Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thoguh posted:

Attendance at the Big House is a metaphor for the urban decay of Detroit.

The jangling keys represent the death of the auto industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not sure why it's being discussed here and not in the coaching thread.

I'm not sure why this entire thread isn't in the coaching thread.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

JesustheDarkLord posted:

At some point an AD was involved

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

At this point it probably could be, but when I created it it was unknown how long the circus would go on.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

JesustheDarkLord posted:

If this were UAB, it would probably fit in the coaching thread. It's kind of a big deal to watch Michigan go from "consistently good" to "a baby could do a better job" in a period of like 3 years.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BigBoss posted:

If this were UAB, it would probably fit in the coaching thread. It's kind of a big deal to watch Michigan go from "consistently good" to "a baby could do a better job" in a period of like 3 years.

That's basically the story of the Big Ten in the last dozen years. Michigan is only remarkable because of the army of irritating Michigan Men who think that the Fall of Michigan is anything other than symptomatic of the complete irrelevance of midwestern football.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

That's basically the story of the Big Ten in the last dozen years. Michigan is only remarkable because of the army of irritating Michigan Men who think that the Fall of Michigan is anything other than symptomatic of the complete irrelevance of midwestern football.

Sorry that Michigan is stealing some space in Northwestern's cardboard box over the heating grate. We'll be getting our poo poo together and moving back into permanent housing shortly, so you can finish your bottle of Thunderbird in peace.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
An irrelevant program calling an irrelevant program irrelevant.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

This one's for all the fiat currency
You have convinced me that Brent Musberger must announce this game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Northwestern fans threw the goalposts into a lake and chanted "We're the worst!" when they broke the record for most consecutive losses, they're cool by me

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

BigBoss posted:

It can happen anywhere if the program stagnates and then you make a couple of bad coaching hires. Look at Tennessee.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

BigBoss posted:

Tennessee did it. Nebraska did it. Notre Dame did it. With any luck, Florida is doing it. USC almost pulled it off. Colorado's situation might have been worth its own thread.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Consider this thread a quarantine because Michigan Men wouldn't shut up about David Brandon and how he stole their picnic baskets.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Tennessee did it. Nebraska did it. Notre Dame did it. With any luck, Florida is doing it. USC almost pulled it off. Colorado's situation might have been worth its own thread.

When Notre Dame went into free-fall it was big news too. I would love to read a thread making GBS threads on Charlie Weiss. If there wasn't one, you guys missed out. Either way, threads devoted to large stories of interest is a good thing. Megathreads can become unwieldy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michigan is the biggest certain vacancy right now by a wide margin and would be like 90% of the posts in the other one. It's fine on its own.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Alouicious posted:

Northwestern fans threw the goalposts into a lake and chanted "We're the worst!" when they broke the record for most consecutive losses, they're cool by me

Yeah, this was pretty great.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

This cropped up on twitter:

quote:

Alex Cook ‏@alexcook616 9h9 hours ago

Michigan's interim AD follows a bunch of school-related feeds, but also this, which is interesting: pic.twitter.com/FmLylKLhpE
0 replies 15 retweets 17 favorites

I don't know if this is an ongoing concern of his, being a former player, or something he's trying to get up to speed on due to the Shane Morris incident. I'm glad for it whatever the reason.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
That's a fake account.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

That's a fake account.

Figures. Nothing on Twitter is real.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Regnevelc posted:

That's a fake account.

Are you sure?

quote:

James Hackett ‏@JamesHackettAD
Can we get back to the real topic at hand: ethics in video game journalism?
11:03 AM - 6 Nov 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Has it been mentioned that members and alumni of the athletic department are calling the non athlete students at Michigan "muggles" because lol that is the most hilariously Michigan thing ever.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Has it been mentioned that members and alumni of the athletic department are calling the non athlete students at Michigan "muggles" because lol that is the most hilariously Michigan thing ever.

A Michigan Man appreciates fine YA literature.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Harvard of the midwest

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It seems to have originated with the current players as something of an inside joke. Brandon got wind of it and began using it as a rallying cry to get the former players on his side and try to save his job.

It's all kind of dumb.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hoke: You're a wizard Shaney.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Deteriorata posted:

It seems to have originated with the current players as something of an inside joke. Brandon got wind of it and began using it as a rallying cry to get the former players on his side and try to save his job.

It's all kind of dumb.

Vincent Smith of "That Clowney GIF" fame was on MGoBlog's board saying this exact thing the other day. Obviously there's going to be some bunker mentality but from what Smith was saying it was never meant to be derogatory when they started.

Kalli posted:

Hoke: You're a wizard Shaney.

Hoke, after leaving Morris in the game: "I should not have done that, I should NOT have done that."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Harvard Hogwarts of the midwest

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
It's funny cuz saying "Dave Brandon" has the exact same effect on Michigan Men as saying "Voldemort" does in the books

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raku posted:

It's funny cuz saying "Dave Brandon" has the exact same effect on Michigan Men as saying "Voldemort" does in the books

Figuring out where he's buried the horcruxes is going to be a bitch.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
Look what showed up in the Michigan Daily today:

http://www.michigandaily.com/news/university-lacks-policy-retain-employee-communications-public-record

quote:

In a March 28, 2014 response to The Michigan Daily, Patricia Sellinger, the University’s Freedom of Information Act coordinator, indicated “there are no responsive records” corresponding to the request submitted for “all e-mails sent to and from Athletic Director Dave Brandon between March 13 and 14, 2014.”

A similar request for e-mails sent to and from Brandon — who resigned his post Oct. 31 — between July 24 and July 26, 2013 was denied on the same grounds. Both requests were made during the process of investigating the circumstances surrounding former kicker Brendan Gibbons’ permanent separation from the University for violating the Student Sexual Misconduct Policy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
As always, Teamcatlab had the best take on the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVnKIjBkGVE

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Good article at The Daily with President Schlissel talking sports, academics (specifically UNC), and athletic directors. As to the time scale involved here:

quote:

Schlissel added that [Faculty Liaison] Curzan said the Athletic Department “often tries to keep her at arm’s length,” expressing frustration regarding the marginalization of faculty governance in these matters.

“That’s why I’m taking a bit of time with the search for Dave’s successor,” Schlissel said. “Some folks wanted me to hire an athletic director (earlier) so he could fire the current football coach and hire the next coach but I want to take the time to make sure we get someone who is not only technically adept, but can ensure that the program has financial and academic integrity, and also someone who shares the value system of realizing our mission.

“People have been saying all kinds of things about who I’m talking to about positions and this sports stuff, and they name names of people who I have no idea who they are,” Schlissel said. “I’ve really learned that this whole athletic sphere and the usual way you approach things just doesn’t work. It’s just a crazed or irrational approach that the world and the media takes to athletics decisions.

“It’s a time sink,” he added.

Schlissel said he hasn’t formally looked for anyone to permanently fill the athletic director position.

Schlissel emphasized that his greatest concern with the Athletic Department is its “diminishing connectedness” to the rest of campus, which he attributed to its size and financial stability, since it is financially independent from the University’s General Fund.

There's lots of stuff to quote and highlight which basically becomes the entire article, so I would encourage clicking through and reading it on their site.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Good article at The Daily with President Schlissel talking sports, academics (specifically UNC), and athletic directors. As to the time scale involved here:

There's lots of stuff to quote and highlight which basically becomes the entire article, so I would encourage clicking through and reading it on their site.

quote:

University President Mark Schlissel discussed the “sports stuff” that has transpired over the past semester

hahaha. This is a pretty good article though and full credit to him to being patient on the whole process.

Related, Detroit News is saying Hackett will be paid $600k and his appointment letter says his term is "indefinite".

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I like how this reached a boiling point because of the Minnesota Gophers :allears:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I like how this reached a boiling point because of the Minnesota Gophers :allears:

Losing the Jug is pretty serious business.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Even in our 3-8 season we crushed Minnesota.

So yeah, heads need to roll when you lose to Minnesota. Although had Hoke started Gardner, I do think Michigan would have won.

Tho we would be heading towards an 9-4/8-5 season, no 'concussion-gate' and Hoke/Brandon may have survived that.... and gross.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Although had Hoke started Gardner, I do think Michigan would have won.

haha, really? That game wasn't even close. Gardner has caught some bad luck, but he's also not very good and has lost to a lot of lovely teams.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

haha, really? That game wasn't even close. Gardner has caught some bad luck, but he's also not very good and has lost to a lot of lovely teams.

It was close until the second half when Michigan's defense had been on the field for 90% of the first half since Morris couldn't sustain a drive.

Gardner came in and led them to a TD on his first drive.

It was 10-7 at half.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

This one's for all the fiat currency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Even in our 3-8 season we crushed Minnesota.

So yeah, heads need to roll when you lose to Minnesota. Although had Hoke started Gardner, I do think Michigan would have won.

Tho we would be heading towards an 9-4/8-5 season, no 'concussion-gate' and Hoke/Brandon may have survived that.... and gross.

I was being facetious. Lloyd Carr lost to Minnesota, so did Bo - when Minnesota was far worse than they are now.

The Minnesota game catalyzed a lot of events that were going to happen anyway. The nonsense after the Morris incident was typical of how everything in the athletic department was being handled, and if it hadn't blown up over Morris there would have been some other incident shortly thereafter that would have had the same result.

• Locked thread