Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Here's a Playlist if anyone cares

Latest Episode

The Game

Medal of Honor is the re-boot of the OG WWII Shooter franchise Medal of Honor. By 2008 when the game was announced the shine was off the apple so to speak and consumers had tired of WWII shooters, helped along by 2007's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare; a franchise which can trace its own roots back to Medal of Honor. While competing head on with Call of Duty on a modern military shooter front is near suicidal today, when MoH2010 was announced there was still space for counter-programming; essentially attempting to catch the same eyes but for different reasons. Instead of the fictionalized world of Call of Duty MoH2010 was going to put you in control of members of the US military during Operation Anaconda focusing on so called Tier One Operators. There is only the semblance of a story; no main terrorist you are hunting down, no overwhelming bad guy or imminent nuclear explosion you need to stop. Instead the game focuses on soldiers getting sometimes senseless orders and attempting to carry them out. It's a weird thing to see in a modern military shooter as you generally expect a ton of bombast and explosions (which there are plenty of, don't worry), but the theatrics of most shooters are stripped from this game by design.

Much was made of the involvement of DICE, makers of the Battlefield franchise, in the development of MoH's multiplayer. DICE provided both the code for the multiplayer and the Frostbite engine the game runs on, which made a number of people consider this a sort of run up to Battlefield III, which DICE firmly denied. Most people were to focused on something else about multiplayer to notice DICE was involved. While one of the factions in multiplayer was the US Army Rangers as to be expected, the other team was the Taliban. Like, named the Taliban. This generated a good bit of controversy and EA was forced to change the name to the generic Op-For. Reminder that for the last 20 years people have been playing as the straight on Nazis in multiplayer modes without a public outcry. It was a dumb move to name the one team the Taliban either way, but still; this is a game where you explode men with grenades and make body parts fly off with sniper rifles. The anger seems misplaced in the face of that sort of violence.

The LP

I've recruited two other forums posters, tehinternet (called Ahnuld in the videos) and Scarf (called 3Toes in the videos) to help me get through this game. We'll be taking on the paltry 4 hours of single player content on offer here and trying to not lose our minds in the process. It'll be difficult when you can make this repeat every time you play the first level:

Along the way we'll be talking about everything from game mechanics to the guns on feature to the validity of plastic deck chairs as cover.

Updates
I'm shooting for once a week due to the schedules of everyone involved, don't be surprised if a week is missed here and there. We'll be trying our best to slog through this in a timely manner, though. The second episode nearly broke us already.

Thread Participation

Honestly, there isn't much I can offer here. What I am trying to do is find some of the best moments of the game breaking in weird and different ways in the videos and making .gifs. If you are interested in trying to capture moments I may have missed, download Gooncam here and go nuts.

Episode List

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Saved for mysterious purposes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So this episode is mostly introducing you to four of the 12 soldiers the game follows. You play as Rabbit, a kid from the streets of Detroit who has one dream: to become a famous rapper. No, wait. You want to be a member of the Vermont State Troopers? Either way it involves a ton of shooting people and kicking in doors with your junior sized fake Timberlands.

As far as introductory levels go this is pretty basic. Shoot man, crawl under this, melee an object, shoot mans, interact with stuff, meet character, shoot mans, end level.

.GIFS

Lazyfire

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 30, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Oh boy, 2010's Medal of Honor.
I will actually say that I really like the singleplayer campaign: it's short and definitely not worth full price, but since I got it for really cheap on a Steam sale I can't complain, each level has its gimmicks that help them differentiate from each other, there are a few neat details in there and loosely basing the story on actual events worked well.
Oh and the single player campaign runs on the Unreal Engine: the Frostbite Engine is used for the multiplayer, but it has none of the destruction (except for a few scripted bits) and all the hit-registration issues that Bad Company 2 had.

As for the video, the guns you start with have infrared lasers and IR flashlights which only show up when using NVGs as they should, the crouch and leaning mechanic is pretty neat since it does allow you to use multiple stances that help in some firefights on the higher difficulty... and there's a lot of downtime for exposition. Also hilarious glitches. :v:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 29, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So wait, the game starts with a giant frostbite logo yet the single player campaign is in Unreal? I can't even make sense of that, but it does explain why on the PC the Single Player and the Multiplayer are two separate "games."

I actually really like the lean mechanics and use it a ton when I can, or when I remember to. It has a lot of potential, but my god does it do away with any good will it builds in one scene by the end of the next one.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

So wait, the game starts with a giant frostbite logo yet the single player campaign is in Unreal? I can't even make sense of that, but it does explain why on the PC the Single Player and the Multiplayer are two separate "games."

I actually really like the lean mechanics and use it a ton when I can, or when I remember to. It has a lot of potential, but my god does it do away with any good will it builds in one scene by the end of the next one.
Well, the multiplayer was developed by DICE and not DC, which could explain quite a few of the issues with the online component ( :v: ) and given how justifiably popular Bad Company 2 was EA probably tried to milk the hype as much as it could. But yes, the singleplayer is done entirely in the Unreal engine, unlike MOH:Warfighter where both online and SP use the Frostbite engine; and the campaign is Dumb. :saddowns:

And I'm rather curious to see what scene you mean: I can think of a few in the next level, but I don't seem to recall that they were too bad. :)

Edit:
ah, I believe I know exactly what point&click section you are referring to, then. :v:
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 29, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Next level includes the most boring and pointless eight minute point and click section in the game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Get used to men appearing in places they weren't before:

Also get used to people phasing into geometry:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
MOH2010 definitely sums up the "brown shooter" epidemic of the early 2010s.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It's a veritable poo poo-storm of brownness!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

tehinternet posted:

MOH2010 definitely sums up the "brown shooter" epidemic of the early 2010s.

The epidemic was well under way before the 2010s rolled around.

Lazyfire posted:

Get used to men appearing in places they weren't before:

This reminds me of that clip I saw of a Sherlock Holmes game where Watson would teleport around you the moment he wasn't on screen.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
It'll be nice to see this game to completion, seeing how I played through half of this game before saying "well gently caress it" and wandered off to do something else. And this is coming from someone who wasted most of their life playing CoD games. Good on you, Lazyfire. You do God's work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I got hooked on the beta for some ungodly reason and ended up loving the multiplayer. I played half a level of the campaign so I am actually very curious to see what the rest of the game is like. Well, besides the color I get that much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Chechens? As in, people from Chechnya?! In Afghanistan?!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pythonicus posted:

It'll be nice to see this game to completion, seeing how I played through half of this game before saying "well gently caress it" and wandered off to do something else. And this is coming from someone who wasted most of their life playing CoD games. Good on you, Lazyfire. You do God's work.

There is a point in this game that is clearly supposed to rival the AC-130 mission in CoD4. If you didn't get that far I suggest picking it up again to see how that mission could have been if no one had a sense of pacing.

Blind Sally posted:

This reminds me of that clip I saw of a Sherlock Holmes game where Watson would teleport around you the moment he wasn't on screen.

Get used to this. In a later video someone literally goes from behind me to 50 feet ahead of me telling me to hurry up. Like, goddamn I got combat training, not mutant powers.

Samovar posted:

"Russians" are the only worthy opponent.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Samovar posted:

This is a pretty interesting decision: over the years there have always been reports of chechen militias present in Afghanistan in support of the Talibans and other muslim group operating there against the western forces, but for as many sources confirming their involvement, there are at least as many denying it or reevaluating their numbers to just some mercenaries and fanatical "foreing combatants".
While according to the game there are chechens, the situation in real life is more complex and I doubt we'll ever get any actual numbers from a believable source, but it's not something I can really fault the game for and (so far) it's handled a bit better than some other titles. :v:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 30, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Get used to this. In a later video someone literally goes from behind me to 50 feet ahead of me telling me to hurry up. Like, goddamn I got combat training, not mutant powers.

Maybe your squadmates aren't even real, and it's all in your head. :tinfoil:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Combat Lobster posted:

Maybe your squadmates aren't even real, and it's all in your head. :tinfoil:

I already played that game. It was miles better than this one.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

I found the video I was thinking of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

Seems appropriate.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"We're going to need a bigger boat" ... to go up into those mountains.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing Lazyfire didn't show off is that you can go prone to look under that roll-up door the grenade is thrown under early on, and the room on the other side is already burning and wrecked.

Also, something this game actually does that's neat is the AKs: they're randomly generated from various international AK parts to make unique kitbashed guns. You can look at the IMFDB page to see some close-up examples (be warned, there may be spoilers for future levels in there).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

One thing Lazyfire didn't show off is that you can go prone to look under that roll-up door the grenade is thrown under early on, and the room on the other side is already burning and wrecked.

No way. I'm going to go get a recording of that tonight if I can, it just seems like the kind of thing this game would do. In the end it sort of makes sense, you have no good reason to prone there before the explosion, but still, this game actually has some world destruction stuff in it, I wonder why they didn't just use that.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, something this game actually does that's neat is the AKs: they're randomly generated from various international AK parts to make unique kitbashed guns. You can look at the IMFDB page to see some close-up examples (be warned, there may be spoilers for future levels in there).

I looked the page up last night out of curiosity.

I noticed a good half of the arsenal is singleplayer only, and about a quarter of the multiplayer weapons are only usable by people who preordered.

I get the distinct impression a lot of bad ideas went into the multiplayer.

Lazyfire posted:

Let me guess, at least one of the next three levels also has a part where you wait on a helicopter to pick you up/get you out of a jam and you defend yourself with a mounted machine gun.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 31, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kadorhal posted:

Let me guess, at least one of the next three levels also has a part where you wait on a helicopter to pick you up/get you out of a jam and you defend yourself with a mounted machine gun.

Surprisingly, no. There's a ton more attacking entrenched positions than "Hold the LZ" missions here because one of the things the developers actually paid attention to was the fact the US soldiers were attacking points, not holding them during these phases of the war. Oh, it still happens at some points in the game, though. Unspoken so far is the fact that I'm limiting IAmAhnuld/teh internet to a single "GET TO THE CHOPPA!" over the course of the LP because, well, he would lose his voice on a later mission otherwise.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The thing that struck me most about MoH 2010 is how mundane it is. They don't go all CoD with greater conspiracies and WMDs and poo poo. Its pretty much just a gamified version of Operation Enduring Freedom.

It makes sense considering the earlier MoH games were just gamified versions of World War 2 but it feels kinda out of place in the shooter genre since CoD4.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Kadorhal posted:

I get the distinct impression a lot of bad ideas went into the multiplayer.

Sort of. The multiplayer had an objective mode that was pretty fun, where you had to seize procedural points (similar to Battlefield's Rush game type). The action was built upon infantry combat, so it felt like a tight, scaled-down Battlefield game with the occasional APC you could control. I remember the equipment UI being kind of a mess, and LMGs being pretty overpowered. It also had a killstreak system that let you decide whether to deploy benefits to you/your team that were either defensive or offensive in nature.

traineehawking
Jan 29, 2008

For me, having sex with my girlfriend is about as exciting as eating a sandwich.
Those hats are pretty common Afghan attire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1stGear posted:

The thing that struck me most about MoH 2010 is how mundane it is. They don't go all CoD with greater conspiracies and WMDs and poo poo. Its pretty much just a gamified version of Operation Enduring Freedom.

It makes sense considering the earlier MoH games were just gamified versions of World War 2 but it feels kinda out of place in the shooter genre since CoD4.

If I remember correctly, this game was advertised heavily as being inspired by actual operations from the beginning of the War on Terror and having actual Tier One operators advise them on production and realism. It obviously doesn't come off that way since it just ends up being a somewhat dull and generic "shoot Muslims in the Middle East" game, but that's what they were going for.

Meanwhile the sequel sold itself on a lot of deals with real firearms manufacturers and got itself into some hot water over glorifying violence to children.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
7.62x54R isn't exactly an anti-aircraft round. It's simply a full-bore rifle round, originally designed for the Mosin-Nagant. Yeah, that Mosin-Nagant, the standard bolt-action rifle of the russian infantryman for over 60 years and two world wars. It's not really anti-air - even for light anti-air, you'd want to go into at heavy machinegun/anti-materiel rifle cartridges like 12.7x99 (aka .50 BMG), 12.7x108 or 14.5x114 (which was originally developed for early WWII-era anti-tank rifles). :eng101:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lazyfire posted:

Unspoken so far is the fact that I'm limiting IAmAhnuld/teh internet to a single "GET TO THE CHOPPA!" over the course of the LP because, well, he would lose his voice on a later mission otherwise.

So. Many. Choppers.

AND THEY ALL NEED GOTTEN TO

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

tehinternet posted:

So. Many. Choppers.

AND THEY ALL NEED GOTTEN TO

Settle down, buddy. Save that energy for the recordings.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Oh cool, it's Brown Shootgame: The Brown Shootgame :v:

Well tbf, it's not a horrible game, but really bland and full of great glitches/bugs. As you guys said, the sound design is actually good, and the graphics look neat. Except for being brown.

Also, I guess they let you carry 300 Svd rounds because the PKM uses the same ammo. Just imagine that Rabbit has two PKM boxes on his belt and feeds the Svd with lightspeed.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

1stGear posted:

It's a gamified version of Operation Anaconda to be precise. :)
And, frankly, this is probably why I liked this game: I'm a fan of tactical shooters, with a bit of an emphasis on the slower ones, and the rythm of the missions felt right for that specific genre, with most firefight involving relatively small numbers of combatants on both sides and everything. The singleplayer campaign is nothing like the modern Call of Duty games, and that is why I liked it despite some of the flaws. But that's just me and I know I'm going to enjoy the commentary shredding this title to tiny bits. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By the way, another neat detail I noticed is on Rabbit's rifle in that first level. If you look closely, you can see a sort of mesh over the lens. It's a killflash cover to reduce glare and protect the lens.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

chitoryu12 posted:

By the way, another neat detail I noticed is on Rabbit's rifle in that first level. If you look closely, you can see a sort of mesh over the lens. It's a killflash cover to reduce glare and protect the lens.

The IMFDB page mentioned that and I had no idea what they meant, thanks for clearing that up!

Tin Tim posted:

Also, I guess they let you carry 300 Svd rounds because the PKM uses the same ammo. Just imagine that Rabbit has two PKM boxes on his belt and feeds the Svd with lightspeed.

I kinda miss the days when games weren't trying to be realistic and they still gave an excuse for stuff like this anyway. Like, in the manual for Half-Life, it's stated you don't end up loading half-used mags because your HEV suit is automatically moving ammo between them for you.

Nowadays we get games like this that are trying to be uber-realistic, but then we get poo poo like super-speedloaders or characters carrying around two weapons that would be far too heavy to carry alongside each other anyway (the M79 in particular, I've played one game that doesn't force you to carry an assault rifle kitted out with another grenade launcher in tandem with it, and that's simply because of game mechanics rather than any attempted realism on the game's part) and the game is just like "what? no that's not happening, what made you think that" and tries to distract you from it with explosions.

That said, I don't really mind when it happens, but it's still just really silly that they're trying to be more realistic and getting progressively less.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 31, 2014

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I hear in the next MoH they're going to be so realistic that if you get shot in the stomach and don't die, you have to writhe in pain for hours, medevac to Germany, have surgery, take a few weeks course of IV antibiotics and you're unable to play until literally six months later.

Day 1 DLC includes:

+ Hyper-Realistic Jody DLC -- Get served divorce papers while recovering from wounds in the hospital!

+ PTSD Pack -- QuickTime events including wondering why you fought, survior's guilt and dealing with alcoholism!

+ Boredom Pack -- Play CoD in the barracks while waiting for deployment!

Tl;dr: Realism isn't fun, look at the pile of trash Day Z standalone is for a prime example of that.

Bobsedgws
Jun 12, 2009
College Slice
I remember playing this game once ever at a friends place, and what amazed me most was how you could repeatedly knife people if you kept pressing the button. poo poo's vicious.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

tehinternet posted:

+ Hyper-Realistic Jody DLC -- Get served divorce papers while recovering from wounds in the hospital!

I, and I'm not making this up, am pretty sure that MoH: Warfighter has a pending divorce as a plot point for one of the characters.

Also, don't expect to see another MoH anytime soon. Danger Close became DICE LA after Warfighter turned in terrible numbers (for what EA wanted it to be) and the series is officially on hiatus.

Another lesson in the importance of accuracy when you take a shot at the king.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So this mission is kind of the standard from here on out. You go in and do stuff while using various level specific equipment while teammates block your path and open doors for you. This is pretty much exactly why this game got called out for being a Call of Duty clone as it plays just like one. One of the observations I like to make about the start of this level is it is nearly a carbon copy of the opening sequence of the first American mission in Call of Duty 2, the one in North Africa where you are driving to a city and you have planes overhead and explosions on all sides. From there it starts to remind me of the Boneyard mission from Modern Warfare 2 where you are going through the plane graveyard.

For some reason when I uploaded the video we used to record this YouTube put it at around five FPS at points and the quality was terrible, so if we misidentify something or go quiet we're trying to figure out what we just saw.

GIFS

Strong Mouse

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
The beauty of the FrostbiteUnreal Engine

• Locked thread