Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gonna have to call my mom about this later, she's pissed about the state of the football program but also gave Brandon a lot of credit for investing in new facilities and revenue to sports programs that don't normally make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Emails released on Tuesday.

Brandon chose to resign on Wednesday.

I'm sure there was no connection.

What day did donors start saying they would freeze donations if he stayed on?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Harvard Hogwarts of the midwest

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fisticuffs posted:

I laugh every single time Rich Rod wins at UA lol he could be stylin at Ann Arbor right now

This is exactly what I said to my mom yesterday. The best-case scenario for all of this is that it kills the Michigan Man narrative (especially if Arizona can win next week and get a playoff spot) but I know not to get my hopes up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

go3 posted:

They're gonna double down so loving hard on the Michigan Man thing

Harbaugh is the only Michigan Man on anyone's radar and by no means a sure thing as far as availability is concerned. Unless there's some lost son of the Michigan program no one's heard of then they might not have a choice, at least for this next coaching stint.

Also my brother was trying to tell me the other day that Harbaugh has a clause in his contract with SF that he can opt out to coach for Michigan at any time :lol: There' s no way such a thing exists, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
To me, it all comes down to the fact that Michigan is taking a relatively long time to make a hiring decision, which I think has two explanations-

1. They have a handshake agreement for Harbaugh, but can't act until his NFL season is done.
2. The Michigan athletic department has absolutely no idea what it's doing in this search.

And honestly, after what we've seen that second option isn't too far out there. To steer the conversation away from wild speculation and dogpiling, do we know anything new about how Michigan is going to fill its AD slot? It seems like a bad way to reset your football chain of command by getting a coach and then hoping to get an AD with whom he gets along, especially since a good chunk of the "Harbaugh leaving the 49ers" talk comes from his clashes with upper management there.

E:

Neodoomium posted:

No friend of Brandon will ever be invited to MY birthday party :colbert:

My brother is interning in the AD's IT department, and the head of IT who hired my brother used to work with my mom. Apparently Brandon treated him and his wife really well and would invite them to dinner parties/fundraisers all the time, so he was pretty bummed out when Brandon got fired otherwise I'd be trying to get actual hot scoops out of him.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 13, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

If Harbaugh comes, I suspect he gets to pick the AD.

Letting your brand-new football coach pick your AD seems really dangerous and almost condescending to the other athletic programs at the university. Then again, an athletic department vesting too much power into its football program is nothing new and certainly not a problem isolated to Michigan. If that's the case I would hope that Harbaugh at least talks to some of the other coaches or athletic personnel for their input, but I'm skeptical as to if he would do that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wish there a way that Michigan could separate itself from the deification its former coaches without child rape being involved. Has there been a noticeable shift in football culture in the couple years since that whole mess went down, or was it all concentrated in the immediate fallout over Sandusky?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also, if you let your HC pick your AD you're retarded an you can likely kiss a bunch of other coaches good bye if they don't like him.

I had the same fear a couple pages back, especially since one of the things allegedly driving Harbaugh out of SF is clashing with upper management. The sad truth about this possibility is that as long as the new AD gets along with Harbaugh and probably Beilein, I doubt the university will care.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't buy into the Michigan Man/Schembechler myth but it is kind of creepy that he died the day before Michigan's last game as a nationally relevant program (2006 @OSU).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That's great and all but the sooner Michigan exorcises Bo, the sooner it returns to relevancy. If something big is about to go down please either be tomorrow or wait until New Year's so I can witness it firsthand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've heard Harbaugh come up a couple times to fill in the opening that Miami will probably have this offseason, and of course Miami's owner is a Michigan alum. It'll be interesting if it comes down to those two spots, though naturally Harbaugh turned down Miami before and we don't even know if there will be a vacancy there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AsInHowe posted:

Jim Harbaugh is negotiating a buyout with San Francisco, per a desk editor at the Detroit News.

I love this post and I love you even if you went to the inferior Michigan small liberal arts college.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AsInHowe posted:

The Detroit Free Press' front page, with their most comprehensive Michigan-related journalism since Rich Rod.

Pretty sure that's a pic of John Harbaugh :laffo:
E: Unless that's what you were pointing out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
While I am technically a Michigan fan and am excited for Harbaugh to come here, I also think it would be really funny if he laid a giant turd of a season after all this back-and-forth we've had here, even if he turns it around the following year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Super late and jetlagged from traveling for the past 36 hours but this is exciting, though I fear the kind of fuel this will give the Michigan Man fire especially if Jim does everything people want him to do.

Deteriorata posted:

On his twitter, Ace Anbender said they recorded the podcast yesterday morning, and they did not talk about basketball. It will be posted tomorrow. With any luck, they'll fill us in on the details of how it all went down.

Also I went to high school with this guy, I knew he was in sports journalism but it's crazy to see him mentioned here, let alone tied to a big story like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
When TFF brings me as much entertainment as this thread, why go anywhere else for ultimately inconsequential sports news? :v: I'll stop now so you lock this.

• Locked thread