spin for trades or whatever is sick also

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

1.04 patch list

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wallsplat is such a gross sounding word

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Cool. New gatling chain for Axl. Might be able to sneak in an extra hit on his BNB ground combos with it, I'll have to play with it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s296/sh/bd53630d-471f-4b4f-af46-473868233f88/33084a7323a58f684fc146418d3c4189

Better list; that one has some mistranslations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

buff beak driver but nerf jam? am I reading this correctly?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

They both got nerfs and buffs

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
pot air move damage buff is... weird?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

anime was right posted:

pot air move damage buff is... weird?

Probably because he's so limited in the air and to incentivize going for harder confirms into air combo instead of just defaulting to heat knuckle.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Any tips on fighting Chipp as Axl? I know it's a bad matchup, but I am EXTRA BAD at it, fuuuuuuuuck. All the normal rules of how you play neutral Axl get thrown out the window because he can teleport right in on you. What's the best option for when he teleports above you? People at locals were advising me to 2S really quick and you can trade doing that, but even that doesn't feel great to me (plus I miss it constantly cause me reflexes are poo poo).

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Chipp kinda has a weakness in being too fast to stop. I dunno if it's still a legit move, but whenever I felt he was about to approach I'd Bentengari his poo poo.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
It's a big read but Counter is crossup proof.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

attackmole posted:

Any tips on fighting Chipp as Axl? I know it's a bad matchup, but I am EXTRA BAD at it, fuuuuuuuuck. All the normal rules of how you play neutral Axl get thrown out the window because he can teleport right in on you. What's the best option for when he teleports above you? People at locals were advising me to 2S really quick and you can trade doing that, but even that doesn't feel great to me (plus I miss it constantly cause me reflexes are poo poo).

guess right and never stop guessing right

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It's odd to say but don't try to zone him, it doesn't work.
The distance you want to play chip is just beyond his attack range, where a S beats a dashing normal and you can mix him up effectively.

Sparrowhawk is dead in this match-up, dashing becomes a decent option at max range because it messes with chips teleport locations, its madness.
You really need to have your blocking down and know how to extend pressure through holes rather than do Axl's typical pressure enders like rensen.

As for the air teleport, 6p works pretty well (despite the move rarely showing up in other matchups) but you have to be quick in determining the direction.
Unfortunately, you don't see a ton of very good Chips online - so when you meet one that has their poo poo together you have to get blown up until you learn the matchup properly.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

when he does yrc teleport just go back to character select and pick someone else

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I forget if it was Faust or Chipp but I remember just YRC'ing back when someone YRC teleports.
That and dead angles are all you should be spending meter on in the Chip matchup anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anybody making some sick rear end dioramas.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Before anyone gets the idea they might have actually given Potemkin a meaningful buff this patch, the j.D Ground Bounce is literally 1 pixel off the ground so you have to RRC to get anything off of it on ground hit. On air hit you can maybe get a free combo if they are above you when you hit them somehow.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

what about on ch?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That is on counterhit. Doesn't do anything new on regular hit.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 1, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
It's like they just added dizzy stuff but nothing that changed her gameplan enough to be dominant, even on offense.

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Before anyone gets the idea they might have actually given Potemkin a meaningful buff this patch, the j.D Ground Bounce is literally 1 pixel off the ground so you have to RRC to get anything off of it on ground hit. On air hit you can maybe get a free combo if they are above you when you hit them somehow.

:(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

j.D CH is not really that bad on a2a ch really, they can be a little below you and you can pick them up with 2P 5P for a small combo. It'll probably only be rarely useful but any new ways to convert to damage I guess.

The 2P thing lets you do PB -> 2P on Bedman who was the only character that didn't work on before, I have no idea what else it could be useful for so it's probably another minor stealth nerf (like the hitbox changes last patch).

Slayer's 6K links to c.S now on normal hit and that seems really gross.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 1, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

They both got nerfs and buffs

beak driver second hit is active for 2 more frames and it has 2 frames less recovery. this is just a straight buff, yes? They nerfed the proration his 2K but I specifically said driver, not sin in general.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Slayer's 6K links to c.S now on normal hit and that seems really gross.

does that mean people can stop whining about how he's bad finally or is it not enough till he's AC level again

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

darealkooky posted:

beak driver second hit is active for 2 more frames and it has 2 frames less recovery. this is just a straight buff, yes?

It's still the same on block unless they block one of those two active frames. Not a Sin player but I don't see why the change was made at all.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Thanks for the tips yall. I finally got a Chipp at locals to practice with so hopefully I can just play it a bunch and get a better feel for it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I dig bedman, doing the projectile that teleports him is my jam now and the simplicity of his specials helps me focus. Im real unreliable with the call backs and im not sure how they're supposed to be applied other than a wild gently caress YOOOU when comboing near them but he feels good.

Any very very general tips or good youtube vids would be appreciated.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 1, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I dig bedman, doing the projectile that teleports him is my jam now and the simplicity of his specials helps me focus. Im real unreliable with the call backs and im not sure how they're supposed to be applied other than a wild gently caress YOOOU when comboing near them but he feels good.

Any very very general tips or good youtube vids would be appreciated.

Hm.

I don't have videos but GC yoshi is solid and there are various japanese ones out there.

The teleporting one should be used for oki.

Like an effective use of it is learning the opponents wake-up timing and using it after a basic knockdown, keeping them in the corner, or lots of free form pressure.

don't use it too much randomly, the other fireball is better for that, but off a 2d it's nice.

an offscreen one can be tossed in to surprised people and switch your sides while you're pressuring.

An angled air one can be used to catch someone from behind since the non rewinded versions return to your current position.

-If you mean general rewinded (deja vu) tasks, space control, and pressure.

For example a combo that ends on task b knockdown. on a character WITHOUT a dp or careful planning, Deja vu Task b, 2K> 6H as task b is hitting, seems to work to a decent amount of success for me against randoms.

task a deja vu, space and has a faster start up.

deja vu task C is great for pressure. Example. Let's say you hit (from left side and this hits a decent portion of the cast but timing changes on the pks for light and heavy characters) starter > 5HS > 1HS SJC jp jk js Air Task C > 2HS > task C
in most places that will corner them.
Deja Vu Task C will hold them on their wakeup (there are exceptions, and timing is key)
After that you'd 886 HS OR air fireball, or just pressure the or maintain space and poke them while using task c between to stop them from escaping.

I mean my thoughts are kinda scattered atm, so just check dustloop, he hasn't changed that much so it's all relevant.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 1, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Thanks a bunch, I'll check dustloop, I thought he was new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can take just about anything gcyoshi says about bedman as gospel if you can cut through the thick coating of irony.

Also, don't use task a' oki on venom, he gets out free.

• Locked thread