Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sports...
I Enjoy Them
An Excuse to Drink
Kill Me
(All of The Above)
View Results

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
For those lost and confused, or maybe a bit shellshocked, below are a few threads about other American Professional Sports leagues for help ease your pain or whatever. I don't care, honestly.
You can all take the offseason to reflect on a wet fart of a MLB post-season. There has literally been American football (on two levels) for over 2 months now.

NFL (Literally America's Pastime):http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676748

NBA (A regular season almost as boring as the MLB but with good playoffs):http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643694

NHL (Not sleep inducing and fast as hell also suck a DICK Canada):http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668993

Seasons greetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
I remembered that baseball existed in time to catch the 7th game of the world series

GirlBones fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 30, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this was going to be about accepting that there is no god and magic isn't real after all.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I thought this was going to be about accepting that there is no god and magic isn't real after all.

I didn't explicitly put that in the OP because that is already implied. (It's Sports)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Baseball is the best, but during the offseason you should watch hockey. It's more exciting and has fewer breaks than the NFL. And it also doesn't have higher-ups protecting women-abusers.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Baseball is the best, but during the offseason you should watch hockey. It's more exciting and has fewer breaks than the NFL. And it also doesn't have higher-ups protecting women-abusers.

I concur with this entirely. Hockey is super awesome, fast-paced (and thus a good counterbalance to the molasses pace of baseball, as much as I love it), full of angry Canucks, Swedes and Russians and a game is over in half the time so you should all watch it instead of football during the offseason.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ask me what it's like to live in a city capable of supporting an NHL, MLB, NBA (sort of) and NFL team!

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 30, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This postseason owned and anyone who thinks the NHL is fast must literally be a sloth.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Football is really bad. So is basketball, actually. Hockey is fairly cool though.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Shouldn't this be the post-post-season guide?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I agree that the post-season was bad though. The novelty of two wild-card teams making it was neat, but the World Series wasn't really well-played, Bumgartner aside. I'd rather have a sweep of four good games, than a 7-game series with one decent one. Washington and Baltimore, that would have been a hell of a show IMO.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chinatown posted:

For those lost and confused, or maybe a bit shellshocked, below are a few threads about other American Professional Sports leagues for help ease your pain or whatever. I don't care, honestly.
You can all take the offseason to reflect on a wet fart of a MLB post-season. There has literally been American football (on two levels) for over 2 months now.

NFL (Literally America's Pastime):http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676748

NBA (A regular season almost as boring as the MLB but with good playoffs):http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643694

NHL (Not sleep inducing and fast as hell also suck a DICK Canada):http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668993

Seasons greetings.

gently caress you and watch Hot Stove with Harold Reynolds and Matt Vasgersian

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
If you don't like all sports (except soccer, gently caress that), you just aren't a good poster

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

IcePhoenix posted:

anyone who thinks the NHL is fast must literally be a sloth.

You're going to have to explain this, because, what?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

angrygodofjebus posted:

You're going to have to explain this, because, what?

The ice is too small so there's not enough spacing and every attack is just a bunch of passing around the perimiter trying to create space for a shot but you can't because of the previously mentioned size of the ice. Also too many teams have these big slow idiots who offer nothing to the game because their only job is to hurt someone or stage a fight that looks less real than WWE.

Olympic hockey owns though. Overtime is fun too because with 4 on 4 there's actually space.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

IcePhoenix posted:

The ice is too small so there's not enough spacing and every attack is just a bunch of passing around the perimiter trying to create space for a shot but you can't because of the previously mentioned size of the ice. Also too many teams have these big slow idiots who offer nothing to the game because their only job is to hurt someone or stage a fight that looks less real than WWE.

Olympic hockey owns though. Overtime is fun too because with 4 on 4 there's actually space.

Have you watched hockey since 2004

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AsInHowe posted:

Have you watched hockey since 2004

A few games a year, yeah.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If this is going to be a thread for everyone ragging on each others' favorite sports then please just close it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thank gently caress for Hockey

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

getting hard body into kronum and kegels

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Counterpoint: the Giants were pretty clearly using black magic granted by an evil god.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Say I wanna get into basketball while living in Western Canada. There's the option of picking Toronto, but the closest teams to me are the Timberwolves, Bucks, and Trailblazers. Which of the four do I go with?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

When will the braves kill/fire Fredi?!?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rene Bork posted:

Say I wanna get into basketball while living in Western Canada. There's the option of picking Toronto, but the closest teams to me are the Timberwolves, Bucks, and Trailblazers. Which of the four do I go with?
if you love the bork, youll love the bucks

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rene Bork posted:

The Blazers are probably the best team and are returning their starting 5 from last year.
The Wolves will probably be bad this year but have the #1 pick from the last draft (Wiggins) and a chance to get better through a high pick.
The Bucks are in a similar position to the Wolves but their most famous "player" is their coach.

Personally, I would go with the Blazers as your gateway for now.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

straight up brolic posted:

if you love the bork, youll love the bucks

I live in Milwaukee and I wouldn't wish the Bucks on my worst enemy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

The Blazers are probably the best team and are returning their starting 5 from last year.
The Wolves will probably be bad this year but have the #1 pick from the last draft (Wiggins) and a chance to get better through a high pick.
The Bucks are in a similar position to the Wolves but their most famous "player" is their coach.

Personally, I would go with the Blazers as your gateway for now.

The Blazers are going to win games and they have Lillard who is real good.
The Wolves are going to be fun but frustrating because they have a lot of youth.
The Bucks are the worst of both worlds between the other two.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There's also an NBA Meet the Team thread going on and, if you ask, someone will usually write-up a team that hasn't been covered voluntarily.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3673758&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post436963952

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
there are no sports again until March, and even then it's only kind of sports for a month. then there are sports again.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Xenophon posted:

there are no sports again until March, and even then it's only kind of sports for a month. then there are sports again.

This is correct

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
If you really must have your baseball fix during the winter, you can always follow the Australian Baseball League. Seasons just starting up here and the level of play is decent enough for what it is, livestreamed too but I don't know if it's watchable outside Australia without a proxy. Plenty of archived games floating around online if you want to get a feel for it. Screaden made a great post about the ABL in the NPB thread:

screaden posted:

So I know this isn't as high profile as Japanese baseball, but the Australian Baseball League starts in a couple of days. It's kind of an important year this year, as MLB being the majority owners of the league, had originally invested a bunch of money in the hope that the league could break even by it's fifth year of play, which is about to begin, although I don't know if that is likely to eventuate, the level of competition is still of a decent standard and I hope it continues to gain support.

A brief write up on the league in it's original incarnation is available on the wikipedia page.

A few minor league organisations send players over here during the off season, I know the Rays have had good relationships with the Brisbane Bandits and Sydney Blue Sox (Kevin Kiermaier played there last year), and these relationships are still continuing, with a bunch of Stone Crabs guys playing for Brisbane this season (Maxx Tissenbaum is one of them, who writes a cool blog about his experiences here: http://maxx27tissenbaum.mlblogs.com/, so it can be a good opportunity to see some up and coming players. I think the diamondbacks have also been a bit keen on the idea after the opening series in sydney this year as well.

The teams are spread between the capital cities of each state, Melbourne Aces, Brisbane Bandits, Sydney Blue Sox, Perth Heat, Adelaide Bite and the Canberra Cavalry. Perth have won 3 of the last 4 championships.

Games will be streaming via youtube and the local ISP iiNet, here is the schedule with links to streams; ABL Schedule although I don't know if it's available for international viewers (and if it isn't it should be)

Here are a few articles with some information about the league,

Why should we be excited about the start of the Australian baseball season?
Beyond the box score:What's Next for the Australian Baseball League?
The Australian Baseball Digest a news website that tracks everything related to australian baseball.

This also happened last season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzBlj8wV_es

I'm planning to get up to melbourne for a few games this season to show some support (plus a guy from my club is pitching this year) as well as to see some of the Rays guys get some play time, probably the closest I'll get to actually seeing my favourite team play (at least for a little while)

Baseball has had a surprisingly long history in Australia and it'd be great to see it become more than a niche sport. If you're Aussie or even here on a holiday, go and see a game if you can. I'll be attending as many Sydney Blue Sox games as possible this summer.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Rules of sports

1) All sports are good

2) Arguing over which sport is "better" is stupid

3) Watch a new sport and you might learn something/have fun

4) Go Sports

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

zakharov posted:

Rules of sports

1) All sports are good

4) Go Sports
Sports have become a soulless vehicle to spread corporate ideology to the masses

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

straight up brolic posted:

Sports have become a soulless vehicle to spread corporate ideology to the masses

I half-agree. I hope people actually rebel against stuff like ads on jersey but I know better.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Xenophon posted:

Yes.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, fess up, which one of you goons decided that none of the Royals should shave their neckbeards? That poo poo was gross.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ChrisHansen posted:

Okay, fess up, which one of you goons decided that none of the Royals should shave their neckbeards? That poo poo was gross.

The playoff beard a hockey thing that has recently spread to other sports because it is cool and people like to imitate cool things.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rene Bork posted:

The Raptors are great for no-pressure enthusiasm and you don't have to worry about expectations because there is no possible world where they are better than Cleveland.

zakharov posted:

Rules of sports

1) All sports are good

4) Go Sports

He's right, I think.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rene Bork posted:

The Warriors of course.

The Warriors are always the answer if you like fun.

Plus everyone in SF secretly wishes he was Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

zakharov posted:

Rules of sports

1) All sports are good

4) Go Sports

I agree except you also need rule 1b) All sports are bad.

• Locked thread