Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

PantsBandit posted:

I wish they'd drop (or at least take a break from) the high-fantasy Elder Scrolls stuff and try something a little different. I want a game that's loving weird. And not like Morrowind where it is a very proud, established society in a strange landscape but like Alice in Wonderland what the gently caress is going on kind of weird.

shivering isles was like that it was pretty cool

not as good as everyone likes to rave about but oblivion is really bland so it looks super good in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kilroy posted:

My favorite part of Oblivion was the pre-release thread, when I pointed out there was a good chance spears would be cut from the game since there wasn't a single spear in any of the pre-release screencaps, and the entire forum called me a massive human being since obviously they would never do that.

My least favorite part of Oblivion is probably shortly after they released it and I played it for the first time.

Your probably the person with brain damage if this is what's exciting to you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
yeah my favorite kind of weapon is also the one that's basically a broom with a pointy bit on top :rolleyes:

I bet you use it to annaly pleasure yourself

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I predict there will be no spears.

*baby pumping his fist image*

There are no spears.

Me: *jackie chan face*

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, I know :(

Still, considering what locations they have left to exploit I think there's a good chance the next game will take place either in Argonia or Elsweyr, both of which have a lot of potential for some unique environs. So that's something at least.
You're going to be really disappointed when they retcon Black Marsh into a generic forest (without bothering to change the name, natch), and Elsweyr into some plains with a single sand dune, maybe.

Wormskull posted:

Your probably the person with brain damage if this is what's exciting to you.
I didn't say it was exciting I said it was my favorite part. That isn't saying a lot.

It didn't really happen the way you're dreaming it up. Someone posted a bunch of screencaps, I pointed it out, then it was literally just two pages of name calling and a mod threatening to probate me iirc. Then it came out and I didn't care anymore because it's a lovely game.

But don't let that stop your improv itt, have at it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the best part of oblivion is just farming oblivion gates for CHameleon sigil stones while still level 1 and making yourself a 100% chameleon suit of armor right away. From then on you can stab guards and they just run the gently caress away

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
PantsBandit, i recommend you give the Zeno Clash games a shot. The setting is not quite Wonderland weird, but it's still very very unique.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

conceitedguy posted:

And Skyrim sucks too.

When did you change your name to skyrim hahahaha

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

conceitedguy posted:

And Skyrim sucks too.

skyrim manages to be a huge improvement on oblivion in a lot of ways and still suck rear end and not hold a candle to new vegas

"hey, lets have a conventional level up system this time, and give characters perks when they level up"
"Wow, just like fall-out! what are these perks like? more damage and dialogue options to men/women and other interesting things?"
"10% more damage on one-handed attacks! the privilege of crafting with higher metals!"

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Every time someone mentions New Vegas I play through it again

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

crazkylo posted:

Every time someone mentions New Vegas I play through it again

That must be horrible.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

That must be horrible.

not really. have you played it? good game.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
don't level up, op, because then you won't have fun anymore.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

conceitedguy posted:

And Skyrim sucks too.

*withdraws hand quickly as if from a flame* Good lord.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

don't level up, op, because then you won't have fun anymore.

this was also the worst loving idea ever. what was up with 2006 RPGs all having this system? "everything levels up when you do. nevermind that your level ups may not involve combat at all and that it starts to get really broken past level 20 or so"

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

not really. have you played it? good game.

Yea and I disagree. And you know what. I'm glad Josh Sawyer "Ropekid" is presently homeless and sucking off dogs for money because his lovely game failed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The best part is when you put Kvatch off for a while to do other stuff and then when you try to go back and play it you realize how completely hosed you are because all the enemies are unkillable.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like using tgm and pretending it's a movie.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Everyone mentions the levelscaling enemies but the worst was the scaled quest rewards. They made unique items really weak and lovely if you got them at a low level.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Holy poo poo I just realized... Oblivion loving sucks!!!!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Buschmaki posted:

Everyone mentions the levelscaling enemies but the worst was the scaled quest rewards. They made unique items really weak and lovely if you got them at a low level.

this and the low number of unique items both bothered me

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be honest guys, I've only spent a few hours playing so far. I'm pretty sure I'm on the main quest, but I've done a lot of just wandering around. In other words, a bunch of stuff that is identically similar to what you might find in Morrowind or Skyrim. I haven't played enough, I think, to really find any bad things that are just bad.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

To be honest guys, I've only spent a few hours playing so far. I'm pretty sure I'm on the main quest, but I've done a lot of just wandering around. In other words, a bunch of stuff that is identically similar to what you might find in Morrowind or Skyrim. I haven't played enough, I think, to really find any bad things that are just bad.

The bad part is that you've played mostly all of the game now but there's still like 10 hours.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

2 things: google where umbra is
murder an innocent to get the best questline in the elder scrolls series

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One thing's for sure: I'm already sick and loving tired of scamps.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the best moment in oblivion hands down is when they only paid for one guard voice actor and they have to have 50 dudes yell FOR BRUMA and they just play the same sound effect over itself 50 times

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.
Halt you've violated the Law

haha just kidding have fun dude

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Buschmaki posted:

yes, the first mod i ever installed was one that automatically upgraded all the quest items in your inventory to your current level whenever you slept

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
did they ever fix their hosed up self cast shadows or do people turn that off now and use ambient occlusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

there's nothing wrong with enjoying Oblivion. it's also nothing wrong with enjoying Skyrim. both are fine games in their own way.

what is wrong, and what will get the Balmora Council Club to loving murder you in your sleep, is saying it's better than Morrowind

the one thing i will say about oblivion that blows morrowind out of the water is walking around near the Imperial City when this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuFXhcUz06s) starts playing, it's cool and gives me really homely/nostalgic feelings.

it'd be different if nerevar rising reprise (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuBB0JchGZc) was in morrowind though

• Locked thread