Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Brandon fired on Halloween is a pretty, pretty, pretty good treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Also, no way a Friend of Lloyd would have been canned abruptly like that.

Rich Rod? Oh, they'd have fired the poo poo out of him on the way to the locker room.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Angelique Chengelis at the Detroit News is reporting that James Hackett, who played for Bo and was CEO at Steelcase, will be interim AD. Probably doesn't matter much as he won't be there for long.

Yeah, I suspect he'll be there until Bates can leave BC.

Or, for maximum trolling, Jeff Long will be the new AD, but he'll remain as chairman of the playoff committee long enough to leave MSU and Notre Dame out of the playoffs, then take the U-M gig.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
U-M is going after Harbaugh, which means they have to wait until January for the Niners season to end. If they don't get him then I think there's a very real chance Hoke comes back due to the timing.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

That is so stupid, and proof positive that nothing has changed. Just hire Mullen and start counting your Rose Bowls.

Of course nothing has changed. An interim AD with zero experience is going to make the firing/hiring decisions, how could that miss?

EDIT - They'd never hire Mullen, even if he were interested. He'd just get chewed up and spit out Rich Rod style.

Karmalaa70 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 21, 2014

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Unless they're keeping things impossibly quiet, Hackett's going to be firing Hoke and hiring the next coach. A couple days ago I thought Hoke might get another year after the Harbaugh hail mary fails, but I don't think that's going to happen after a 5-7 season (I was assuming they'd beat Maryland at home and make a poo poo bowl).

Letting an interim with no experience make this hire seems insane on the surface, so I'm guessing/hoping that Hackett has some prior relationship with Harbaugh and/or Miles. Or maybe the U-M administration is really just galactically incompetent and incapable of learning from previous fuckups.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

Yes, but at least Hackett hasn't publicly said that being a 'Michigan Man is the #1 requirement for this job.'

Hackett is going to be the full time AD I have a feeling.

John U. Bacon (seems absurd to type his full name out but just saying Bacon is also weird) was on the radio Friday saying there was no chance it'd be an outside hire, so...yeah. Inbreeding is the name of the game at U-M.

It'd be the most Michigan thing ever to hire Les Miles now, 7 years too late and having let the program go to poo poo, all because he wasn't Lloyd Carr approved.

EDIT - Hackett is almost surely going to be the full time AD. I think they're waiting until after the coaching firing/hiring to announce his status. No one will care if he actually makes a good hire, but there'll be some great meltdowns with another steamer.

I also will never understand why U-M doesn't understand that having an AD who has had that job before is a GOOD thing.

Karmalaa70 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 24, 2014

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
At least he didn't say RETAIL ACTIVATION, so it's a minor step up from Big Dave Brandon.

Michigan is like the only place where experience is apparently a negative when applying for a job.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

go3 posted:

They're gonna double down so loving hard on the Michigan Man thing

There aren't any left. Brady Hoke is the shining star of Lloyd Carr's coaching tree.

Not even kidding.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
When was the Minnesota game, late September/early October, right? Hoke should have been canned that Sunday or Monday, and here we are ~7 weeks later still waiting for the oa....lummox! to be fired. It's not like the team righted itself during that time or anything, so what is the holdup?

Although I don't know why I'm eagerly awaiting this, because chances are very high Michigan will completely botch the next hire anyway.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Lloyd Carr's primary lapdog Mike DeBord is running football operations until the new coach is hired, so to think that LC has no say/influence is delusional.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Won't believe it until introductory PC.

(but holy poo poo if true)

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Michigan has poo poo tons of money and they're desperate after letting the program go to hell the last decade? This isn't complicated.

Original terms (I think reported by Sam Webb) were 8 years, same money, so it'd be $6 million/year.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Apparently the meeting with the regents and the agent and whoever else went well. White smoke over Schembechler Hall.

Heh, I just read that on the far edges of the internet too. 'Tony' is the man.

I'll still only believe it once there is an intro PC, but if this happens, Hoke to Harbaugh has to be one of the biggest coaching upgrades ever.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

DJExile posted:

He's been offered twice: After Lloyd Carr and after Rich Rod. Second time he laughed them away and got a raise from LSU.

Nope and nope, but thanks for playing.

Getting your info from Football Scoop? I hear it's a great website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

DJExile posted:

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_reached_out_to_lsu_co.html

I had my dates mixed but the fact is they've approached him at least twice, both unsuccessfully. I don't fault them for trying, mind you, but Les isn't exactly chomping at the bit to go to Michigan.

2007 - correct. Michigan would have offered but LSU gave him the take it or leave it extension.

2010 - No offer and there was never going to be. Brandon said he'd hire Miles "over my dead body" so I don't know where that's coming from but whatever.

• Locked thread