Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm convinced that Bo's ghost is haunting the school. His memory is probably the worst thing that could happen to Michigan. They've spent so many years fetishizing him that they've been stuck in 1994 for the last 20 years. Even Bama moved past Bear, so why can't the Michigan institutional organization get over Bo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BigBoss posted:

I'm convinced that Bo's ghost is haunting the school. His memory is probably the worst thing that could happen to Michigan. They've spent so many years fetishizing him that they've been stuck in 1994 for the last 20 years. Even Bama moved past Bear, so why can't the Michigan institutional organization get over Bo?
If you notice, most of the time when people invoke Bo, they're not describing Bo, his team, or his way of doing things. They're actually describing Lloyd Carr and calling him Bo, and the problem lies there and not with Bo himself.

10 years of bad ADs in the '90s left the football program free to do as it wanted, causing it to turn inward and start serving itself rather than the doing what was best for the program in the long run.

Winning the MNC in 1997 resulted in a cult of personality around Carr, who tied himself to Bo. The Cult of Carr then made Carr and Bo one. Carr then lost interest in actual coaching around 2005, and was more interested in being The Coach. At that point the program was largely on autopilot, with most of the coaching coming from the seniors coaching the underclassmen up to their level.

It all blew up in 2007, and after the Oregon debacle it was literally Mike Hart and Chad Henne that took control of the team and led them the rest of the way to the Cap One Bowl win over Florida. Bill Martin recognized Carr had to go, and forcing his retirement made the Carr Cult go berserk.

The result of all that is the last seven years as the fanbase has torn itself to pieces, then reunited in its hatred of Brandon and Hoke.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BigBoss posted:

It took Alabama literally hiring Nick Saban and winning a bunch of titles.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Deteriorata posted:

If you notice, most of the time when people invoke Bo, they're not describing Bo, his team, or his way of doing things. They're actually describing Lloyd Carr and calling him Bo, and the problem lies there and not with Bo himself.

I agree. The imperfect memory of Saint Bo or something has warped peoples' minds and perception. The reality of Bo as the man and coach, and "Bo" the symbol are two distinct things. By allowing the ghost of Bo to haunt the decisions, the people at and around Michigan have done themselves a great disservice.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

:toot:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Angelique Chengelis at the Detroit News is reporting that James Hackett, who played for Bo and was CEO at Steelcase, will be interim AD. Probably doesn't matter much as he won't be there for long.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Do we know if this is going to be streamed somewhere yet?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Do we know if this is going to be streamed somewhere yet?

WTKA, 1050AM, plans on streaming it, as is 97.1 The Ticket.

ESPN may cover it, I'm not sure.

Edit: These guys are going to stream it: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27175341/espn-michigan-athletic-director-dave-brandon-to-resign

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 31, 2014

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Angelique Chengelis at the Detroit News is reporting that James Hackett, who played for Bo and was CEO at Steelcase, will be interim AD. Probably doesn't matter much as he won't be there for long.

Yeah, I suspect he'll be there until Bates can leave BC.

Or, for maximum trolling, Jeff Long will be the new AD, but he'll remain as chairman of the playoff committee long enough to leave MSU and Notre Dame out of the playoffs, then take the U-M gig.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Deteriorata posted:

WTKA, 1050AM, plans on streaming it, as is 97.1 The Ticket.

ESPN may cover it, I'm not sure.

Edit: These guys are going to stream it: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27175341/espn-michigan-athletic-director-dave-brandon-to-resign

MLive too now: http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/10/watch_live_michigan_ad_dave_br.html

Scrode
Mar 6, 2002

It's about damn time...
What are the chances the Michigan hires someone just as incompetent as Brandon?

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Scrode posted:

100%

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

So all you had to do was create a new thread and that would get Brandon fired? Who knew it was so easy?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scrode posted:

Herman Cain

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LeeMajors posted:

Herman Cain

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Schlissel: Dave Brandon has resigned as AD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cPwcftqzgY

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

Schlissel: Dave Brandon has resigned as AD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cPwcftqzgY

Of course you picked some poo poo from the 30s.

More like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRQ2mNwMMQ

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Groucho Marxist posted:

So who's getting blamed when Michigan still sucks in 5 years?

Brady Hoke as he will still be there :unsmigghh:

LeeMajors posted:

Of course you picked some poo poo from the 30s.
lmao

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Emails released on Tuesday.

Brandon chose to resign on Wednesday.

I'm sure there was no connection.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Haha his Twitter account has been deleted.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Emails released on Tuesday.

Brandon chose to resign on Wednesday.

I'm sure there was no connection.

What day did donors start saying they would freeze donations if he stayed on?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Deteriorata posted:

They even name dropped Bo during the presser.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Brandon jumped off the Titanic early.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Video of presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9MrLSIqHsA

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I guess now they'll play hockey game organ music at football games instead of something from this century.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I guess now they'll play hockey game organ music at football games instead of something from this century.

Hockey game organ music is more Michigan State's thing.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Deteriorata posted:

Hockey game organ music is more Michigan State's thing.

I can't think of anything shittier and more annoying to listen to during a sporting event.

Well, maybe you guys can finally get a vuvuzela corps or something.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

wtftastic posted:

I can't think of anything shittier and more annoying to listen to during a sporting event.

Well, maybe you guys can finally get a vuvuzela corps or something.

Organ music rules for hockey and baseball. Cheapass owners keep firing organ players because they're idiots. gently caress you, Mike Illitch. Music clips being played DURING an NBA game is the worst sporting music.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

BigBoss posted:

Organ music rules for hockey and baseball. Cheapass owners keep firing organ players because they're idiots. gently caress you, Mike Illitch. Music clips being played DURING an NBA game is the worst sporting music.

Places for organ music: church, a classical music concert.

Places for loud rev up stupid music: sporting events.

I say this as someone who likes organs.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Now that Brandon's gone the noise level will go back from "funeral" to "wine tasting", just as God intended.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Now that Brandon's gone the noise level will go back from "funeral" to "wine tasting", just as God intended.

Well, we want it back to "SAT exam room" like when Bo was here :colbert:

"Wine tasting" is more appropriate for those Stanford luddites.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
First act of the new AD is gonna be to fire Brady Hoke and openly suggest that Harbaugh should bail on the Niners when they don't even make the playoffs.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

They better hire another delivery joint CEO because otherwise I won't laugh as much when someone talk about Michigan's AD.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're going to get some great AD who will calm the fanbase, say all the right things, give everyone plenty of hope and peace of mind

and then promptly hire John L. Smith :twisted:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

DJExile posted:

and then promptly hire John L. Smith :twisted:

Ty Willingham gives them an edge of diversity without having to resort to Photoshop.

:unsmigghh:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan doesn't even play organ music at their hockey games! We've got a 90 piece band!

They play Kesha and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6QDNC4jPs

Not surprisingly, Yost is the most fun building on campus.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

LeeMajors posted:

Ty Willingham gives them an edge of diversity without having to resort to Photoshop.

:unsmigghh:

I'm told John L Smith once defeated Florida State, a landmark achievement only matched by uh Wake Forest and NC State?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
People can figure whatever timeline they want for the start of Michigan's decline, but I am going to continue to give credit to Corey Lynch's blocked punt

34-32 forever :patriot:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

People can figure whatever timeline they want for the start of Michigan's decline, but I am going to continue to give credit to Corey Lynch's blocked punt

34-32 forever :patriot:

The decline had already set in the season before. App State had studied our game film all spring and summer and figured out how completely predictable and uninspired the coaching was. They knew going into that game exactly how to beat us and that they would.

Losing that game exposed a lot of the dry rot that had set in with the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm told John L Smith once defeated Florida State, a landmark achievement only matched by uh Wake Forest and NC State?

Tiki Barber at UVA.

Oh, and John Bunting at UNC :laugh:

• Locked thread