Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I haven't seen this discussed here yet - Sam Webb during the MGoBlog Roundtable on Thursday gave two lil nuggs of info that I thought were interesting:

(1) he is "very sure" that the "worst case scenario" is Les Miles, who - to his knowledge - will certainly come if asked; and
(2) Michigan has limited its list down to four guys.

We know the identity of three of those guys with good certainty:

1.) Jim Harbaugh
2.) Les Miles
3.) A Big Ten Coordinator (so that's got to be Herman, but I suppose it could be Narduzzi)
4.) ?

Who do you think that the fourth guy is? I don't think it's Mullen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I didn't realize Sam Webb was on the "moron" list. I was also just relaying what he said.

I have no misconceptions that michigan is awesome and great; my rage quit post on this very forum was back in 2011 when I said brady hoke was a worse hire than jerry kill. This forum's response was when a bunch of totally objective posters that were entirely not overly influenced by someone expressing an opinion from a position of authority laughed at me because kill was just the worst, man

Also the last time Michigan got its first choice is pretty well documented to be in 2011, when noted moron David Brandon terminated Rich Rodriguez because of reasons and hired Brady Hoke, who was the perfect candidate for Brandon's misunderstanding of priorities and megalomania.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Michigan is deffo not Tier 1 atm, and I would absolutely not put Nebraska and Wisconsin in that same pool of jobs. Hell, Penn State isn't a GREAT job.

Wait. Are you saying Michigan isn't a 1A job? Or that Michigan isn't a tier one job at all, based on this pile of schools.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Alouicious posted:

Just because Purdue isn't competing for the national title right NOW, doesn't mean it won't be

"Clearly, no Big Ten team could ever ascend to greatness," the not-Baylor not-TCU fan laughed haughtily.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I really do think that the culture at Michigan can change and is starting to change. I think that the way Rodriguez has flourished at Arizona has been a big wakeup call. A lot of the old rah-rah guys openly say that they just want someone who will win, offensive system and connections be damned.

Also, in a weird way, Brandon's insanity will have helped the program because it swept away all the institutional memory through staff purges. Now that Brandon is gone I don't think the old guard will be coming back.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
There's a huge divide in the reports between the NFL people and the Michigan people. I do not doubt that the NFL reporters and the Michigan reporters are leveraging sources that they trust and that have been right in the past. The observable evidence points this way too, because Michigan would be totally insane not to have moved on if they'd been told that Harbaugh will stay in the NFL for certain. But a source can only convey what he or she knows or is told, and nobody is - or CAN be - inside Jim Harbaugh's head.

So here's the only thing, from my perspective, that makes sense: I don't think Jim Harbaugh knows what he wants to do. I don't think that he wants to give Michigan the impression he's staying - if he does, Michigan will promptly hire the second-place candidate because time is ticking. I also don't think that he wants to give the NFL the impression he's wavering, though, because he needs to be traded to coach next year and he can't afford to tank his own trade value if he ultimately decides to stay in the NFL.

I infer two things from this. One is a inference I'm confident in, one is an inference I'm not.

Confidence first: I think Harbaugh is being strategic in "playing" both sides. I don't like that word because it implies malice or disrespect, but all I mean is that he's told people who he knows will talk to NFL people that he's staying and he's told people who he knows will talk to Michigan people that he's going. My guess is that he's done this to buy time to make a very important choice because it'd be a hard choice to make, I think.

Now the other inference. My autistic, flawed understanding of human behavior has led me to note a trend that seems to pop up for people who are choosing between two options. Suppose option A is the option that most people agree will be better or stronger. Now suppose option B is the option that has special importance to the chooser. Most people facing this type of decision, I've found, tend to choose option A. So I think this will all end in Harbaugh choosing to stay in the NFL. And while that personally sucks for me, he's gotta do what makes him happy. It's just entertainment for me. It's his life.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They've ran the ball extremely well (they're 2nd in the NFL) and their defense has largely been good -- though some of that could be Rex. I honestly think if they had a remotely decent QB they wouldn't have been so bad. But like we've said, I don't think anyone really knows what he wants to do and I think it would be silly to think that he'd make a decision before the other NFL teams can even make an offer.

I additionally think that almost has to mean that option 2 is Greg Schiano.

Second option for Michigan, or for the Jets? Although my personal read on this saga more closely aligns with yours over Howe's, I really don't think Michigan will be hiring Greg Schiano over other candidates. I think that's your desire to see Michigan gently caress this up shining through.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

Michigan also very well could be being played here by Harbaugh and his folks. If he wants to stay in the NFL, he won't want his new team to cripple themselves in order to get him via a trade. Threatening to go to Michigan is a great way to compel SF to lower their price in a potential trade.

Also it makes no sense for SF to fire him. He'll either void his contract by accepting a job at UM, or they can trade him. It's pure delusion to think that they'll give up all their leverage just to enable Michigan, or whatever other reason y'all think they'll just willingly pay him not to coach there AND get nothing in return.

Fully co-sign on second paragraph. That'd be insane. The Niners will either get buyout money or draft picks from this.

But the first? I dunno. I do think Harbaugh likes his alma mater and wouldn't gently caress them over. He might be undecided or even leaning to another NFL job but I don't think he's straight up using Michigan.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

AsInHowe posted:

Jim Harbaugh is negotiating a buyout with San Francisco, per a desk editor at the Detroit News.

Link?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Deteriorata posted:

If he hires Harbaugh away they're gonna need a new name for the Ross business school.

I know you're kidding, but no way. Ross can't be thanked enough for what he's done. Football is a game (and a business) at the end of the day. His charity was way too awesome to be undone by something as simple as this.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Leaks do not happen by accident, they happen for a reason.

There's no reason for the offer to have been leaked that is good for Michigan.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Deteriorata posted:

All indications are that it was leaked deliberately by the Michigan people. I'm not sure what that purpose was, but apparently they do have a signed MoU with Harbaugh over the contract at this point. It's not legally binding until the 9ers season is over, though, so it's still not certain.

If you're following NFL sources, they universally know nothing.

Brother I know what board 5 is too. But let's assume the rumor about an MOU is true. Let's even go further and assume that Michigan leaked it? What would the possible reason for releasing the leak be?

I can see two potential reasons, and both bode poorly for Harbaugh coming:
(1) I am Jim Hackett and I know Harbaugh is not coming, but I want to show the fanbase that I put my dick on the table and did my best.
(2) I am Jim Hackett and I know Harbaugh is not coming, but I want to show other A-list coaches that I'm going to pay a shitload in hopes that some of the "no thanks"-es become "on second thought..."s.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Wait. Fill in the blank for me:

Hackett presents offer to Harbaugh's agent yesterday -> ___________ -> NFL reporters know length and value of offer.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I should say this - assuming that the NFL reporters reports are correct, we should give some props to the "insiders" who called their shot about the size of the contract about a week ago.

That being said, it leaves open the possibility that this is all echo chamber horseshit and nothing is different than two weeks ago.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
vv Good point.

I think that Feldman is off-base, and it has nothing to do with his pessimism about the deal. I just don't think Schiano warrants a "close look" from literally any power conference college team at this point.

Look, Pitt is considering hiring him, and the Pitt fans don't like it. I understand Michigan is no longer a coveted job, but should Michigan really be considering a coach Pitt doesn't feel has the requisite upside to lead their program?

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 19, 2014

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

disheveled posted:

I just can't fathom where that Sean Payton rumor is even coming from. It is so bad — did someone just decide to troll the hell out of a reporter? It's message board garbage at it's worst. It's conceivable that the search firm might have contacted his agent to cover all bases, but Payton isn't going to be interested in Michigan under any circumstances. How could he possibly be a target?

Couldn't agree more.

I think some people have trouble separating what they want to be true from what they think might be true. PAYTON TO MICHIGAN is, I think, one of those instances.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Because the entire notion that the entirety of the search was conducted as a public relations exercise for the benefit of the UM fanbase, since according to multiple people ITT this has been a done deal since before they fired Hoke is pure fiction; HTH.

I will believe he's the coach when I am screaming like a girl as he's introduced at halftime of a basketball game and not an instant before.

But that being said, you're moving the goalposts here about the rumors being ludicrous.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Neodoomium posted:

For the record, my own personal amusement will not be at the people who have been making fun of D and Howe, but at the people who couldn't wait to tell us that Michigan was not a destination anyone would want to come to, and that they were out of their minds to think they had a shot at Jim Harbaugh, Michigan Graduate.

I will also be amused as people pile in to attempt to claim this is a failure of a hire and Michigan botched it in some way. They got the best guy they could possibly get.

We used to have a macro about free agency that I've recalled recently.

This exactly.

If it happens as it appears it will, this is the best hire in college football since Urban Meyer to OSU. And just as then, the only people who are criticizing it are the people who wish to see that team or that coach fail. And that's fine - go for it, MSU fans, you deserve the schadenfreude - but that's all it is: unabashed hope for failure.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

LLCoolJD posted:

Also, Harbaugh hasn't been hired by Michigan yet. It's still a bit early to be uncorking the champagne.

This a billion times.

He's probably one of the 20 or 25 best football coaches in the world. I guarantee he'll have suitors to the final bell. It's not over til it's over.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I'm so happy. It doesn't feel like elation, it feels like calm.

I don't know if winning will return, although I bet it does. But I do know that the era of stupid is over.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Brought the house down.

This pleases me. This heals me.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
He says this is a homecoming, and it feels like one. He's talking to his wife, to his brother in the front rows of the press conference. He's telling stories and remembering. He's talking to his dad. He's talking about the way that they used to save money to buy a Michigan sweatshirt from Moe's. He remembers running through Ann Arbor as a kid when the city was shut down by a blizzard. He remembered it feeling private, like it belonged to him.

It reminded me of being very very small and growing up here. I remember the fuzz of the radio driving in my dad's Plymouth Reliant as a broadcast from the Big House crackled through the speakers. It reminded me of seeing a bolt of dark blue shooting up from the top of a stocking hanging above the fireplace as I ran down the stairs and KNOWING that I got just what I wanted. It's about a public experience being made private and, at once, something deeply personal being shared with a whole community.

It reminded me of talking with my wife about Michigan. It reminded me of talking with my dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Thermos H Christ posted:

And that's all the news from Lake Michigon

I think it might be time for all the children to be above average again.

EDIT: Seconds too late!

• Locked thread