Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

computer parts posted:

I don't think Texas fans are that stupid yet.

Good god I hope not. Anyone calling for Strong's head before AT LEAST the midpoint of the 2016 season is not worth listening to. And things would have to be dire indeed for it to be reasonable then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

AsInHowe posted:

Michigan's gonna end up re-hiring Brady Hoke.

Nonsense, they'll surprise everyone by hiring an unknown coach named Hady Broke. Unlike Brady Hoke, he has a goatee.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Probably should have made it 49 for the symbolic value

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I'm gonna go ahead and admit now that I will be jealous if Michigan successfully lands a massive splash hire by throwing all the moneys at him. I think Charlie Strong was the best coach for our particular situation who was legitimately on the market last year. I don't think he would have been on the market for most schools, and I applaud Steve Patterson for landing him (but basically nothing since then). I do think Art Briles was a real possibility, and I may still live to regret the day we let him slip through our fingers. Saban... I don't think Saban was ever seriously interested in us. I'm sure he heard us out, but even if there was some amount of money we could have thrown at him that would've eventually gotten him to relent, I don't think for a second he actually wanted to be here. I will also say that I wouldn't have expected the on-the-field product to be any better under Saban this year than it was under Strong, but I think recruiting would've immediately gone off the charts, which it hasn't.

If Michigan actually pulls this off... drat. I've still got my doubts of course, but it doesn't seem impossible. I suppose I have a soft spot for historical blueblood programs that are down and out. Except for ND because gently caress them always and forever.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

AsInHowe posted:

the original offer was 48n, then someone came up with the idea of an extra million for symbolism.

it was me

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

AsInHowe posted:

Will the helmets and jerseys match

Texas hasn't had jerseys and helmets that match for a while and I am unreasonably bothered by it. Also the orange on our field is entirely wrong, it's much too bright. The bball court has the right color, but the football field is like Okie Lite orange.

Yes I know my avatar is the wrong color too

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Feces Starship posted:

He says this is a homecoming, and it feels like one. He's talking to his wife, to his brother in the front rows of the press conference. He's telling stories and remembering. He's talking to his dad. He's talking about the way that they used to save money to buy a Michigan sweatshirt from Moe's. He remembers running through Ann Arbor as a kid when the city was shut down by a blizzard. He remembered it feeling private, like it belonged to him.

It reminded me of being very very small and growing up here. I remember the fuzz of the radio driving in my dad's Plymouth Reliant as a broadcast from the Big House crackled through the speakers. It reminded me of seeing a bolt of dark blue shooting up from the top of a stocking hanging above the fireplace as I ran down the stairs and KNOWING that I got just what I wanted. It's about a public experience being made private and, at once, something deeply personal being shared with a whole community.

It reminded me of talking with my wife about Michigan. It reminded me of talking with my dad.

And that's all the news from Lake Michigon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Where the men are old, the women are old, and the children are somehow also old

• Locked thread