Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
is this bad

also give me some tips on how to be good. I made a battlemage and I want to cast fireballs and hit people with things and wear cool armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
No it's... uh... completely fine! Oblivion is a great game and I had a lot of fun with it too!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i hear it's good to have fun

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
It's... something

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I found a temple full of guys called priests of the moth and they were blind and now I found a floating rock tat shoots magic at me and idk what to do.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's good to have fun. What mods are you using?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Widestancer posted:

It's good to have fun. What mods are you using?

No mods, unless I installed them a very long time ago and forgot about them.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

You have the original install from when you first got it?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I remember it being an Alright walking-in-the-forest simulator at the time. How you enjoy it, OP.

e: walking. Walking-in-the-forest. Sheesh

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 30, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I kinda disliked it and TPed through most of it in the 2nd half but I did think it was sort of cool when people on the street started turning into assassins right before your eyes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i never finished or really even touched the main story but i beat the dark hand quest which was neat

later i found out that is actually the best part of the game and the main quest is completely forgettable

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BERGfu posted:

You have the original install from when you first got it?

idk maybe, it's been sitting installed on steam for a very long time cause when I think of uninstalling I keep thinking to myself "im gonna play it maybe". And now I am playing it.

It's an ok game, and I like the RPG aspect of it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I put over 100 hours into vanilla Oblivion. In a lot of ways it's a good game OP, so no shame there. It's just a bad game in a lot of ways too.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
I played a lot of oblivion in my day, but I just wandered around like a homeless person.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

idk maybe, it's been sitting installed on steam for a very long time cause when I think of uninstalling I keep thinking to myself "im gonna play it maybe". And now I am playing it.

It's an ok game, and I like the RPG aspect of it.

Holy poo poo dude if that's true. Came out in 2006

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I remember making a character that couldn't kill anything, because the entire game levels with you, and I got nothing bit +1or2 stat ups when I leveled.

So I made armor that gave 100% chameleon and just set it down to never be touched again.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BERGfu posted:

Holy poo poo dude if that's true. Came out in 2006

no i didnt buy it then lmao

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I remember enjoying it a lot when it came out, but I don't think it aged that well. A lot of the character models look very samey, and the level scaling is extremely bad. There are some fun quests, though, like the Thieves Guild and The Dark Brotherhood. I played some of Shivering Isles and it was pretty good, too.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I preferred dicking around doing side quests to the main story, but I think I advanced it enough that random portals started opening up everywhere and interrupting my fun so I stopped.

That's my oblivion story thanks for reading.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

there's nothing wrong with enjoying Oblivion. it's also nothing wrong with enjoying Skyrim. both are fine games in their own way.

what is wrong, and what will get the Balmora Council Club to loving murder you in your sleep, is saying it's better than Morrowind

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

or maybe OP is just confusing 'having fun playing Oblivion' with 'having fun playing TESO', which is a death penalty in many states

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
The leveling system in morrowind and oblivion was the loving worst

Still good games, though

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm killing vampires in a cave now. They are kicking my rear end.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Trilin posted:

Still good games, though

I remember keeping track of my skill gains with a piece of paper so I knew when it was okay to level up.

The real problem is in Oblivion there is very little reason to ever level up because of how poorly designed the level scaling is.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I remember playing this on the 360 in high school and somebody on gamefaqs found out that if you got the wizards tower dlc, went into the tower, then deleted the dlc it would drop you in a debug area. It actually had a lot of stuff and weird little buildings there and you could get infinite copies of those little oblivion orbs. I had never seen anything like it.

It was cool.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a fun game, OP, though potentially much more fun with the right mods. If you want to play unmodded that's fine and cool, but I recommend the Unofficial Patch to clean up basic bugs and errors.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trilin posted:

Still good games, though

morrowind is basically the poster child of "everything in this game is terrible and broken, and also the best at the same time"

but yeah my main oblivion memories are of spending game-weeks in that poor imp lady's house murdering her imps for +5s though after maxing everything sans luck it took the game's scaling a lot longer to catch up with me.

the hardest part was my self-imposed task of keeping jauffre alive through the story, that dude wanted to die SO BAD

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
If you're playing Oblivion without any mods and are having a good time you might have brain damage or an aneurysm.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Oblivion is my favorite TES game because it has some really good like, quest design, but all the dungeons are the worst poo poo ever. And you should try to not level up because eventually enemies just have shitloads of health that take like, 5 minutes of constant swinging to kill.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

i thought oblivion was okay once you installed something like oscuro's to get rid of the level scaling. i think my favorite thing about it is that while the environment was pretty generic, it felt more pleasant to spend a lot of time in than the gross swamps and ashlands of morrowind, the horrible irradiated desert wasteland of fallout 3 + NV, or the frozen hellhole of skyrim

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
My favorite part of Oblivion was the pre-release thread, when I pointed out there was a good chance spears would be cut from the game since there wasn't a single spear in any of the pre-release screencaps, and the entire forum called me a massive human being since obviously they would never do that.

My least favorite part of Oblivion is probably shortly after they released it and I played it for the first time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I wish they'd drop (or at least take a break from) the high-fantasy Elder Scrolls stuff and try something a little different. I want a game that's loving weird. And not like Morrowind where it is a very proud, established society in a strange landscape but like Alice in Wonderland what the gently caress is going on kind of weird.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I want Fear and Loathing in Elsweyr where you're high af on skooma and moon sugar the whole game.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Bolverkur posted:

there's nothing wrong with enjoying Oblivion. it's also nothing wrong with enjoying Skyrim. both are fine games in their own way.

what is wrong, and what will get the Balmora Council Club to loving murder you in your sleep, is saying it's better than Morrowind

Oblivion is unmitigated garbage.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

And Skyrim sucks too.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
After TESO I hope they take a break and try something new. Elder scrolls is fun, but maybe it should be revisited at a later date

Dec 26, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I wish they'd drop (or at least take a break from) the high-fantasy Elder Scrolls stuff and try something a little different. I want a game that's loving weird. And not like Morrowind where it is a very proud, established society in a strange landscape but like Alice in Wonderland what the gently caress is going on kind of weird.

this will never, ever happen

glad youre having fun op

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

The people saying this game is good are pants on head retarded. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

01011001 posted:

this will never, ever happen

glad youre having fun op

Yeah, I know :(

Still, considering what locations they have left to exploit I think there's a good chance the next game will take place either in Argonia or Elsweyr, both of which have a lot of potential for some unique environs. So that's something at least.

• Locked thread