Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deteriorata posted:

Well, the basketball intro was short but well done.

At this point, the fat lady has sung and the soap opera in Ann Arbor has drawn to a close. We are a football school again.

I think future discussions can continue in other threads, so I will close this thread shortly unless somebody has a compelling reason to keep it open. Thanks to all the contributors.

Ann Arbor Torch & Pitchfork is now out of business. 2007-2014.

I will have some cool pictures of things later on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
without hope to crush, life would have no meaning.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Podcast is posted.

Main item of interest is Brian saying he had serious intelligence that Plan B was Mullen. I guess there really was a good reason he hadn't signed that extension yet.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AsInHowe posted:

Ann Arbor Torch & Pitchfork is now out of business. 2007-2014.

The Raiders now have a monopoly on :argh:

quote:

FOX Sports Live Verified account
‏@FOXSportsLive
"[The Raiders] offered Harbaugh more money than Michigan. Jim Harbaugh left money on the table." -- @MikeGarafolo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mark Davis responded to being turned down by consuming 12 human souls.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Garrison Keillor should be the color guy for big 10 football

Don't make him the color guy, make him the only announcer. I just want to hear one long stream of consciousness from the opening kick to the final gun. Keillor goes into commercial break rambling about letter jackets, comes back from commercial break rambling about ice fishing. Confused viewers at home having no idea how he got from one to the other, or what any of this has to do with the game on the field. Are any of the big ten schools Lutheran?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

HarlanHell posted:

Don't make him the color guy, make him the only announcer. I just want to hear one long stream of consciousness from the opening kick to the final gun. Keillor goes into commercial break rambling about letter jackets, comes back from commercial break rambling about ice fishing. Confused viewers at home having no idea how he got from one to the other, or what any of this has to do with the game on the field. Are any of the big ten schools Lutheran?

Minnesota statistically, if not officially.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

For those of you who want to start putting the pieces together on the cloak-and-dagger aspects of all this, here's a good read:

A Chat With Jim Harbaugh’s Lawyer: Weil Gotshal’s Jeff Klein

A couple highlights:

quote:

To the matter at hand. How did you land Jim Harbaugh as a client?

The short answer: I have no idea. Often, you know how you land a client — who refers you. But not here. I was cold-called by an associate of his. I met that person and then met Jim.

I take it the representation began this fall?

It did. I don’t really want to be more specific than that.

But it was important to get this done discreetly and with no publicity. Jim needed and wanted to stay focused on coaching the 49ers up through the final game [on Sunday]. If you watched how he coached that game and the way the team played for him up until the very last whistle and the very last play, you can tell where his mind was and where his dedication was. My job was to help him be able to keep that focus.

That cold call almost certainly came from Jack Harbaugh. And it probably came in late September or early October.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I guess Michigan got their Michigan Man in the end.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Komet posted:

I guess Michigan got their Michigan Man in the end.

The difference is that this time we got a great coach who happens to have already an enormous passion for the university. As opposed to hiring a guy with an enormous passion for the university whom we hope will turn out to be a decent coach.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HarlanHell posted:

I can spend a good like 5000 words ranting about how much I hate A Prarie Home Companion please do not bait me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

I can spend a good like 5000 words ranting about how much I hate A Prarie Home Companion please do not bait me.

I don't even get what its supposed to be about and I'm literally an Old White Man

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MourningView posted:

Try giving Spencer Hall and Jon Bois a shot to speak for you: http://www.sbnation.com/2013/10/18/4848470/a-prairie-home-companion-is-wretched-and-unlistenable

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Sash! posted:

I don't even get what its supposed to be about and I'm literally an Old White Man

*stares blankly at an episode of Saturday Night Live* uh i cant quite figure the plot here

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yeah I've seen that and it helped cement my eternal love for both. "Weaponized ordinary" is the most perfect way to describe that show imaginable, bless you, Jon Bois.

It is actually even more annoying if you happen to be from a tiny upper midwest town because THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE THINK IT IS ACTUALLY LIKE. Keilor is a traitor to his people. He has sold them out with his dumb folksy midwest white person mistrel show. He is an Uncle Jurgensen.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 31, 2014

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Jesus gently caress, Spencer's part was boring on purpose and I STILL gave up and skimmed it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I guess it really is time to close this thread.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Super late and jetlagged from traveling for the past 36 hours but this is exciting, though I fear the kind of fuel this will give the Michigan Man fire especially if Jim does everything people want him to do.

Deteriorata posted:

On his twitter, Ace Anbender said they recorded the podcast yesterday morning, and they did not talk about basketball. It will be posted tomorrow. With any luck, they'll fill us in on the details of how it all went down.

Also I went to high school with this guy, I knew he was in sports journalism but it's crazy to see him mentioned here, let alone tied to a big story like this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Super late and jetlagged from traveling for the past 36 hours but this is exciting, though I fear the kind of fuel this will give the Michigan Man fire especially if Jim does everything people want him to do.

Also I went to high school with this guy, I knew he was in sports journalism but it's crazy to see him mentioned here, let alone tied to a big story like this.

Apparently you don't read MGoBlog. Ace is the #2 guy there behind Brian Cook. Has been for a long time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When TFF brings me as much entertainment as this thread, why go anywhere else for ultimately inconsequential sports news? :v: I'll stop now so you lock this.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MourningView posted:

He is an Uncle Jurgensen.

Haha holy poo poo. I like PHC in small doses but this is a fantastic insult. :golfclap:

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Grew up in ND, so A Prairie Home Companion is shockingly accurate in the tales from Lake Wobegon bits.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Sash! posted:

It's about finding the most bland way possible to distract yourself from your own mortality. It's comfort food for scared, dumb people.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I'd love any recommendations for football blogs (about any team) that are as entertaining and well written as Brian's stuff.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Nothing brings people together like hating Prairie Home Companion.

A while back, I went to a Tigers game on the same night that that show was across the street at the Fox Theatre. I've never seen so many skittish white people wearing vests and poo poo in my life.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

AsInHowe posted:

Nothing brings people together like hating Prairie Home Companion.

A while back, I went to a Tigers game on the same night that that show was across the street at the Fox Theatre. I've never seen so many skittish white people wearing vests and poo poo in my life.
Let's combine tailgating and Prairie Home Companion, shall we?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaB9JxAU_wI

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Look at all these wrong ideas about Prairie Home Companion. Keillor is a genius and really dead on about the Upper Midwest.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

BUG JUG posted:

Look at all these wrong ideas about Prairie Home Companion. Keillor is a genius and really dead on about the Upper Midwest.

Someone older than Old Man D spotted

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

I Shake My Keys At Michigan Football Games

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BUG JUG posted:

I Shake My Keys At Michigan Football Games

Get out of my sightline

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neodoomium posted:

Finally, someone that can tell us what happened between the Big Bang and the first Planck time.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
According to John U Bacon and some other Michigan sources:

quote:

Harbaugh actually DID have a verbal agreement to coach here back in 2011 but a series of screw-ups and missed opportunities led him to taking the 49ers job and that Hoke was somewhat of a desperation "oh poo poo.....now what do we do" hire.

All of the past four years was completely unnecessary. Damnit, Brandon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"Hoke was somewhat of a desperation "oh poo poo.....now what do we do" hire."

This has been a blinding flash of the obvious since the beginning of the whole mess

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

According to John U Bacon and some other Michigan sources:

All of the past four years was completely unnecessary. Damnit, Brandon.

I wonder how much of it was actually Harbaugh coming to loathe Brandon and he ran the 49ers as a result. Getting rid of Brandon was reportedly one of his conditions for taking the job this time around.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Where did Tom Brady learn the Patriot way?

The University of Michigan: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/mom-of-stanford-transfer-lands-job-at-michigan/

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I like how they think the hiring of Tyrone Wheatley was the same type of situation.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Regnevelc posted:

I like how they think the hiring of Tyrone Wheatley was the same type of situation.

I can't believe Michigan gave Wheatley a scholarship for 4 years, just so 20 years later they could get the inside track on recruiting his son. It's disgusting!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Eltoasto posted:

I can't believe Michigan gave Wheatley a scholarship for 4 years, just so 20 years later they could get the inside track on recruiting his son. It's disgusting!

Does Biakabatuka have any kids ready for college yet?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Regnevelc posted:

Or that Michigan would hire someone in order to encourage a grad transfer (that was already reported to happen) who will probably be the team's #3/#4 CB for one season

If they wanted to write this article it should have been about Michigan hiring the #1 recruit for next year's former coach. That seems a lot more like what they're trying to say than anything that is actually in the article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Brian Cook has mentioned offhandedly to a couple of people that he had a long obituary of Dave Brandon coming. It came out today.

http://mgoblog.com/content/failure-0

quote:

That is how a guy can be in charge of three different things and still be an idiot: Dave Brandon's skill is for creating personal leverage for Dave Brandon. And there end the skills. There is that sub-genre of successful person that achieves seemingly without any reason to. They are nature's bullshitters. Charlie Weis is their treasurer. Dave Brandon is their king.

quote:

Dave Brandon's great failure is being a piece of poo poo human being. His overwhelming arrogance is not coupled with any intelligence. His skin is so thin he seemingly responded to every single lovely email he deserved. Despite growing up on and coming through Michigan he managed to escape without the tiniest semblance of why it might be special. He cannot stand dissent. He eviscerated Michigan's athletic department of its institutional memory specifically to engender personal loyalty. He identifies only one talent in the people he hires: his ability to make them heel.

Michigan deserved a caretaker of its great tradition. It got a megalomaniac who thought he was Jerry Jones. Dave Brandon is a McDonald's commercial come to life. He appears to be a man, walking and talking upright, but inside the thin veneer is nothing. Utterly nothing.

Dave Brandon is a hollow shell filled with nothing but pride and self-regard, a walking expression of venality. His only positive impact on the University of Michigan was reminding us what we treasure about the place by showing us the black, shriveled vacuum opposite.

Needless to say, I enjoyed it.

• Locked thread